✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Aug-08: Hartford - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Jul]

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the show was amazing.. i was lucky enough to have the seats in the row in front of the lil stage where they do their acoustic set in the crowd...I got Chris's guitar pick n he droped his harmonica on the floor and the security guard at the xl center was me n told me to grab it n to quote her "keep it. it was his lost n ur find", but i felt bad about taking it so i gave it back to the roadies as they were packing up..the highlight was when i talked to chris after the scientist n ask him to play Amsterdam where he responded " i dont remember how to play it" then he said something to the crowd about it but it was muffled so i didn't catch it. this was the 3rd time ive seen them n without a doubt the best

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was all pissed off over no encore and was saying it wasn't a good show. I was a fool.

Looking back on it now I realize an encore isn't that important, and you should ignore a bad opening act. The show itself was absolutely amazing. Here's my song-by-song recap:

Life in Technicolor: Exactly sounding like the album version, the crowd went nuts when the lights went out and Chris went wild on his acoustic guitar.

Violet Hill: Breath-taking, it was a song that really told you this was going to be a great night. The whole crowd sang along and Jonny's guitar solo was just brilliant.

Clocks: As usual, a spectacular laser-light show made the song one I surely won't forget any time soon.

In My Place: One of my favorites from the show for obvious reasons. Chris let the crowd sing the chorus and during Jonny's solo Chris gave him a shout out ("My best friend, Jon Buckland ladies and gentlemen.").

Viva la Vida: Just as it has been played, amazing vocals, and the entire crowd singing "Whoooaaahh" while Chris raps up the last chorus.

Yes: The jumbo screen was now pulled down, and the song was just brilliant accompanied by quick flashing video clips of the band both from the studio and live from the stage.

42: “Those who are dead...” As soon as the first line rang out the energy in the arena rose to another level. The many layered solos had the crowd jumping and head-banging all the way until Chris finished the song off nice and quietly with his “oooohhhh”.

Fix You: By far, my favorite song of the night. Chris’s vocals were just perfect and the crowd was singing right on during the entire song, especially bursting out during the chorus. The bridge part with Jonny’s riff was so uplifting it made me want to leap into the air and sing. The song was just perfect.

Strawberry Swing: Somewhat unexpected, Strawberry Swing featured many beautiful colored designs on the big screen. Chris mixed up the lyrics a little bit at parts for variety, but it was an amazing and sweet break from all the head-banging.

Chinese Sleep Chant: This was the one song I expected to be somewhat dull, as the crowd couldn’t really sing along. But a stunning laser show put Clocks to shame and made the song a visual masterpiece.

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face: Beginning with Jonny having some fun with his whammy bar, the song was extremely techno-sounding and it was an interesting new take on an old classic.

Square One: Visually this was the one song that didn’t lift you off your feet, but it was executed to perfection and Chris ended it with an nice piano outro as he sang, “Is there anybody out there who...”.

The Hardest Part: Chris sat at his piano and played a very pleasant and melodic version of the song. It was going well until the part where he sings, “Everything I know is wrong” where he suddenly stopped playing. I thought he had made a mistake but instead he says, “This isn’t a big enough hit. If you’re going to play Hartford on a Saturday night you need big hits up your sleeve...”.

Yellow: So a big hit it was as the entire crowd was dancing and jumping like mad as the full version was rocking the arena. Yellow lights shone on all of us, and it was like being in a dream as everyone knew every word, and Chris let us all sing the both verses. It ended with Chris lying on the ground on the side stage singing the final lines.

Lost!: Will was really hammering into the drums for the entire song. During the chorus the entire crowd sang, and it competed with In My Place for best crowd song. It was just a rock out song and I loved (as usual) the “big fish small pond” verse.

The Scientist: At this point the band left the main stage, ran through the crowd (one girl did jump out and kiss Chris), and up near the entrance to the arena. There they set up and played The Scientist beautifully, with Chris singing the “oooohhh” in low notes reminiscent of Yes.

Death Will Never Conquer: Chris started by saying, “We all wish we could have the voice of Justin Timberlake and of course his body,” (to which every girl screamed) “But we’ll just have to except being in the greatest band in the world.” The crowd went nuts and Will took a guitar and played and sang Death Will Never Conquer, with Chris giving a short harmonica solo. As soon as it was over, the band waved and ran out of the arena and into the hallway.

Interlude: Many people ran into the hallway to see the band, the rest of us sat down as the giant orbs showed that man’s comments on Chris being not a man and cowardly. The crowd booed viciously. After that we all got to see the Dancing Politicians video. Then the band quietly got back on stage to silence those remarks about Chris.

Politik: This song was loud and thrashing and maybe the second best of the night. Chris’s vocals were right on as they beat out on their instruments. The lights flashed with each beat and the whole crowd was head-banging the whole way through. The song ended with Chris giving a short piano solo.

Lovers in Japan: The song began with Jonny’s tremolo shaking the ground. Pictures rolled on the big screen of scenes of flowers and fields and soldiers, matching with the lyrics of course. About halfway through, the butterfly confetti was released. There must have been a million pieces, I myself pocketed about 50. It was a beautiful song that let you know the show was winding down.

Death and All His Friends: Many people were exhausted by now, and sat as Chris began the soft piano part of the song. He sang it so beautifully and it was clear this would be the closing song. As the guitar came in people began to stand. By the time the drums kicked in the whole crowd was on its feet, jumping on fist-pumping along with the “bang bang bang bang bang” of Will’s drums. We all were dancing as the tempo pickled up. Once the guitar came in (sounding exactly the same as the studio version) no one was moving much. It took a second for the shock of how amazing the song was to wear off. Then it was one giant Coldplay-fest as the whole crowd sang with the band “No I don’t want to battle from beginning to end...”. The song ended pretty abruptly to a monstrous roar of applause.

The Escapist: Chris gave his usual goodbye and said, “Drive safe and have a good weekend.” Like how could we not after that show?

The Escapist music began playing as the guys waved to the crowd and came up front for a bow. The crowd was on their feet as Chris sang the final words, and just like that the band disappeared off-stage, leaving us all dazed on a Coldplay-high.

Now I know there are some people who were angry about not having an encore, but we got 21 songs that were as good as can be, and I personally am now satisfied with that. It was a night I will always remember, and I surely will be seeing them again.

Yeah, looking back at some of the YouTube vids...it was a great night, no doubt about it.

But, 21 songs? I only counted 20. Are you counting The Escapist?

And the guy in the video before Politik was Bill O'Reilly, a Conservative tool if there ever was one.

Yeah, looking back at some of the YouTube vids...it was a great night, no doubt about it.

But, 21 songs? I only counted 20. Are you counting The Escapist?

And the guy in the video before Politik was Bill O'Reilly, a Conservative tool if there ever was one.

I was counting Escapist;)

Yeah, that's why I decided to just keep my camera in my bag. I just focused completely on Coldplay and nothing else. :)

Me too, after Scientist I learned my lesson:laugh3:

Boy wasnt Fix You just brilliant?

Boy wasnt Fix You just brilliant?

Everything was brilliant... haha. I loved every single thing they played! I think my personal favorite of the night was Politik. I was sooo thrilled they played it, because they didn't at MSG back in June, and I really missed it. It just doesn't feel like a Coldplay show without jumping and screaming along to Politik. ;)

i'll probably have good pics and videos of boston because the girl i'm going with is bringing her camera.

anyway... i'd say we got 20 songs. escapist is just a recording so i wouldnt count that. but fix you was really good. idk it didnt blow me away like some of the other songs last night but it was still amazing.

Everything was brilliant... haha. I loved every single thing they played! I think my personal favorite of the night was Politik. I was sooo thrilled they played it, because they didn't at MSG back in June, and I really missed it. It just doesn't feel like a Coldplay show without jumping and screaming along to Politik. ;)

Politik was my second favorite but Fix You was just unbelievable. I wanted to cry when it ended.:cry:

i'll probably have good pics and videos of boston because the girl i'm going with is bringing her camera.

anyway... i'd say we got 20 songs. escapist is just a recording so i wouldnt count that. but fix you was really good. idk it didnt blow me away like some of the other songs last night but it was still amazing.

Yeah but Ill still count Escapist just because:P

I dont know why but Fix You just really was amazing to me

How bout everyone jumping during Yellow, and Chris letting us sing the verses for him:D

quick story-

I went down from our seats in the 1st section (106) to try to get the setlist/confetti, and the security guards were being major assholes and told me that "there's no way in hell" I could get a setlist. As I was going back to my seat, a roadie handed me his setlist as a consolation prize...nowhere near as good as the real thing, but better than nothing (still confettiless, though!)...here's the roadie's setlist:

setlist1sm4.jpg