✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sufjan Stevens

Professor Peedston

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been to a lot of shows since i joined this forum but i've never had so much interest from other people. in hindsight i feel a little funny about it all. for the first time in my life i actually feel genuinely privileged to have seen a certain show. i've always had a lot of respect for sufjan and his place in the music scene but i never quite realised that i would be seeing one of greatest artists of our era. so basically what i'm trying to say is please don't hate me for having seen him when i wasn't a real fan because i am really really grateful to have been there. so without much further ado here is my review on the night.

well to start i think owen pallett deserves a mention. put simply he was brilliant. he didn't get a standing ovation at the end of his set but he certainly deserved one. not only does he have a voice of an angel but he has the musical mind of a truly great artist. i am big fan of good musicianship, not the playing a million notes a second type of musicianship. rather the type of musicianship that makes u want to listen to that musician all day. owen pallett is that sort of musician. he played a good mix of Final Fantasy and Heartland material with the FF stuff being better received. i dont think many people in the audience were familiar with his work but we were utterly spell bound by his talent. its not often the support act has the undivided attention of an audience but when you have the stage presence of Owen. you command it.

by 9pm every seat in the beautiful Opera House was filled and we were ready for the main man. he walked on with his band, clad head to toe in..............ok i don't really have a clue what they were actually wearing cos i was near the back but it was weird. but the moment he kicked into All Delighted People i was completely engrossed. in true sydney crowd fashion sufjan had to sing the line "all delighted people raise your hand" about 10 times before anyone actually raised their hand but it was all good fun. the main set was almost completely filled with songs from Age of Adz and they sounded (and looked) spectacular live on stage. but the highlights for me were the songs from All Delighted People. i had goosebumps when he sang Heirloom and had very watery eyes when he did Owl and the Tanager. he closed the main set with the epic Impossible Soul which i found a little tiresome for the first 10mins but then the entire crowd got into it and the show which had been up until that point a very subdued affair suddenly turned into a crazy dance party with 1000s of balloons falling from the ceiling and people moving their arms and bodies as much as they could within their seated areas haha. every single person in the House had a beaming smile for the rest of the song.

after he walked off for the encore break the entire crowd gave him a 5min standing ovation until he came back on stage which sent us into raptures. he started the encore with Concerning the UFO then did John Wayne and concluded naturally with Chicago which i really thought would get everyone to their feet but didnt. i think we were all too exhausted from the dancing and long rounds of applause. i know my hands were killing by the end but thats what u do when you see something incredible.

all in all, a feast for all the senses (except maybe smell :P) and a show i will never ever forget. and i hope sufjan appreciates that he has played a venue that means a lot to the 4 million people who live in this great city.

:wacky: Great review!! :bigcry:

Seriously, ugh~*~

tumblr_lfrpz7lfzA1qgon8ro1_500.jpg

And, I am fo sho that he is going through a midlife crisis but I don't mind it.

He's so damn sexy :bomb:

Maybe he'll be naked come around next album

~a girl can dream~

• 2 weeks later...

PRO SHOT OF THE SHOW I WENT TO!!

correct me if im wrong but theres little or no professionally shot footage of sufjan anywhere. well i've struggled to find any

to find it. go to this website http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/homepage.aspx then hover over Video and click on Music under Channels. then click on Sufjan Stevens Live & Exclusive.

Pretty much the most incredible thing I have ever experienced. Can't explain how amazing it was.

Impossible Soul turned into a MASSIVE dance party. Balloons and confetti everywhere. EVERYONE was standing up and dancing. The backing singers spraying sufjan with that silly string stuff. Last show of the tour. ghghghghhghghghghg

Got a setlist and a strange cardboard wizard hat thing from the keyboardist!

i have uploaded the opera house videos on to my youtube channel

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcuA6vdH9gA]YouTube - Sufjan Steven Age of Adz Live Sydney 2011[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTEgGUMlok]YouTube - Sufjan Stevens - Too Much Live Sydney 2011[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO-dCUf7zaE]YouTube - Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People Live Sydney 2011[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

EUROPEAN TOUR DATES BIG FANCY FONT YO

2011-04-29, Friday: Bergen, Norway - Grieghallen (w/DM Stith)

2011-04-30, Saturday: Oslo, N03 - FolketeateretNorway - Folketeateret (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-01, Sunday: Copenhagen, Denmark - VEGA (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-03, Tuesday: Stockholm, Sweden - Cirkus (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-05, Thursday: Warsaw, Poland - Teatr Polski (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-06, Friday: Leipzig, Germany - Centratheatre (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-07, Saturday: Berlin, Ber - AdmiralspalastGermany - Admiralspalast (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-09, Monday: Paris, IDF - OlympiaFrance - Olympia (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-10, Tuesday: Brussels, Belgium - Cirque Royal (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-12, Thursday: London, LO - Royal Festival HallUnited Kingdom - Royal Festival Hall (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-13, Friday: London, LO - Royal Festival HallUnited Kingdom - Royal Festival Hall (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-16, Monday: Gateshead, United Kingdom - The Sage Gateshead (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-17, Tuesday: Dublin, Ireland - Olympia (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-18, Wednesday: Dublin, Ireland - Olympia (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-19, Thursday: Manchester, United Kingdom - Apollo (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-21, Saturday: Eindhoven, Netherlands - Muziekcentrum Frits Philips (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-22, Sunday: Essen, Germany - Colosseum Theatre (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-24, Tuesday: Ferrara, Italy - Teatro Comunale (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-26, Thursday: Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Sound

2011-05-27, Friday: Barcelona, Spain - Primaversa Sound

2011-05-30, Monday: Porto, Portugal - Coliseum (w/DM Stith)

2011-05-31, Tuesday: Lisbon, Portugal - Coliseum (w/DM Stith)

:')

very excited for european fans :D

i never knew sufjan toured so much. he has the demeanour of an artist who likes to hide in his studio year after year producing obscure projects and having his fans dying to see him live.

i listened to age of adz tonight. i didn't really like the album initially last year. but after hearing it live i absolutely love it. it kinda "clicked" and it all makes sense now.