✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

amsterdam

when the levee breaks

Wow... Good question. I never really thought about that before, since it's one of my all time favorites and will always be 'Amsterdam' to me...

Jeez... I can't even answer that! :lol: Coldplay tends to name songs after a resounding lyric throughout it, so... Yeah, maybe 'Time Is On Your Side'. Amsterdam's much better though.

Nice username, by the way. ;)

Some people thought it was to do with suicide: "Tied to the noose...stood on the edge...sick to the stomach etc..." and this could very well tie in with Amsterdam's high suicide rate but I read somewhere that Chris didn't mean this in the song at all! Regarding another name for it I think Amsterdam is somehow a really good name but I suppose "Release" or maybe "Discovery" could work...or not... :P

Some people thought it was to do with suicide: "Tied to the noose...stood on the edge...sick to the stomach etc..." and this could very well tie in with Amsterdam's high suicide rate but I read somewhere that Chris didn't mean this in the song at all!

^ :stunned: Wow i'd never thought about it that way! Even though its not true its an interesting theory!

Some people thought it was to do with suicide: "Tied to the noose...stood on the edge...sick to the stomach etc..." and this could very well tie in with Amsterdam's high suicide rate but I read somewhere that Chris didn't mean this in the song at all! Regarding another name for it I think Amsterdam is somehow a really good name but I suppose "Release" or maybe "Discovery" could work...or not... :P

wow that's a REALLY interesting theory. Even if it's not true. And in terms of the title, I like Amsterdam just fine, even though, well, I don't know the true significance of it. Love that song though

yeh somehow amsterdam fits (i spose that cuz thats how weve only seen it as)

somehow i cant see the title with some of the lyrics in the song like "time is on your side" or "my star is fading". i can see it with just one word tho...

lol i bet chris chose amsterdam cause he couldnt think of a good title either!

Chris's story from Darien Lake about Amsterdam:

"yeah, listen... we, we took the uh... 'cause you know we don't often--normally we play in...like industrial states and uh... places with factories and the smell of burning rubber and we never normally get to play next door to...like... all this stuff-- these rides and everything. So uh..... anyway... so today we came and we saw all this stuff and said 'wow', not only do we get to play here, we also get to go play here. And uh, anyway we went on one ride and one ride is enough, and this song is very appropriate if you're in the middle of a ride and you think you're gonna die in about... 2 seconds. This is called Amsterdam.

Ok? Well... oh uh and I'm gonna get in trouble if I forget any lyrics, but please, give me a slight break, because we haven't been playing a lot of that one."

Yeah, so it's about death. If it had a lyrical name, I would call it "On the End" though I do love the word Amsterdam now. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
One part of this song is written in Amsterdam' date=' the last part, with the full band playing, is wriiten in Iceland. It's great to have a Coldplay song named after your own city. How many people can say that?[/quote']

Well... my brother goes to college not 25 miles from Amsterdam, NY so we go through there everytime we visit. Last time I almost had my Rush of Blood timed so Amsterdam would play when we did... but I was a few minutes too soon. ^_^