✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kanye West!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well yea thats how he got in, which i was grateful for because he had a lot to offer

im just saying now that hes in, i would rather hear his music grow rather than keep releasing My Name Is..., The Real Slim Shady, My Band, Ass Like That... etc etc

the poppy songs that everyone likes.. (ie. my name is, slim shady etc...) he made those songs as fluff... he wasnt even really serious when writing those.. so he was shocked when thats what 'top 40' liked... I think thats why he is so popular on that front.... real hiphoppers have liked him since back in the day... I remember Missy Elliott introducing him as one of the next hot rappers... and just to hear his flow was amazing, the kids got talent. I like that aspect of him.. not too big of fan of the fluff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
But that is Em's style in the first place and his shit

thats how he got in

He is hilarious and i like to listen to his shit----it tells it how it is

that new vid is anythin but hilarious, its degradin to women and basically just pathetic. cant stand the fella. cant see how anyone can call him talented.

sorry i just get rather angry when it comes to Eminem

• 1 year later...

Kanye West Says He's 'Ready To Take Over The World Once Again'

281x211.jpg

Kanye West with his mom, Donda

'This Graduation album is his best ever — musically, as well as the lyrics,' corroborates his mother, Donda.

Kanye West isn't graduating in May or June, like most seniors. The so-called College Dropout's Graduation date will actually be this fall — September 18, to be exact. That's according to his mother, Donda, who says she's very proud of West's third LP. "This Graduation album is his best ever — musically, as well as the lyrics," she said.

(Does Kanye really love his mom? Watch them horse around right here.)

Def Jam has confirmed that its savant's next opus is slated for September but says the 18th isn't concrete as of yet (see "Kanye West Shoots Down Reality-TV Rumors, Reveals Real TV Plans"). What is a little clearer is that we should be hearing at least a pair of new records from 'Ye very soon. He has visuals for them in the can to boot.

"We already shot two videos," Kanye said earlier this week in L.A. on the set of Common's "The Game" video (see "Common, Kanye Kick It Old-School In Clip For 'The Game' "). "Me and Hype [Williams] went out, we shot nine days. We were out in Japan, we were out in the desert. We're taking it serious."

Although West did not give away the titles for the songs he has ready to go, he did say some of the rumors circulating around the Internet about them are true. If that's the case, we can look forward to a record called "Homecoming" featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay and a ditty titled "The Glory," which was originally conceived for Common's upcoming Finding Forever LP (see "Common, Kanye Going For 'Glory' On Raw, Soulful New Songs" and "Kanye West, Lily Allen Finding Something In Common").

"I'm graduating from a school called 'Universe City,' " Kanyeezee explained of his Gradution concept. "I think the sound is bigger this time. It's bigger and simpler, where the notes really connect with you and I say lines ... I know the power of my words, so when I rap, I know it's gonna impact the world. I know I'm gonna be performing anywhere from the Summer Jam stage [at New Jersey's Giants Stadium] to [New York nightclub] Speed to the House of Blues in L.A., to London to Brazil to Ireland. ... I'm making music for somebody sitting in a car on their way to work trying to get through traffic and my music is helping them zone out, to a 60,000-seater where I'm opening up for the Rolling Stones or U2. I'm not talking about you two — I'm talking about U2 the group. Like I say, 'Why would I do a song with you two when I just got offstage with U2? I'm not even talking to you two.' That's how I feel."

"I'm ready to take over the world once again," he added. "I have a lot to say. I got a lot more music to make. I'm still going through stuff. People are still going through stuff. I make music people can relate to every day. My music just isn't about my story. ... There's not one artist in the world that has as much responsibility as me. When I deliver a piece of music, it has to connect with the most genres of music. I don't care who you name. If you name rap artists, their only responsibility is to rap crowds. If you name a pop artist, their only responsibility is to a pop crowd. If you name some French dance music, their responsibility is to the cool crowd. But I have to deliver songs. All these people are looking at me from super-middle America to the hipsters like, 'What's he gonna do next?' "

In addition to his own project, Kanye has been producing the aforementioned Finding Forever as well as Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III. His mother just released her book "Raising Kanye: Life Lessons From the Mother of a Hip-Hop Superstar," and her son has been present with her during some book signings.

"I was encouraged by a number of my friends and colleagues," she explained. "I taught English for a number of years, so it's not surprising that I would consider writing a book, but I never knew I would be writing a book about myself. There are so many aspects of Kanye's life now and growing up that people wouldn't know about. They know about Kanye the superstar. I wanted to share who he is as a person."

The book starts with Ms. West's lineage, continues through her son's birth and goes into his recent life as well.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1559402/20070511/west_kanye.jhtml

Kanye West's ‘Graduation’: Album Features Chris Martin On Two Tracks | Leak

While most students will begin their 2007/08 year of schooling in September, Kanye West is targeting the month for his “Graduation,” which is the title of his third album for Def Jam records.

So far, a snippet of the song “Can’t Tell Me Nothing,” featuring Coldplay’s Chris Martin, has found its way onto the Internet. The DJ Toomp-produced track features the lyrics: "I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven / When I woke I spent that on a necklace / I told God I'd be back in a second / Man, it's so hard not to act reckless."

Chris Martin also appears on the title track to “Graduation.” Producer/multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion, who played a key role on West’s 2005 album "Late Registration," will also contribute to the new project.

West has a number of scheduled concert dates this summer, beginning July 2 in Manchester, England, and including a July 7 set at Live Earth in East Rutherford, N.J., a July 14 stop at the Cisco Systems Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario, and an Aug. 18-19 booking at the U.K.'s V Festival.

http://eurweb.com/story/eur33538.cfm

• 3 weeks later...

Kanye West Debuts New Album

00020016_kanye-west200.jpg

Including Coldplay collaboration…

Kanye West performed tracks off his forthcoming ‘Graduation’ album at the Thirst Studio Global Sessions in Las Vagas at the weekend.

Performing at the Tao Nightclub, the hip-hop artists played a number of new songs, including, the Daft Punk sampling, ‘Stronger,’ and ‘The Homecoming’ – which is the rappers well publicised collaboration with Coldplay’s Chris Martin.

West wowed the crowd throughout the show, which also included outings for his older classics, such as, ‘Touch The Sky.’

The rapper was performing as part of the Thirst Studio Global Sessions which have been searching globally for the best new and upcoming talent over the past year

'Graduation' will be released later this year.

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=32434

• 1 month later...

Leona Lewis befriends Kanye West

160x120_leonalewis_onthestreets.jpg

Leona Lewis has befriended Kanye West while recording her debut album in LA.

The X Factor champion, who has been laying down tracks with Janet Jackson’s long-term collaborators Jam and Lewis recently, met the rap superstar while they were working in the same Hollywood recording studio.

The musical pair are said to have bonded over a shared passion for British rock bands Keane and Coldplay.

An insider told DS: "Leona was bubbling with excitement as she is a huge fan of Kanye’s and she really enjoyed being able to have a chat with him. She told friends how sweet he was afterwards."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a66400/leona-lewis-befriends-kanye-west.html

'Ye Holds Charity Concert For Kanye West Foundation

070719_kanfon.jpg

Kanye West has announced he will hold a benefit concert to raise money for his charitable organization, the Kanye West Foundation.

Proceeds from the concert will go to Loop Dreams, the foundation's initiative to encourage kids to stay in high school. The initiative provides funding to help keep music programs in schools, create opportunities for students to explore career options, and encourages schools to include hip-hop in programs. The foundation also hopes to create the Loop Dreams Teacher Training Institute, where teachers can go to learn about ways of incorporating hip-hop into curricula.

The concert will feature West performing tracks to be featured on his upcoming "Glow in the Dark" tour, which draws on Graduation, his latest recording on Def Jam records. Other celebrity appearances are promised as well, though no names have been released.

The concert will be held August 24 at the House of Blues in Chicago, with tickets selling for $125.

http://soundslam.com/articles/news/news.php?news=070719_kanfon

• 3 weeks later...

"Graduation" day nears for Kanye West

kanye-west.jpg

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Urban music lately has dabbled in electronic sounds, but Kanye West takes it a step further with the synth-heavy first single from his upcoming CD.

"Stronger" samples Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" and slows down the beat. At No. 47, the track is the top debut of the week on the Billboard Hot 100.

"That melody just hit me so hard," West says when asked about the song's inspiration. "I mean, it's the music. It wasn't a gimmick thing."

"That's not atypical of Kanye," Def Jam president and West mentor Jay-Z says. "It's been his pattern since day one. He always has to push the envelope. That's his cross to bear."

The argument could be made that West's artistry, knack for hit-making and penchant for unpredictability make him one of hip-hop's last rock stars. So it's precisely West's singular place in hip-hop that will make or break "Graduation," his third Def Jam album, due September 11.

"Kanye has an edge, and when he steps up and says something meaty (like his anti-George Bush remarks on live television during NBC's concert fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina in September 2005), he's doing it out of passion," Def Jam senior VP of marketing Tracey Waples says. "That's what's made him the people's champ. It's the common man's perspective."

'REFRESHING' RISK

But what is the cost of being a headstrong artist who's usually ahead of the curve? So far, West has not fallen out of favor on Madison Avenue, as evidenced by past branding partnerships with Pepsi and Boost Mobile. Robert Passikoff, founder/president of consulting firm Brand Keys, calls the artist's outspoken personality "refreshing. While there's risk involved (in working with such an artist), it's also the kind of thing advertisers who are desperate for some sort of engagement are willing to risk."

And West is aware of times he's stepped over the line. By way of example, he recalls Island Def Jam chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid "talking me out of doing the 'Gold Digger' video and making it all slaves ... Sometimes as a creative person, you go off the deep end a little. The downside is, you don't always know when to stop."

West endured a well-documented rocky path from Chicago obscurity to Roc-a-Fella Records hitmaker. Born in Atlanta, he moved to the Windy City with his English professor mother, Donda. After high school at the American Academy of Art, he enrolled at Chicago State University. He eventually dropped out to produce music full time, but he always viewed his time behind the boards as a means to an end.

"I was inspired by the Doors movie," West says. "I saw Jim Morrison and said, 'I want to be just like that."'

"He'll play his songs for any and everybody that's willing to listen," longtime friend and producer 88-Keys says. "But his true friends are who he really listens to just because they're most likely to tell the truth, like 'Aw, man. Take out that high-hat.' He's very open to criticism."

'DROPOUT' MAKES GOOD

Following the success of such West-crafted hits as "H to the Izzo" and "Bonnie & Clyde," Roc-a-Fella partners Jay-Z and Damon Dash saw past initial fears that he was not street enough to market as a rapper. They gave him the green light to make his debut album, 2004's "The College Dropout."

"He stretches boundaries," Jay-Z says.

At a time when the street-hustling lyrics of 50 Cent, T.I. and Jadakiss were pervasive, West was touting himself with a teddy bear as a mascot. "Dropout" has sold 3 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and spawned the singles "Through the Wire," "All Falls Down" and "Jesus Walks."

Other artists recognized West as a unique talent capable of transcending genre boundaries. "I was sitting in Sting's dressing room at Live 8," Def Jam's Waples recalls. "And Sting, Bono, John Mayer and Kanye were making up a song. In that moment I understood why he was able to be there. 50 or T.I. would never be able to be in that room."

In 2006, West defied the sophomore slump with "Late Registration," which shifted 860,000 units in its debut week. First single "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" highlighted the diamond industry's violent practices and even inspired Russell Simmons to go on a fact-finding trip to South Africa. The mood was much more party-friendly on the follow-up, "Gold Digger," which sampled Jamie Foxx covering Ray Charles and spent 10 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. West calls the latter cut "my most perfectly written song to date."

SELECT FEW

On "Graduation," only Coldplay's Chris Martin, T-Pain, Mos Def and DJ Toomp made the cut as guest contributors, because, as West says, "When I hear the records of my favorite bands -- the Killers or Coldplay -- you only hear one voice from start to finish," a departure from the recording trend of duets and guest vocalists.

West proudly cops to being influenced by such left-field albums as Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke's 2006 solo effort, "The Eraser," while crafting the music for "Graduation." And though he may feel liberated from hip-hop's sonic constraints, one has to wonder if his new sound is going to translate with the Brooklyn bodega regulars.

"You can't control if people are going to buy your music. At the end of the day you have to keep challenging yourself," Jay-Z says. "He has zero problem with that. He is never complacent. We mixed 'Stronger,' I'm not even joking with you, 17 times. He could not get the bass drum exactly the way he wanted it."

"The beauty of Kanye is his unpredictability," Reid adds. "You don't get to the cover of Time magazine by being fluffy. Real stars are on their path and they don't apologize. Jimi Hendrix threw his guitar down and set it on fire. He didn't think about 'Should I?' He just set his guitar on fire. The ones thinking about it too hard aren't real stars. That's manufactured."

West's creativity will have another chance to shine on the fall Glow in the Dark tour, on which he is collaborating with Madonna choreographer Jamie King. Dates have yet to be announced. In contrast to the poor touring track record for major hip-hop stars, West has been a consistent box-office draw: His 2005 tour with Fantasia and Keyshia Cole grossed $8.4 million and drew more than 210,000 people to 46 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore.

If West is feeling pressure, it is his own. His bosses, according to Jay-Z, "pretty much stay out of his way."

"I want everything associated with me to be the best and push the boundary of what you think is possible," West says. "Whether it's my music, my videos or my tour, I'm trying to be the best."

[Reuters/Billboard]

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=uri:2007-08-06T114235Z_01_N06357865_RTRIDST_0_ENTERTAINMENT-KANYE-COL.XML&pageNumber=2&summit=

50 Cent threatens to quit music

But only if Kanye West sells more records

50 Cent has threatened to quit music if Kanye West's new album sells more than his.

The rappers both have albums coming out on September 11 - 50's entitled 'Curtis' and West's called 'Graduation'.

In an interview with SOHH.com, 50 Cent said "Let's raise the stakes. If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

His records have historically sold more than West's, with 2005's 'The Massacre' selling 1.4 million copies in its first week, and going on to become the best-selling album of that year.

Go Kanye! Go Kanye!!

I'll be buying 'Graduation' now for sure!