✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Being Considered For Headline Slot At Glastonbury 2009

busybeeburns

as does a certain someone........

I'll give you one guess

True, but neither Chris nor Gwyneth cover themselves in "bling" and show themselves off all the time like Jay-Z and Beyonce.

Most of the time you see Chris he looks like any ordinary guy in the street, which is something I very much respect him for.

Gwyneth comes across as pretty down-to-earth too IMO.;)

I also get the impression neither of them likes being constantly in the public eye very much, and could quite happily live without it.;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread was news about COLDPLAY possibly headlining Glasto and you've managed to turn it into a Jay-Z slagfest, there's just no need!

Well there was no need to mention him in the opening story, either. That's why it happened - it wasn't completely off-topic. However, I take your point. I can just as easily slag him off elsewhere.;)

You did make one good point in that Coldplay's music unites rather than divides different generations.

However, Coldplay do not write lyrics containing loads of unnecessary swear words (unlike the likes of Jay-Z).

I don't have a problem with the odd spontaneous "f*ck" from Chris on stage. That can be pretty amusing.

Coldplay also don't go around preaching on political issues in their songs like Jay-Z does, and when Chris does mention things like Fair Trade, he does it in a positive way.;)

If Coldplay started singing "F*ck this" and "F*ck that" in their songs, I'd probably turn off them too, as it's completely unnecessary IMO.

Yes, music can be just as equally a uniting force as a divisive one. Either way it's uniquely powerful. It's interesting that you miss the irony Jay-Z's performance seems to have united almost everyone in praise.

In your book it's OK for Chris Martin to roll out a carefully-rehearsed profanity in response to a mess-up (that was also probably just as carefully rehearsed) just to seem a little 'edgy' and get a cheer, but Jay-Z shouldn't swear in his songs? Ummm...OK.

Also, remember that Chris grew up in an environment where that language was only spoken out of parental earshot. In contrast, in the place where Jay-Z grew up that language would have peppered almost any sentence. Or do you think only middle-class British acts should be allowed at Glastonbury now??!

As for the politics; rock music (and arguably music in general) is fundamentally political. Coldplay are in a position to overtly influence millions of people around the world (a la Bono) and I respect that - for them it obviously HAS to be almost all about the music for it to work for them. But I have even more respect for people who do use their position to fight for what they think is right, and if that's what Jay-Z did then good for him.

And btw you might like to avoid seeing Coldplay live on this tour. They have a video for Violet Hill they're also using at their gigs, with Bush and Blair (and other members of the present carnival of idiots) on show. You'd better lie low. If you'd hate that, please don't post, you know?!

Exactly! :lol: He also has some bling friends. :P

We get it, you don't like him. Now just leave the subject alone.

This thread was news about COLDPLAY possibly headlining Glasto and you've managed to turn it into a Jay-Z slagfest, there's just no need!

Soooo, back to the topic, I think there is absolutely no way Radiohead would agree to headline the same festival as Coldplay were. It's one or the other.

Brilliant post and well said! :)

Yes, music can be just as equally a uniting force as a divisive one. Either way it's uniquely powerful. It's interesting that you miss the irony Jay-Z's performance seems to have united almost everyone in praise.

In your book it's OK for Chris Martin to roll out a carefully-rehearsed profanity in response to a mess-up (that was also probably just as carefully rehearsed) just to seem a little 'edgy' and get a cheer, but Jay-Z shouldn't swear in his songs? Ummm...OK.

I'm sure he's only swearing in his songs to earn himself yet more "bling". It's become just another gimmick.;)

Also, remember that Chris grew up in an environment where that language was only spoken out of parental earshot. In contrast, in the place where Jay-Z grew up that language would have peppered almost any sentence. Or do you think only middle-class British acts should be allowed at Glastonbury now??!

Oasis weren't from a middle-class background, and neither were the likes of Buddy Guy and Eddy Grant. I don't have a problem with any of them.;)

As for the politics; rock music (and arguably music in general) is fundamentally political. Coldplay are in a position to overtly influence millions of people around the world (a la Bono) and I respect that - for them it obviously HAS to be almost all about the music for it to work for them. But I have even more respect for people who do use their position to fight for what they think is right, and if that's what Jay-Z did then good for him.

Still probably another gimmick pandering to a certain demographic who find that kind of thing "entertaining".;)

And btw you might like to avoid seeing Coldplay live on this tour. They have a video for Violet Hill they're also using at their gigs, with Bush and Blair (and other members of the present carnival of idiots) on show. You'd better lie low. If you'd hate that, please don't post, you know?!

I shall reserve judgement until I actually see it. However, any video material would still be subtle compared to writing lyrics like "F*ck Bush". I don't believe Violet Hill contains anything like that.

Soooo, back to the topic, I think there is absolutely no way Radiohead would agree to headline the same festival as Coldplay were. It's one or the other.

Well hey, if it's all in the name of raising funds for charity, then I think it would be a good idea....Although some of us are going to be caught in the middle of the ever-ongoing Radiohead vs. Coldplay debate (I sure as hell would be :dozey:).

Actually no, scratch that. Radiohead vs. Muse! For real. :laugh3:

LoL aside from furied debates, having both bands booked in the festival lineup at the same year would require much more time and effort into the festival for the organizers (though I assume it shouldn't be impossible to handle for them...).

Oh whatever. I say have them go for it! Plus, I might be studying abroad over in the UK next summer.

TAAAKE THE RIIIISK!! :smug:

Sigh. I think I'm winning a very slow battle against someone that many other people have long since given up on, but I'm a stickler for a lost cause (and more fool me, in this particular case??!) I thought you were very young from all the posts of yours I'd read m_c - so needlessly negative, brief to the point of being nonsensical, and often trying to tear a thread away from its topic (and repeatedly so, no matter how much it upset other people, and those of us who are slightly older on this forum have to remember that there are a lot of kids here). But now I think you're older. Your reasoning seems quite advanced, despite the actual content of your posts, and albeit desperately flawed. So how old are you?

I see no empathy in your posts. No wonder at the amazing universe we are lucky enough to inhabit. I'd like to know why you like Coldplay, and why you post so much at Coldplaying.com?

Sigh. I think I'm winning a very slow battle against someone that many other people have long since given up on, but I'm a stickler for a lost cause (and more fool me, in this particular case??!) I thought you were very young from all the posts of yours I'd read m_c - so needlessly negative, brief to the point of being nonsensical, and often trying to tear a thread away from its topic (and repeatedly so, no matter how much it upset other people, and those of us who are slightly older on this forum have to remember that there are a lot of kids here). But now I think you're older. Your reasoning seems quite advanced, despite the actual content of your posts, and albeit desperately flawed.

What's really "desperately flawed" is Jay-Z's attempt to appeal to the masses.;)

I see no empathy in your posts. No wonder at the amazing universe we are lucky enough to inhabit. I'd like to know why you like Coldplay, and why you post so much at Coldplaying.com?

That's an easy one to answer. Because Coldplay are the greatest band in the world, of course.;)

Well hey, if it's all in the name of raising funds for charity, then I think it would be a good idea....Although some of us are going to be caught in the middle of the ever-ongoing Radiohead vs. Coldplay debate (I sure as hell would be :dozey:).

Actually no, scratch that. Radiohead vs. Muse! For real. :laugh3:

:smug:

That's what I find really pathetic. This completely pointless and ludicrous war between Coldplay and Radiohead fans.

I'm not a big fan of Radiohead's music, but I can still appreciate and respect it as well-conceived and crafted music, created for music's sake, and not just for "show".

I can see absolutely no reason why Coldplay and Radiohead couldn't both appear at Glastonbury, or any other festival for that matter.;)

What's really "desperately flawed" is Jay-Z's attempt to appeal to the masses.;)

That's an easy one to answer. Because Coldplay are the greatest band in the world, of course.;)

Thanks for replying. Your 'cute' one liners, your ridiculous 'winkies' when there is nothing to be winked about, and your empty replies give you away yet again, but I'm more than prepared to enter into a debate with you (on a thread when it's not off-topic and upsetting others, as you very well know) so please feel free to start one for our discussion. I'll be there in a flash.

Otherwise please feel free to PM me. You have some sort of problem that the mods are obviously not confident enough to address. I'd be glad to help you, seriously, just get in touch :)

That's what I find really pathetic. This completely pointless and ludicrous war between Coldplay and Radiohead fans.

I'm not a big fan of Radiohead's music, but I can still appreciate and respect it as well-conceived and crafted music, created for music's sake, and not just for "show".

I can see absolutely no reason why Coldplay and Radiohead couldn't both appear at Glastonbury, or any other festival for that matter.;)

Dude, now I am 110% sure you're taking the piss. :laugh3: :dozey:

Did something happen to your eye, btw? The right one seems to always be shut.

Ahh whatever, that's none of my business. In fact, I have other things to choose to focus my attention towards with my time.

Thanks for replying. Your 'cute' one liners, your ridiculous 'winkies' when there is nothing to be winked about, and your empty replies give you away yet again, but I'm more than prepared to enter into a debate with you (on a thread when it's not off-topic and upsetting others, as you very well know) so please feel free to start one for our discussion. I'll be there in a flash.

There's nothing to discuss. I've made it perfectly clear what I think about Jay-Z's performance at Glastonbury. ;)

I could create an anti-Jay-Z thread, but I don't see what it would achieve.

Dude, now I am 110% sure you're taking the piss. :laugh3: :dozey:

Why? Coldplay and Radiohead are cut from the same cloth musically-speaking.

So what's the big problem? All the mutual hatred is completely unnecessary.

If anything, the two bands should be standing united against all the awful manufactured pop cr*p and bling rap out there.;)

There's nothing to discuss. I've made it perfectly clear what I think about Jay-Z's performance at Glastonbury. ;)

You did that in your first post here, so why are you STILL here espousing the same point (and still ruining the thread for others?)?

I could create an anti-Jay-Z thread, but I don't see what it would achieve.

Well do so, please, and be gone.

Because you keep arguing about it? I was merely responding to your points, that's all.;)

Oh dear.

My points you ignore. No surprise, really. I'm sure they're uncomfortable for you.

You are a troll. I didn't like to think so, gave you a chance, have spent far too much of my time waiting for you to redeem yourself in some small way. But back on 'ignore' he goes. Over 30,000 posts full of negativity and hatred??

Oh dear.

Look given the events of the past few days I would have thought that turning this thread into one massive argument would be something that people would want to avoid.

We have an ignore feature, as you all know, please use it, if you find it hard to tolerate another user.

I'm all for a healthy debate but this has strayed beyond that now and is totally off topic too.

Look given the events of the past few days I would have thought that turning this thread into one massive argument would be something that people would want to avoid.

I never have arguments, just healthy discussions (which I've already tried to take into another thread btw). If there's a 'massive argument' here shouldn't the admins or mods be sorting that out (And God knows I wish they would!!)

We have an ignore feature, as you all know, please use it, if you find it hard to tolerate another user.

I used ignore for this particular member for a very long time, but felt I had to undo it and see (and reply to) what was upsetting people, as the mods and admin weren't doing what they're supposed to (sorry to say). Aren't threads on this board supposed to stay on track? Aren't you used you dealing with trolls???

I'm all for a healthy debate but this has strayed beyond that now and is totally off topic too.

Very glad someone said that at last :)

I never have arguments

That's exactly what you have been doing - and what's more, you made it personal. I was merely cricising Jay-Z's poor performance and the decision to let him headline. ;)

I'm entitled to that opinion, but have to concede the discussion had gone off topic. I was prepared to let it go until you stuck your snout in.

I used ignore for this particular member for a very long time, but felt I had to undo it and see (and reply to) what was upsetting people, as the mods and admin weren't doing what they're supposed to (sorry to say). Aren't threads on this board supposed to stay on track? Aren't you used you dealing with trolls???

:)

You're the only troll on here. Get a life.:rolleyes:

I never have arguments, just healthy discussions (which I've already tried to take into another thread btw). If there's a 'massive argument' here shouldn't the admins or mods be sorting that out (And God knows I wish they would!!)

Very glad someone said that at last :)

Excuse me? I'm sorry but we do exactly what we're supposed to!

This isn't a babysitting service it's a public board, if you can't get on with someone there's nothing we can do but point you in the direction of the ignore feature.

A troll isn't just someone who disagrees with you! And if someone hasn't broken any rules they're not going to be punished however rude you are in the report

This isn't a babysitting service it's a public board, if you can't get on with someone there's nothing we can do but point you in the direction of the ignore feature.

A troll isn't just someone who disagrees with you! And if someone hasn't broken any rules they're not going to be punished however rude you are in the report

Thanks very much for that. Respect! His comments were completely out-of-order

and he has no right to criticise mods unfairly like that, especially when he is intent on "generalising" - plus he was the one who started getting personal.

He should have left his "ignore" button on.

You have said this thread has gone off-topic and I totally accept that.

There is another thread about Jay-Z now anyway, and I am more than happy to post any further comments in there.;)

I'm old enough not to need a babysitting service thanks, I just thought this board might have similar ideas about trying to facilitate healthy debate free from repeated one-liners that APPEAR simply to provoke and upset others, and take threads off topic, that many other sites on the net do now (after years of trial and error). If you speak for this forum Mimi, that's obviously not the case, and I can only put this guy on block like many other members have, and have advised me to do, and rue that Coldplaying.com's not as well-run as it should be.

About my supposedly rude report - would you mind please speaking to me privately about that? I have no idea what that is, but would love to know what you're on about. Was it where I reported our friend for continually posting one line rs designed purely to offend and upset?

Thanks very much for that. Respect! His comments were completely out-of-order

and he has no right to criticise mods unfairly like that, especially when he is intent on "generalising" - plus he was the one who started getting personal.

He should have left his "ignore" button on.

You have said this thread has gone off-topic and I totally accept that.

There is another thread about Jay-Z now anyway, and I am more than happy to post any further comments in there.;)

Don't worry the ignore's back on soon (if I choose to stick around here) so I don't have to read any more of your prejudiced comments about short people or our black brothers. The mod tried (with emphasis on the 'tried') to warn you off posting off-topic on here, and you ignored it. I got deeper, into how you were needlessly and deliberately upsetting others (the definition of a troll on other sites), and she chose to back you for some bizarre reason.

So, you win in the medium term, and perhaps even the long term. Let's see. Who knows?!!

Well that's your opinion but I stand by my post.

I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Thanks for your consideration at least Mimi.

So who should I get in touch with over this, Ian?

(I'm still waiting for that private message about my 'rude' report by the way)

But peace, always :)