✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is Anyone Else...

utdoug

disappointed with the new CD?

I think AROBTTH is one of the best CDs of all time, and I absolutely adored Coldplay before X&Y. After X&Y's release I began to lose faith fast, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt... it was their 3rd CD and only bad one of the bunch (we wont go into why X&Y sucked so much because if you don't know then I'm not really interested in discussing music with you anyway).

Now with VLV etc. I think they have gone the wrong direction again. The new CD will be their most popular obviously, but because it is undoubtedly pop, and over-produced. Not to mention, Chris' lyrics are atrocious in this album

"you might be a big fish in a little pond/ doesn't mean you've won/ because along may come a bigger one"

"those who are dead are not dead/ they're just living in my head" (wow that was painful to type even)

I think Chris does an amazing job, but his bad just isn't talented enough to interpret the songs he writes. Jonny is a crap guitarist, and Will is trying so desperately trying not to be a drummer (but he is and needs to accept it), and Guy is just... Guy.

The CD comes off sounding like they've just tried too hard. With the unneeded "bonus track" in the middle and end and the incredibly annoying fact they decided to call it Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, it seems as if Coldplay is trying really hard to be innovative, but have sold out to be just another brit pop band.

I've written this here because I used to be THE BIGGEST coldplay fan of them all... you all are my bretheren so dont flame me just because I have a differing opinion...

Discuss.

I think Chris does an amazing job, but his bad just isn't talented enough to interpret the songs he writes. Jonny is a crap guitarist, and Will is trying so desperately trying not to be a drummer (but he is and needs to accept it), and Guy is just... Guy.

This paragraph alone will cause a reaction. For instance, to say Jonny is a crap guitarist without backing it up, well, your opinion is only valid to me if you back it up with some kind of evidence which you haven't. No offence but you've just vented in a somewhat close-minded way and for that I see no point discussing it further. :dozey:

Okay, first Id like to warn you there will be a lot of personal attacks at you pretty soon. They are horrible and shouldnt be used, but get used to it if youre gonna bash Coldplay.

I disagree with almost everything you said. I actually loved all the lyrics (except CSC:confused:) and I think Jonny is a great guitarist. I dont fully get what you meant about Will, and you're right, Guy is Guy.

Anyway get ready for some harsh criticism, and dont stoop to their level by attacking back please. We dont need any Coldplaying wars.

Happy to meetcha!

as per starskay's request... jonny is a crap guitarist because the accompaniment/lead that, i assume, he writes is simplistic and bland. i understand there is beauty in simplicity (that's my original argument to why I love AROBTTH), but there is also an element of musicianship that should express itself in the form of technical difficulty. think of it this way... chris could sit down and make mary had a little lamb sound beautiful... but he could also play Beethoven's 9th and it would blow us all off our feet.

get my drift with jonny? simple parts. appropriate at times. but is not "helping the cause" if coldplay are trying to be a forward thinking band.

"you might be a big fish in a little pond/ doesn't mean you've won/ because along may come a bigger one"

"those who are dead are not dead/ they're just living in my head" (wow that was painful to type even)

These are two of the absolute weakest tracks on the album. That said its still the same band that also had weak lyrics in 'Spies' and 'In My Place' . Chris hasn't yet risen to the next level lyrically but its still loads BETTER then X+Y which had flaws on every track.

Now that said, I think this is their best album. While its not a ROCK album its multi-layered, cohesive, consistant, and has the best flow on any album they've ever put out. Will steps out as an amazing drummer with all the new world rhythms added. It feels like a much more finished album then the rest and more mature.

AROBTTH is a great album but Viva just takes it to the next level.

I do worry about what this album will translate to on tour. They've added so many new parts and have seemed to go with pre-recorded backing rather than add a keyboardists, violinists, or background vocalists. Based on what I've seen I'm not sure if it will work well or if they are one step away from Mili Vanilli.

What is it about these lyrics that you dislike? Can you relate to them? How would you have worded those sentiments?

Will is trying so desperately trying not to be a drummer (but he is and needs to accept it)

I don't understand what you mean by this either - you don't like the drums on this album? There is drumming on it, and it was done by Will, therefore he has done his job as a drummer right?

it seems as if Coldplay is trying really hard to be innovative, but have sold out to be just another brit pop band.

I don't agree with the Brit Pop thing at all - Brit Pop died a long time ago, and Viva isn't anything like what Brit Pop was/is at all, is it?

These are two of the absolute weakest tracks on the album. That said its still the same band that also had weak lyrics in 'Spies' and 'In My Place' . Chris hasn't yet risen to the next level lyrically but its still loads BETTER then X+Y which had flaws on every track.

Now that said, I think this is their best album. While its not a ROCK album its multi-layered, cohesive, consistant, and has the best flow on any album they've ever put out. Will steps out as an amazing drummer with all the new world rhythms added. It feels like a much more finished album then the rest and more mature.

AROBTTH is a great album but Viva just takes it to the next level.

I do worry about what this album will translate to on tour. They've added so many new parts and have seemed to go with pre-recorded backing rather than add a keyboardists, violinists, or background vocalists. Based on what I've seen I'm not sure if it will work well or if they are one step away from Mili Vanilli.

i agree with you in everything except that viva is the better album. i agree it flows a lot better, and though it isnt conceptual... it definitely has a good feel. the reason i prefer the one over the other is simply the use of more traditional instruments (im a bit of a purist).

i completely agree with your take on how they will interpret these songs live. what makes radiohead such a great band is that they can somehow reproduce or rework their songs for a live environment... i wonder if coldplay is talented enough to accomplish the same.

PS the only reason i said will is trying so hard not to be a drummer is just because all those pictures of him in the album art playing the acoustic... a bit of a low blow i realize :)

Keep in mind that Will actually has a lot of musical ability. He wasn't always the drummer for Coldplay, he assumed that role. I think he was fully able to play guitar before Parachutes and appears to be branching out now to do more. There's a lot of additional drums sounds on this album and I'm not sure how many of these are additional loops added or how many are done in a live environment. I'm curious to know and see how that's done reproduced live.

I see that if you were a purist (guitar, bass, drums) that like more rock version of Colplay that AROBTTH would be the natural choice (likely The Oasis's fan's choice i would guess). What I like about Viva is that it has a very international feel. I think having a Spanish painter's painting of the French Revolution indicates how its going to journey in a lot of directions. I can't blame Coldplay who was so involved with Make Trade and African and South american tour to pick up and want to add these elements to their music especially with Eno's help. Talking Heads were always adding African rythms to their music and I think its natural he would push this type of sound.

Radiohead will always feel more mature and more adventerous but then again I love how Coldplay always addresses serious issues and do them in a positive tone and don't layer on the bullsh*t. It takes a lot of listening to grasp and enjoy Radiohead and its a great payoff when you do. I don't need Coldplay to make dark indie music like them. I want them to make interesting music that changes every album and matures but contains the same positive tone. They've definitely accomplished that. Its still Coldplay but its 2.0 version.

Coldplay I don't think will ever be known as great inventors but as great compilers. They clearly take love lots of different types of music and nick pieces of them and incorporate them into great new songs that still have familar elements. That may get them into some trouble with purists who think albums still can be ground breaking in a sound way but there's very little directions that haven't been tried. Viva has a lot less songs that directly sound like other's material which is one of its best attributes. That's why I think 42 is one of the weaker songs. To me it sounds like (Coldplay doing Imagine, into Hail to the Thief Radiohead, into part 3 and then ends to quickly) Its one of the few derivative tracks that clearly shows what they were listening to. Lyrics like:

"you might be a big fish in a little pond/ doesn't mean you've won/ because along may come a bigger one"just lack imagination and maturity. Its too simplistic not to stick out.

Even Radiohead hasn't really gained new ground since Kid A but In Rainbows incorporates a bit of all their albums in a way that's a lot lighter and guitar heavy then anything THEY've done before. So I'm not sure if bands to day can really break new ground (music thats never been done before) but they can do it on an INDVIDUAL level. I think Coldplay have clearly broken the chains that used to restrict their songwriting. Its refreshing.

1) Chris's Lirycs are amazing and only You can not understand them obviously 99% of people like their new album so it can't be called crap and i won't talk about his vocal abilities

2) Will is multi talented and about him being Drummer only is shit statement again ...

3) Johnny is a Guitarist Which perfectly fits to such a amazing group like coldplay is

4) here you are right Guy is Guy

They together make Perfect Band which is beloved all over the world and new album is gonna lead charts very soon

it is sometimes important to walk with the other way otherwise it's getting boring so they started something " new " (i mean Viva La Vida)

and if you don't like the new Album you can create your own forum to criticize it because

ALL YOU DO HERE IS PROVOKE ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO REALLY LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS COLDPLAY MUSIC

Guys if your idea of having a Coldplay forum is to not allow any critique of the band and personally attack anyone who does then that's hardly free speech or acceptable behavior. He's not trolling, he's putting his own opinion forth, correct or not. Explain what you see wrong with his statements and explain why. Putting stuff in caps and yelling incoherently is not discussing or debating but simply looks foolish. If you can't handle alternate opinions then get off the internet.

Guys if your idea of having a Coldplay forum is to not allow any critique of the band and personally attack anyone who does then that's hardly free speech or acceptable behavior. He's not trolling, he's putting his own opinion forth, correct or not. Explain what you see wrong with his statements and explain why. Putting stuff in caps and yelling incoherently is not discussing or debating but simply looks foolish. If you can't handle alternate opinions then get off the internet.

i will explain Why it is not allowed

because here are alot of Coldplay Supporters which are getting provoked with Senseless Crap and anti propaganda of Viva La Vida .......

Speak for yourself, unless you are a moderator, please don't take the "law" into your own hands. utdog simply created a discussion topic. Saying he dosen't have a right to make a critique of a particular album because "Coldplay fans are tired of taking crap" is not your job to get in his face about it.

He's hardly a troll and I think you're getting into hysterics simply because someone dosen't agree with your own point of view. If you don't like the thread don't read or reply in it. There's loads of threads here in this forum that deal only in Coldplay in a positive way. Don't insist that any member here should be banished or be silenced because you don't agree with them....

I don't agree with a lot of what he said but you can have a discussion with people you don't agree with and both gain something from the interaction.

*pulls up seat*

In terms of free speech and all that rubbish, people are allowed to come on here to say they are disappointed in the new album as it is virtually impossible for an artist to make an album which will keep everybody in the entire world happy, however where it is allowed it isn't the brightest idea as you will get the CSLB (Coldplay Super-Lovers Brigade) ripping you into pieces.

Well, I like the changes in their music actually just as well! Their style has changed a bit, but variety is the spice of life, and there's always AROBTTH to turn to, if that's what one desires. Would the Beatles been as desirable, had they stuck to "She Loves You, Yah, Yah, Yah", and hadn't developed new, interesting styles of music?? Plus, let's put ourselves in their shoes. Constantly performing on stage, playing the same song set night after night. I'd be ready to try new music out as well!!:)

(we wont go into why X&Y sucked so much because if you don't know then I'm not really interested in discussing music with you anyway).

:dozey:

Now look, no one says you have to like X&Y. Hate it to its individual digital bits if you like. But this makes it sound like you think everyone who likes it is stupid. You can be cruel, but try to be fair, too.

That said, the rest of your first post isn't very fair, either, though it at least doesn't attack whoever's reading it. You hate the lyrics for reasons you seem to think are obvious (they're not), dislike the band's abilities in vague ways ("Jonny is a crap guitarist", "Guy is just... Guy"), and even complain about the bonus tracks and the name of the album itself, as if the name affects its quality somehow.

I wouldn't say you're being irrational (though you can bet someone will), but you're miles from being objective.

On the lighter side, at least you're not this guy:

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH UTDOUG....I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING THESE COLDPLAY BLOW HARDS BEND OVER FOR ANYTHING THIS BAND PRODUCES

:thinking:

Speak for yourself, unless you are a moderator, please don't take the "law" into your own hands. utdog simply created a discussion topic. Saying he dosen't have a right to make a critique of a particular album because "Coldplay fans are tired of taking crap" is not your job to get in his face about it.

He's hardly a troll and I think you're getting into hysterics simply because someone dosen't agree with your own point of view. If you don't like the thread don't read or reply in it. There's loads of threads here in this forum that deal only in Coldplay in a positive way. Don't insist that any member here should be banished or be silenced because you don't agree with them....

I don't agree with a lot of what he said but you can have a discussion with people you don't agree with and both gain something from the interaction.

he is allowed to do it unless he knows the results to create non peacefull atmosphere in forum which he already did for me.

Sometimes rules allow something but it isn't right or am i wrong ?

Its a discussion forum where people discuss their opinions. I'd much rather have a post like the opening one where the post comes across as thought out after a few listens, than some of the ones we had the day of the album leak (they were proper trolls!). Its not a generic Coldplay are rubbish post but a post saying that one fan doesn't like Viva as much as some of the others. It's possible to have a sensible debate about it without having to resort to insults, antagonism and bad feeling.

disappointed with the new CD?
nope, I love it :)

I think AROBTTH is one of the best CDs of all time, and I absolutely adored Coldplay before X&Y. After X&Y's release I began to lose faith fast, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt... it was their 3rd CD and only bad one of the bunch (we wont go into why X&Y sucked so much because if you don't know then I'm not really interested in discussing music with you anyway).
X&Y didn't quite do it for me, but having heard Viva, I like it even less now. Up til X&Y, AROBTTH would have been my favourite album as there are so many songs on there that hit different spots for me. Plus I have a soft spot for it because my fav song of all time, Clocks, is on there.

Now with VLV etc. I think they have gone the wrong direction again. The new CD will be their most popular obviously, but because it is undoubtedly pop, and over-produced. Not to mention, Chris' lyrics are atrocious in this album

maybe that's why I like Viva so much, I always have been a fan of cheesy pop :P having said that, it still doesn't feel that poppy to me

that's one of my favourite lyrics on the album. I like the simplicty &sentiment of it, and if I'd have had that at the times my Grandpa and Nan died, I think it would have helped me a little. When my Nan died, I ended up turning to the Tibetan Book of Living & Dying, but it didn't quite help. That one phrase makes so much sense to me and gives me a calmer feeling about the whole thing.

I've written this here because I used to be THE BIGGEST coldplay fan of them all... you all are my bretheren so dont flame me just because I have a differing opinion...

can't think of a way to say this without sounding really condescending, but the post comes across as well thought out and I don't think you deserve flaming.

Its a discussion forum where people discuss their opinions. I'd much rather have a post like the opening one where the post comes across as thought out after a few listens, than some of the ones we had the day of the album leak (they were proper trolls!). Its not a generic Coldplay are rubbish post but a post saying that one fan doesn't like Viva as much as some of the others. It's possible to have a sensible debate about it without having to resort to insults, antagonism and bad feeling.

as you want to think ... but criticism about love of what the forum is created is wrong for me .... as you wish

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree with the Brit Pop thing at all - Brit Pop died a long time ago, and Viva isn't anything like what Brit Pop was/is at all, is it?

Sorry, I was going to type a response to the original post in this thread but I thought I had better highlight this. Britpop is certainly NOT dead forever....I mean sure, Blur and Oasis were the main Britpoppers, but the Arctic Monkeys certainly aren't doing the Britpop image any harm...

Okay, now wait a minute, I'll formulate a response to the original post... :P