✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kanye West!

Well you're right - years ago it seemed to have more meaning and less hype.

I remember liking Dr. Dre about ten years ago, and LL Cool J - but the scene seems to have lost its way in recent years and become all about making money and not so much about social comment.

There also seem to be far too many performers who all look and sound the same.

All those shoot-outs and violence at gigs put me off, too.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you mc, I'm just sayin, for the mostpart if you are finding it hard to get a hold of good hip-hop in today's market, Kanye is actually a good way to find them...he doesnt produce or lay down some lines for crap.

(might i also suggest The Roots. Easily one of the best live shows I've ever been to, and they are all extremely talented at their instruments instead of just a posse that follows Black Thought around on stage (BT= voice of the group))

Thanks for the tips. It's just that there seems to be so much bad stuff out there, and so much negative publicity, it detracts from the little good stuff there is.

I have heard various people extol the virtues of Kanye, and they have generally been people "in the know".

I don't suppose he can be blamed if some of the people he works with act like prima donnas.

Does that explain it a bit better?? :)

I love good musicians and particularly vocalists in all genres of music, but can't stand any hype or "showbiz". If I detect any of that, I tend to run a mile.................

yea seriously The Roots can't mess up in my book, from Illadelph Halflife up to The Tipping Point, I've been a big fan. That would be absolutely crazy to actually see....Kanye+ The Roots. I wonder what the fusion of the best production hip-hop with the best live hip-hop would be??

But yea MC I understand how you can be turned off by the flashiness of many rap stars. What is even more shocking when you find a flashy one that can back it up with substance (a la Jay Z, Kanye (sometimes flashy, but thats just his personality, Outkast, and Dr. Dre...when he still made music :confused: )

i guess actual lyrics might be perfect here to justify the shine...

For those that think Hov' fingers bling bling'n

Either haven't heard the album or they don't know english

They only know what the single is, and singled that out

to be the meaning of what he is about

And bein I'm about my business, not minglin much

runnin my mouth, that shit kept lingerin

But no dummy, that's the shit I'm sprinklin

The album width to keep the registers ringin

In real life, I'm much more distinguished

I'm like a bloke from London, England

Jeah, you jinglin baby

See I go right back and I bring 'em in baby

Business mind of a Ross Perot, but never lost my soul

-Jay Z

you ever had the priveledge of seeing them live?

I saw em at William and Mary University in Williamsburg, they filled up their football stadium, it was a ridiculous show.

Also saw them a couple years back, here in Richmond (surprisingly, nothing happens here, sucks being between VA Beach and DC sometimes haha)

thank you Justine

still on the topic of hiphop- I am still saddened by the breakup of the Fugees. The Score was a ridiculous album that still commands the utmost respect and attention, especially in todays, er, "lacking" rap community. Apparently Dave Chappelle organized a reunion show somewhere last year, but these people need to get back together for at least one more album, see how their collective experiences since 1996 would mesh...strangely enough, this comes back to Kanye West! He's producing Lauryn Hill's new album, and is rumored to be pushing a Fugees record as well. If it happens im willing to wait

thank you Justine

still on the topic of hiphop- I am still saddened by the breakup of the Fugees. The Score was a ridiculous album that still commands the utmost respect and attention, especially in todays, er, "lacking" rap community. Apparently Dave Chappelle organized a reunion show somewhere last year, but these people need to get back together for at least one more album, see how their collective experiences since 1996 would mesh...strangely enough, this comes back to Kanye West! He's producing Lauryn Hill's new album, and is rumored to be pushing a Fugees record as well. If it happens im willing to wait

*in a Dr.Dre kinda way* HELLLL YEEAAH!

I loved the Fugees... I absoloutely loved Lauryn's solo... and if Kanye is doing this one... :stunned: I can defo wait as well!!! I was never a big fan of Pras though... :confused: