✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

FOX news guy slags off Chris Martin...

berrywoman

Now to be somewhat off topic for my next few paragraphs. Which is a response to (Manhn). To make myself clear, I see conservative/Republican as the religious right. Because when dealing with civil law, or human rights, they will base it on the bible or religious influence. Since Religion is a threat to Liberty, and this Republican party has taken Liberty away. Sounds like a natural union going on there between church and state in the U.S.

Well, that's the issue I'm talking about. There are plenty of conservatives/Republicans who are not religious. There are plenty of Democracts who are extremely religious. There are plenty of Democrats willing and ready to strip fundamental rights away from people. The neocons have so co-opted the right that anything not neoconservative is then deemed "liberal."

When people view conservatism in this manner, it changes what it is to be "moderate" and "liberal." I chuckle when I hear Americans wanting a "moderate" government.

What is happening is that people tend to have a more concrete idea of what constitutes conservatism. It's harder to pinpoint liberalism, so people use the "if it's not conservative, it has to be liberal" point of view.

If you take a close look at the arguments from the right, that there is a Liberal slant in media and content on TV and radio. There is some truth to that. Actually I would say its completely true. Just look at TV shows like "That 70's Show" or "Will and Grace", and movies like "Armagedon" or "Dazed and Confused". Personally, even I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth to the amount of gay content on the TV today, however, I won't say it should be off the air. I don't mind the content regarding marijuana use.

First off, how is "Armageddon" liberal? Isn't about a meteor coming down to earth and a bunch of austronaut types saving the world?

The other examples I can see as liberal in the sense that it's not particularly conservative, but really, it's not even close to liberal. On Degrassi, a Canadian show, we'd actually see the kids smoking weed. We'd see them have sex and have abortions (a Degrassi episode featuring a character having an abortion has not aired in the US). And the cast would not be as pretty and be more diverse. Meanwhile, That 70s Show is a show primarily dominated by the male point of view; the female characters are all secondary characters. With the exception of the stereotypiocal foreign exchange student, there's virtually no characters of colour. And the cast conforms to societal views of "beauty."

If W&G were a British show, Will would be shagging a guy every other episode. In the US, Will got his first boyfriend in the show's seventh season. And Jack got married--to a woman. The show deals with upper/middle class folks consumed by materialism and the only semi-regular character of colour is the maid.

Dazed and Confused is most definitely a left-of-centre piece of entertainment, but that's why it was not made under the studio system. It was an independent movie directed by a then no-name person.

As for gay content, how many shows feature a gay character? I bet I can name a lot more current shows without one than with one. Besides, interesting that a show that features a gay character is automatically deemed liberal. This assumes that all conservatives must hate gays. Just by believing that shows how skewed the US media is when it comes to determining what's liberal and what's conservative.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, how is "Armageddon" liberal? Isn't about a meteor coming down to earth and a bunch of austronaut types saving the world?

That's easy. Armagedon movie depicted an end that science has said could happen one day. Did you see any guy in a white beard coming down, or Jesus coming down during Armagedon? That's why I said in my previous post Conservatives and the religious right would have us watching more films that depict a religious end. Sort of a religious education through TV shows and films. That's what they wish for. Which is why Liberal is being labeled as evil.

Meanwhile, That 70s Show is a show primarily dominated by the male point of view; the female characters are all secondary characters. With the exception of the stereotypiocal foreign exchange student, there's virtually no characters of colour. And the cast conforms to societal views of "beauty."

Actually I understand that one of the main recurring clips on "That 70's show" is all of them sitting around a table, with a cloud of smoke blowing up everynow and then. I don't think that smoke is from candles. Plus Red's comments on that show, I could see the Christians screaming at the TV screen.

If W&G were a British show, Will would be shagging a guy every other episode. In the US, Will got his first boyfriend in the show's seventh season. And Jack got married--to a woman. The show deals with upper/middle class folks consumed by materialism and the only semi-regular character of colour is the maid.

Good point. The question is would a show like W&G even make it to the TV screen if there was religious influence. Take music as an example. Liberal ideologies appears to dominate the music industry. You get the odd Christian rock band coming out, but not becoming near as big as Liberal bands like Green Day. Boy would those Republicans like to shut that band up.

azed and Confused is most definitely a left-of-centre piece of entertainment, but that's why it was not made under the studio system. It was an independent movie directed by a then no-name person.

Watch that show again to refresh. You will notice even some of the scripts in there sound Liberal minded.

As for gay content, how many shows feature a gay character? I bet I can name a lot more current shows without one than with one. Besides, interesting that a show that features a gay character is automatically deemed liberal. This assumes that all conservatives must hate gays. Just by believing that shows how skewed the US media is when it comes to determining what's liberal and what's conservative.

Good point. But wouldn't you agree there is more of it then the 80's or 90's. I mean overall our television is Liberal. Even hollywood I agree has a Liberal slant. I'm not saying its a bad thing though. Considering the real definition of Liberal is a positive thing. Because its core ideology promotes more individual freedoms then what the conservative core ideology promotes.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...