✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Aug-08: Hartford - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Jul]

Hartford did not get an encore, they got the same setlist as Toronto and DC

Ah, gotcha. Too bad, but I sort of understand why they do it that way...they want to begin and end the album and sew it all up neatly, but I'd have prefered encores too.

Did Hartford also get The Hardest Part in 2 segments?;)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41401461-thumb-380x252.jpg

The issue of fan entitlement has come up before, but people crabbing about Coldplay's performance last weekend in Hartford suggests it's time for a refresher.

Some Coldplay adherent are unhappy with just about everything the band did -- or didn't do -- at XL Center last Saturday night: The group didn't play long enough, no one apologized for changing the date of the show from July to August, they didn't finish playing the last 18 seconds of "Hardest Part," they charged too much, they didn't play a proper encore by some standards.

There's an easy solution to all of that: Stay home.

At home, you have total control. You can create your perfect set list on iTunes and listen to it wherever you go on your mp3 player and not pay $8 for a beer.

If you buy a concert ticket, though, you have to be willing to surrender control. It's caveat emptor: You pays your money and you takes your chances. Fans who buy concert tickets are not entitled to live renditions of their favorite songs. They're not entitled to 120 minutes of non-stop music. They're not entitled to encores, which have become an empty gesture anyway.

If you pay your money and come away disappointed, well, you are entitled to that -- everyone has a different idea of what makes for a great show. But if you often find yourself disappointed after a concert, why do you keep going to concerts?

http://blogs.courant.com/eric_danton_sound_check/2008/08/dissatisfied-coldplay-fans-gri.html

BusyBeeBurns:

Your post is somewhat pathetic, especially where you tell fans who express less-than-positive opinions about the current tour to "stay home." You're basically telling people not to have an opinion. (Or maybe in your world, you would permit us to have an opinion, but just not to express it out loud.) What's wrong with expressing disappointment about a band's song selection, show length, or encore?

And what's up with "coldplaying.com" featuring this particular blog on its homepage, but not others? I always assumed that fans were free to express their likes and dislikes on this website. (I'm assuming that's why it's called a "forum.") After all, music is all about the expression of ideas, likes, and dislikes. Why would/should a fan website not encourage that same expression?

"Hartford did not get an encore, they got the same setlist as Toronto and DC"

Just to clear things up, everthing after the acoustic set is intended to be the encore. At the Chicago shows, Chris said something to this effect, at other shows he may not have. So if anything the band needs to be clearer about the end of the main set/start of the encore as people are appearently getting confused.

However, many of the earlier shows did get an added 2nd encore, my guess is this was stopped due to Chris' cold. Perhaps when he recovers fully, it will be added back in.

As for people sitting, that's just part of a big arena show. With a crowd that large, a large percentage of the audience will always be casual fans of the band who will not show the same enthousiasm(sp) as the more dedicated fans (which is what anybody posting here probably is.)

AND BTW-Gretchen,

Busybee Burns is NOT the author of the original post, It's an article from a newspaper in Hartford which in his capacity as Mod he posted here (as he does with all CP related articles positive or negative) If you have a problem with said article, take it up with the author, not the board mod who is just trying to post imformation of interest to those who follow the band, which is what this site exists for in the first place.

THANK YOU fakfak. I really appreciate someone clearing that one up so that we can't bitch about yet another thing Coldplay owes us. And you're right. They should be more clear about that.:)

I made a thread a while back called 'Coldplay Damned Well Better...' bemoaning the usual fan BS, and I'll sum it up here quickly. They DO owe their fans their career. They DON'T owe us their lives. Chris is still sick, fer f**k's sakes. Do you want him healthy, or do you just want your way, people? The band aren't robots and they can only do so much.

Yes, people are most definitely entitled to their opinions, good or bad, but stop acting like the band owes us more than they've given. I guess free songs and shows just aren't enough for some people.:P

Ah, gotcha. Too bad, but I sort of understand why they do it that way...they want to begin and end the album and sew it all up neatly, but I'd have prefered encores too.

Did Hartford also get The Hardest Part in 2 segments?;)

Yeah, I dont really mind, the whole show was awesome!

We got a partial Hardest Part but then they went on to Yellow

Yeah, I dont really mind, the whole show was awesome!

We got a partial Hardest Part but then they went on to Yellow

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened in Toronto. Chris started it, 'messed up', quit the song, then the band come back to it later in the show...and didn't play the last 18 seconds,lol. Obviously it's rehearsed, but it's still funny.:D

At the risk of being slaughtered by a lot of you guys, I think it comes down to one simple thing:

Coldplay ARE NOT a great live band

Coldplay ARE a good live band

They will never (IMHO) be as good as U2 or Radiohead live, but they are really enjoyable if you take them on their own terms.

It's funny to me that their detractors always say Coldplay aren't as good as "this or that other band", yet turn around and b^%ch when they aren't as good as those same bands live. That logic just doesn't make sense...:dozey:

At the risk of being slaughtered by a lot of you guys, I think it comes down to one simple thing:

Coldplay ARE NOT a great live band

Coldplay ARE a good live band

They will never (IMHO) be as good as U2 or Radiohead live, but they are really enjoyable if you take them on their own terms.

It's funny to me that their detractors always say Coldplay aren't as good as "this or that other band", yet turn around and b^%ch when they aren't as good as those same bands live. That logic just doesn't make sense...:dozey:

I don't entirely agree with you, but IMHO they were better on the AROBTTH tour than they've been since. Just my opinion though. No slaughtering from this poster.

My only point was that maybe the reason why they don't measure up to some other bands, is that they are not as good as those other bands. Stop thinking of Coldplay as "the next u2" and most of ther issues people have will be gone.

Let me rephrase,

They are a GREAT live band, but not by any means the GREATEST live band I've seen.

My Top Live Bands:

1. U2

2. Muse

3. The White Stripes

4. Radiohead

5. The Black Crowes (only when Marc Ford was in the lineup)

Let me rephrase,

They are a GREAT live band, but not by any means the GREATEST live band I've seen.

My Top Live Bands:

1. U2

2. Muse

3. The White Stripes

4. Radiohead

Agreed about the black Crowes. Not so great anymore.

I have a friend who's seen most of those bands and still thinks Coldplay put on a better show...but that was 2002, like I said. It's all just opinions, and we're all entitled to them.:)

"Agreed about the black Crowes. Not so great anymore."

The 2005 Reunion tour was the high point for me, but I also saw them in 2001 when they toured with Oasis and Spacehog and that had to be one of the flat out best gigs I've ever seen.

Let me rephrase,

My Top Live Bands:

1. U2

2. Muse

3. The White Stripes

4. Radiohead

I'm sorry, I thought you may have made a mistake. How can there be a list of the top 5 best live bands without Dave Matthews Band?

What's to be sorry about?:)

BTW- where is that picture of Chris in your Avatar taken from? It seems a bit odd for him to be photographed without pants...:laugh3:

DMB are3 pretty awesome live.

The picture's from the 2005 MTV Europe awards. It was from a backstage skit where Borat steals Chris's pants,lol. I think there's still a clip somewhere in MM.

"How can there be a list of the top 5 best live bands without Dave Matthews Band?"

For a few reasons:

-I don't particularly like Jam Bands, (and before you jump on me, I know the Black Crowes could be considered a Jam Band.:P)

-I have a few issues with their live sets sometimes. (mixing it up, which you are right the pioneered is great but they go to far sometimes.) I've seen them do sets mostly of b-sides, rareties and whatnot, which me being a casual fan (if you can even consider me that), left me wondering what the f^&k they were playing for long portions of the set

-They tend to play outdoor venues which I hate with a seething passion. (Amphitheater's suck!)

-There fans tend to be a bit too hippy for my taste, so being jammed in with a mass of thousands of them tends to sour my live experience.

I've seen them twice though (both times because friends wanted to go and someone else bought my ticket.), and given that I don't particularly like them, they are fairly good as a live act.

Nothing against it, it's just not my thing. That's one of the problems with music in general today, people can't grasp the fact that everything won't appeal to everyone.

I get it, but if you make a list like that you should really put them even if youre not crazy about them. Just my opinion.;)

The list was of MY top five live acts. DMB is NOT one of my top five live acts. Being that's it's a matter of opinion, I don't see why I should list them when I don't enjoy them as much live as the bands I did name...

The list was of MY top five live acts. DMB is NOT one of my top five live acts. Being that's it's a matter of opinion, I don't see why I should list them when I don't enjoy them as much live as the bands I did name...

ok. sorry

:thinking: