✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portuguese Lessons.

Darlene_Ihnfsa

I have a question about grammar point: gerund.

according with the grammar book it says that there are 2 structures, one portuguese and other brazilian.

poruguese:

estar (to be)+preposition a+verb in infinitive form

estou a falar ao telephone.

brazilian:

estar (to be)+ verb ending in -ando, -endo, -indo.

estou falando ao telephone.

Brazilian form is like in spanish.

But i've read some portuguese sites and they use the brazilian form... so my question is, do you use both forms in portugal?

I'm worrried that if i learn too much brazilian forms, because some of them are easier for me to learn, portuguese people won't understand me... :embarassed:

another questions i have are cultural:

1. does foreing films in portugal are translated in portuguese or are in the original language?

2. which portuguese enterprises work there in intnernet, mobile phones?

let me just correct you on something: it's "telefone", it was written it with "ph" a long time ago...

portuguese people will definetly understand you if you speak in a brazilian accent, don't worry!! ;)

in the case you mentioned we don't use gerund. i'm trying to remember what i've learned in the 6th grade about the gerund rule and i think we only use gerund to talk about an action that we are starting to do in the present and will continue in the future. in the case you mentioned, we are in the middle of the action so we wouldn't use geround like brazilian people. do you understand or is it too confusing? :confused: if it is sorry...

1. in portugal foreign movies have subtitles in cinema if that's what you mean...the only movies that may not have subtitles and are dubbed are the childish ones for kids to understand it. but even on that ones you often get to choose between the original version and the portuguese one

2. well i guess not many...portuguese ones: we have tmn for mobile phones and netcabo, clix, adsl for internet but i'm not sure if these last ones are portuguese really...but you can use roaming and if it's too expensive when you get here inform yourself about the tariffs...actually, do you want links? i'll search if you want :cool:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if im not wrong i think we use both forms of gerund, the second one "estou falando ao telefone" is more use in the south, alentejo, not sure if algarve uses it. sorry for interrupting ur lessons :P

thanks a lot for your explanations.

I understand it. So the use is exactly like the spanish form and use. (Well i copied the first example that the grammar book have).

about the mobile, i think i'll do the roaming thing, but the info i found seemed that the spanish enterprises don't work in Portugal :o but looking for it info again, it seems that they do.

According to the grammar book it says that to form the comparative the structure is:

tão + adjective + quanto/como

exemples:

Lisboa é tão interessante quanto o Porto

Hoje foi um día tão divertido como ontem

My question is:

does there are any rules that explain when to use quanto and when to use como in this structure?

muito obrigada.

it seems u made an hard question :P

the gramma says there r 2 auxiliary verbs, ter and haver but i think we use more ter. in some case u can use both but i advice u to use only ter till u know more about our language. hope im not wrong.

^^i think you're right

we use both but in different situations and we use more the verb ter. anyway, i can't remember how is the verb haver in preterito perfeito composto, but i can tell you that that the sentence "eu hei falado" is not used at all and in fact is wrong in my opinion. did you see it in a grammar book?

the sentence "eu tenho falado" is right of course.

verbs are a really complicated thing in the Portuguese language! i was really bad at school when we had to learn them all!!!

hei estudado its wrong, well its not wrong, we dont use it. i think we only use the 3rd person, há. advice - forget the verb haver :P jk. im gonna make a list of sentences with verb haver for u.

lili, any news about allstars 07?

ive been reading all the posts and i found out u r spanish :O lol, why cant we talk in portuguese and spanish? just an idea, im sure lili knows some spanish or portuspanish. if we cant get it then we try in english, what do u think?

hei estudado its wrong, well its not wrong, we dont use it. i think we only use the 3rd person, há. advice - forget the verb haver :P jk. im gonna make a list of sentences with verb haver for u.

lili, any news about allstars 07?

:laugh3:...yeah because we use the verb haver when we want to say exist....like:

há muitas nuvens no céu - there are many clouds in the sky

do the list, it would be easier for her to understand i guess :)

news? i don't know anything...i don't really watch football...but i guess it's gonna be televised just because it was a year ago and the years after. it was not advertised yet, though. at least i didn't see any publicity to that

ive been reading all the posts and i found out u r spanish :O lol, why cant we talk in portuguese and spanish? just an idea, im sure lili knows some spanish or portuspanish. if we cant get it then we try in english, what do u think?

i can try it of course! but i know more portuspanish than spanish!! i think i can understand it if i read slowly so no problem

Let's answer in spanish then...

Gracias por vuestras respuestas rush y lili.

Sí, en el libro de gramática los tiempos compuestos vienen con el verbo ter, pero entre paréntesis viene también el haver, en todos los verbos.

Creo que sí entiendo las diferencias, ya que en castellano es igual, también usamos dos auxiliares y eso marca el sentido del verbo, como veo que ocurre en Portugués. Creo que la lista será parecida al castellano.

agradeço muito ou muito obrigada.

como é que voce se chama esta correcto mas é brazileiro. português - como é que te chamas ou como é que se chama (mais formal, quando não conhecemos a pessoa ou é mais velha).

chamo-me ana. tu?

p.s. - nunca consideres as minhas explicações correctas porque podem estar erradas :P

casal = couple

agradeço muito rush.

como é que se chama você rush?

(does você is in the correct order in the sentence? or it must be--> como é que você se chama? :thinking: )

casal significa matrimonio lili? como vai lili? ;)

está tudo bem e com vocês? fiz hoje um exame que correu bem :D

matrimonio = casamento (weeding)

deves-te ter enganado, escreve-se wedding...;)

beatriz: encontrei um dicionário de português online...procurei-o para mim mas pode ser que te ajude: http://www.priberam.pt/dlpo/dlpo.aspx