✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Being Considered For Headline Slot At Glastonbury 2009

busybeeburns

They weren't tired - they were bored out of their pants.;)

If Coldplay had been on stage nobody would have felt tired. That's the difference.;)

All right I've had enough. Get over with it. We all know by now that you don't like Jay-Z. No need to be so daft by deliberately twisting words and everyone's heads around.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right I've had enough. Get over with it. We all know by now that you don't like Jay-Z. No need to be so daft by deliberately twisting words and everyone's heads around.

Well I do think he's extremely overrated, and obsessed with image and "bling" as most of these big-name rappers are.

I have no problem with him performing at Glasto - there are lots of singers and bands who appear there that I can take or leave.

Just shouldn't have been topping the bill on the main stage, that's all. It was an anti-climax.;)

The bits I saw of Jay-Z looked brilliant, even though it's not my cup of tea (it's not even my cup of hot water!)

I'd say Coldplay are very likely headliners for the next festival, depending on whether or not it fits into their own plans to conquer the world, and that's the debatable part.

The bits I saw of Jay-Z looked brilliant, even though it's not my cup of tea (it's not even my cup of hot water!)

He's not even my cup of cold water!!:rolleyes:

I generally like uplifting music, and what he does most certainly isn't that, however well he might have performed.

I'd say Coldplay are very likely headliners for the next festival, depending on whether or not it fits into their own plans to conquer the world, and that's the debatable part.

Sorry to get off topic here, but kimchi baka, that quote you have about confetti, did chris actually say that after the mtv performance?

Sorry to get off topic here, but kimchi baka, that quote you have about confetti, did chris actually say that after the mtv performance?

No my friend, that quote is by me after my miraculous attendance at both the Brixton and BBC gigs :)

Mark, why don't you do everyone a favour and shut up now? You force your opinions on people way too much. and you weren't even THERE.

Coldplay next year would be awesome. but the tickets would sell out too fast because everyone loves them :(

I enjoyed the festival being of a lower key this year.....well, with bands that were not as popular. You could tell that the festival was full of people who were laid back and not just there for the hype of the 'buzz' bands last year...

Neil Diamond was okay, average...boring....predictable.

I don't want coldplay to headline glasto again. They need to do some other festivals. And Eavis is heading the right way by pushing the boundaries. He needs to keep that up. Falling back on Coldplay is just a cop-out.

COLDPLAY SHOULD FUCKING HEADLINE T IN THE PARK AGAIN....

IT'S BEEN 6 YEARS!:angry:

Mark, why don't you do everyone a favour and shut up now? You force your opinions on people way too much. and you weren't even THERE.

Coldplay next year would be awesome. but the tickets would sell out too fast because everyone loves them :(

I enjoyed the festival being of a lower key this year.....well, with bands that were not as popular. You could tell that the festival was full of people who were laid back and not just there for the hype of the 'buzz' bands last year...

Neil Diamond was okay, average...boring....predictable.

No - Jay-Z was all those things and more.

Anti-Bush propaganda? Yawn! Never heard that before.

Using unnecessary profanity in lyrics? Ditto!

Bling and "jabbing" hand actions? Incredibly tedious.

When I scanned the crowd during Neil Diamond's set I've rarely seen so many smiling faces.

When I scanned the front section of the crowd during Jay-Z's set most people looked like they were on valium!!:dozey:

I don't want coldplay to headline glasto again. They need to do some other festivals. And Eavis is heading the right way by pushing the boundaries. He needs to keep that up. Falling back on Coldplay is just a cop-out.

COLDPLAY SHOULD FUCKING HEADLINE T IN THE PARK AGAIN....

IT'S BEEN 6 YEARS!:angry:

Yeah, actually. I'm with you. It WOULD be boring to have Coldplay headline again.

Its so good to give other bands a chance.

I can assure you that all the people I saw watching Neil Diamond were bored as hell until he played his most famous songs. *yawn*

No - Jay-Z was all those things and more.

Anti-Bush propaganda? Yawn! Never heard that before.

Using unnecessary profanity in lyrics? Ditto!

Bling and "jabbing" hand actions? Incredibly tedious.

When I scanned the crowd during Neil Diamond's set I've rarely seen so many smiling faces.

When I scanned the front section of the crowd during Jay-Z's set most people looked like they were on valium!!:dozey:

Dude, you are really letting this Jay-Z thing affect your life far far too much. Just let it go - you'll be happier for it.

Yeah, actually. I'm with you. It WOULD be boring to have Coldplay headline again.

Its so good to give other bands a chance.

I can assure you that all the people I saw watching Neil Diamond were bored as hell until he played his most famous songs. *yawn*

Well at least he has famous songs that you want to sing along to. Big difference.;)

Jay-Z can only dream of creating uplifting songs like "I'm A Believer" and "Sweet Caroline" that have still got people singing 40 years later.

I very much doubt anyone will still be singing along to any of his propagandist material in 40 years' time!!;)

And this isn't about Neil Diamond per se. I'm not a big fan of his or anything like that.;)

I think the main thing setting us apart here is quite obviously age. You are against anything and everything that might be slightly out of the ordinary. You only harp on about radio friendly music, that never ventures over any kind of boundaries. Fair enough if you like that kind of music....that's your thing.

I just don't see why you can't accept that music can change and be different.

Jay Z has famous songs that you can sing along to by the way. He has the younger generations' support for sure, which may be why you hate him and his music.

I think the main thing setting us apart here is quite obviously age. You are against anything and everything that might be slightly out of the ordinary. You only harp on about radio friendly music, that never ventures over any kind of boundaries. Fair enough if you like that kind of music....that's your thing.

Jay Z has famous songs that you can sing along to by the way. He has the younger generations' support for sure, which may be why you hate him and his music.

Welcome back Kara!! It's great to hear you had an awesome time and loved Jay-Z - the overwhelming reaction seems to have been that he was an unqualified success. He's not my cup of tea as I said before, but I think it's brilliant that Glastonbury took such a risk. I thought that was the whole original spirit of the festival, after all.

It's interesting you mention the age thing about mc_squared. Is he particularly young or old (I had guessed he might be a young-un)? Some music can unite all ages in life, and that is one thing Coldplay do I think - I was at my Aunt's birthday last weekend and a lot of the 70-somethings were like 'oh I really like Coldplay, why do they get such bad press?!'

I understand Jay-Z's profanity amongst other things might very well divide the audience, but my Dad seemed to quite enjoy watching it on the TV. But I'm astounded that anyone who abhors unnecessary profanity or political statements in music and/or at gigs is (a) interested in Coldplay, and (b) into modern music at all!!

Has nothing to do with it at all. I like a lot of upfront club (dance music) - but I only want to hear that where it's meant to be (i.e. in a club).

Anyway, you can't argue Jay-Z is innovative, because he's gone all mainstream, "bling" and commercial.

In other words, he's "sold out", which is the only reason Glasto asked him to headline in the first place.

If Glasto is really intent on pushing the boundaries, they should have someone like Dizzy Rascal headlining.

At least he's cutting-edge (not that he's my scene at all).

Jay-Z only caters for the middle-class "bling" brigade. He even has a "showbiz" wife for Pete's sake!!:dozey:

Welcome back Kara!! It's great to hear you had an awesome time and loved Jay-Z - the overwhelming reaction seems to have been that he was an unqualified success. He's not my cup of tea as I said before, but I think it's brilliant that Glastonbury took such a risk. I thought that was the whole original spirit of the festival, after all.

It's interesting you mention the age thing about mc_squared. Is he particularly young or old (I had guessed he might be a young-un)? Some music can unite all ages in life, and that is one thing Coldplay do I think - I was at my Aunt's birthday last weekend and a lot of the 70-somethings were like 'oh I really like Coldplay, why do they get such bad press?!'

I understand Jay-Z's profanity amongst other things might very well divide the audience, but my Dad seemed to quite enjoy watching it on the TV. But I'm astounded that anyone who abhors unnecessary profanity or political statements in music and/or at gigs is (a) interested in Coldplay, and (b) into modern music at all!!

You did make one good point in that Coldplay's music unites rather than divides different generations.

However, Coldplay do not write lyrics containing loads of unnecessary swear words (unlike the likes of Jay-Z).

I don't have a problem with the odd spontaneous "f*ck" from Chris on stage. That can be pretty amusing.

Coldplay also don't go around preaching on political issues in their songs like Jay-Z does, and when Chris does mention things like Fair Trade, he does it in a positive way.;)

If Coldplay started singing "F*ck this" and "F*ck that" in their songs, I'd probably turn off them too, as it's completely unnecessary IMO.

as does a certain someone........

I'll give you one guess

Exactly! :lol: He also has some bling friends. :P

If you don't like Jay-Z then don't listen to him, don't watch him but let these people share their opinions on how much they enjoyed Jay-Z's performance in peace, without having you jumping on everything they say.

If someone is slagging off someone you like you're the first person to tell them to stop causing trouble. We get it, you don't like him. Now just leave the subject alone.

This thread was news about COLDPLAY possibly headlining Glasto and you've managed to turn it into a Jay-Z slagfest, there's just no need!

Soooo, back to the topic, I think there is absolutely no way Radiohead would agree to headline the same festival as Coldplay were. It's one or the other.