✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

26-Nov-2008: Jobing.com Arena, Phoenix, AZ - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the show was amazing, and I do agree that they all seemed tired, and as though their hearts weren't in it. In fact, for the second encore, I was expecting a second song, but just before they finished Yellow, Chris walked over to Jonny, said something then came back to the mic to say something like...'this is emotional for us, this being our last show in the US, we hope you'll let us come back next year..." so that was the end of the show. I am sure Chris asked Jonny if he wanted to do the second song, and they decided not to.

The show was great, perfect technically, and every song sounded amazing. I was most impressed with Cemeteries Over London leading into Chinese Sleep Chant. The piano interlude at the end of Politik was amazing...classical and a little dark. Showed Chris' versatility of talent, his genius. I love these guys for so many reasons, and that's one of the main reason I love Chris.

The crowd left alot to be desired concerning the excitement factor. I was very disappointed, as I know the band's mood reflects the crowd's... so, I partially blame the crowd for Coldplay's lack of energy. I had a floor seat, and was sandwiched between people who gave me weird looks for singing and dancing. I was a little pissed that I couldn't cut loose for my favorite band, due to the exasperated looks I got from my lazy "neighbors". Also, after the group song up in the stands, the crowd didn't hold up phones like other crowds had ( Roadie 42 had mentioned how impressive that was for the band in a few blogs...they even showed a video on the globes of other crowds doing it.)

The first time I saw Coldplay in 2005 was amazing, and it was that performance, and Chris' energy that put me over the top as a fan. The second show I saw was in Denver in '06. They had just come back from doing an award's show in London, and they all had jet lag. I remember Chris was laying all over the stage that show, and barely did any chatting and joking. This Phoenix show being their last in the US, on the heels of the AMAs, and anticipating going home, again their energy wasn't great. It's a personal disappointment, as with both shows, I drove over 7 hours to see them, spent over $100 for floor seats, and the magic of the first show hasn't been there. It would be a dream to see them in some wonderful place like London or Paris, but I am considering not spending the time and money to do this whole road trip to see them again. I mean, don't get me wrong...I am fortunate to have seen them, and I do love them very much, they will always be my favorite band....just saying, as Ben Affleck says in "Surviving Christmas", "I'm feeling a little ripped off right now!" Hahaha

Thanks to those of you who posted pics and videos. They are great!

Soooo.... back to better reviews!

xo

Hola!

This was my first coldplay show ever and it was amazing!! My brother drove about 7 hours and it was worth it! although I agree with Yeshe that the crowd wasn´t that excited, but for us it was amazing!!

I uploaded some pix here:

Coldplay Phoenix '08

Thanks everybody for the pix/videos :D

Obstacles greet plan to see Coldplay show

The plan was simple: go to Phoenix on Wednesday to visit friends and go to the Coldplay concert that night.

Insert joke from "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" here.

The plan quickly unraveled.

I'd received approval from Coldplay's people to get a photo pass to shoot a few songs and review the show that included El Paso band Sleepercar as the opener.

Only problem was my camera battery died. Four stores later and I finally found the battery. Things would go smoothly now right? Nope.

As I was getting ready for the drive Wednesday morning, I noticed my left front tire was a little low. Put air in the tire and off I went. By the Texas Canyon rest stop in Arizona, the tire was 2 to 3 inches from being on the rim. I managed to put air in the tire and hobbled my way to Casa Grande, where I had a new tire put on.

Two hours and $75 later, I was back on the road just in time for speed enforcement zones every 20 miles, which caused traffic to slow to a crawl. I arrived at the arena with a few minutes to spare to catch Sleepercar.

Will call, of course, could not find the tickets and photo pass. Eventually, I was told to go to the administration office and try my luck there. After several minutes, they found the tickets and photo pass under a different name. I

walked into the arena in time to see Sleepercar leave the stage.

Two bottles of water, even at $5 each, were gonna hit the spot. The concessions people took the tops away because you just know someone who buys $5 water wants to throw that bottle at someone right away. An empty bottle can't possibly be tossed if it doesn't have a cap on it either. I spilled some water on my walk to my seat.

A little over an hour later Coldplay took the stage for the North American closer to their "Viva La Vida" tour.

I wish I could say I had a good view of the band, but truth be told, from my seats stage left/rear and near the top of the first section I mostly just saw their profiles and badonkadonks.

Without being able to get a good view of the band, I watched other people nearby, like the guy who made hip-thrusting motions during "Viva La Vida," earning a slap from his girlfriend, while two women in the row in front of me danced sexily to the pep-talky song "Fix You."

Guys, if anyone ever gives you crap for liking Coldplay or wanting to see them live in concert (i.e., they repeat the line from "The 40-Year-Old Virgin"), tell them you're going for the women because, trust me, beautiful women love Coldplay and tend to attend the shows with friends.

With everything that happened in relation to the show, I can only sum it up with the border saying "asi es la ------ vida."

http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_11096829

Asi es la vida (A Coldplay Review)

Innovation is hard to come by in the music industry, especially when it comes to concert tours.

Someone, usually the Rolling Stones or U2, has always done it before. Several aspects of Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" concert in Glendale, Ariz. Nov. 26 were quite familiar because the concert had a definite U2 feel to it.

A bit of singer Chris Martin's stage presence seems borrowed from U2's Bono, such as the little jump-hop-skip combined with an arm thrust into the air he’d do.

The two ramp thrusters that came out from the left and right parts of the front of the stage were a way for Coldplay to get closer to the audience on the floor and in the first level of stands.

During the fourth song, "In My Place," Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckwald faced off with each other in a mini-battle before Martin dropped to his knees to sing the song's final lyrics.

Hmmm, this looks exactly like what U2's Bono and The Edge did during

"Until the End of the World" on 2001's "Elevation Tour." Well, Bono overacted his demise when he did it.

And instead of the stage thrusters just stopping after about 15-20 feet or so, U2 made a heart-shaped catwalk that enveloped part of the audience on the floor during the 2001 tour and a similar catwalk for 2005’s “Vertigo Tour.” It’s a big commitment to do such a catwalk because just like a model on a catwalk, you gotta work it. It can’t be there just to look at.

Just like U2 and even the Foo Fighters on their last tour, Coldplay had a second stage they performed on. Coldplay’s second stage was at the end of one of the stage thrusters with a floor lit up like a disco floor. The quartet squeezed onto the small stage to play techno versions of “God Put A Smile On Your Face” and “Talk” before Martin stayed on the stage alone to perform beautiful versions of “The Hardest Part” and “Postcards from Far Away” solo on his piano.

Coldplay separated themselves from other bands with the third stage they set up in the arena. After a powerful version of “Lost,” the band left the stage, walked across the floor (the crowd on the floor surged toward them) and up to the top of the first level for a two-song acoustic set.

Martin joked that if people had bought cheap seats near them to be far away from the band, he was sorry he ruined their night. Martin then said it was time to get serious before they played “The Scientist” with Buckwald, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion all on acoustic guitar.

Next, Champion took over lead vocals for the b-side “Death Will Never Conquer.” The acoustic guitars gave it a country feel, but the song also sounded like a hymn that would fit right in on Sunday mornings in church. A gospel choir joining Coldplay on the song on stage would bring the house down. Feel free to use that idea boys on the stadium tour next year.

The third stage in the audience give U2 and other bands something to top, if they’re brave enough.

While Coldplay’s stage show has definite similarities to other bands’ shows, the band’s music — especially songs on the latest CD, “Viva La Vida,” — set them apart.

The theme of the night was a celebration of life most notably seen in “Viva La Vida.” Sure, the lyrics are about a king who’s lost his kingdom, apparently centuries ago, but that doesn’t really matter as the music just soars and takes the audience singing along.

“Lovers in Japan” was the unofficial end to the party (even though it wasn’t the last song of the night) with its four shots of confetti that were shot out from the rigging above the audience. Confetti, especially butterfly-shaped confetti, just scream it’s a party.

After shooting the first three songs from upclose, I went to my seats to the side/rear of the stage, at the top of the first level. Seeing mostly profiles and posteriors of the band, except when Martin did his interesting dancing or played his piano, I really couldn’t see the band’s faces. Well, I could look at the screens or on the songs where they were used, the oversized light bulbs that doubled as projection screens, but the shots were usually so tight on their faces that you couldn’t see the musicianship as if you were able to see the stage properly. The disadvantages of this are obviously not being able to take in the whole show. The advantages of it are I focused on listening to the music more and was able to focus on audience reaction to the songs.

Even though it was the last concert of a long North American tour, Martin's voice held up remarkably well. There were a couple of times it got lost in the mix, but his voice never gave out.

Martin said in a recent Rolling Stone interview that the band is playing the best they ever have live in concert. He said they're not quite up to Pearl Jam's level and he's right on that. Pearl Jam aren't just tight, they also signficantly vary the setlist night after night. Coldplay play pretty much the same setlist every night.

But that's OK when you have as many hits as Coldplay does.

Ladies in the crowd loved the songs and danced or swayed to much of the set. I did find it odd, yet beautiful, when two pretty women in the row in front of me danced sexily to “Fix You.” The sing-along song, built on lyrics of a promise to help out someone dear to you are heartwrenching and sincere, not exactly the song you’d imagine someone would grind to.

Martin not-so subtley reminded the audience of the song’s meaning by stumbling around the stage and pretending to be punched in the face and continuing on.

Women weren’t the only ones dancing. A guy sitting a few rows in front of me decided to live la vida loca during “Viva La Vida” by thrusting his hips (complete with coordinated arm motion) to the rhythm of the strings in the song. The Beavis in me laughed, even though the guy’s gyrations earned him a slap on the arm by his girlfriend.

Coldplay showed different sides of what that band can be. You want sensitive rock? Here’s “Fix You,” “The Scientist,” and “Yellow” for you. You want country songs? Here’s “Strawberry Swing” and “Death Will Never Conquer.” They even have techno for you with “God Put a Smile On Your Face” and “Talk.”

As nice as it is to hear the different sides of the band, it might be even more interesting to see them perform their whole set in a country style or techno style just to shake things up.

Of course, if rumors of the band’s imminent breakup or Martin’s retirement are to believed, then that all goes out the window.

Although, Champion fronting a country band with Buckwald would be worth seeing.

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/concert/2008/11/asi-es-la-ida-a-coldpla-reie.html

During the fourth song, "In My Place," Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckwald faced off with each other in a mini-battle before Martin dropped to his knees to sing the song's final lyrics.

to get serious before they played “The Scientist” withBuckwald, bassist Guy

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/concert/2008/11/asi-es-la-ida-a-coldpla-reie.html

:veryangry2:

I'm surprised he spelled Jonny correctly:dozey:

This was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Awesome!!!

My wife and I made the trip down from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Well worth it!!

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Still holding out hope they will come back to Edmonton or Calgary.

Nice photo and video uploads everyone.

Cheers

• 6 years later...

I was at the end of the runway (STAGE) front row with my girl. Never can describe how good these seats were or how Chris & company played 5 songs within a arms reach of us. The bouncers allowed us to actually put our hands on the front of the stage while not allowing others to rush the area. Chris handed me his guitar pick after closing, that I gave to my girl and she still treasures it to this day (I even use it as my FB photo). I have seen many concerts but have to say that this one tops my list. I am sorry to hear about the "playlist" that Chris handed your way. I think I would have taken it from her. Never to be forgotten #VIVALAVIDA Nov 2008 Jobing.com Arena

Updating my photo album and came across the site. Thought I would check out and see if there were photos from the show i was at and there was... Thought I would add my 2 cents. Guess it goes to show, how good the concert was. Happy New Year to you!

There's more on the Coldplaying.com gallery but 2008 is still in progress. I may be able to give you a preview so give me a PM if your interested.

I just wish they would make another stop in Arizona. I can't blame them for not wanting to come to the US when they can play any where they want. I just watched the live performance in Australia again. The outdoor venues are with out a doubt, epic. If I had the funds, I would love to travel and be a part of something that will be legendary. Do you know of any up coming special events? I guess I need to do my own research. I have to say, I am honored to have at least got to see the VIVA tour. I put that show up with the likes of when I saw Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody" tour in Chicago in 1973-74. Freddie Mercury was such a great performer. Have you ever had the chance to see them? Where have you seen Coldplay? If you have time, let me know. I am interested in like minds on classic concerts.