LifeLight

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay & Michael Stipe team up for charity

REM and Coldplay team up for charity

Stipe and Martin make sweet music together

REM's Michael Stipe has teamed up with Coldplay's Chris Martin for a charity single to continue aid for Hurricane Katrina victims.

This Sunday, following the Super Bowl (February 5) Stipe's duet with Martin on the Joseph Arthur-penned song 'In the Sun' will premiere on US television drama 'Grey's Anatomy'.

The following day it will be available for purchase solely on iTunes, with proceeds going to benefit Mercy Corps .

"The news cycle has moved on and I don't want the public to forget about those who were affected by Katrina or to believe that everything is fine now," Stipe said in a statement yesterday.

He added: "It's a unique place, not only to this country but to the world. I had to do something as a Southerner. I had to do something as a public figure. The one thing I can do is sing, and it's probably the best way to get people to pay attention."

The song features piano by Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger and production by Stipe with ex-Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha.

In addition to the duet with Martin, the single will be available in a number of formats on iTunes, including a live version recorded by Coldplay and Stipe at the Texas music festival Austin City Limits earlier this year, as well as a remix by Justin Timberlake and Black Eyed Peas star will.i.am.

'In The Sun' will also be featured in a documentary film of the same name, which airs on US cable network the Sundance Channel later this year. Stipe, Martin and a number of hurricane survivors are interviewed in the picture.

The full track listing of 'In the Sun' is:

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (Gulf Coast Relief) (Feat. Chris Martin)

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (JAW Breakers Remix) (Feat. Chris Martin, Mix by Justin Timberlake and will.i.am)

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (Feat. Joseph Arthur)

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (Michael Stipe)

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (w/ Coldplay) (Recorded Live at Austin City Limits)

Michael Stipe - In the Sun (Free Acoustic Couch Rehearsal) (Michael Stipe/Joseph Arthur)

Source http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/22121

© IPC MEDIA 1996-2006, All rights reserved | Site User Terms | Privacy Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Buy Our Content

The Go! Team (Interview)The Go! Team (Interview)The Go! Team (Interview)Dawn Of The Replicants (Video)

In The Magazine

^ Whats wrong with covering it 6 times? It's all differen't versions with different artists, one with Stipe and the man Joseph Arthur himself! :D

it sounds really good' date=' especially with the emotional backdrop of what was going on in the sitcom...[/quote']

I was barely paying attention! :laugh3: I don't generally watch that show, but I tuned in for the In the Sun preview. I can't wait for the studio versions!

• 1 month later...

Keep A Child Alive

http://www.keepachildalive.org/

i have no idea if it was posted before,but i used search with "child alive" and couldn't find any related threads.

personally i think AIDS is one of the biggest problem in the world and we,people should care about it very seriously...it was said million times before,so i don't repeat it one more time.

Coldplay are one of the artists who support this idea.

we have to be proud that "our fave guys" care about most important problems and do against it.

you can also view Chris' monolog on:

http://www.keepachildalive.org/about.php#

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up for that, Nik.

Okay, so I have an idea that I've been milling around in my head. We know that Coldplay is very active in many charitable organizations, and I'm sure that many people on these boards who are very conscious of the plight of those who know the meaning of the word 'survival' up close and personal. It is difficult to know what we can do, on an individual level, for those who need help. One thing is for certain, charity organizations are always needing money to help provide healthcare and basic food assistance to those in need. Even though it may not seem like a few donated dollars (or whatever currency your country uses) will make a difference, but at least it is something.

So this is my proposal: together we can choose a charity or multiple charities (perhaps ones that Coldplay support), and then, for those who are able, pledge to donate some money every month. We could start up a thread for this, and if you donate, simply post "I donated to _____ charity and I'm helping to ______"......this way we could encourage each other to give and potentially donate a lot of money if people get really into it. We could even try to have a monetary goal to reach, and a few of us could keep tally (I'd be willing). Let me know what you all think! I think we could make a difference.

That'd be beyond awesome Lunar! Great idea.. I'd definitely be willing pitch in!

Some Coldplay-supported organizations:

Make Trade Fair

Make Poverty History

Oxfam

Planet Save

Water Aid

Amnesty USA

Amnesty International

I know there's more.. I used to have them all linked in my siggy but removed them some time ago. :\

Yes! I'm glad you like the idea, Vic! Thank you for the list of charities. Want to work together on organizing this? Considering how many people frequent this place, I'm sure we could generate a lot of attention and raise a lot of money.

im willing to do that as well, brilliant idea, btw. :kiss: im already called a tree hugger, so might as well join all of these that care not only about the enviroment but also the people that live in it.

Called a tree hugger :laugh4: :lol: Aw, bless! :heart:

I'd definitely help you organize it lunar! I'm looking for the list I had of all the organizations.. there's quite a bit. I just hope enough people show interest, I know a lot of us here are underage and can't really donate.

Whoa, lunar1126, you read my mind!! When I opened this thread I thought the same thing before I saw your post, but I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd be very, very willing to donate some of my money to a "Coldplaying Cause".

Perhaps to get people interested, and make people want to give some spare dollars, we could make this a big deal on here. At a lot of U2 shows I see people who meet at shows from forums brings big signs (such as "ZOOTOPIANS UNITED AGAINST POVERTY"). They've gotten a lot of attention from the guys. Maybe if we donated on a whole, then made signs like "Coldplaying Members for Fair Trade", brought them to our shows, it could spark some interest from the guys.

I'm not saying that that's what it'd take for ME to do it. But it could appeal to some people who may be more ambivalent about giving to charity. Make it fun and cool (almost like a giving "club"?) and it could be successful.

By the way, Nik, thanks for the link. I bought a couple of the armbands at my show back in August, but I never was aware what this cause was exactly.

Danielle, I like your idea!...turning it into a club type thing. I DO want to turn it into a VERY big deal....with announcements and stickies all over the place!!! :P Just kidding....kinda.

Main thing is, I don't people to feel like they have to donate a lot. Just a few dollars here and there can go a looong way in making a difference in a someones life.

Guys, I'm really excited about this! Do you think Ian will have any concerns about it?

Maybe if we treat Ian to cookies and flowers he'll (in time and when we have enough people) create a section for this? Kinda like CFU! :cheesy:

Oh these are the Coldplay approved organizations I know of.. anyone know of any others?

1 Giant Leap

Amnesty International

Amnesty USA

Keep A Child Alive

Make Poverty History

Make Trade Fair

Oxfam

Planetsave

Silver Clef

Stop Handgun Violence

Water Aid

World's Aids Day