✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you think mobiles have improved the quality of life?

Sternly

You all know what a mobile or cell phone is. Do you think they have improved the quality of life? and why?

I don't think they have basically because here they are a social instruments rather than a working tool. You could find that strange, but If you had had any contact with Latin America, you might have noted that our references are Europe and the States and most people stick to what's going on there. We are pretty much a fashionable and consumist economy and people (historically, I'm talking as a whole, we feel less than Europeans so we've taken a lot of their traditions and instruments to sort of be at the 'same level') and what's happening now is that everyone feels the need to have a mobile just because the person next door has one and, for example in young people it's really rare to see a person without one and If you don't have one you are nearly oblied to buy one by comments such as "you are not loved because you don't have a mobile" or "I am better than you" or simply "what's your mobile number".

It does have quite a lot of advantages, but it hasn't improved, as I see it, the quality of life and that for me means how well you feel as a whole (the combination of relating with people, being well with yourself and so on).

I'm not oblying anyone to answer, so why do I get those kind of replies?

First.- "We all know" means we ALL know, and I assure that that's not true.

Second.- Just because a thing is there and everyone lives with it, it doesn't mean we cannot talk, argue or think about it. Sometimes I think we are too tollerant and passive with the things that are going on.

If anyone here will start with a "Tolerance" speech, I must say I am quite a good listener but I do not tolerate what I think are flaws is people's character or situation, so I am not a "all-tolerant" person (that was just a small note)

and last but not least, I wouldn't waste your time If I'd thnk what I'm talking about it's nonsense. I do at times, but usually it's not my intention to.

i dont have a cell phone and i never had :D

shoot me :P

Neither do I. I don't really think there's much point in it since I live in a rural area and we don't get signal and when I'm at the city I just use public phones, but most people in my school have one (even though they don't have signal) and I could say that more than 2/3 of young people, at least in the Capital, have one (1/3 of the population lives there)

I know that, but that's not really my question, My question is wether it has improved the quality of life or not and first by the way it got here I don't think so. Some of my classmates believe they have because we live in a rural area and they live in remote farms and normal phone doesn't get there so the only contact with the "world" they have is through the mobiles and that enables them to received calls and connect to the Internet.

That's a very expecific case, but even then, I don't think there's mucyh improvement.

You could say it is obvious it's just a commercial thing but I wonder how on earth have they become so popular and used If they are not really necesarry? I mean there's public phone booths and regular telephones, then why?

well i dont really see a chance except now.. i just got a multimedia mobile and the things that i love is that i can get piccies from my family in italy or sms's right to my cell wherever i am and sometimes im out all the time so im not missing anything...lets say i feel more 'connected' to those i luff but are far away.

but like you said, 10 years ago just a few ppl had mobiles, now is everywhere :stunned:

well i dont really see a chance except now.. i just got a multimedia mobile and the things that i love is that i can get piccies from my family in italy or sms's right to my cell wherever i am and sometimes im out all the time so im not missing anything...lets say i feel more 'connected' to those i luff but are far away.

but like you said, 10 years ago just a few ppl had mobiles, now is everywhere :stunned:

wt village or city do u live in?

i dont have a cell phone and i never had :D

shoot me :P

I had one and got severely ripped off because the company put me on the wrong plan from the start and charged me incredible bills. When I questionned them about it, they turned a blind eye and hardly helped me at all. I ended up paying $200 to get out of my 2-year plan.

I will never get a cell phone again (unless it is pay as you go).

I don't like how people have become so attached to their cell phones, but I can see how they are useful in some cases.

that they are useful sometimes they are, I will not argue on the 'obvious', but I repeat they haven't improved the quality of life, we must make a difference there and that was the original question

(I make the point there, and I'll keep doing it because at least here, we are sold the productt with the argument that they will in fact improve our quality of life and they don't! They make our life easier in a way, but not for that they improve it!)