15-Sep-2008: O2 World, Berlin - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KONZERT: Walzer und Konfettiregen

Coldplay mit perfekter Inszenierung live in Berlin

BERLIN - Sträflich unbeachtet bei großen Konzerten ist die Auswahl der Pausenmusik. 17 000 Menschen müssen während einer Dreiviertelstunde Umbaupause (zwischen dem New Yorker Garagenrocker Albert Hammond Jr. und den britischen Emotionsbomben von Coldplay) von allzu großer Unruhe abgehalten werden. Eine gute halbe Stunde servierte die Regie der geduldigen Masse in der neuen Berliner Arena am Ostbahnhof sphärisches Unterwasser-Gepling. Als die Zwangsentspannung zu nerven begann, folgte ein Track HipHop zum Aufwachen, um dann in den Donauwalzer überzugehen. Und siehe: Tief unten begannen zwei Männer in der Masse miteinander zu walzern, und das gar nicht einmal schlecht. Nahtlos ging es dann von Johann Strauß über zu Eugène Delacroix und Chris Martin. Delacroix’ Gemälde mit der entblößten Brust der Freiheit, das einst auf dem Hundert-Franc-Schein prangte, ziert nun das Cover des aktuellen Coldplay-Albums „Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends“. In der Arena stürmt die Freiheit von der Leinwand der Hinterbühne an Chris Martin vorbei ins Publikum.

Die 17 000 werden sofort und verlässlich mit Hits bedient: Martin und seine Kollegen servieren hintereinander „Life In Technicolor“, „Violet Hill“, „Clocks“ und „God Put A Smile Upon My Face“. Gemischte Mitsing-Hits, die ihre Wirkung nicht verfehlen. Auf einer Treppe im Unterrang stehen Vater und Sohn, beide klatschen heftig im Takt und suchen den anderen dabei zu übertreffen. Chris Martin rast über die Bühne und die Rampen, als wolle er Mick Jagger den Hyperaktivitäts-Weltmeistertitel wegnehmen. Er kann aber auch mal für einen halben Song runterschalten und mit Piano am Bühnenrand in der Riesenhalle Club-Atmosphäre schaffen.

Für zwei Songs, darunter „The Scientist“ ziehen sich die vier Musiker dann gar auf die andere Hallenseite zurück und spielen mit Mundharmonika und Schellen akustisch. Die Halle tobt, dann rast die Band zurück und lässt es mit „Politik“ wieder krachen. Alles eingeübt, alles routiniert – alles perfekt. Am Ende, bei „Lovers In Japan“ regnet farbiges Konfetti wie Kirschblüten von der Decke. Volle Romantikdosis. Seufz. (jps)

http://www.maerkischeallgemeine.de/cms/beitrag/11309968/63369/Coldplay_mit_perfekter_Inszenierung_live_in_Berlin_Walzer.html

[translation by Word 2003]

CONCERT: Tome and Konfettiregen

Coldplay with perfect production live in Berlin

BERLIN - culpable unconsidered with large concerts is the selection of the tracing music. 17,000 humans must during one three-quarter hour of change break (between the New Yorker Garagenrocker Albert Hammond Jr. and the British emotion bombs from Coldplay) from all too large unrest to be held. A good half hour served the direction of the patient mass into the new citizens of Berlin arena underwater Gepling spherical at the east station. When the obligation relaxation began to nerves, a TRACK HipHop followed for waking up, in order to then change over into the Danube tome. And see: Right at the bottom two men in the mass began that with one another to tomes, and once not at all badly. Smoothly it went then from Johann bunch over to Eugène Delacroix and Chris Martin. Delacroix' painting with the exposed chest of the liberty, which prangte once on the hundred-franc light, ziert now the Cover of the current Coldplay album „Viva La Vida Or Death and universe His Friends “. In the arena the liberty of the canvas of the Hinterbühne at Chris Martin storms past in the public. The 17,000 is served immediately and reliably with hits: Martin and its colleagues serve one behind the other „would run in Technicolor “, „Violet Hill “, „Clocks “and „God PUT A Smile Upon My Face “. Mixed Mitsing hits, which do not miss their effect. On stairs in the Unterrang father and son, both stand applaud violently in the clock and seek the other one at it to exceed. Chris Martin races over the stage and the ramps, as if he wants to take the hyperactivity world champion title from Mick Jagger away. It can in addition, times for a half Song down-switched and with Piano at the edge of stage in giant-resounds club atmosphere to create. For two Songs, among them „The Scientist “withdraw themselves the four musicians then to the other resounding side and play with harmonica and clips acoustically. Those resounds raves, then those races to volume back and lets it with „politics “again crack. Everything learned, everything experienced - everything perfectly. At the end, with „Lovers in Japan “colored Konfetti rains such as Kirschblüten of the cover. Full romance dose. Sigh. (jps)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx8uQT1OZCM]Clocks - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnM5JFC18lo]42 - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOb0K6XBMM]Death And All His Friends - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV0Fdn9QX9s]Cemeteries Of London - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TvDOUO7GjM]Lovers In Japan - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwtkEZu9ihE]In My Place - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWX3iXkRLGs]Politik - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn0vnqiY_VM]Fix You - Coldplay in Berlin[/ame]

For those who are interested, here I’d like to add my two cents about the concert…

My journey started at 10am and after changing the high speed ICE trains in Bremen and Hannover I arrived at Berlin Hauptbahnhof at 2pm. I used the S-Bahn to my hotel and checked in before I left my room at 3.15pm and used the S5 to Ostbahnhof. At Tiergarten station a musician came in with his guitar and played Ralph Mc Tell’s “Streets Of London”. He was amazing and I hoped he’d play a Coldplay song either, but unfortunately he left 2 stations later. First I was very tired from Hamburg, but when the musician came in I felt very excited again. I texted Sarah and Felix and we met in front of this amazing new O2 world next to the Eastside Gallery. Just 2 days ago Metallica inaugurated the arena with an amazing concert I read in a newspaper.

The entrance was a lot better as they had many gates around the arena so there was enough time to go back to the train station to buy cheeseburgers. :D There weren’t many supporters in front of the arena until 5.30pm. So typical for Berlin!!! The security was very friendly and we were allowed to enter the arena at 6.15pm I believe. I managed to get a good position in the 4th or 5th row, Sarah and Felix decided to stand in front of the right side stage though. Then I was waiting and waiting. Sadly there was no one to talk with as everyone around me was either Dutch or Polish lol.

At 8.15pm Albert Hammond Jr. entered the stage and this time I was more pleased with his performance. I recognized the other members who I met in Hamburg afterwards. When they finished 3 drunken Polish “fans” suddenly appeared and they were so rude and aggressive, touching other girls, screaming the whole time etc. I didn’t know what to do. Should I stay here in the face of danger that they will ruin my concert, should I go back to Sarah and Felix or should I try to get a different position?! Mercifully they seemed to have some technical problems above all of us so there was enough time to change the position. I was standing next to the left side stage when the concert began.

First I listened to Jay-Z again and everyone around me went nuts. It was crazy. I felt that this time the crowd was a lot better than in Hamburg yesterday. The Viennese Waltz followed and for a moment I thought I would be somewhere in Austria lol. Then lights went out and Coldplay entered the stage with “Life In Technicolor” followed by “Violet Hill”, “Clocks”, “In My Place”, “Speed Of Sound”, “Cemeteries Of London”, “Chinese Sleep Chant” and “42”. Until here it was the same set list in Hamburg, but I enjoyed every single second. Chris tried to speak German after “Clocks” which was amazing. He said he failed all German exams at school and therefore he apologizes for his German. The next songs were “42” and “Fix You” which was probably the first highlight tonight. Everyone seemed to know the lyrics. I was so glad the audience was so much better than yesterday. Then it was time for “Strawberry Swing” before the band went to the right side stage to play the techno versions of “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” and “Talk”. I had no clue which song should have followed and suddenly Chris played “Trouble”!!! I couldn’t believe it. I wished they’d play more songs of Parachutes or any old b-sides and now Chris was playing Trouble on his piano. So I called Kara, but wasn’t sure if she was able to hear it with her mobile phone. I could have killed Chris when he suddenly stopped to play. He said “Fuck this” and continued with “The Hardest Part”. WHYYYYY???

“Postcards From Far Away” followed when Chris said the atmosphere will change rapidly in a few seconds. “Viva La Vida” began! Wow, what a song! It’s my favorite song of “VLVODAAHF” and I couldn’t believe that Will recently mentioned in an interview this song shouldn’t be on the album first. During “Lost!” Chris suddenly appeared next to Guy and started hitting the timpani drum. It was sooo funny! The band left the stage to come back somewhere in the last corner of the arena to play an acoustic version of “The Scientist”. After that it was time for Will and his song “Death Will Never Conquer”. Then the first break and we all listened to this “Viva La Vida Remix”. I’m so in love with it. Anyone knows exactly this version? After a short while Coldplay came back on stage with “Politik” before Chris played a snippet of “Yes”. Argh they didn’t play it in Hamburg either.

Then I prepared myself for “Lovers In Japan”, because I know this would be the climax again. Damn, the Japenese clips in the background, the butterflies, everything’s just perfect!!! At this time an Italian girl next to me began to cry. Awww that was too sweet. After “Lovers In Japan” it was time for “Death And All Of his Friends” before they did a last break and ended with “Yellow”. When I listened to “The Escapist” I knew it was definitely over. This time it was very emotional for me, because I know it hass been my last concert.

I went to the merchandise in the main hall, but I think prices there were an unbounded cheek. Let’s changed the $-sign with the €-sign and nobody will notice it. Not with me!!! Simple shirts for 30€ - horrible – the tour guide I really wanted to buy for 20€. Common that’s not fair!

So I left the arena without any souvenirs where I met Sarah and Felix. Outside the O2 world I spotted the Irish singer Rea Garvey of the German band Reamonn. We decided not trying to stalk again for Coldplay, because it was extremely cold and we were all very exhausted. That’s why we decided to go back to the Ostbahnhof and later on Sarah and Felix left the S-Bahn at Alexanderplatz. I became thirsty so I left the train at Zoologischer Garten and went to my favorite Irish Pub in Berlin for a beer. I was back in my room at 1am and spent an additional day in Berlin before taking the train back home at 5.45pm next day.

Altogether I have to say that the concert in Berlin was better than the one in Hamburg, although my position was worse. The logistics at the entrance was great, the crowd more emotional and I think the band had a better day as well. But I can’t decide whether Berlin or Oberhausen in 2005 was my favorite Coldplay concert ever. It needs some time I believe.

I think it’s also legal to pass some criticism on Coldplay. First I think the tickets were too expensive. Don’t know if it’s because they are more mainstream than before or perhaps due to the stage setting. For me it’s also a pity that they concerts are usually not longer than 90 minutes. They have so many incredible songs (Parachutes? AROBTTH?), but instead they only play very short songs like “Death Will Never Conquer” or only snippets of “Yes” and “Trouble”. Not to mention the merchandise at last. As already written above everything’s extremely expensive. But I also noticed some positive aspects. First it’s great that the band tries to get closer to their fans with side stages and an acoustic performance somewhere in the back of the arenas. Chris is also more communicative than 3 years before. I like how he tries to speak French, German, Spanish, whatever.

Thanks to everyone for these two great days! :)

When they finished 3 drunken Polish “fans” suddenly appeared and they were so rude and aggressive, touching other girls, screaming the whole time etc.

He-he, so you stay near me and my friends. But with LIT they suddenly shut up and be quiet - one of them sang most of the songs. It was good because i really want swear with them.

But I can’t decide whether Berlin or Oberhausen in 2005 was my favorite Coldplay concert ever. It needs some time I believe.

So at least they was on the same level? We had planed to go to Berlin in 2005, but we can't and waiting 3 years. With every day i think this concert in O2 was one of the best things in my life.

And of course i might add - Chris have extremely thin sense of humour - i laughing all show. In the end of 4th track (In My Place) i was completely wet - some girls looked at me like a nuts:)

He-he, so you stay near me and my friends. But with LIT they suddenly shut up and be quiet - one of them sang most of the songs. It was good because i really want swear with them.

God, they were annoying! Very loud and agressive and when someone asked them to shut up they used the famous Polish word "k****". :angry: I thought they wouldn't stop so I decided to find another position. Good for you they became quiet.

So at least they was on the same level? We had planed to go to Berlin in 2005, but we can't and waiting 3 years. With every day i think this concert in O2 was one of the best things in my life.

It's too early for me to decide whether Berlin or Oberhausen was better. I think this one in Berlin wasn't as emotional as expected. Can't really say why. I only got goosebumps when Chris began with "Trouble". But sure it was an incredible concert, no doubt!

God, they were annoying! Very loud and agressive and when someone asked them to shut up they used the famous Polish word "k****". :angry: I thought they wouldn't stop so I decided to find another position. Good for you they became quiet.

Aha. The funniest thing - at Fix You one guy is going to scene throw us, he was rude and stupid, and stay in front of this polish - we listen spoiled Fix You and then catapulted guy back:)

I think this one in Berlin wasn't as emotional as expected.

I think it's effect of "first impression" - on my second concert of Coldplay i would think the same as you;)

^same here. BUT i had tears in my eyes during the first four songs, hehe...

i guess it wasn't that emotional because the show was a lot bigger than in 2005. with all those colours and everything...

When i was dreaming about concert i thought i will cry on Scientist - but it was so positive and fun:) Emotional too but it was light emotion, not sad. Light emotions could be strong as sad, and that's good thing i suppose.

I think it's effect of "first impression" - on my second concert of Coldplay i would think the same as you;)

That could be a reason perhaps. Oberhausen was my first Coldplay concert.

^same here. BUT i had tears in my eyes during the first four songs, hehe...

i guess it wasn't that emotional because the show was a lot bigger than in 2005. with all those colours and everything...

I agree! Sometimes I think most of Coldplay's songs are not suitable for big arenas. They do have so called stadium songs, sure! But if they had played in a little club (like back to the roots) I think I would have got tears in my eyes while Chris was playing "Trouble". Perhaps the guys became too commercial, I don't know.

Larry, great review!

Too bad that the merchandising is so damn expensive :confused:

Oh, and good that you changed position. A crying girl is far more better than rude, drunk guys.

Thanks very much and I agree with the crying Italian girl. It was so sweet. :nice:

I nearly bought the tour book, but when I asked for the price and the girl said 20€ I was like WTF? I spent so much money for Coldplay only to see them in Hamburg and Berlin so I thought it was enough right now. Just changing the $-sign with a €-sign is nothing but a rip-off IMO. :(

some of my videos... ;)

[ame=http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=I0401XObRCQ]In My Place[/ame]

[ame=http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=FTVwK5Ui6gQ]God Put A Smile Upon Your Face & Talk[/ame]

[ame=http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=P28KeLwaHJ4]Trouble & The Hardest Part[/ame]

^thx so much for sharing, especially the last one! finally someone posted the end of the hardest part, that was so so funny! i'm tina turner, ahaha ^^ great sound on that one :)

oh and btw, you might have seen felix and me - we were right in front of the sidestage, hehe ;)