✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

hard but interesting review of Speed of Sound

Plajia

a website called Pithforkmedia.com (music reviews) did a review of the track SOS.. they guy totaly bashed the lyrics and did a Clock's reference... humm

even if I like SOS...I agree a portion of the review..

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but flattery can come off as insincere-- so what does it mean if you imitate yourself? Well, in Coldplay's case, it means a guaranteed reservation in singles charts all across the world. On "Speed of Sound", the Chris Martin Experience take the pretty ditzy melody and motion of one of their most popular songs (that'd be "Clocks") and do a little Vanilla Ice pressurizing. Then they top it with pretty ditzy talk about inventions and planets and things that go woosh in the universe, mirroring what was discussed in one of their other popular hits (i.e. "The Scientist"). Gussy it all up with the finest echo and chicanery one can pilfer from the Eno & Lillywhite catalogs, and voila! Four million served just like that.

Here's Apple's pop on the business of Coldplay's somewhat vague lyrical stylings: "Some things you have to believe/ Others are puzzles, puzzlin me." Riddle me this then-- how is Earth traveling at the speed of sound, while every other planet gets to zip through space at the speed of light? In case you're wondering, the Earth actually travels at approximately three times the speed of sound, while the other planets in our solar system travel at speeds nowhere near the speed of light. Also, if you can find another part of a mountain to climb other than "the side," then you might be a genius. If there are any lyric cops reading this, please make sure Mr. Martin's poetic license has been renewed. Or you can do what I do when I hear this song, and kindly tell that joykilling part of the brain to, um, take a chill pill. [David Raposa]

this is the link: http://pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-04-28.shtml

To me, if anyone needs to take a chill pill is that David Raposa guy. It's a SONG, just because Chris says "planets are traveling at the speed of light" doesn't mean it actually is. It's not meant to be taken literally. :rolleyes:

As for SoS sounding like clocks, it only has the same progression. I don't know why people dwell on this so much. SoS is supposed to be a bridge from AROBTTH to X&Y, and therefore the two songs are bridged together. Does this only make sense to me?!

I remember listening to the five live tracks that were released a while ago and thinking SoS was definetely the worst... It is still good but not on par w/ "Square One" or "White Shadows." And, be honest, the lyrics are not that great... I can't even tell what he's singing about... That said, the lyrics in the two songs I mentioned before (Square One, White Shadows) are some of the very best lyrics Chris has ever written.

Don't take pitchfork too seriously' date=' they are nitorious for hating most music.[/quote']

Well to be fair...they just hate Coldplay. But eh, they can't be everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah, this fella I think is taking the lyrics a tad bit too literally. He probably knows that, he just thinks it's cute or something to expound upon the idea of his to take the lyrics and literally interpret them like that. I wouldn't worry too much over it.

I remember listening to the five live tracks that were released a while ago and thinking SoS was definetely the worst... It is still good but not on par w/ "Square One" or "White Shadows." And' date=' be honest, the lyrics are not that great... I can't even tell what he's singing about... That said, the lyrics in the two songs I mentioned before (Square One, White Shadows) are some of the very best lyrics Chris has ever written.[/quote']

hmm...i think i agree

i still love sos though.

it is a song! chris is not a scientist (lol) trying to explain theories about the planets!

and i'm glad it sounds like it does because it's still Coldplay's style but in a new package, let's wait to hear the rest of the album and be amazed with it, i'm sure we will. ;)

Someone needs to fire that David bloke. His review's crap. Now, I'm not trynna protect the band, but I think SoS is great. The fact that it sounds like Clocks isnt a bad thing, cuz we don't really want Coldplay to totally change their sound to something totally different anyway, innit?