✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portuguese Lessons.

Darlene_Ihnfsa

hi friends, i don't know portuguese and i would like to learn it. next year probably i'm going to study in Portugal, in Viseu, so i'll need to learn portuguese. I learnt some portuguese from a brazilian friend from this board, but if i'm honest i forgot it. :( (May be because i was trying to learn italian and portuguese at the same time, and i ended up mixing both languages).

I obviously understan portuguese, because is a language close to spanish, but i can't write or pronounce it correctly, can you help me to learn a bit of your language here? :D

thanks in advance. i will try to post my next thread here in portuguese.

(Note: I thought to post it in coldplay portugal, but i thought is better to start a new thread).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously understan portuguese, because is a language close to spanish, but i can't write or pronounce it correctly

exactly the same happens to me...but with spanish of course!

i can help you if you want :)....but it will be difficult for you to learn how to pronounce words right? :confused:...

oh and currently i don't have much time because my exams at uni are coming, but whenever i can i'm here! ;)

exactly the same happens to me...but with spanish of course!

i can help you if you want :)....but it will be difficult for you to learn how to pronounce words right? :confused:...

oh and currently i don't have much time because my exams at uni are coming, but whenever i can i'm here! ;)

thanks, lili. :)

you have exams at uni now? what are you studing? we have exams in june... good luck.

Well i have an idea of how you pronounce portuguese. I don't know the grammar... even articles*... so we can start with basic things like, introducing ourselves....

hi, i'm beatriz, and i'm 20 years old and i'm a spanish uni student... how you say that in portuguese? can you also tell me the persons... i mean: i, you, he, she, we, they; mine, your, his, her, our, them...

*Note: without had learnt portuguese i got a 4,3/10, the language level exam that we have to do, it's rated as intermediate.. i understand the language but i don't know grammar (verbs). In that exam we had questions like how you order in a bar... lol.. i didn't knew what to answer but seemed that you are very polite people.

btw i can teach you some spanish if you want.

I've heard that European Portuguese is wayyy different from the American, how true is that? for example the American Spanish variates quite for the words and expressions from the European but it's is still Spanish... or like Brittish English and the American...

I've heard that European Portuguese is wayyy different from the American, how true is that? for example the American Spanish variates quite for the words and expressions from the European but it's is still Spanish... or like Brittish English and the American...

well i think the differences will be like american spanish and european spanish (this thing of eurpean spanish sounds strange to me lol... we call it castellano, to spanish from Spain, and español, to spanish from america), for example the word cuero, in spanish from Spain means piel, but in mexico means also chico guapo... i think the differences are like this... or that they are more polite when speaking... in spain we rarely speak to a relative as usted, we speak to them as tú, that is a more direct form that can sound a bit unpolite... but in american spanish they always speak to people by using the formal form usted. but you are right anyways, what are the differences of portuguese american and european portuguese?

Hi!!!

I remember my parents say that in the 70's, when the first brazilian soap opera started in Portugal, people were quite shocked cause they couldn't understand lots of expressions... I think that problem doesn't exist anymore... million of soap operas and football players later, portuguese got used to those expressions...

but, not long time ago I had a brazilian girlfriend.... I had to speak quite slowly so she could understand me...

the differences exist, some expressions, words and the accent of course...but it's harder for brazilian to understand us than the opposite... they say we "eat" letters... don't know about that...

hi, i'm beatriz, and i'm 20 years old and i'm a spanish uni student- (olá, chamo-me Beatriz, tenho vinte anos, sou espanhola e estudante universitária...)

eu- I

tu- you

ele- he

ela- she

nós-we

vós- you

eles/elas- they

meu/minha- mine

teu/tua- your

seu/sua- his/her

nosso/nossa- our

vosso/vossa- your

deles/delas-their

hi, i'm beatriz, and i'm 20 years old and i'm a spanish uni student- (olá, chamo-me Beatriz, tenho vinte anos, sou espanhola e estudante universitária...)

eu- I

tu- you

ele- he

ela- she

nós-we

vós- you

eles/elas- they

meu/minha- mine

teu/tua- your

seu/sua- his/her

nosso/nossa- our

vosso/vossa- your

deles/delas-their

thanks.

how do you say name and surname?

How can i join it? (refering to an activity or something like that)

How or where i can find more information?

How are you doing?

How's the day going?

Who, why, how, when, what, because

Do you have 4 words for why and because? I mean in spanish teorically we have 4 words... 2 for why (one for the question and the other for the answer) and 2 for becacuse (one for the question and the other for the answer)?.

name- nome (próprio)

surname- apelido/ nome de família

how can I join it- como posso aderir

how or where can I find more information- como ou onde posso encontrar mais informações

how are you doing- como estás

how's the day going- como vai o dia

who- quem

where- onde

when- quando

how- como

what- o quê

which- qual/que

why- porquê/ por que

because- porque/ por causa

well, I can't really explain to you in which situations we use what... I'm not very good at that... I can correct you though... maybe Lili knows some examples

name- nome (próprio)

surname- apelido/ nome de família

how can I join it- como posso aderir

how or where can I find more information- como ou onde posso encontrar mais informações

how are you doing- como estás

how's the day going- como vai o dia

who- quem

where- onde

when- quando

how- como

what- o quê

which- qual/que

why- porquê/ por que

because- porque/ por causa

well, I can't really explain to you in which situations we use what... I'm not very good at that... I can correct you though... maybe Lili knows some examples

moito obrigado.

thanks, i know the why and because is difficult to explain, but in spanish is exactly the same, we have 2 for each one, so i understand it. :)

well i guess Miguel did all the work for me!!! but well done! :thumbsup:

btw...

i have to go now - tenho de ir agora

have a nice day - tem um bom dia

out of topic but i love the sentence in your sig: "I\'ll always remember that guy who I loved just \'cause the way I loved him"

you have exams at uni now? what are you studing? we have exams in june... good luck.

well it's more like tests actually...if i do well in these ones and in others like these in the beginning of june i don't have to do final exams that contain everything we learned these 4 months! and these small tests have less things to study and are in general easier...so i prefer to do them well now to be able to have vacations earlier :sneaky:

i'm studying international relations and you??

i'm more or less in the same situation as you Miguel...i know when to use them but i don't know the grammar rules!!...but as Miguel said we can correct you and if you have some specific doubt tell me and i will check it in a portuguese grammar book or ask someone here!

you're welcome... ;)

btw... you were supposed to say muito obrigada... women say obrigada, men say obrigado... ;)

is this actually a rule? i've heard some women say obrigado...i say it sometimes :uhoh:...but men definitly don't say obrigada, always obrigado!

well i guess Miguel did all the work for me!!! but well done! :thumbsup:

btw...

i have to go now - tenho de ir agora

have a nice day - tem um bom dia

out of topic but i love the sentence in your sig: "I\'ll always remember that guy who I loved just \'cause the way I loved him"

oh so titolas name is Miguel.

Nice to meet you Miguel. *shakes hands* (How do you say that in portuguese).

out of topic the sentence refers to the guys i falled in love with... firstly was to a guy i knew, that works near home, was like the perfect guy... green eyes, blonde hair, curly hair, sideburns... but he change his look now, and seems don't feel the same he felt a year ago so...

well it's more like tests actually...if i do well in these ones and in others like these in the beginning of june i don't have to do final exams that contain everything we learned these 4 months! and these small tests have less things to study and are in general easier...so i prefer to do them well now to be able to have vacations earlier :sneaky:

i'm studying international relations and you??

i'm more or less in the same situation as you Miguel...i know when to use them but i don't know the grammar rules!!...but as Miguel said we can correct you and if you have some specific doubt tell me and i will check it in a portuguese grammar book or ask someone here!

international relations? does it have to do with diplomacy? internesting degree :)

I'm studying tourism., I'm in the second year, our degree is of 3 years. and yours?

oh don't worry about the grammar difference in this case, i understand it because in spanish is exactly the same so if i know how to use it in spanish i will know how to use it in portuguese.

out of topic the sentence refers to the guys i falled in love with... firstly was to a guy i knew, that works near home, was like the perfect guy... green eyes, blonde hair, curly hair, sideburns... but he change his look now, and seems don't feel the same he felt a year ago so...

oh :\...sorry to hear that

international relations? does it have to do with diplomacy? internesting degree :)

I'm studying tourism., I'm in the second year, our degree is of 3 years. and yours?

oh don't worry about the grammar difference in this case, i understand it because in spanish is exactly the same so if i know how to use it in spanish i will know how to use it in portuguese.

yes it has to do with diplomacy and politics...you are one of the very few people i know that find it interesting! ;)

my degree is of 3 years too...i'm still in the first year though

yeah it should be the same!

btw can you give me any link to any portuguese newspaper?

i remember that yahoo, had a portuguese version, but now they only have a brazilian version, and as you say that brazilian and portuguese are a bit different...

most portuguese things you find on the internet are brazilian...so be careful with verbs and some words/expressions...

these are some newspapers i remembered to search for:

diario de noticias - http://dn.sapo.pt/

expresso - http://expresso.clix.pt/

público - http://www.publico.clix.pt/

sol - http://sol.sapo.pt/PaginaInicial/Default.aspx

this is a portuguese magazine about music:

blitz - http://blitz.aeiou.pt/

there are also some sensacionalist newspapers here:

correio da manhã - http://www.correiomanha.pt/

24 horas - http://www.24horasnewspaper.com/

we also have loads of newspapers only about sport...are you interested in those?

and i was thinking...maybe if you read some portuguese blogs would be interesting too no?

hope these links work for you ;)

most portuguese things you find on the internet are brazilian...so be careful with verbs and some words/expressions...

these are some newspapers i remembered to search for:

diario de noticias - http://dn.sapo.pt/

expresso - http://expresso.clix.pt/

público - http://www.publico.clix.pt/

sol - http://sol.sapo.pt/PaginaInicial/Default.aspx

this is a portuguese magazine about music:

blitz - http://blitz.aeiou.pt/

there are also some sensacionalist newspapers here:

correio da manhã - http://www.correiomanha.pt/

24 horas - http://www.24horasnewspaper.com/

we also have loads of newspapers only about sport...are you interested in those?

and i was thinking...maybe if you read some portuguese blogs would be interesting too no?

hope these links work for you ;)

thanks a lot for the links, it will help me a lot. :kiss:

what does this words means?

ontem

adianta

numa

maus

embora

ainda

If you need a context... i read them on this article.

ontem- yesterday

adianta- advance

numa- in one

maus- bad (maus is the plural form of mau)

embora- although

ainda- still/yet

numa is the result of the jonction of the prepositions "em" (in) and "uma" (one)...

ontem- yesterday

adianta- advance

numa- in one

maus- bad (maus is the plural form of mau)

embora- although

ainda- still/yet

numa is the result of the jonction of the prepositions "em" (in) and "uma" (one)...

thanks a lot. I read more articles from the press links that lili posted here, so i have more questions of some words. I mostly understand everything, but there are some words or expressions that i don't understand yet.

link

Julgo ser esta a primeira integral moderna da peça Júlio César (c. 1597--99) que entre nós se vê.

segundo o fausto anacrónico de Hollywood

Sublinho a dupla acção

as distinguiu e encadeou como repetições fatais da mesmíssima tirania

regressa, assim, ao tema do poder, sob o olhar cada vez mais ácido de Luís Miguel Cintra.

No cenário austero de

ruínas de colunas estilizadas pontuam um espaço seccionado horizontalmente por painéis suspensos de madeira,

que simulam imponentes cantarias geométricas

os painéis sobem e descem para diferenciar as cenas públicas das conjuras privadas,

desaparecendo quando, em campo aberto, ecoa a batalha final.

opõe-se a definição politizada dos figurinos.

lençóis enrolados, à maneira de togas, sobre roupa preta de hoje

por fatos de executivo

estreitam um conflito retórico crucial

a acústica deficiente não justifica que mal se ouça o texto

vejam-se as indigentes cenas de multidão

que suga as subtilezas do texto

I've posted part of the sentences, to give the words a context. Is an article about a play at the theatre.

thanks in advance.

moito obligada na adianta (is that correct?)