✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay to join WarChild new album ?

LifeLight

Hm.... I don't know any other organizations, but I'll start scouring the internet for ones!

We'll have to make sure it's very, very reliable. We know that Amnesty, Oxfam, etc (the ones you listed) are. But a lot of times you can end up giving to something and getting completely ripped off. That's what scares a lot of people away from charity. Maybe if we make it part of this site, people will KNOW it's reliable and will want to give. A buck here, 2 bucks there, another buck here... It ALL makes a difference.

We'll have to figure this out though, along with Ian. It'd be hard to have people give THROUGH here. I don't even know how that'd work. But then again, we can't rely on people to actually donate on the sites.... that may be our only option though....

Either way, it'd take work setting up a charity "causeway" in here, but it'd be worth it!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree that any charities that we list will have to be looked into to make sure they are reputable. As for people giving 'thru' this site....I don't know how we'd set that up exactly. It would really just be an honor system type of deal and we'd have to trust that people would have enough heart not to lie about such a matter.

I added those to the listy above lunar! :D

And definitely an_cat. Some of the organizations I listed I took from this interview where Chris was naming and talking about them.. and I wrote them down and looked them up. And others I got from from the Coldplay tour program book thing, so those are very realiable.

Not sure how we could give through this site. Maybe someone can set up a paypal account named after the charity and we can all donate there. There can be a sort of post where everyone is kept updated in how much money goes in and out. But, the person would have to be tremendously, megalistic trustworthy because anyone can run with the money.

Or! Maybe a few people can have access to the paypal account and that way if something's missing someone will know. Though again, this takes a lot of trust as well.

I added those to the listy above lunar! :D

And definitely an_cat. Some of the organizations I listed I took from this interview where Chris was naming and talking about them.. and I wrote them down and looked them up. And others I got from from the Coldplay tour program book thing, so those are very realiable.

Not sure how we could give through this site. Maybe someone can set up a paypal account named after the charity and we can all donate there. There can be a sort of post where everyone is kept updated in how much money goes in and out. But, the person would have to be tremendously, megalistic trustworthy because anyone can run with the money.

Or! Maybe a few people can have access to the paypal account and that way if something's missing someone will know. Though again, this takes a lot of trust as well.

I thought about paypal as well, but it is too risky I'm afraid, and I don't think many people would be comfortable with that idea. :( We could just have people just donate individually and then PM someone (we could have an accountant type person) how much they were able to give. That's is one way to keep tally of the total money raised. But again, people could lie about how much they donated or if they donated at all. Humm....

I thought about paypal as well' date=' but it is too risky I'm afraid, and I don't think many people would be comfortable with that idea. We could just have people just donate individually and then PM someone (we could have an accountant type person) how much they were able to give, we could keep tally that way. But again, people could lie about how much they donated or if they donated at all. Humm....[/quote']

I know.. maybe if we call the section (I'm getting ahead of myself! :laugh4: Assuming we get one) something like an_cat mentioned above, "Coldplaying Members for Fair Trade" lets say, and the section can focus first on things like making banners for concerts, or making loads of small messages to pass out during the shows (maybe with the addy of the donating place we're thinking of), similar to the Happy Birthday Chris one that got media attention, and just have other means of people contributing besides donating money. If we have other ways for people to help, maybe no one will feel the need to lie about donating because they're helping out in other ways? It still doesn't guarantee it, though.

I know.. maybe if we call the section (I'm getting ahead of myself! :laugh4: Assuming we get one) something like an_cat mentioned above' date=' "Coldplaying Members for Fair Trade" lets say, and the section can focus first on things like making banners for concerts, or making loads of small messages to pass out during the shows (maybe with the addy of the donating place we're thinking of), similar to the Happy Birthday Chris one that got media attention, and just have other means of people contributing besides donating money. If we have other ways for people to help, maybe no one will feel the need to lie about donating because they're helping out in other ways? It still doesn't guarantee it, though.[/quote']

Yeah, at some point we're just going to have to put a little faith in people. :P But true...encouraging people to help out in various ways may lessen the motive to lie. Buttons, banners, posters...all great ideas.

If this ever gets its own section, I'd love to open discussions about how people can directly and indirectly help others, either by helping out in your community or recycling more. Start a real movement!

you're welcome.. I really wish I had good ideas but I don't know how this works

maybe an_cat can ask the people in the U2 forums how they did it?

I most certainly will do that, asking around for ideas:D From what I notice, though, is that it is private donations (people giving directly to the charity through the websites, etc), but people really rally together and make it a big thing. They get excited about giving, etc etc.

I love the idea of having a seperate facet of this forum dedicated to the better good! I'm very into humanitarian action, so I'd be very willing to help organize this!

^ If this has been successful with U2 fans, I'm sure we can learn a lot from how they've set it up. I agree that private donations would just be best....bypassing any complicated shared paypal type account. And yeah, the idea is just to get people revved up about helping others. Having a goal to work towards is just for motivation and for fun, but nothing too serious or too difficult to keep track of. Before we ask Ian about getting a separate section of the boards for this, we can start a thread and gauge the response...

Can I help out too? I think this is an excellent idea. The guys would probably appreciate this more than anything else we could ever do for them and it's a tremendously good cause.

I could make signature banners/icons and other such things if you'd like! Among other things. :) I once passed around a Make Trade Fair petition at school and sent all 76 signatures to the MTF HQ. I love getting involved.

Great!! Everyone can get involved. This will obviously need lots of brainpower and dedication to organize it all.

frostbitepanda, :thumbsup: about the banners/icons! Sounds like a plan. And that's awesome about your MTF petition! That's exactly the sorta involvement level I'm hoping this project generates.

It's the least I could do lunar!

So, I guess we would ask Ian for out own forum and get people involved?

Like there could be a pinned thread for links, graphics/promotional, FAQs and the like.

And then there could be a thread for donations to certain charities, like "Make Trade Fair = $367 so far" with people reporting in. And then other threads for organizing functions at concerts, where people going to the same gig could plan and coordinate.

I actually thought of a flyer situation. Where some fans could pass out a couple hundred flyers with the equal sign on the front, and then on the back a link, info and instructions on the bottom reading "Hold this flyer high during 'Politik' and give the world love over this." Or something. Do you know how incrediably gobsmacked the guys would be?

Anywho... just some brainstorming. :D

I'm very excited about this!

I was thinking of waiting before asking Ian for our own section of the board, but it does seem like there is enough interest!! And yeah, there would be pinned threads about what we're all about, and separate threads for different charities is a good idea.

Love the '= poster' idea! That would be fab. At the concerts there are already MTF booths and people running around collecting signatures, but I think most people are just too caught up in the moment to be bothered to stop. Flyers to hold up during the concert would be a better way of getting people to actually pay attention to this cause. (and yeah, just imagine what kinda reaction we'd get outta the guys...! they'd be so proud of their fans! :laugh4:) We could design buttons and t-shirts and have these proceeds go to charity too.

I'm going to start making a master list of all these wonderful ideas everyone has...

I was thinking something like 'Coldplaying for a Fair World'.....but thats kinda long winded (not to mention cheesy? :lol:), even though the 'coldplaying' part works well in that context. :P Has to be something that encompasses all humanitarian work and all charities.