✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Aug-08: Hartford - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Jul]

It was my first time I rode a greyhound so I thought it's always like this! the next bus would leave at 7am so I'm not surprised they were willing to stand.

The guy sat in the middle, ahhh it was so scary, it's hard to describe but I was like WTF, he cuddled the teddy bear like a scared 4 year old kid.

Lucky you, I sat in the middle, and people were leaning on me, then a guy next to me had his hand between his leg and mine, and then the poeple who were standing sat on the floor, so I couldn't move away from the guy, it was so uncomfortable!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard kind of a sad story about this concert. My sister's boyfriend's sister went to this concert with some friends (well, some she didn't really know too well) and a "date" she didn't know well either.

In the parking lot before the concert they somehow convinced her to take some vodka shots (she's a straight A student, my age who doesn't drink). During the concert she get's sick, passes out in the bathroom and is eventually picked up by paramedics and sent to the hospital. While this is going on her "date" doesn't even leave the concert and my sister has to pick her up at the hospital.

Very sad series of events, and after all that she didn't even get to see the concert.

First opener?!

did anybody else catch the first opener? The sound was better for her set than for Santogold-- seems strange that it wouldn't be the other way around. I wish she sang more than 4(5?) songs though-- can anyone tell me what her name was.. Amanda __? A bunch of people in my section got postcards but it ran out before my row.

It was my first time I rode a greyhound so I thought it's always like this! the next bus would leave at 7am so I'm not surprised they were willing to stand.

The guy sat in the middle, ahhh it was so scary, it's hard to describe but I was like WTF, he cuddled the teddy bear like a scared 4 year old kid.

Lucky you, I sat in the middle, and people were leaning on me, then a guy next to me had his hand between his leg and mine, and then the poeple who were standing sat on the floor, so I couldn't move away from the guy, it was so uncomfortable!

Sorry you got a weird guy next to you! I would've been uncomfortable too, although I was so tired I might not have cared! I always fear getting somebody weird or annoying when I take these buses, fortunately I had a window seat and got a normal, quiet petite gal who was also at the show next to me. No, they are not always like that...generally they either have another bus on standby or make you wait for the next one but I guess since it was the last of the night and there was no staff at the bus station at all that the driver let them get on, I think most drivers wouldn't. Probably wasn't the normal amount of people either for that bus, probably was the combo of a big-name show that was months before a NYC show, and it being a Saturday night, that generated all the people coming up!

yayitsbrian, the first opener's name was Amanda Kaletsky...while I didn't hate Santogold that much, Amanda was much more enjoyable!

end of politik?

Everything was brilliant... haha. I loved every single thing they played! I think my personal favorite of the night was Politik. I was sooo thrilled they played it, because they didn't at MSG back in June, and I really missed it. It just doesn't feel like a Coldplay show without jumping and screaming along to Politik. ;)

does anyone know what he played on the piano at the end of politik? thanks. :)

Sorry you got a weird guy next to you! I would've been uncomfortable too, although I was so tired I might not have cared! I always fear getting somebody weird or annoying when I take these buses, fortunately I had a window seat and got a normal, quiet petite gal who was also at the show next to me. No, they are not always like that...generally they either have another bus on standby or make you wait for the next one but I guess since it was the last of the night and there was no staff at the bus station at all that the driver let them get on, I think most drivers wouldn't. Probably wasn't the normal amount of people either for that bus, probably was the combo of a big-name show that was months before a NYC show, and it being a Saturday night, that generated all the people coming up!

yayitsbrian, the first opener's name was Amanda Kaletsky...while I didn't hate Santogold that much, Amanda was much more enjoyable!

Thanks, but after all I was in much better position than those who were standing up!!! so I can't really complain. I would do anything for Coldplay so I'm happy I could be there. Good to hear grehound isn't always packed, I'll be taking it next time I'll be seeing Coldplay.

Mmm I should upload the videos i took for you guys to see, and i realized I took too many of them! next time I'm not taking my camera!

thanks, 2732, but i think it was actually another piece of music; it was really familiar. does anyone else know? it's driving me crazy! thanks. :)

yea it's definately from some classical tune. i've been trying to find out too. i remember seeing it in another thread but now i completelyy forget!

"In the parking lot before the concert they somehow convinced her to take some vodka shots (she's a straight A student, my age who doesn't drink). During the concert she get's sick, passes out in the bathroom and is eventually picked up by paramedics and sent to the hospital. While this is going on her "date" doesn't even leave the concert and my sister has to pick her up at the hospital. "

:cry: How awful that story is! Still, it's fortunate somebody got to her in time to give her some kind of help. Stories that start like that often end up a lot worse...

Sounds like the bus ride back to NYC was "interesting" as well.:rolleyes: Sounds like you're lucky your Greyhound weirdos were only annoying and not homicidal like that one in Winnipeg last week. (that was some messed up s$%t!)

...On that uplifting note, I'm going to bed.

My brief review - an excellent show, Coldplay really brings the goods. Not too tech'd out, I thought the screen and the balls were just right. Chris and the boys are amazing, music was great. I thought the Viva songs are better live than on CD, part of what makes them better is that the songs aren't as familar as the hits off the past albums. I wish the crowd wouldn't be so loud and sing along to each song, I'm sure like any great artist, Chris would want to evolve and find greater depth; reveal a different side or add more texture to a given song, but the crowd's participation doesn't seem to allow for that. I'm sure Yellow is beat to death in Chris' mind, certainly Scientist or Clocks could be modified to be better than the recording, but the crowd won't allow it to happen. I mean, it was a great terrific show, despite the lack of an encore, I do think if the crowd backed off a little, it could be even better. Thoughts?

"I'm sure Yellow is beat to death in Chris' mind, certainly Scientist or Clocks could be modified to be better than the recording, but the crowd won't allow it to happen. I mean, it was a great terrific show, despite the lack of an encore, I do think if the crowd backed off a little, it could be even better. Thoughts?"

I agree. However, I would contend the band are already doing this to some degree. They've left out radio hits like Talk and Shiver for (presumably for them) more interesting material from the new album. Also, I don't really get how the new version of GPASOYF, the acoustic version of Yellow or the Scientist, don't qualify as modified. With a band this popular playing gigs this big, there will always be fans who just want to sing along to the hits, but it seems to me with this current tour, the band are much more comfortable in their own skin and are playing what they want.

My brief review - an excellent show, Coldplay really brings the goods. Not too tech'd out, I thought the screen and the balls were just right. Chris and the boys are amazing, music was great. I thought the Viva songs are better live than on CD, part of what makes them better is that the songs aren't as familar as the hits off the past albums. I wish the crowd wouldn't be so loud and sing along to each song, I'm sure like any great artist, Chris would want to evolve and find greater depth; reveal a different side or add more texture to a given song, but the crowd's participation doesn't seem to allow for that. I'm sure Yellow is beat to death in Chris' mind, certainly Scientist or Clocks could be modified to be better than the recording, but the crowd won't allow it to happen. I mean, it was a great terrific show, despite the lack of an encore, I do think if the crowd backed off a little, it could be even better. Thoughts?

I personally loved the crowd participation. Hearing the band perfectly is what albums are for, when I go to a concert I want to sing out and I want people around me singing as well. It sort of unties everyone. No matter who you are or where you come from, the important thing is that for a few hours nothing matters but the music.

Coldplay has hot night

HARTFORD - Whether playing center stage, playing on the two side ramps that stretched into the crowd or playing a mini-acoustic set way in the back of the arena, Coldplay lived up to all the hype it's been getting these days and totally conquered the capacity crowd Saturday night at the XL Center.

The band offered plenty of dazzling eye candy throughout its 90-minute performance, from laser lights and floating video globes to showers of confetti butterflies, which all added to the aura.

Ultimately, though, it was the music that proved most captivating and which could have held up on its own even without all the glitz and effects.

Charismatic lead singer Chris Martin, guitarist Johnny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion are on the road, riding the wave of their chart-topping album "Viva La Vida," which sold in excess of 720,000 copies in the first week after its release in June. It debuted at No. 1 in 36 countries.

Those numbers alone provide ample evidence as to why The British quartet is arguably the biggest band in the world at the moment.

But popularity is typically accompanied by intense scrutiny, haters and cynics, and Coldplay has endured its share of detractors during the past several years. But it's safe to say that few were in attendance Saturday as the band went overboard in reaching out to its devoted fans.

Dressed in militaristic garb, the group opened with the march-like instrumental "Life in Technicolor," before a dynamic "Violet Hill," and then the propulsive "Clocks," which rode on Martin's irresistible piano riff.

The singer split his time between guitar and piano throughout the night, turning in a passionate vocal on "In My Place," while the crowd sang along. The intensity built with a roaring rendition of "Viva La Vida," which featured Champion on timpani, but the pacing proved briefly problematic as one of the night's few disappointments followed in Martin's lower octave Eastern-tinged "Yes."

Intricate and lyrically intriguing, "42," featured the sweat-drenched Martin at his best, singing with passion, before the beautifully melodic "Fix You," which also showcased some outstanding work from guitarist Buckland.

After "Strawberry Swing," the four hurried to the end of the ramp on the right side of the stage for two songs, drawing shrieks from the crowd, especially during "God Put a Smile Upon our Face."

Back on the main stage, Martin showed his unpredictable side when he stopped the relatively obscure "The Hardest Part," rather suddenly.

"I don't think that's a big enough hit to play on a Saturday night in Hartford," he said to laughter from the crowd, before leading the band into its breakthrough single "Yellow," which once again found the audience singing loudly against the surging rhythm.

After "Lost!" they retreated to play briefly in the far corner in the back of the XL Center, spinning through a strong take of "The Scientist," off of 2002's "A Rush of Blood to the Head," and the rarity "Death Will Never Conquer," which featured Champion on lead vocals.

A brief interlude followed and with Coldplay back center stage they turned up the energy and brought the concert to a powerful climax with highlights that included a drum-pounding "Politik," "Lovers in Japan," which featured the shower of confetti, and a rockin' finale "Death and All His Friends."

The night featured two opening acts, hip-hop, electronica soul collective Santogold and radio station contest winner Amanda Kaletsky. The latter was especially well received by the crowd during a five-song outing sparked by her finale "Please Forgive Me."

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/republican/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/121783413775980.xml&coll=1

yea it's definately from some classical tune. i've been trying to find out too. i remember seeing it in another thread but now i completelyy forget!

bostonsportstd, that's what i thought! thanks for confirming! i still want to figure out what it is, though...you think it's on another thread? how can we track it down?

Everyone already wrote reviews. The people in my section just made fun of Santogold's dancers, which I did agree with them were terrible and for me marred the music. The music wasn't bad, just the presentation. I saw Santogold outside her tour bus after the concert, everyone was obviously waiting for Coldplay to come out but no one even noticed it was her. Not that I said hi or anything.

Yeah, Square One was great.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Those ahole security guards wouldn't let me go down to get confetti. What's up with that.

I'm going to upload 2 videos I took and whatever non-blurry photos I have when I get home tonight.

First off, i was disappointed that we didn't get a few more songs, but i don't think it's fair to say there was no encore. They way i look at it, everything after Scientist was an encore, we just didn't get a 2nd encore. I was fully prepared for that after reading the thread on the last Toronto show, so i can't complain. Also, i didn't interpret the early ending of Hardest Part and Chris' comments the way that some others seemed to. I just thought he got bored with it and/or didn't like the way it was going in his mind and moved on. I didn't take it as a slap at the crowd for being disinterested (and he apparently did the same thing in DC last night). I really love the way the new songs come off live, so i didn't mind not hearing some of their earlier hits in the slightest. I thought it was an amazing show and i keep thinking back to all of the great moments. Nothing quite like when a band and the crowd are connected and practically playing the song together (Viva, Yellow, etc.). The ticket said no cameras, but i knew we were close to the side stage so i brought in a crappy disposable in case the security was feeling obnoxious. At least i got a few fuzzy mementos for my g/f to remember her first Coldplay show by. LOL

Coldplay4.jpg

Coldplay2b.jpg

Coldplay3b.jpg

Coldplay1.jpg

bostonsportstd, that's what i thought! thanks for confirming! i still want to figure out what it is, though...you think it's on another thread? how can we track it down?

bostonsportstd, it's gymnopedie no. 1 by eric satie! it drove me crazy, but i tracked it down! fyi. :)

IMG_4291.JPG?imgmax=512

link to the rest of the photos

I took my shots from Section 104 Rows D & E, which were the best seats I've had so far for a Coldplay concert. The left stage was right in front of us. I would have taken more nice shots if there weren't a bunch of kids high on E acting nuts in front of me and if I put the camera on a more appropriate setting. Like they need to make a "concert" mode for the camera.

I thought the concert was comparable to other Coldplay concerts I've been to, Hartford is my sixth time. Though I did enjoy the last concert tour a lot more. Hard to pick my favorite song of the night, I did pretty much freak out when Chris and Will came over towards my side. Too bad the other band members didn't come over, they do the right side a lot more. It was all good. Chris sounded sick during "Hardest Part," don't know if I'm the only one who thought that. The techno version of "GPASUYF" was unexpected and pretty cool. I thought that whole Bill O'Reilly thing was stupid and unnecessary, though I hate his guts too.

Santogold was fine, her dancers ruined the whole set. Everyone just knocked on them. I think I saw Santogold outside her bus after the show, but no one even walked up to her.