✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portuguese Lessons.

Darlene_Ihnfsa

i already answered your PM...it's late and i really have to sleep so i'll let Miguel translate these things now! if he doesn't i'll translate when i have time!!

btw...the last sentence is not correct! it's mUito obRigada

and we really don't have an exact translation for thanks in advance i think! but you absolutly can't say that i'm sure!!

maybe you can say something like: "muito obrigada antecipadamente"...but it's really not common, it's very formal....people will laugh at you if you say something like this! :laugh2:

Miguel if you know of a good expression to translate thanks in advance please let us know!

i'll try to come here as soon as i can! ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks a lot. I read more articles from the press links that lili posted here, so i have more questions of some words. I mostly understand everything, but there are some words or expressions that i don't understand yet.

link

Julgo ser esta a primeira integral moderna da peça Júlio César (c. 1597--99) que entre nós se vê.

segundo o fausto anacrónico de Hollywood

Sublinho a dupla acção

as distinguiu e encadeou como repetições fatais da mesmíssima tirania

regressa, assim, ao tema do poder, sob o olhar cada vez mais ácido de Luís Miguel Cintra.

No cenário austero de

ruínas de colunas estilizadas pontuam um espaço seccionado horizontalmente por painéis suspensos de madeira,

que simulam imponentes cantarias geométricas

os painéis sobem e descem para diferenciar as cenas públicas das conjuras privadas,

desaparecendo quando, em campo aberto, ecoa a batalha final.

opõe-se a definição politizada dos figurinos.

lençóis enrolados, à maneira de togas, sobre roupa preta de hoje

por fatos de executivo

estreitam um conflito retórico crucial

a acústica deficiente não justifica que mal se ouça o texto

vejam-se as indigentes cenas de multidão

que suga as subtilezas do texto

I've posted part of the sentences, to give the words a context. Is an article about a play at the theatre.

thanks in advance.

moito obligada na adianta (is that correct?)

julgo- form of the verb"julgar" (to judge)... but in this case describes an opinion... I guess or I believe...

peça- piece... again different in this case... in "theatre language" peça means play...

segundo o fausto anacronico- the exact translation of "segundo" is second... in this case means after... but I don't know the rest... after the anacronic faust? maybe...

sublinho a dupla acção- I underline the double action

encadeou- past form of the verb "encadear" (to chain)

assim- like this or this way

sob o olhar- under the look

cenário- scenario... I think is the same in english

pontuam- form of the verb "pontuar"... (point or mark)

painéis- plural of "painel" (panel)

cantarias- this is a tough one... it basically means songs... we use this word especially from traditional songs...

conjuras- plural of conjura (conspiracy)

ecoa- form of the verb "ecoar" (to echoe)

opõe-se- form of the verb "opor" (to oppose)

lençóis enrolados- rolled bed sheets

preta- black

hoje- today

fatos- suits

estreitam- form of the verb "estreitar" (to narrow)

ouça- form of the verb "ouvir" (to listen)

multidão- crowd

suga- form of the verb "sugar" (to suck)

if there's something here not clear enough just say it... be glad to help... but I must say this is quite a hard text for a beginner....

btw... thanks in advance you can say: desde já muito obrigada or agradeço desde já...

desde- since

já- now

agradeço- form of the verb "agradecer" (to thank)

i already answered your PM...it's late and i really have to sleep so i'll let Miguel translate these things now! if he doesn't i'll translate when i have time!!

btw...the last sentence is not correct! it's mUito obRigada

and we really don't have an exact translation for thanks in advance i think! but you absolutly can't say that i'm sure!!

maybe you can say something like: "muito obrigada antecipadamente"...but it's really not common, it's very formal....people will laugh at you if you say something like this! :laugh2:

Miguel if you know of a good expression to translate thanks in advance please let us know!

i'll try to come here as soon as i can! ;)

i just read your pm. thanks a lot. i will post here the questions i have, i sent you the pm because i don't know why the thread didn't work properly... so, sorry. don't worry, come here when you can, don't be worry for it, i mean study (uni) go first.

good luck with the exams.

julgo- form of the verb"julgar" (to judge)... but in this case describes an opinion... I guess or I believe...

peça- piece... again different in this case... in "theatre language" peça means play...

segundo o fausto anacronico- the exact translation of "segundo" is second... in this case means after... but I don't know the rest... after the anacronic faust? maybe...

sublinho a dupla acção- I underline the double action

encadeou- past form of the verb "encadear" (to chain)

assim- like this or this way

sob o olhar- under the look

cenário- scenario... I think is the same in english

pontuam- form of the verb "pontuar"... (point or mark)

painéis- plural of "painel" (panel)

cantarias- this is a tough one... it basically means songs... we use this word especially from traditional songs...

conjuras- plural of conjura (conspiracy)

ecoa- form of the verb "ecoar" (to echoe)

opõe-se- form of the verb "opor" (to oppose)

lençóis enrolados- rolled bed sheets

preta- black

hoje- today

fatos- suits

estreitam- form of the verb "estreitar" (to narrow)

ouça- form of the verb "ouvir" (to listen)

multidão- crowd

suga- form of the verb "sugar" (to suck)

if there's something here not clear enough just say it... be glad to help... but I must say this is quite a hard text for a beginner....

btw... thanks in advance you can say: desde já muito obrigada or agradeço desde já...

desde- since

já- now

agradeço- form of the verb "agradecer" (to thank)

muito obrigada miguel. i noticied that it was a hard text for a beginner, but i mostly understood it, although it had some "technical" words which i didn't understood. I just wanted to try if i understand this kind of text too. but i'll keep trying with other ones.

btw do you celebrate easter week in portugal? what do you do?

here we have "profesiones", that's, people march with saints or biblic figures, people rememore the passion of Christ, but those are pretty different from the north and the south of Spain. I'll post some pics if you are interested in.

muito obrigada miguel. i noticied that it was a hard text for a beginner, but i mostly understood it, although it had some "technical" words which i didn't understood. I just wanted to try if i understand this kind of text too. but i'll keep trying with other ones.

btw do you celebrate easter week in portugal? what do you do?

here we have "profesiones", that's, people march with saints or biblic figures, people rememore the passion of Christ, but those are pretty different from the north and the south of Spain. I'll post some pics if you are interested in.

you're welcome... my pleasure... ;)

sure we do... but mostly in small villages... big towns are losing tradition... anyway I haven't spend easter in Portugal for a while now cause I'm living in Switzerland...

I'd love to see pictures... :D

^^:stunned:...we absolutly don't have these kind of celebrations for easter at least...here it's more about having lunch with your family on sunday and eat lods of chocolate!

that's a good expression! ;)

you're good in translating stuff!! much better than me! :)

Link to a local newspaper in Viseu

é lembrado que

Os rituais de Sexta-feira Santa decorrem

nomeadamente a bênção do lume

numa alocução à coluna de fogo

é o cume do tríduo pascal

com a bênção dos ramos a decorrer no cruzeiro e no adro

que atinge todos os anos

e o ritual do pão quente são outros dos momentos

Is about easter week.

btw lili, we also have dinner with our families, during semana santa.

no Lili... I'm not good... in fact I left school quite early... let's say that due to my job, I must "thank" people a lot... ;)

i know, you told me that once, but despite this fact YOU ARE a good translator! it has to be said and im not saying it just to be nice otherwise i wouldnt mention it :)

Link to a local newspaper in Viseu[/url]

é lembrado que

Os rituais de Sexta-feira Santa decorrem

nomeadamente a bênção do lume

numa alocução à coluna de fogo

é o cume do tríduo pascal

com a bênção dos ramos a decorrer no cruzeiro e no adro

que atinge todos os anos

e o ritual do pão quente são outros dos momentos

Is about easter week.

btw lili, we also have dinner with our families, during semana santa.

lembrado - from the verb "lembrar", to remember

decorrem - take place

nomeadamente - in particular

alocução - allusion

tríduo - period of three days where you do religious rituals (i had to check the dictionary for this one!)

adro - space in front or around a church (sorry but i dont know how to explain any better)

atinge - from the verb "atingir", to reach

quente - warm

and i probably gave the wrong idea about easter here, some people celebrate it in a religious way (as you could see from this text) but it's not as celebrated there...here is not that huge!

that's great! i'm sure it will help you! ;)...well you can always keep searching and go to another book shop right?

pelo is not correct there because the word ajuda is feminin...so to be correct it would be: muito obrigado pela ajuda

and so that you know: i will not be home this week so i'll only be able to post here on the next sunday (8th)

that's great! i'm sure it will help you! ;)...well you can always keep searching and go to another book shop right?

pelo is not correct there because the word ajuda is feminin...so to be correct it would be: muito obrigado pela ajuda

and so that you know: i will not be home this week so i'll only be able to post here on the next sunday (8th)

yes, but that's the bigger book shop in my city... i'll keep going there, may be they have some new materials next time.

thanks for correct me, i thought it was like you say but as my latin teacher used to say "we learn from the mistakes".

easter holidays, i suppouse?. enjoy them!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i keep reading portuguese press and i understand it :)

i must go to the book shop again.

i've read the conversation guide book i bought. i thought to post on portugal thread directly but i don't feel i've learn enough to post there.. :thinking: for me is difficult the pronouns thing.. you put them different than in spanish.

Olà Lili, como está hoje? how was your easter week? :)

good! i'm glad you understand it! :)

oh...feel free to post there whenever you want!

it's olá...you only have the accent wrong...and btw, if you say "como está" you are being formal, using "como estás" you are being informal...just thought you might want to know

i'm fine...just a little worried about a test that's coming up...my easter week was fine, i got to see almost my whole family...i should have studied more though!! :P...and you? everything ok?

http://dn.sapo.pt/2007/04/13/nacional/receber_aluno_certificado_e_raro_nao.html

certificado de habilitações

^i think that's some kind of title of studies... like a first certificate or something....:thinking: that's an uni certificate?

não indeferi liminarmente

às vezes do professor a lançar as notas

^that's publish exam results or something like that.. :thinking:

embora

^i think you already answered me this one before...

as inscrições para estágio

garante

Não consigo aceitar que

até porque

No entanto

é haver muitos atrasos

não estava nessa altura

---------------------------------

http://dn.sapo.pt/2007/04/13/internacional/espanha_alarmada_apos_atentados_arge.html

o próximo alvo

cisão de

^^

certificado de habilitações - it's a document that says basically what you studied...like how far you went in school and if you did go to uni. for example, i have one saying that i completed high school, i think i'll get another one when i finish my degree

"e não indeferi liminarmente o processo" - in the context: the person allowed the process to go on

^that's publish exam results or something like that.. - yup, that's it

embora - although

estágio - i'm sure there's an english word for that but i actually can't remember it :embarassed:. anyway, when you finish a degree at uni you do it, you work for some months to complete your degree and i guess you get a grade in the end

(ele) garante - he guarantees

Não consigo aceitar que - i can't accept that

até porque - even because

No entanto - however

é haver muitos atrasos - "haver" here means exist....there were a lot of delays

não estava nessa altura - i wasn't here at that time

o próximo alvo - alvo means target

cisão de - split of

^^

certificado de habilitações - it's a document that says basically what you studied...like how far you went in school and if you did go to uni. for example, i have one saying that i completed high school, i think i'll get another one when i finish my degree

"e não indeferi liminarmente o processo" - in the context: the person allowed the process to go on

^that's publish exam results or something like that.. - yup, that's it

embora - although

estágio - i'm sure there's an english word for that but i actually can't remember it :embarassed:. anyway, when you finish a degree at uni you do it, you work for some months to complete your degree and i guess you get a grade in the end

(ele) garante - he guarantees

Não consigo aceitar que - i can't accept that

até porque - even because

No entanto - however

é haver muitos atrasos - "haver" here means exist....there were a lot of delays

não estava nessa altura - i wasn't here at that time

o próximo alvo - alvo means target

cisão de - split of

obrigada lili :)

so we also have the certificado de habilitações here... one when we finish high school (eso), other when we finish our a-levels and i'll have another one when i'll finish my uni studies.

oh éstagio, so that's practices, stage... i asked it because i doubt if it was stage or was something related with floors...

btw here there are lots of delays too... i got my eso certificado de habilitaçoes when i was finishing my a-levels lol... they haven't send me yet my certificado de habilitaçoes of my a-levels... they are lazy people i think... this burocracy system :dozey:

no prob ;)

yeah every country has it i guess...

oh you can say stage in english for that? i thought about that word but then i thought it was only used to speak about theatre :laugh2:

oh really? i actually got mine a few days after i knew my high school grades...i needed to show it once i applied to uni

but i hate when burocracy takes a long time!!

well i don't know the english work for it now... stage... i learnt it from french... i don't remember now if english use it meaning practices... but you are right, it use to refers to theatre...

well we got out final results and a book that have our results .... it allows us to work and get to uni... what i meant as certificado is a kind of diploma, this nice paper that shows your studies and that is signed by politics... :idea2:

good news i've bought 2 books about grammar :smug2: and i'm studying them, so i feel i'll be ready to post in portuguese soon. :)

I have a question about grammar point: gerund.

according with the grammar book it says that there are 2 structures, one portuguese and other brazilian.

poruguese:

estar (to be)+preposition a+verb in infinitive form

estou a falar ao telephone.

brazilian:

estar (to be)+ verb ending in -ando, -endo, -indo.

estou falando ao telephone.

Brazilian form is like in spanish.

But i've read some portuguese sites and they use the brazilian form... so my question is, do you use both forms in portugal?

I'm worrried that if i learn too much brazilian forms, because some of them are easier for me to learn, portuguese people won't understand me... :embarassed:

another questions i have are cultural:

1. does foreing films in portugal are translated in portuguese or are in the original language?

2. which portuguese enterprises work there in intnernet, mobile phones?

good news i've bought 2 books about grammar :smug2: and i'm studying them, so i feel i'll be ready to post in portuguese soon. :)

great! ;)...actually, one spanish girl was presenting something to the whole class the other day and i remembered you! i understood her perfectly but she said some words in spanish in the middle and all with a spanish accent of course!...really nice of her to volunteer to speak in a language she doesn't know too well

anyway...i'm going to answer to your questions now!