✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hitler still hated

Pseudonym

BERLIN (Reuters) - A man tore the head from a controversial waxwork figure of Adolf Hitler on the opening day of Berlin's Madame Tussauds museum Saturday, police said.

b?P=yFAhdEWTcuombTlOR4sJjQRbGAKWd0hwC.MABMSf&T=1ac6mu50b%2fX%3d1215302627%2fE%3d7666457%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2773581604%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJtYW47cG9saWNlO3NlY3VyaXR5O2l0O21hcDtJdDtidXNpbmVzcztKZXdpc2g7cmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20iIHJlZnVybD0icmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20iIHRvcGljcz0icmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20i%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d68719345&U=13fs3oqv2%2fN%3dItZ1WULEYpU-%2fC%3d624381.12816774.13093657.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5010741%2fV%3d1

Just minutes after the museum opened, the 41-year-old German man pushed aside two security men guarding the figure before ripping off the head in protest at the exhibit, a police spokesman said. The police were alerted and arrested the man.

The waxwork figure of a glum-looking Adolf Hitler in a mock bunker during the last days of his life was criticized as being in bad taste. A media preview of the new branch of Madame Tussauds Thursday was overshadowed by a row over the exhibit.

Critics said it was inappropriate to display the Nazi dictator, who started World War Two and ordered the extermination of Europe's Jews, in a museum alongside celebrities, pop stars, world statesmen and sporting heroes.

Dressed in a grey suit, the figure of Hitler gazed downwards with a despondent stare, his arm outstretched on a large wooden table with a map of Europe on the wall of his gloomy bunker.

About 25 workers spent about four months on the waxwork, using more than 2,000 pictures and pieces of archive material and also guided by a model of the "Fuehrer" in the London branch of Madame Tussauds where he is standing upright.

It is illegal in Germany to show Nazi symbols and art glorifying Hitler and the exhibit was cordoned off to stop visitors posing with him.

Unobtrusive signs asked visitors to refrain from taking photos or posing with Hitler "out of respect for the millions of people who died during World War Two." Camera surveillance and museum officials were meant to stop inappropriate behavior.

Institutions such as the foundation for Germany's central Holocaust memorial site condemned the idea of the exhibit as tasteless, saying it had been included to generate business.

The wax figure is the latest in a gradual breaking down of taboos about Hitler in Germany more than 60 years after the end of the war and the Holocaust in which some six million Jews were killed.

The 2004 film "Downfall" provoked controversy as it portrayed the leader in a human light during the last days of his life and last year a satire about Hitler by Swiss-born Jewish director Dani Levy was released in Germany.

(Reporting by Paul Carrel and Sabine Ehrhardt; editing by Philippa Fletcher)

That was stupid and immature. It's also silly that the Germans still have those laws. Personally I'd love to know who all the neo-nazis are! That way you can ostracize them more easily. :D

what?You find it stupid that we have the law not to glorify Nazi symbols?

Of course he is still hated. And 'hate' is a strong word although for dictators such as him, I am more than happy to make an exception.

I agree that their shouldn't be a wax figure of him up. What's the point? :thinking: I'm sure they wouldn't intend it to glorify him in any way, but it will to some extent. Even people who despise the man may pose to take pics with him etc, ugh, there is no sense it in at all :dozey:

I admit he was a great and powerful leader (and really, he was terrific in that respect), though that isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you know despite all the great things he did for Germany, he did millions more bad, roughly 6 million.

I don't know why to mention the few good things about Hitler!

This bastard is responsible for the fact that I often feel ashamed of being German, although I wasn't born in that era. Even my parents weren't born and my grandma was about 6. Not an age to have a mind of one's own, eh?!

And the worst thing for me is that I will always be faced with the dark side of German history 'til the end of my life and I'm just fed up with it.

exactly. he did a lot for the germans, that's probably why they blindly trusted him. But this is a weak weak excuse for these horrible things he has done.

Propaganda works, people wern't exactly the most diplomic back in the 1930's. Hitler could have happened anywhere really, i'm suprised it hasn't happened more often pre holocaust.

I won't give my two cents but I want to say if this is going to turn into a serious debate thread lets rememeber a few things:

1. Keep it tasteful

2. Respect others' opinions and beliefs

3. Be fair

4. Give everyone a chance to speak their mind

5. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS

Please continue, your thoughts are very important.:)