✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

09-Aug-08: Osaka - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is he lip syncing or what ?

I personally think he's singing over the top of a lead vocal backing track (again). It's not actually been that obvious live the two times I saw them (unlike the 'oohs' from the other boys at the end) so I think he slipped pretty badly with the timing considering he was being filmed for TV - but who can blame him in that crazy heat and humidity (and the rest of the show looks GREAT!!)

I also think it may be just the TV sound mix that makes it so obvious, and sure that if you were there you'd never notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aap-X9-Sg-k

The performance with Alicia Keys, sorry if it's been posted already!

Funny when Chris introduces Alicia he says: "Please welcome the most beautiful woman on the planet except my wife":D

when Chris makes such a comments he is usually funny!

i remember one of his comments on ben affleck at jimmy kimmel in US.

and i also know how alicia keys looks like,but i don't find her that beautiful anyways.:rolleyes:

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44952&page=7

well this video in this thread is not working some one kindly upload it again please????????

What's this about the headliner of Summersonic only getting a one hour slot?

I know festival headlining sets are usually scheduled to be a bit short, but that seems really unusual, especially considering the popularity of bands usually picked to headline Summersonic...

From this blog: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=120&p=4342&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

SUMMER SONIC: Coldplay's Only Festival Date in 2008 - The Definitive Report

Well, had you asked me what I thought of them a month or two ago, just before Coldplay released 'Livin La Vida Loca' (or whatever it was called), I would have told you quite firmly, 'Interesting to read about because Chris Martin seems constantly on the edge of a nervous breakdown, but too fucking boring to ever actually put on the record.'

Then they released their fourth, Brian Eno produced album. The big cheesy choruses were replaced by evokative ambiances and daring, meandering new approaches to making music (relative to their old stuff, at least). Suddnely, they relased something as musically interesting as their press presence had always suggested they could be.

And so it was with new-found confidence in their avante-garde leanings that the band headlined Summer Sonic in a way that no other band could pull off...

continued...

The show climaxed with the band being joined onstage by Alicia Keyes, who played piano on ‘Clocks’. She didn't have a microphone so just waved a lot, looking a bit lost and awe-struck. It was still very good, mind you. He introduced her on stage as ‘the most beautiful woman in the world… except for my wife.’ I'm guessing he caught a glimpse of Gwenyth stood looking disapprovingly in the wings so added that final compensatory clause as an afterthought so as to avoid martial bickering all the way home.

Against a backdrop depicting the French Romantic painting by Eugène Delacroix, ‘Liberty Leading The People’, used as the bands album artwork for ‘Viva La Vida’, they performed in costumes aping the style of French Revolutionaries, just like they've been doing on the rest of the tour - giving them a way more interesting visual edge than back in the days when they used to dress like geography teachers.

Perhaps trying to compensate for Coldplay's last festival headline slot at Fuji Rock a few years back, where Chris Martin walked out on stage and shouted 'SAYONARA!' (Japanese for 'Goodbye') after one song, the curly haired choir-boy spent a remarkable amount of the performance communicating in admirable, if often confused, Japanese. Not that anyone minded. Even if his grammar was up shit creek, all was forgiven when he broke into a section of a song by Japanese pop-juggernauts SMAP. The response was frenetic.

Early on in the set, during ‘Politik’, Martin changed the lyrics of the song to sing, ‘Sixty thousands Japanese people watching us / Let Alicia Keyes always play with us’, giving a hint of the special performance that was still to come. He also seemed to spend a lot of the performance running off the stage and through the crowd. Here's the moment his little legs got the better of him during 'Fix You':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILKuw80A8gM

Elsewhere the band performed all the songs you'd expect to hear, reflecting all stages of their career. For 'The Scientist’, all four members of the band ran into a specially constructed podium in the middle of the crowd, performing a stripped-down acoustic version of the song, followed by a harmonica enfused 'DWNC'. I got a video of that, but I can't really post it here, sorry, but if you're wiley you might find it elsewhere on the web (ssshhh!).

They even gave Tokyo a reson to dance, playing a thumping remix of talk, and a spruced-up, Wah-wah enhanced version of 'God Put A Smile Upon Your Face' that sounded like the Doctor Who theme tune.

Then, after they finished, there was a massive firework display.

Here's the setlist:

Life In Technicolour

Violet Hill

Politik

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

Chinese Sleep Chant

God Put A Smile On Your Face

Speed Of Sound

SMAP Song

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist (on podium)

DWNC (on podium)

Talk Remix

Clocks (with Alicia Keyes)

Lovers In Japan

Death and All His Friends

The Escapist

All in all: bloody bootiful!

The Scientist + Death Will Never Conquer + Talk (Remix):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWrCod3Xups

at 5:52

"This is our drummer Will Champion. He's 30 years old, He likes football and tennis, and going to the cinema, so he's a regular guy... but ya know what he does? He sings like a fucking angel."

omg so true, and also I <3 chris :kiss:

What's this about the headliner of Summersonic only getting a one hour slot?

I know festival headlining sets are usually scheduled to be a bit short, but that seems really unusual, especially considering the popularity of bands usually picked to headline Summersonic...

That's nothing, fakfak. At River Rave in Boston (My first Coldplay show way back in '01) AEROSMITH had to cut their set to 4 songs so that the headliner, Marolyn Manson could do his hour before the 11pm noise by-law kicked in. I don't mind Manson, but this is Aerosmith we're talking about!:o

I personally think he's singing over the top of a lead vocal backing track (again). It's not actually been that obvious live the two times I saw them (unlike the 'oohs' from the other boys at the end) so I think he slipped pretty badly with the timing considering he was being filmed for TV - but who can blame him in that crazy heat and humidity (and the rest of the show looks GREAT!!)

I also think it may be just the TV sound mix that makes it so obvious, and sure that if you were there you'd never notice.

I think he is. But I don't think it's something that's happening at every show, I've watched loads of YouTube footage of the tour and it has always been completely live, his voice is sounding a bit dodgy so maybe he played it because he's not very well.

"don't mind Manson, but this is Aerosmith we're talking about!:o"

...And in Boston no less!:shocked2: Jeez! Some people have no respect for great bands...

Incidently, didn't Coldplay's timeline have a bit about getting bottled at that show?:laugh3:

He was showing her what to do throughout the whole thing so they obviously hadn't practised :lol:

It was probably much smoother the following night

Did Coldplay play on Sunday? I tried to find them on the Sunday schedule, but didn't see them.

"don't mind Manson, but this is Aerosmith we're talking about!:o"

...And in Boston no less!:shocked2: Jeez! Some people have no respect for great bands...

Incidently, didn't Coldplay's timeline have a bit about getting bottled at that show?:laugh3:

Could be. THeir set was one of the first sets at River Rave, and they only played I think 7 songs since they were total unknowns with one hit back then,lol. They literally almost quit that day from the audience abuse. It's kind of a cool story, and the bootleg that goes with it is somewhere in MM.