🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Muslims join Da Vinci criticism

Jenjie

Roman Catholics in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) have received Muslim support in protests against the release of the movie, The Da Vinci Code.

Film censors have cleared the movie for release in India on 19 May.

An umbrella organisation of Islamic clerics in Mumbai have labelled the film as "blasphemous" because it spreads "lies" about Jesus Christ.

One Roman Catholic activist has gone on what he says is a "hunger strike until death" unless the film is banned.

'Violent protests'

"The Holy Koran recognises Jesus as a prophet. What the book says is an insult to both Christians and Muslims," Maulana Mansoor Ali Khan, general secretary of the All-India Sunni Jamiyat-ul-Ulema, told the Reuters news agency.

"Muslims in India will help their Christian brothers protest this attack on our common religious belief," he said.

His stance was supported by Syed Noori, president of Mumbai-based Raza Academy, a Muslim cultural organisation that organises protests on issues concerning Islam.

"If the government doesn't do anything, we will try our own ways of stopping the film from being shown," he said. "We are prepared for violent protests in India if needed."

A Roman Catholic activist, Joseph Dias, began a hunger strike on Tuesday which he said would be continued until the film is banned.

Earlier this month hundreds of Catholic demonstrators gathered outside a convent school in Mumbai in protest over the film's release.

Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown explores the premise that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and produced children, whose descendants are alive today.

The Catholic Secular Forum has described the film as "offensive" because hits "certain basic foundations of the religion".

India's Central Board of Film Certification said Tuesday it would give the movie an adult rating if the film-makers agreed to a disclaimer at the start of the movie saying it was a work of fiction.

"There is a visual of self-flagellation and limited amount of nudity in (one) particular scene," board member Vinayak Azad told the AFP news agency. "It has got adult content."

One of the three Catholic representatives of the five-member board, the Rev Myron Pereira, said that it was cleared because the contention that Christ married was "fictional".

"But it does not portray anything in an obscene fashion," he said. "People can protest about anything since we live in a democracy."

It is estimated that there are about 18m Roman Catholics in India, with 500,000 living in Mumbai. The Christian community comprises about 2% of India's population of over one billion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk

• Like 1

i pity the faith people have in themselfs if one movie could change it or provoke it..

Wow, AMEN to that (no pun intended... ok ok that pun WAS intended).

It's sad what the world is coming to, where a comic strip inspires riots. A movie inspires riots. What next? A song? What about a book? I'd love to see Mein Kempf come out in this day and age. I wonder if Hitler would have risen to power THEN. It's amazing that people are actually relying on popular culture to feel validated about something, and it's shocking that in this case it's something as private as religion.

Who cares if people have very deep, very powerful religious beliefs? Then suck it up, damn it. It's just a fucking movie. Who ever said the Bible was the truth? No one except you. Who's going to tell you this movie is the absolute truth? No one but you. Take it or leave it, it's nothing to get your panties in a twist about.

I like how people don't go nuts when people mock nuns, or munks in movies. That could be insulting and cruel, but no one flips about that. It's so selective.

I can't wait to see this movie, personally... I love me some Tom Hanks. Who gives a shit about religion? All I care about is Tom Hanks.

Ive read the book and personally, i think its a great STORY...thats all it is, a story, so people shouldnt get too into it and rely on it and think it may be possible, even tom hanks the actor who plays the main character, langdon, said that

i pity the faith people have in themselfs if one movie could change it or provoke it..

Wow, AMEN to that (no pun intended... ok ok that pun WAS intended).

It's sad what the world is coming to, where a comic strip inspires riots. A movie inspires riots. What next? A song? What about a book? I'd love to see Mein Kempf come out in this day and age. I wonder if Hitler would have risen to power THEN. It's amazing that people are actually relying on popular culture to feel validated about something, and it's shocking that in this case it's something as private as religion.

Who cares if people have very deep, very powerful religious beliefs? Then suck it up, damn it. It's just a fucking movie. Who ever said the Bible was the truth? No one except you. Who's going to tell you this movie is the absolute truth? No one but you. Take it or leave it, it's nothing to get your panties in a twist about.

I like how people don't go nuts when people mock nuns, or munks in movies. That could be insulting and cruel, but no one flips about that. It's so selective.

I can't wait to see this movie, personally... I love me some Tom Hanks. Who gives a shit about religion? All I care about is Tom Hanks.

It's not about film make a riot or book or song,and it's not about Take or Leave it

It's just about, Don't tell a lies

Because nuns and munks not a holy persons,but when the lies reach to Jesus oooops '' Stop''

It's not about film make a riot or book or song,and it's not about Take or Leave it

It's just about, Don't tell a lies

..what does it mean? that we shouldn't watch ANY, absolute any, films except the ones that are based on"true" stories?:thinking:

my dear, i really don't know how would the culture itself then look, and would it have any purpose at all...

Let's all kill James Frey then! He lied in his "memoir" A Million Little Pieces!

Does this allow athiests to kill people who preach the Bible, if they believe it's all lies?

Why don't people go burn houses in DC or blow things up if this Administration made lies about certain things?

Hey, while we're at it, we can attack Michael Moore, the Scientologists, Fox News, and those dickheads who told me Fargo was real and I realized that NO ONE WAS EVER GROUND UP BY A WOOD CHIPPER. EVER. Maybe.

Why don't we all do that?

Oh yeah, that's right. BECAUSE WE'RE CIVIL, THOUGHTFUL, FREE THINKING, RESPECTFUL HUMAN BEINGS.

Oh my god I'm going to go bang my head against a wall 10 times and then draw up a comic strip that says that my mom is the second coming of Christ, tell everyone its' the truth, and get strung up because a few radicals can't learn to control themselves. :\

..what does it mean? that we shouldn't watch ANY, absolute any, films except the ones that are based on"true" stories?:thinking:

my dear, i really don't know how would the culture itself then look, and would it have any purpose at all...

I mean when you watch a true story film,I think the film maker should told you the truth and if it an imaginary film,it's ok to imagin some facts but just keep away from the relegion facts

Does this allow athiests to kill people who preach the Bible, if they believe it's all lies?

There are lawful rule saying [ Voir dire on who denied and plea on who allege ]

So why athiests kill who preach the bible.The religions are the truth who want to deny it should bring a proof because the religinons came first.

Why don't people go burn houses in DC or blow things up if this Administration made lies about certain things?

Hey, while we're at it, we can attack Michael Moore, the Scientologists, Fox News, and those dickheads who told me Fargo was real and I realized that NO ONE WAS EVER GROUND UP BY A WOOD CHIPPER. EVER. Maybe.

Why don't we all do that?

Oh yeah, that's right. BECAUSE WE'RE CIVIL, THOUGHTFUL, FREE THINKING, RESPECTFUL HUMAN BEINGS.

Oh my god I'm going to go bang my head against a wall 10 times and then draw up a comic strip that says that my mom is the second coming of Christ, tell everyone its' the truth, and get strung up because a few radicals can't learn to control themselves. :\

Because,if the Administration made lies,it's civil lies about civil matters not relate to religious matter it's the same for Michael Moore and anything you talk about

^And more importantly, it's FICTION!! These people need to get a life - jeez!!

If you don't want to watch it, then don't - it's quite simple.

Let the rest make up their own minds!!

NOBODY knows what's true and what isn't, anyway. It's all about what you believe or don't believe.

If people WANT to believe that the Da Vinci Code is factual, then let them......................who gives a monkey's??

oh why just religion facts what the heck let's keep away from every single theme that might provoke anyone on this planet...it's a BOOK' date=' dear god..:rolleyes:[/quote']

Because the relegion have a special recpect and special natural,and it's not just a book,it's a soul

So who decides what's really a religion and what isn't, anyway?

What about the people who say they are "Jedi" (and yes - they really exist).

Maybe a spoof film will come out which implies "Jedi" are actually evil and Yoda and co. were actually the "baddies".

Would this film have to be banned, too?? The whole situation is ludicrous.

^And more importantly, it's FICTION!! These people need to get a life - jeez!!

If you don't want to watch it, then don't - it's quite simple.

Let the rest make up their own minds!!

NOBODY knows what's true and what isn't, anyway. It's all about what you believe or don't believe.

If people WANT to believe that the Da Vinci Code is factual, then let them......................who gives a monkey's??

It's not just as simple you imagin to say watch it or leave it.If you let someone deny a truth without a real proof,it's will encourge the others do this and it became a mess

Don't tell people lies and fake informations and said to them make up yor minds

So who decides what's really a religion and what isn't, anyway?

What about the people who say they are "Jedi" (and yes - they really exist).

Maybe a spoof film will come out which implies "Jedi" are actually evil and Yoda and co. were actually the "baddies".

Would this film have to be banned, too?? The whole situation is ludicrous.

The right religions which heavenly ones and everyone know them and manmade religions everyone know them too

The right religions which heavenly ones and everyone know them and manmade religions everyone know them too

who says my or jedi religion isn't heavenly one? you, he, she? :thinking:

why? huh?

nothing's a tabu anymore, and as far am concered those who belive these stuff and do accept those "lies" as you call them don't deserve then to be called christians/muslim/jews or anything else, cus i do think religion is little more from that i belive or i don't and it does take a bit more books/bible/kuran to understand it's full depth as it is. if you don't do that than i don't think you/anyone has a right to call something a lie or similar to it. da vinci code breaks simple the most simpliest ones of rules/facts christians use, and anyone with the little introspect to it know or sees is the code bs or something that might have happen.

i read this book, and i strongly advise you to do the same, i saw reactions similar to those yours as soon as i started to spoke about code and what might be the true,and since i come from a really traditional christian town that sometimes is way too off everything you may imagine what were the reactions, and you know what...they all used same arguments as you until they read the book . after that even the most agressive girl to me, that i'm very fond of started to look for messages and all-it didn't change her religion . it presented her the other: it might have been...

;)

^I repeat - NOBODY knows what is and isn't fake information' date=' it's only a case of what you do or don't believe.....................................[/quote']

I will repeat also,I mean the religions came first and who come second and want to deny what came first must bring a proof

I mean by first and second I just refer to the timing

^So has anyone proved there aren't gods of the trees, moon, sun, Earth, etc.?

People believed in that way before any of the "modern" religions came along.

I don't recall any of this having been "disproved" before Islam, Christianity etc. moved in!!:dozey: