✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

4 September 2014 / submitted by Jeroen, Belgium

Q. How did Jonny get his hands on his Boss DD-5 Digital Delay pedals? Because apparently you can't buy them anymore?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt's back: We got his when they were still making them, I think. You'll probably need to go on eBay* now, I'm afraid.

*Other auction sites - or similar - are available.

4 September 2014 / submitted by Steven, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

I'm curious if J orders his guitars custom, buys them in random shops, or perhaps a mixture of both?

Thanks!

PS - Love the video for magic.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt: Yeah, a big mixture. You said it!

Q. Dear Oracle,

I got a copy of Roadie's book a couple of days ago at last! :-) I was looking forward to see some photos Guy had taken. There are some people who contributed to the photo section in the book in addition to Guy and I don't know which photos he took. Could you please give me a clue?

I think I may have seen photos he took but just don't know they were taken by him. I am trying hard to imagine how he would capture what he sees through the lense if I were him. THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I felt it only right that Matt McGinn's last question to conclude the week of answering Qs about Jonny should be about his Roadie book.

Matt:

Cheers for getting the book. Hope you like it. Well, basically, if the rest of the band are in a photo but Guy isn't (like maybe the helicopter one) there's a good chance it was him that took it. I honestly don't remember though, and that's the truth. Other people, like Roadie 42, Penny Howle and others, kindly let me use their stuff too. The cover shot is by Carrie Levy.

5 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 11 September.

How can I help my older brother stop smoking? He has been smoking for about 3 years and does it moderately at home. I've told my parents and they have tried to make him stop but since he is in his twenties they can't make him do anything. I find lighters and stuff when I go into his room, but I'm too scared to do anything or confront him about it. And whenever I see those commercials with lung cancer patients... I just want to help him. Thanks. Benny, USA.

Look forward to reading your replies.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Please email your replies with TEAM ORACLE in the subject line to [email protected]

Including your twitter address may result in a follow back.

5 September 2014 / submitted by Tatiana, Indonesia

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #183

Is anything possible?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There are things in life that are out of my hands but I can honestly say that I live with a positive mental attitude that subscribes to believing that yes, anything is possible.

I tend to only set myself achievable goals. I don't set them too high. To others, they may seem out of reach - it's all relative.

I might want to have a book published, run a 3-minute mile, invent something, learn how to play guitar, run a marathon, travel the world. All currently possible (not at the same time).

However, it is possible that I could go to the moon but realistically it isn't going to happen. It's also possible I could win the lottery but I can't make that happen.

I am realistic in my capabilities and expectations.

Whatever I set out to do, I don't do it with a negative, pessimistic approach - that wouldn't get me anywhere. If I want something I go in with determination and work towards it.

Is anything possible? In theory yes, but in practice it doesn't seem to work out like that. I think we should all believe it is and strive towards making it so.

Over to you.

You aren't alone in wondering this. I often ask myself the same thing.

I know I have a dream in life, but how do I reach it? Here I am sitting outside a classroom before lecture, wondering why I'm here. Is this really what I want? Am I doing what it takes to achieve my dreams? Maybe or maybe not.

We often get caught up in the logistics of life and miss out. The world may tell you that your dream is too crazy or impossible. You can't be something without doing this or doing that. However, even though it may sound cheesy, all you have to do is believe.

The most powerful tool you have in living your dreams, is believing that you can. With enough motivation and drive, anything is possible. Sometimes you may feel like the whole world is against you and you're taking a leap of faith into a bottomless chasm, but trust me when I say that you can do it. Jeremy.

Is Anything Possible ?

I think...YES.

You might say everyone has different opportunities because of where you come from, how much money you have etc.

But I think if you really believe in yourself and if you have sth. you believe in, a dream, a goal. I think you can reach it, no matter what.

Think positive, be patient, work hard. Let time work.

I think then you are on your way that anything is possible, even if you reach your goal crabwise and yes, it

will be hard sometimes.

You have to follow what you believe in (Chris said it once). Maren.

I think mostly anything you desire in your heart is possible, but things related to science and logic, somethings cannot be possible there.

For example with a desire in your heart, I love someone in the UK who is about 4 years older than I am and is raised upon a different religion than I am (I don't believe in the religion my family has tried to raise me upon). He doesn't realise I love him, but I do. It's possible to feel a connection of love online, yes. When it comes to dreams, goals, and love anything is possible.

Now for when we talk about science and logic, somethings are not possible. Such as trying to create a flying pig, or trying to breed a cat and a plant together. It just cannot happen like that.

When I first saw the True Love video, I cried at the end. I realised the message of the video and it was very touching. When most people see the quote "Anything Is Possible" they think about goals and dreams, they don't think about science and logic. Kara.

The old jokes goes "anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door," but I think that, truly, there is more to it. Many feats thought to be impossible in the past have been proven to be possible as the people who worked long and hard broke records. A four minute mile was thought to be an impossible running time, but Roger Bannister did it in 1954. People speculated that it was impossible for man-made objects to go faster than the speed sound, but Charles Yeager shattered that barrier in 1947. Each limitation we put on ourselves may someday be laughed at as technology improves and humans rethink any task and push for it harder. Certain things are theoretically impossible, such as going faster than the speed of light, but there are conflicting theories, and who can say which is right until each is proven or disproven? Even "crazy" ideas may be proven possible some day, that the things we took for fact were misunderstood. Eric.

Perhaps.

If you want to know if you can fly or live to a million years or count all the stars in the universe then no. However, I would not count these things as the true things of worth in this world and so I believe that anything worth anything is possible.

It is possible to love, possible to feel gratitude, possible to smile and make others smile, possible to understand and learn and see and dream and possible to be happy.

Possibilities in this universe are endless, and so, if you have faith and a hint of creativity - anything is indeed, possible.

However, I deem it unhealthy to ponder these things. Instead, you should aim for what you wish to achieve and not think to much about it. The world is an amazing place and there is so much out there.

Don't be afraid to dream or reach for things once deemed too high.

Just don't forget to smile.

Paige, Australia.

Of course! Anything is possible if you just believe in it. The very example is Coldplay themselves. I mean, look at them now. I know that, including them even before, they are just these normal dudes who wish to share their music in the world. And now they did. Because I know they believed that everything is possible! Now. People look up to them and to their music. But of course not just only them. Most all people though. Including most famous ones like. Nelson Mandela or MLK they just believed in their virtues and now they made history. I mean, all I really want to say is. Nothing is really impossible in this world. Not if you have a positive outlook in life and I believed that's the secret to success! You know, it's just like when you are taking a board exams or applying for your dream job or an aspiring musician model actor etc. If you will just persevere on something or anything that you wish you want. Then anything is possible! It's just Easy to Please. Love, Shaine from Philippines. xxo

My thoughts on if anything is possible is yes. If we put our minds to it anything is possible. We sometimes forget that we live in a magical place. Anything is possible.

Love to everyone! Rosalie.

Of course anything is possible! Well, as long as you don't wait for it to come alone. If you work hard to achieve your goals you will get them. All you need to do is to trust in your strengths and recognize your weaknesses. Those are your guides to complete your plans. Moreover, your dreams should have positive feelings. The one that has more significance in my life is optimism. It keeps me looking for what I wish even in the most difficult moments. When there is optimism and hope around me anything is possible! Life is not that easy, nor that difficult. The True Love video clearly shows that. Just try your best and you'll succeed. There is a Mexican astronaut who wanted to work in the NASA and after his 12th attempt to apply for the job he was accepted. So, after this story, don't you believe anything is possible? Because I do! Best wishes, Isabel, Mexico.

I could tell you tales of wonderful things or worrying woes. I wish life to be fantastic even when it is mind numbingly normal. Even when I doubt, I must believe that anything is possible. Because if nothing was, there would be nothing. And yet, there is so much everything, we don't even know what everything is. I cannot limit my life to my self doubt and lack of understanding, or it will have been the most boring life to have lived of all. Hope is the color of life. I think it is the need for hope that makes us really ask if anything is indeed possible.

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Roald Dahl.

The answer is yes!

Branwen.

Yes, I think it is. If you really believe in something, want it so much, think of it every day and write it down, then some day it will be true. Maybe in ways you not have thought of or can't imagine. Just be honest and be yourself. Positive feelings/thoughts will make your dream/dreams come true. Be brave and go outside your comfort zone, remember you only live once. The sky is the limit.

Love, Ann-Sofie.

Yes anything is possible, as long as you keep the faith in it, don't listen to People Who don't believe in you but listen to your own heart and if it don't works the first time try it again. Got a broken time in my past, the most People don't believe in me when I was a little kid and what Hurts me the most was that my father don't got the faith in me (I was 6 years old) my mom she always believe in me and thanks to her I believe that anything is possible! Greetzz, Marianne.

Everything is possible, and not all of it may happen with you.

You can wish anything to be possible, dream it, or work towards it. Your possibilities can be endless. The law of attraction says that every positive and negative events in your life are attracted by you. Your own perspective on life and your own view of the world will bring attract similar people and life events.

If you are a realist, anything is possible, yet everything is not in your control.

If you are an optimist, anything is possible.

How do you view your world, your heart and yourself?

Everyday is filled with endless possibilities. Everyday is a new book to be written.

Best to you, Julie.

Well, I'll say yes. I'll say it because I think that believing it alone can open a world of opportunities and experiences that are hard to even dream of. Of course there are some things out of your control, and its important to accept those for what they are. But those things can be both good and bad. So why go through life without hope? Especially when what happens is tragedy. You want to put your best foot forward. So even when you do come across things that are out of your control, you know you did your part by keeping your heart open. It's the only way to heal and the only way to grow. Love, Darem.

"Anything is possible". When I first saw this, it got me thinking. Is this true ? Well, I believe it is. One should just be optimistic and do whatever it takes to achieve a dream. With great efforts and hard work, everything can be doable. I'm myself from a country where science and research are not really developed. I kept working, never gave up and now I'm doing a master of science in one of France's greatest colleges. "Nobody said it was easy", but don't surrender, don't give up on your dreams and only then, even if you don't reach your goal, you'll be glad of what you did. Of course I have other dreams, "questions of science do not speak as loud as my heart": I'm 22 and have no experience at all but I have faith in true love and Thanks to the True Love video, I'm sure that someday I'll find this one person with whom I can share my life and Coldplay's love.

It's really crazy how a band can change your life, take off all your negative thoughts and replace them with high hopes instead.

Saad, Morocco.

Thanks to all those who replied to this week's question. Remember, Team Oracle is open to anyone so if you fancy replying, click to read this week's, and send us your answer.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Millie, United Kingdom

Q. Hey Oracle,

I was just curious on who decides what songs are to be released as singles?

Thanks!

:)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's usually pretty clear which songs are going to be singles when an album is delivered. The first and second singles especially. The 3rd (and beyond if there are to be more) is discussed between band, management and record label. It's not a decision that's taken lightly but sometimes, as I say, it's obvious.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Heather, United Kingdom

Q. Hello Oracle! Nowadays everybody seems to have a smart phone. People seem attached at the hip to technology. Do you think that it is tragic that humans are now watching concerts through their cellphones and should be living in the moment, or do you think capturing the moment is special? Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I wouldn't use the word tragic but I hate standing with my view blocked by someone waving their phone - or worse - an iPad in my eyeline.

It's a double-edged sword because there are some great clips of gigs that I wasn't at but can watch or relive if I was there. The same goes for photos. However, it's all about balance and moderation.

I subscribe to the school of Prince, Kate Bush et al. who ask people to refrain from using their phones as cameras and indeed have security patrolling to put a stop to anyone that does. It's disrespectful to breach those wishes but I can totally understand why many want to take photos/videos.

Let's face it, most people aren't watching the gigs with their eyes, but watching with their screens. They are fewer great footage clips than the plethora of absolutely diabolical quality ones that nobody will want to watch.

I totally want to enjoy the show and experience it for real. Technology is a sign of the times and a memento of a gig is great but I think it's down to the artist's wishes and the audience's judgement.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Ryan, United Kingdom

Q. Almighty Oracle !

I was looking to get into playing bass & was wondering what is Guy's preferred bass ? I was sifting through posts but couldn't find anything so help would be appreciated greatly.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I'm not au fait with Guy's current bass preferences but if you're just starting out, this may help. His first proper bass when the band were signed was a Rickenbacker 4001. You can see it in the Shiver video and it was used throughout the early touring days.

Another early one was a Fender Squier Precision bass (with sunburst finish) and he also had Guild SG-style that you can see in the In My Place video. It was never used during touring though.

During the Viva La Vida recording sessions he played a Jag bass.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Katherine , United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle,

This is the first time I am writing to you but I am so awaiting your response. I am studying music and I always look'' beyond'' songs, videos meaning ''how it is made''. I have question regarding video A Sky Full of Stars that I love btw. In the minute 1:13 Chris is joining the rest of the band, then they play together, after that he walks away and the rest of the band left behind turns their left, then in the minute 2:40 they meet again but Jonny, Guy and Will come from Chris'... RIGHT. In my opinion this is the mistake in video making. You may hate me for that but although I love the video that outside scenery does not match studio recording that can he hear in the song but car's honks and people screaming gives us great impression that the music is actually played! My love to all the band! Ps. I regret I did not manage to purchase ticket for Royal Albert Hall as the photos are marvelous.

Regards

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Firstly, bands do not play live in their music videos; they play along to the backing track. Music videos do not have to match the studio recording and the atmosphere would have been lost if they'd have edited out the street sounds.

Secondly, not that it's a video that relies on its continuity to tell a story, I'm not sure I can agree with your theory. We can't see where the rest of the band go after they first play together. They may be out of shot but I assume they are walking down the same road as Chris in the same direction but reach their destination quicker and wait for Chris. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Carlos, Ecuador

Q. Coldplay has a song to tell someone that you miss her and his name?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Warning Sign was the first song that came to mind - it includes the line: 'When the truth is, I miss you'. You can find it on A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Always In My Head from Ghost Stories is another. I'm sure there are more that even if not specifically written about missing someone, certainly fit lyrically.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Agnes, Australia

Q. Hi there! Where can I but the B-Sides to all of Coldplay's albums? I've heard quite a few of them and I think some of them are even better than their singles etc... PLEASE TELL ME!!

Agnes xxx

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I can't give you a definitive list of where to buy them (it may vary) but I can point you to the Recordings where you can see the band's discography. The B-sides are listed with the singles, you can then go forth and find them online.

10 September 2014 / submitted by Harry, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle,

Do the band ever play songs differently than on the record when on tour? For example would Chris or Jonny ever revise chords or a riff to make them simpler/easier to play in front of such big audiences? Or are they always played the exact record way? I'm very keen to know.

Diolch! Harry

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There would be no need to change any song to make them easier to play. The level of difficulty doesn't have any bearing on whether it's played live.

Midnight was one of the most difficult songs to work out how to play live, but the band did work it out and played it rather than not. It would be more likely that a song isn't played because of the vocal register (this is the main reason Yes was dropped from the setlist - it was too low).

The band do play some songs differently on tour e.g., Yellow & God Put A Smile Upon Your Face to keep the gig fresh & interesting for band and fans alike.

A little Coldplaying.com Shout out from the Mighty O!:

10 September 2014 / submitted by Maedeh, Iran

Q. You said Roadie #42 is in ASFOS video but I've never seen him so I can't recognize him. Would you help me find him in the video?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The first sighting is 31 seconds in. You can see him over Chris' left shoulder (looking at the screen, on the right under the traffic lights) behind the man with shades. He is wearing spectacles and carrying a bag over his shoulder & overtakes them.

That should be enough but if you still can't spot him, coldplaying.com have a photo.

10 September 2014 / submitted by Jordan, United States of America

Q. Was that Chris in the green shirt sitting next to Apple Designer Jony Ive at the Apple Watch Event?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Chris was in Cupertino for the event but I haven't checked where he sat or what he was wearing. I got my information from Stephen Fry via Anchorman.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Liam, Canada

Q. Hey Mr. Oracle, I was just wondering. Due to his heavy involvement (6 of 10 tracks on VLV, 10 of 14 tracks on MX, and 1 track on GS) on the more recent LPs, would I be correct in saying Davide Rossi is an unofficial member of the band?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No you would not be correct because a collaborator, producer, additional musician etc. doesn't automatically become a member of a band no matter what their involvement. Davide is the band's violin, electric violin & string arranger but he actually has his own band - Black Submarine.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Hans, Germany

Q. Is there a friendship between the Coldplay boys and the band members from Keane?

I read that Chris was a roomate of a Keane member in the college.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There have been quite a few questions already answered about the band's relationship with Keane. If you type Keane into the search field, it's probably easier if you read through the results.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Isabelle, Netherlands

Q. Hello Oracle,

I just found this video of a concert in Australia. What does Chris say at 40:18? I'd love to know that.

Isabelle, Netherlands.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Just before they play ASFOS he says, "If you are wearing a tie, now might be the time to take it off".

12 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE? As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply. ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 18 September.

I have been through a lot of depressing stuff lately, a lot has been going wrong in my life. I don't know who I am anymore, and my personality has changed for the worse. I've been really depressed. My school life is terrible, my grades are going downhill rapidly, and I don't get on with my family, I'm the odd one out. All my friends have said they hate me now, after a false rumor was spread about me. I only ever let my feelings out in my writing and drawing, as well as when I play my guitar. I love all of Coldplay's songs, they really express how I feel a lot of the time. You see, I had a boyfriend, secretly, but my parents found out about it and are preventing me from seeing him again. I didn't get to say goodbye, or even explain why I'm not talking to him, it was all so sudden. I'm scared of what he thinks of me, but I couldn't help it. I miss him a lot in my life, he was the only person who understood me. Do you have any encouraging thoughts for me? Thank you.

Aubrey, Australia.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Please email your replies with TEAM ORACLE in the subject line to [email protected]

12 September 2014 / submitted by Benny, United States of America

Q. How can I help my older brother stop smoking? He has been smoking for about 3 years and does it moderately at home. I've told my parents and they have tried to make him stop but since he is in his twenties they can't make him do anything. I find lighters and stuff when I go into his room, but I'm too scared to do anything or confront him about it. And whenever I see those commercials with lung cancer patients...

I just want to help him.

Thanks.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #184

It's a simple answer, you can't. I'm afraid that as an adult he can make his choices - good or bad for his health, notwithstanding what his family think.

As he still lives at home with your parents, I do think that what they say should count as house rules, but he could still smoke outside so it won't solve your problem.

Don't be scared to confront your brother because it's great that you care so much. Be gentle with your approach because he could likely tell you to mind your own business and be defensive about the concern mistaking it for intrusion.

I don't see anything wrong with explaining what you're worried about but don't expect any changes. Maybe in time you brother will cone to his own conclusion that smoking is bad for your health - as well as your wallet. As an ex smoker, I'm amazed anyone can afford to smoke! Finances aside, I can also tell you that like most addictions, smoking is a hard habit to break.

If he wanted to stop my answer would be very different. I truly believe the key to stopping is wanting to stop. It has to come from your brother, as I doubt he'd stop just because someone asked / told him to but hey, you never know. Better to try to talk to him and fail than not try at all.

Over to you.

I also have my experiences with smokers. Smokers smoke because of stress or because they're addicted to it (or both). There is 1 thing you can take away: the stress. When you talk to him, stay calm. This will make it easier for both of you.

The first time you talk to him he'll probably refuse to stop. You have to accept that. Wait a while, and then confront him again. You can repeat this, but not too much. If he simply can't stop, help him search to an alternative. There are lot's of things to help people quit or to replace smoking. Cigarettes on electricity, for example, or chewing gum. Both of them are free of poison, CO, etc.

I hope this answer will hep your brother to quit.

Isabelle.

My daughter smoked so I know how you feel. I also smoked until I found ecigs. I stopped smoking cigarettes completely and since then have been dropping the nicotine level in my eliquid. I am now down to almost zero. I've introduced my daughter to ecigs and she has also stopped cigarettes. I mix my own liquids so I have complete control over the nicotine level, I mix for her too and she doesn't know yet I've been dropping her levels, she hasn't noticed the difference! My advice to you would be to maybe buy your brother one as a present and see what he thinks. He has to be ready to change though, so don't be too disappointed if he doesn't show much interest to start with, just planting the idea in his head may have to be sufficient for now. Don't pressure him, that will just annoy him, tell him how much less ecigs cost too, that might help... Good luck

Tanya UK.

First thing, can I just say you're such a loving and very sweet kind of sibling to your brother. I know you're really concern about your brother but I think cigarettes is one of the bad habits that adults/young adults that can't be avoided at this moment. Well... I think the best thing you can do is you yourself tell your brother how you feel every time you see him smoke, (since you said that he won't listen to your parents) maybe this is now the right time for you to have courage to say that you are really concern for him smoking. Maybe this time to you as a younger bro. he'll listen. You could ask him out for a brother-to-brother bonding and little by little you can open up to him that you really are concern and scared for his health and tell him how much you love him and you don't want him to lose early that's why you want him to quit from smoking. Or you could just tell him every day the bad effects of cigarettes in the body even if he gets mad for convincing him real hard. Until he finally decides to give it up. I'm pretty sure your brother will soon understand and will stop from smoking. Hope this helps! Best of Luck! Love, Shaine from Philippines.

I understand you care about your brother and want the best for him, but, as you already know, he is an adult: he's old enough to make his own decisions. Even though sometimes they might not be the best ones - from your point of view - that's up to him.

But the most important thing here is that you're worrying too much about a remote possibility. You said it yourself: your brother smokes moderately. Although it may be harmful, smoking doesn't necessarily imply developing cancer. There are a lot of people who smoke for years and, though their physical condition may not be the best, they are fine. My mum is an example of that: she was a smoker for 20 years. She really used to smoke A LOT and she's just fine.

The only thing you can ask your brother is not to smoke indoors or while you are nearby. Cigarette smoke is annoying, not to mention the smell that sticks to your hair and clothes. I'm sure he will respect that request. Don't worry about him smoking a lot outside your home. People who smoke a lot, smoke a lot everywhere. They are never moderate.

Love from Argentina. Noelia.

Have a peaceful and loving attitude, tell him how you feel and how it is hurting not only him but the loved ones around him. tell him how there are so many better things in life and help him to find something he enjoys more than smoking. Malachi.

Here's the thing you can't make him stop.

He is the one that has to make the decision.

The only thing you can do is to say that your really worried about him.

And that you want to help him. Don't be scared to tell him how you feel when you see those commercials.

Maybe even show him that you made this email to The Oracle. Because you just want to help him.

I don't think he will ignore you, at certain points he will think about what you said.

And he might realise how unhealthy it is and you are worried about him.

Greetings, Luc.

So, your brother can't stop smoking and you're troubled in looking for a way out? If it comes about cigarettes, then progress is the answer.

People mostly chose to smoke with a reason. It's not about that he's in his 20s or anything, there is a high probability that he's having a major problem and he decided to keep it. Try to talk more with him, share stories and thoughts about it. Then, ask him to stop. This can be the hardest part but like I said above, progress is the main solution here. Slowly but surely I'm very certain that he'll stop smoking!

Now, regarding your brother's age, the longer your brother stays with his habit the aftermath will be even more painful in the future.

Wish everything the best for you, your family, and especially your brother!

Cheers, Josh.

I happen to have a friend who smokes. I talked to him about it and asked him what made him start, and tried to understand what makes him so attached to it. Some people are attached to cigarettes because of the physical moves they make when smoking, (i.e, holding the cigarette, blowing out the smoke, etc.), for others it's, of course, the nicotine. Try to talk to him and don't be afraid, fear is 50% of failure all the time. Approach him gently and in a friendly manner. Sit him down and talk about it as much as he likes. Don't lead the conversation, make him do that. Just try to understand what it is that's making him this way. You also have to get the help of someone he is really close to, like his girlfriend or best friend. Make them also talk to him. I'm sure with all your effort you will get him to at least cut down. Remember, its a journey of patience and support. You're an amazing sibling. Solaf.

As a previous smoker myself, I recently quit a year ago, it makes it MUCH harder when you have family harassing you about quitting. My mom harassed me every time she saw me. I know that family only does it because they care, but from personal experience, it only makes it worse for the person who is smoking. The best thing that a family member can do is bet there to support them. The only time that quitting smoking will be successful is if the person really wants to quit. This is my FOURTH attempt to quit, and the longest time I have gone without going back to it. I smoked from the time I was 15 to 32. It's not easy so when that day comes that your brother does want to quit smoking he will need lots of support and understanding, especially if he has a bump and goes back to smoking. It may not happen the first time or the second. What people don't get is that it's not as easy as you think it is. Just please try to support your brother as much as you can. Rosalie.

First off, I think it's nice that you want to help your brother out and I understand you want him to do the healthy thing and stop smoking. But in the end it's his own decision. As you said he's in his twenties, so you can't make him stop or help him stop if he doesn't want to. My dad used to smoke a lot too, until we took him to the 'Body Worlds Exhibition' one day. Where, amongst other things, they show you the difference between a smokers and non-smokers lung. It scared the living daylights out of him and he stopped smoking the next day. Maybe you could take your brother there sometime? Good luck! Amanda.

Thanks to all those who replied to this week's question. Remember, Team Oracle is open to anyone so if you fancy replying, click to read this week's, and send us your answer.

Funny how the original idea of the Oracle:

"Ask me anything about Coldplay (please) and I'll give you answers about your favourite band! :cheesy:"

turned into

"hI Oracle LoL my boob z are liek 2 small N now ma boyfriend dont Like hav XXX w/ me anmore but I'mma preggo plz help lolthxxx bayyy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!1"

:|

"Ask me anything about Coldplay (please) and I'll give you answers about your favourite band! :cheesy:"

turned into

"hI Oracle LoL my boob z are liek 2 small N now ma boyfriend dont Like hav XXX w/ me anmore but I'mma preggo plz help lolthxxx bayyy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!1"

HAHAHHA who wrote that sh*t? :lol: :laugh3:

15 September 2014 / submitted by Jonny, Germany

Q. Hey there!

Are there other band members than Chris in the True Love Video?

Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No, just Chris.

15 September 2014 / submitted by Kira, Australia

Q. Do any of the guys have social media?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. The only social media they have is as a collective / the band.

Anyone claiming otherwise is an imposter.

15 September 2014 / submitted by Ellie, United Kingdom

Q. I was wondering what your favourite Coldplay video is?

And whether there's a video in particular the band enjoyed filming the most?

X

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They all said they really loved filming the A Sky Full Of Stars video in Australia

I think you can tell when you watch it. There's a real happy vibe to it.

Paradise & Magic stand out too.

turned into

It's been ages since I read the Oracle Q&As!! I think the idea is about to end soon.

Well,the whole official site has been greatly neglected since the new era for the sake of social media outlets!

16 September 2014 / submitted by Faye, Australia

Q. Hi friend,

Even though Chris is the only band member in the True Love video were the other band members required at the video shot, possibly to make any decisions or make sure they are happy as a whole band with what was happening? THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. Unless the band are all in the video, they're not required at the shoot and weren't on set for True Love.

16 September 2014 / submitted by Tricia, Philippines

Q. Hello O,

Mabuhay!

Just curious, during tours or in between recordings, do our boys hang out in a single room and watch a particular TV show or something?

What are they collectively interested in other than the music they create together?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

If it's a TV/radio appearance or awards show type set up, there's a green room where the guys will chill out beforehand. Here they may read, chat, listen to music, watch a film, play video games (solo or against each other), make phone calls or whatever.

When they're on tour, it's a much bigger operation. There are several rooms for band personnel, family & friends plus the band have one large dressing room and warm up room(s).

They may also go and kick a ball about, go for a run or visit catering.

16 September 2014 / submitted by Maribel Dionisio, United States of America

Q. Hey Oracle!

So I have currently downloaded the Origami Star because, well, I obviously wanted to try it out and I got stuck on Step 7. I need help! I feel like a complete idiot for not being able to understand it. I love Coldplay, and in my opinion, they're the best band ever. Anyways, have a wonderful day or evening Oracle!

-Yours Truly,

A Teen.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I admit I am useless at following such instructions. Luckily for us, someone made a YouTube video. Hopefully you will recognize step 7 when you're watching and successfully complete your star.

Good luck!

17 September 2014 / submitted by Peter, United Kingdom

Q. Does Coldplay have a tour bus?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. They used to travel by tour bus but now it's mostly cars and planes with an occasional train. The last time I was on a bus with the band was the short journey from the airport terminal to the plane. Before that it was when a group of us went on an away day (paintballing) - we all got a coach there.

17 September 2014 / submitted by Joshua, Indonesia

Q. Hello, O. Is it true that Chris can't or couldn't read music sheet? Do you think that the capability of reading music is needed to expand musical talent? Thanks and sorry if someone has asked this before.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The first part has been asked before - it's true.

Regarding the second part - you tell me. I don't think it is needed.

Isn't Chris proof that no, it's not necessary at all?

17 September 2014 / submitted by Jerry Balot , Philippines

Q. Hello again Oracle,

I just noticed that Coldplay releases a new album every three years ever since A Rush of Blood to the Head in 2002. Is it possible (or even true) that the next Coldplay album will come out in 2017?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Not necessarily, there were only two years before the first two albums: 2000, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011 & 2014.

As we discussed in Team Oracle a couple of weeks ago, anything is possible (within reason), so yes it is possible the next album could be released in 2017 though as Chris has already been on record saying they are recording, it's likely to come well before then.

17 September 2014 / submitted by George, United States of America

Q. Hi Oracle,

After lyrics are posted on coldplay.com, are they ever amended if Chris sings something different on the actual recording than the written lyrics?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Chris only usually changes the lyrics when performing live after the song is released into the big wide world. We keep the website's lyrics as originally recorded. They are only amended if there has been a mistake.

18 September 2014 / submitted by Guillaume , France

Q. Hi Oracle !

I was at the Royal Albert Hall on July 1 and saw some of the concert setlist on the table next to you! I tried to come and ask you a set list but you left at that time. Have you still setlist?

Thanks you!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I think you must have mistaken my identity for someone else because I wasn't sat near a table. I did have a setlist with me though...

Always in My Head

Charlie Brown

Paradise

Magic

Clocks

The Scientist

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Til Kingdom Come

Don't Panic

Everything's Not Lost

Ink

True Love

Viva La Vida

Midnight

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

Encore:

Oceans

A Sky Full of Stars

Fix You

18 September 2014 / submitted by Nick, United States of America

Q. Oracle, what instruments do you compose with?

P.S. It's great to hear you have original music. With all of you life wisdom, I'm sure you've made some hauntingly-beautiful creations.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I don't; I have songs in my head but they never make it out of there. My tunes usually come late at night just before I doze off. I don't make a voice memo & hardly ever remember them the next morning. That makes me think they can't be that good in the first place or I would remember. At the time though, I think they are ace!

19 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 25 September.

I've been going through a beautiful but also rather tough time this summer. My little sister developed a depression and hasn't been the same lately and although I'm positive about it and know it'll be alright again I sometimes feel guilty for departing from her because it affects me so much and it's hard finding energy every day to help her. I'm scared of being selfish! To which extent is it okay to think of my own well-being?

Thank you in advance,

Francis, Germany.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

19 September 2014 / submitted by Aubrey, Australia

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #184

I have been through a lot of depressing stuff lately, a lot has been going wrong in my life. I don't know who I am anymore, and my personality has changed for the worse. I've been really depressed. My school life is terrible, my grades are going downhill rapidly, and I don't get on with my family, I'm the odd one out. All my friends have said they hate me now, after a false rumor was spread about me. I only ever let my feelings out in my writing and drawing, as well as when I play my guitar. I love all of Coldplay's songs, they really express how I feel a lot of the time. You see, I had a boyfriend, secretly, but my parents found out about it and are preventing me from seeing him again. I didn't get to say goodbye, or even explain why I'm not talking to him, it was all so sudden. I'm scared of what he thinks of me, but I couldn't help it. I miss him a lot in my life, he was the only person who understood me. Do you have any encouraging thoughts for me? Thank you.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Growing up can be tough. There are a lot of changes to navigate through. You sometimes have to make decisions that you don't feel ready for and life can be overwhelming. Whether it's academic or personal, when you're going through puberty, you may not be aware that your hormones are also raging. They don't help matters!

The good news is it doesn't last and that almost everyone your age will be experiencing similar things.

Kids can be cruel (oh, there's bad news - so can adults) but you don't have to put up with bullying.

Your creativity serves as an excellent outlet to expel your frustrations and unhappiness. Keep on expressing your feelings in this way but I think you need to talk to people too.

Speak to a teacher about the rumours - they should be able to help in some way. Maybe there's a school counsellor you can also make an appointment with.

Talk to your 'friends' and put your side of the story across. If they don't listen, get new friends, as they're not worth your time.

You also need to speak with your parents. They were your age once and maybe they forget that sometimes as they try to do what they think is best for you. They may find it hard to accept you're growing up. If you feel unable to discuss how you feel, write them a letter.

I think you should also write your boyfriend a letter to explain what happened but at this point, respect your parents' decision to not see him until a time you have had a conversation with them.

Tell them he's your closest friend and you'd like them to meet him. Try to appeal to their younger selves that hopefully still lie within them somewhere.

Remember, they are trying to protect you, not punish you. Talking to them about how you feel in a calm, mature manner may help them see things from your view.

If you're ever a Mum, you may understand their side one day too.

It's hard work to keep up good grades when there's other stuff going on but try hard to focus on your studies.

Sometimes when bad things happen, we see everything through negative eyes and suddenly it feels like the world is against us and everything is going wrong when in fact, it can all be fixed.

One step at a time, deal with each problem. Write a list and go through it systematically.

Things can get better but it will take effort. Don't give up.

Over to you.

I understand when you say music, writing and drawing are the things that allow you to express your feelings. I used to have a lot of problems and music was one of the things that kept me sane.

I really think it would be helpful if you considered seeking some professional help. In my case, it wasn't until I started therapy that I got to understand many of my problems, their causes, and that I was finally able to learn how to deal with them and even solve them. It takes a lot of work, because you are confronted with many things of your past, but along the way, you learn a lot about yourself: why you act in a certain way, why you see the world the way you do, why you react in a certain way sometimes. Changing for better is possible if you are committed to it and work hard for it. I also have a friend that struggles with depression (he has a medical condition), so it's very important for you to seek for help sooner than later, so you can start taking back the control of your life.

As for your parents, the only thing I can tell you is there are some periods in life when we don't understand them and they don't understand us, but that doesn't mean you don't care about each other and that your relationship is never gonna be good. I can make you sure of that. So try to understand their point of view and to objectively see what reasons they could have not to accept your boyfriend.

Hope it all goes well. Noelia, Argentina.

That is such a horrible experience to go through Aubrey, and unfortunately I understand what you are going through. Through my struggles with loneliness, isolation, family issues, and others, I have learned through it all that if you are able to keep going through pain and keep marching on, it gives you character and courage, and those things will help you through anything in life. Keep playing your guitar and drawing and writing. If you are able to find a way to turn your depression into something beautiful, it is a gift and it is a wonderful one. In my opinion, if your ex-boyfriend meant that much to you, your parents should let you two be together. Just tell them all he has done for you and a good person should understand and let love prevail. Love and happiness in your life outside of school will hopefully change your life in school for the better. So keep making beautiful things, fight for your love and just keep going on with life, and it is ok to be depressed sometimes because it shows you don't bottle up your emotions (which is really bad to do) so feel what you feel but don't let it destroy your own life. Happiness, Love, and Healing, three words to think about at the end of this. I hope you take my advice into consideration Aubrey and I wish you love, happiness, and luck in this world

Yours,

Catherine, Connecticut.

The best thing you can do now since you are suffering from depression is to seek professional help. That's the best thing you have to do right now.. You see, being depressed is really not healthy for someone it may cause harmful effects to your body, and that's the first thing that I want to advice to you. About your friends, if they believed with all the fake rumors that spreading about you, then they are not your real friends. Because, real friends don't believed in other people's words they'll believe in your words. And about your parents have you asked them why they are so against with your boyfriend? If not then asked them, I believed that parents wants only the best for their kids. And to your boyfriend, I think it's best if you'll tell him why you're not seeing him anymore so he'll know your current situation and what your parents think of him. And when he knew about it, maybe he can man up and tell your parents that he has good intentions towards you. Hope this helps. I wish you nothing but the best in the world! Love, Shaine from Philippines. Xxo

I'm sorry that you feel this way but keep your head up! At some point everyone feels lost one way or another. You are not alone even though it might seem that way. If you feel like you can't talk to anybody you know about this, I would suggest you seek counsel with a professional. It could be a psychologist or a counsellor at your school, just know that there is no shame in seeking help, it only means you are strong. Stouie.

This sounds very hard. I am not going through the same but can relate to you. Last week it seems everything came at once, very stressful and I have been very depressed too. I listened to much Coldplay during these weeks.

Please don't be too shy to ask for help. Maybe in school a teacher to trust.

If you don't feel comfort in your family anymore, ask if you can go to a boarding school or something like this.

Changing your school might be helpful.

Well I don't know your age but you could search help at a psychologist.

You play guitar and play Coldplay songs on it. Go for it, get better and better and maybe this is your chance to break out of this life you live now. If you could play in public for example.

Or in writing, maybe you could write a book.

Nothing lasts forever - neither the worse days in your life. It's hard to believe it, I know cause of self-experience.

Wish you all the best. Maren.

I understand that it is very difficult to get away from the people you love because it also happened to me, my sister also had a boyfriend in secret and when my parents knew it it punished a long time I guess it's almost the same thing that happens to you but don't let that affect you too at school advise of demonstrate you to your parents with your grades that you deserve to have more freedom in your life and maybe so they understand because you want to be with your boyfriend. If you worry that he does not know the reason why you drifted from it I think it means as happened all things and when everything had all it will be as before. Best of luck in all Aubrey a hug from Argentina on the part of Daniela.

The positive part of your story is that you realize your having some problems with your attitude, so try to make some changes. My first suggestion is to remember every good thing you have done. I'm sure you have succeed in many aspects what it means you are not a complete failure. In the case of your relationship with your family, keep in mind that they'll be there for you anytime you need them. Don't get frustrated if they don't agree with you. Just listen to them patiently, what they say might be true because parents are more experienced than we are. As we get older, we realize how true their advices and comments were. In the case of your friends, I believe that sometimes it is better to stay alone than to be with someone who doesn't trust in you. It hurts I know, it happened to me. My friends started to believe in others rather than in me. I didn't explain them anything. I just treated them like anyone else with respect. They realized by themselves that I wasn't the kind of person they thought I was and they changed their attitude. My last suggestion is to keep writing your thoughts, the good ones and the bad ones. That help you to express what you feel. Talk is a good song to listen to. It encourages me to express what I keep on my mind. Best wishes, Isabel.

I'm sorry to hear things haven't been working out the way you'd hoped lately. You're going to a rough time right now and nothing I say will make you instantly feel better, because everyone experiences moments in their lives where they feel like things are going downhill for a while. But I do know one thing though, things will get better! Trust me they will. Talk to your parents about how your boyfriend made you happy, be open and honest with them and ask them to give him a fair chance. Find the time to talk to your boyfriend and let him know what happened. Tell your friends the rumor was false, talk things out with them. There's lots of forums on the internet filled with people who also love to draw, write and play the guitar, maybe you could try talking to them and share your creativity with them. It feels good to share you're passions with others in that way and it might make you feel better too. And don't forget, you're not alone in this. Good luck! Amanda

22 September 2014 / submitted by Amal, United Kingdom

Q. Dear the great Oracle,

Will Coldplay ever perform any songs from Parachutes ever again? I only ask because this is my favourite album of Coldplay and to hear them perform it again would mean the world to me.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Yes, I'd put money on it though I can't say what, when or where. They played Don't Panic and Yellow on the last tour.

22 September 2014 / submitted by John, United Kingdom

Q. Is this the official video for What If?

It's not from an official Coldplay account so I'm not sure, plus the person playing the piano doesn't seem to look like Chris.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I think I may have answered this before as I recognise it but... FOURTEEN + MILLION?! Can't quite believe how many views this unofficial video has got. This is NOT endorsed by the band or the label neither does it feature Chris at the piano. There was no video for What If; it was a radio only single in select territories.

22 September 2014 / submitted by Crashnz, New Zealand

Q. via twitter

Coldplay's first producer Mike Beever (crashnz on twitter) releases 5th album of Music For Film.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Mike tweeted about his new album. For those who don't know who he is or where he fits into the Coldplay timeline, here's the story...

Mike engineered /produced Brothers and Sisters, Only Superstition and Easy to Please for the Fierce Panda release. In the words of Phil Harvey, he is "one of the good guys!"

Mike recalls, "I met the band in '99 and did a 3 track EP with them for Fierce Panda Records.

We did it over a weekend - locked ourselves in the studio and did all the backing tracks on the Saturday and then Chris's vocals Sunday and mixed it Monday - 200 quid all up. For the ambient track Easy to Please we had all 4 members in different rooms and the front doors open to capture the rain and thunder sounds. I played some keyboards on that track.

I developed a close bond with the band over a month and gave them a lift up to Oxford in my beat up car and saw them a couple of times in London.

I've watched their rise to the top with great pride - hugely talented bunch."

Chronologically Nikki Rosetti produced Coldplay's first tracks, (Safety EP), soon followed by Mike (Brothers & Sisters). Chris Allison was involved briefly (Blue Room EP) before Ken Nelson got on board for the album (Parachutes).

23 September 2014 / submitted by PrinceOfChina, United Kingdom

Q. Hello Oracle. I decided to go on YouTube and look up songs preformed on the Royal Albert Hall shows on July 1 and 2. I watched the legendary performance of Don't Panic where Jonny sang his verse like he did on the original track. Tell me, how did the rest of the band persuade "the shyest man in the universe" to sing his verse?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Jonny didn't need persuading because he always sings vocals on the second verse of Don't Panic - can't recall a time he didn't. The RAH shows weren't the first time on the Ghost Stories tour, they also played it on 26 April, 2014 in Baden-Baden, Germany.

Chris did make a big thing of it at the London shows and on the second night, made Jonny sing it more than once. I think it was just a bit of fun because it was the last show for a while.

23 September 2014 / submitted by Ana, United States of America

Q. Is the song Charlie Brown slightly based in the 1987 Joel Schumacher "The Lost Boys" movie?

I saw the movie again over the weekend and it was all very familiar. .... Took a car downtown where the lost boys meet and took what they offered me to set me free... coincidence?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I haven't heard any reference to the film being an influence. As you may know, The Lost Boys are first and foremost characters in Peter Pan and Charlie Brown is a Peanuts character.

Many of you will know the working title for a while was Cartoon Heart before they settled on Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown being an original lyric that got dropped.

24 September 2014 / submitted by Jessica, United Kingdom

Q. What was the setlist for iheart radio festival?

Thanks!!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The iHeartRadio Music Festival set was short & sweet:

Clocks

Viva La Vida

Paradise

Ink

A Sky Full of Stars

24 September 2014 / submitted by Guido, Argentina

Q. Hi Oracle.

What is this? Ghost Stories: amgvjcnkjajrmyrm ?

Live 2012: ymcvjmajrnkcam

Mylo Xyloto: ?jmyamgnatrcvjj

Thanks.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I know I have answered this before but... there was a little mistake in the last reply so as Guido has asked about all 3, here it is again.

They are all a variation of the same thing, Guido. They are credits for the partners, children - & their mothers - but in initial form.

You need to be very careful where you stick a question mark in this question by the way. A ? appears when there's a baby on its way! Hence the ? for Mylo Xyloto as R hadn't arrived.

24 September 2014 / submitted by Guillaume , France

Q. Hi Oracle!

In the clip True Love at 3:50 of the video we can see Chris and his partner dance, and in the background we see the decors representing a sun. Personally I find that the sun is behind a lot like the world of album cover Parachutes.

Thank you for the answer Oracle!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

A few people have mentioned this. I can see what you mean but it's a sun and there is no intentional resemblance to the Parachutes globe cover. It's just a coincidence.

24 September 2014 / submitted by Jacob, United States of America

Q. Do you know if any members of the band have an opinion on Frank Ocean's cover of Strawberry Swing? Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I can't give you a direct quote on that specific cover but I can assume they like it because they invited Frank to open for their European shows on the MX tour in 2012. Sadly, he had to cancel.

25 September 2014 / submitted by Ihab, Jordan

Q. Is it possible to get the EPs of Coldplay before they were named Coldplay?

Thank you

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No, there aren't any. The band didn't record or distribute Starfish demos.

25 September 2014 / submitted by Isabel, Mexico

Q. Hi dear Oracle!

It is my birthday on September 28, I know it's hard to say happy birthday to every coldplayer who asks this but I hope you answer it. Could you share with me and all coldplayers a beautiful, wonderful, amazing photo taken in the UK? This is my second favorite country and it'll be one of the special gifts I've been given.

Best wishes.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Do you mean a photo of the band taken in the UK?

If you do, I have chosen one of the earliest photos of the band outdoors. Taken by Tom Sheehan for the Parachutes album shoot on Saturday 05 May 2000.

It is Blackpool - a seaside resort in the North West of England. They had played the night before (supporting Embrace) at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom in the iconic Blackpool Tower.

I have included some non-band related photos of the UK too.

25 September 2014 / submitted by Erik, Brazil

Q. Hi Oracle, I was wondering, back in 2000 when the boys were almost like anonymous, how did they get Shiver to the top 40 on UK?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Coldplay were already signed to Parlophone when Shiver was released and weren't unknown on the music scene although yes, they were new kids on the block (NOT actually New Kids On The Block.

Before a record is released, radio pluggers and TV/press promotion teams (either in-house at the label or out of house) are working away to get it written about and played on the radio /TV.

Coldplay had been championed early on by Steve Lamacq (& Jo Whiley) at Radio 1 and other stations followed suit. Shiver picked up radio airplay and that's why it charted at #35. That was by no means considered a hit by the way as it only just made the Top 40. Soon after Yellow was released. The band's profile was higher and gained them a #4 hit.

26 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 2 October.

Lately I've been feeling something strange. I haven't told anyone out of fear of sounding weird or dumb. Seeing people my age (I'm 18) who are famous and very successful (such as Lorde or Harry Styles) makes me wish I could have the success or happiness that they have. I've been feeling like because I am not famous, my life won't feel as significant or awesome, and I won't be able to do all of the cool things they get to do. Have you ever felt this? I'm curious to see your answer. Thank you. Gabby, USA.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

26 September 2014 / submitted by Francis, Germany

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #186

I've been going through a beautiful but also rather tough time this summer. My little sister developed a depression and hasn't been the same lately and although I'm positive about it and know it'll be alright again I sometimes feel guilty for departing from her because it affects me so much and it's hard finding energy every day to help her. I'm scared of being selfish! To which extent is it okay to think of my own well-being?

Thank you in advance.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

What a tricky situation, Francis. As your sister didn't write to me, I'm afraid I can't advise her through you; I can only address your issue.

She's lucky to have you. How can you be selfish when you have written to me about your concern?

I don't think it's as easy as having a yardstick to measure an acceptable level of thinking of your own well-being. It's your life and it'd be pointless to be dragged down by someone else's troubles.

That said, it's natural to worry about your sister.

Unfortunately, unless your positivity transfers to her, it's not going to do much good because I'm sorry to say, you can't know it's going to be alright. I am a positive person too and believe that it can possibly be alright but she needs to work that out for herself. You can only try to help her if she is willing to accept it. There's not a lot you can do if she isn't.

You haven't mentioned your parents but it's their job to look after her so if they aren't aware of her depression, now might be the time to discuss it with them.

Your sister first needs a diagnosis from a doctor to establish whether she is depressed or just feeling down in a slump. It sounds like it's not been going on for long so maybe she's just going through a sad time.

If it's the latter without sounding harsh, try not to be an enabler. Sometimes people in this situation stay stuck there because of the attention and sympathy.

If I assume your sister wants to get better, she will need your love, understanding and encouragement. You may not be able to be with her physically every day but in today's world of technology, you'll never be that far away. Let her know you're there for her.

You can talk with her and your parents about her options and support her if she gets the help she needs but you can't fix it so there may be more tough times ahead before it can get better.

In the meantime, live your life without guilt and you can still be a great sister.

Over to you.

I have a friend that has a mental condition and often faces depressive periods. It breaks my heart every time I look at him and see in his eyes he is going through a depressive period again. But I know there's not much I can do, because he has a medical condition: I cannot prevent him to feel the way he does and I cannot make it stop.

The only thing you can do for your sister is letting her know you are there for her and doing small things (maybe something she asks you, maybe preparing some food: small but nice things). Since she has a medical condition, there is nothing you can do to avoid her suffering.

The fact that someone you love is going through such a terrible situation must be overwhelming. But it sounds like it affects you a lot and it's not selfish at all to take care of yourself too. Depression is not a battle that you can win for your sister. You cannot prevent her to feel the way she does. So taking some time apart is not bad; it doesn't mean that you are not there for her. It just means you took a minute to take a breath, to get some fresh air. You won't be able to be helpful in case your sister or your family needed something if you are not fine. And it wouldn't be helpful if your sister saw you feeling bad and associated it with her condition.

Hope it all goes well. Noelia, Argentina.

I have been through this and still go through it every single day. I don't know when exactly it's right to stop thinking about people and start thinking about myself. All I know is that you should try to divide your thoughts between you and others. Don't only think about people but also try not to make yourself all what you think about. As for your sister, I am glad you know its all going to be fine eventually. The only thing you need to know is that it will take some time so don't give up on her. If you're going through something like GCSEs or college, try to give yourself a little more time since this period of time can be very stressing. All in all, take care of yourself and make it one of (but not all) your priorities. I hope you'll be able to figure this puzzle called life out. Solaf.

I think that it's very important for you to think about your own well being. If you're a mess too, how are you going help her? I believe that depression is a very hard to go through and deal with, not only for the person that suffers it, but for those who are around as well. That angst can be kind of contagious and that it's not good for you or your sister. Allow yourself to take a breath of fresh air and disconnect. I'm going through the same thing actually, and I know it's not easy, I'm having a hard time following my own advice. I feel so useless sometimes, and I can even get so angry at my sister. I wish I could just shake it off her, but it doesn't work like that. Try to find a good balance, take care of yourself so you can be there for her as well. And as a last piece of advice, find someone you can talk to about it outside your own family, it helped me. I hope it gets better. Best, Caro.

I feel I can relate to your question, I have been on both sides of this coin. What I can tell you is it is really draining to be the person who cares for someone suffering from depression, you need to remember to care for yourself and do fun things that are just for you. Feeling guilty is a byproduct of depression, likely your sister feels guilty too and really may not want lot of attention. You may feel helpless and like you just want to make it go away but you can't. She is best helped by your support and by a trained professional counselor or mental health professional. You need to be on the look out for any sign she may bring harm to herself, be attentive and listen to what she says. Sometimes just being with someone who cares is enough support. It sounds like she is getting better but be aware it can resurface again, in fact once we have a depressive episode, chances are good it won't be our last. Be there for her, help her to look for help if she needs it. She will have good days and bad days, celebrate the good ones and ride out the bad ones. I wish you and her all the best as you deal with it, take care, Laurie.

Thinking of your own well-being should always be your first instinct, although I can understand how that can go in a different direction when dealing with a loved one's emotional problems. It is normal to feel you are not doing enough or being selfish, especially if you hold on to the belief that it is somehow in your power to get your sister out of the depression. She will walk on her journey, and you are there to accompany her - but you cannot walk this journey in her place... I don't have any advice for you, but I hope I was able to clarify the source of some of the feelings you're experiencing. Remember, you are there to help your sister (because you want to) but you must find where it is that your are 'not' in her story - and rejoice in finding out where the line is drawn between her depression and your life: you might find that your freedom lies in this. Also, keep in mind the depression hasn't taken over your sister's power, it is only a crisis and hopefully it will pass in its own time whilst making her stronger. Be happy you can be there for her in as much as you can - that you can be there for her is already a gift and I am sure she feels your presence is enough.

Lovingly, Irina from Montreal!

Of course it's ok to think of your own well-being! It's very sweet of you to be there for your sister and to support her through this difficult time. But you can't just drop everything that's going on in your own life. You must find a way to be there for her at certain times, but also continue with your own life or you'll end up getting depressed too. I'm sure your sister wouldn't want you to give up everything to be with her all day. Ask other relatives or friends to look out for her as well. You're not being selfish at all, time apart from her also gives you the chance to clear your mind. You can't really be of any help to her unless you help yourself first and keep your own life in order. Be there for her when she truly needs you, but make sure you get enough personal "me" time as well. Good luck! Amanda.

29 September 2014 / submitted by Jason, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle

I have just returned from Las Vegas after seeing the wonderful Coldplay at the IHeart radio concert. I have been very lucky (and spent a fortune) to be able to have seen them in NY x2 , London & now Vegas

Whilst I was there I saw the local sights. Do any of the band get to see the local sights whilst they are in town i.e. being a tourist if they have time?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I'm guessing the more times a band travels around the world, the less they see of it.

The schedules are quite tight so there's not a lot of tourist time worked in these days - the band rarely get to see the sights.

When I have travelled with the band, I had the opportunity to visit places on occasion but obviously that's less tricky when you're not recognised.

I have encountered attention arriving / leaving hotels and venues though and witnessed high speed chases by the paparazzi so it's not quite as simple as popping to Sugarloaf Mountain without it causing a commotion.

29 September 2014 / submitted by Princess of China, United States of America

Q. Hello to all!

Quick question:

Recently I visited Chris Martin's biography profile at Wikipedia.

And I noticed a big change!

Chris' name is listed as Christopher James John Martin ! Then lists his birth name, the name we know he by Christopher Anthony John. So my question is, Why the name change and is this official? Thanks a lot. Peace and love.

Say hi to the boys of Coldplay!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

As you say, under the photo of Chris on the right hand side, it correctly gives his name as Christopher Anthony John Martin.

I love Wikipedia but it is not gospel and so anything you read there may not have been verified and isn't to be taken as 100% truth.

29 September 2014 / submitted by Bruno, Argentina

Q. Hello there! I just wanted to know what Parachutes song was WRITTEN first. I'm getting into music writing and recording, and Coldplay is one of my biggest inspirations.

Thank you!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Don't Panic closely followed by High Speed. The former was always a consideration for the album but the latter wasn't. High Speed was an abandoned demo that was resurrected.

30 September 2014 / submitted by Anna, United States of America

Q. Dear Oracle;

There were these awesome leggings featured on the fanfare website under the "New in Store" display. However, I can't find them anywhere else on the site for sale/for purchase...

Do you know where I can find them? If they aren't available yet, do you have any idea what they are or when they are available?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I must have missed those - not ringing any bells at all.

The shop is a separate entity so maybe ask via their contact form .

Alternatively, call them using the numbers give on the site.

30 September 2014 / submitted by Ethan, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

Are The Darktones for hire?

What I mean is... Is there any chance in the world that Rik and Guy can be contacted with demo's, or would they only pursue a project they want to work on and not the other way around?

Ethan

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They work on projects they love. They're always very busy even when not working with Coldplay that time wouldn't allow for demos to be submitted. It happens, but usually from an introduction, rather than an unsolicited demo.

30 September 2014 / submitted by Carlos , Mexico

Q. Hi Oracle, I was just listening to the Safety EP and then I wondered, why Coldplay haven't played any of those recordings live? Are they ashamed of they very early recordings?

Thanks. :)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They have played them, just not for a very long time. They're not ashamed at all - ah, actually, they'd probably never play Ode to Deodorant (the first song recorded after the Safety EP) because they do feel something - not ashamed but they agree it's not their finest work (I love it).

1 October 2014 / submitted by Simon, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle. Whilst watching the Winter Olympics, in the men's Short programme figure skating, Germany's Peter Liebers did his routine to a version of Clocks that I've never heard, but enjoyed. It sounded mainly piano and violins, no lyrics and nothing else as far as I'm aware. Just wondering where would I find this version to download?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

That was great, wasn't it? There are many times when you may hear an instrumental version of a song whether as a soundbed or like here, as a performance piece, but I'm afraid those versions aren't available to download.

• 3 weeks later...

1 October 2014 / submitted by Simon, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle. Whilst watching the Winter Olympics, in the men's Short programme figure skating, Germany's Peter Liebers did his routine to a version of Clocks that I've never heard, but enjoyed. It sounded mainly piano and violins, no lyrics and nothing else as far as I'm aware. Just wondering where would I find this version to download?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

That was great, wasn't it? There are many times when you may hear an instrumental version of a song whether as a soundbed or like here, as a performance piece, but I'm afraid those versions aren't available to download.

1 October 2014 / submitted by Eleanor, United States of America

Q. Love the ASFoS video, so joyful! Was it shot in one take to really give it a "live" feel? If not, it still feels that way.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Although it does look like it was filmed in one take, it actually wasn't.

1 October 2014 / submitted by Greg, United States of America

Q. I was listening to The Pierces last album, produced by Guy, and was wondering if the others produced albums for others. I think I read somewhere Jonny did work on a song, and I know there are several songs that Chris worked on, but are there any examples of entire albums they produced?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Guy is the only member to fully produce an album despite all the guys having worked on other projects.

2 October 2014 / submitted by Tshepo, South Africa

Q. Hey Oracle

I was wondering in the video of ASFOS, what video was playing on the television sets as Chris was playing his guitar?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

As you may know, there was another video made before they went to Australia but the band didn't like it. What you can see on those TV sets in the shop window is a snippet of that ditched video.

October 2014 / submitted by Sarah, United Kingdom

Q. Hi dear Oracle,

We know that Chris had to convinced the band to include A Sky Full Of Stars in Ghost Stories.

Do you know why? Was the song written at the end of the Ghost Stories' process?

Cheers.THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They tried ASFOS many ways and Will, Guy & Jonny weren't completely convinced by the version that Chris was determined to release. It is is one of the first times that Chris was so adamant that they finally relented and agreed on the version. I have to admit, I wasn't sure either but Chris was right.

I believe it was written later in the session because Chris describes the song as being the light at the end of the tunnel; a happy ending of hope if you will. He said all the other songs lead to ASFOS.

2 October 2014 / submitted by Maida, Chile

Q. Hi Oracle!

A few days ago I was searching for videos in YouTube and I saw one in which was Chris and the actor of Spiderman kissing... omg is this really true?

thanks,

Maida.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Truth... well, it's true that it happened but it was a set-up joke on a U.S TV show.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone (& Chris) were guests on Saturday Night Live back in May (2014). There was a skit where Andrew & Emma were recreating a Spiderman film scene that involved kissing. The premise was they couldn't get it right which is when Chris stepped in to say that he can show them how it's done. That's how the kiss* came about.

*Chris was wearing a wig.

3 October 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply. This week, I have chosen a broader Q which may - or may not - have an emotional attachment.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 9 October.

Do you have a favourite line of lyrics from any of the Ghost Stories songs? And from any of the other era songs? Is there any particular line that always gets to you? Thanks in advance if you answer this! Love from India. Teresa. x

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

3 October 2014 / submitted by Gabby, United Kingdom

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #187

Lately I've been feeling something strange. I haven't told anyone out of fear of sounding weird or dumb. Seeing people my age (I'm 18) who are famous and very successful (such as Lorde or Harry Styles) makes me wish I could have the success or happiness that they have. I've been feeling like because I am not famous, my life won't feel as significant or awesome, and I won't be able to do all of the cool things they get to do. Have you ever felt this? I'm curious to see your answer. Thank you.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I have never felt this way but will try to offer some help.

Some people achieve and succeed through talent, determination, hard work but usually a little luck thrown in.

I can understand a desire to be able to do cool stuff but I don't equate it with being famous.

If there is something you want to buy, save for it. If there's something you want to do, learn how to do it. You can make it happen for you just as they did if you REALLY want it - once you work out what your "it" is.

If you do have a talent (in any field), there's no reason you can't get to the same level as Lorde, Harry et al.

If not, why not find a project to work on. You could be raising awareness for a great cause or finding funding for a scheme or giving your time to a charity. That's worthwhile in my book.

Celebrity does bring opportunities but it's not unattainable for us mere civilians. I wouldn't want to be famous for any amount of money in the world!

Rather than feel envious about wealthy celebrities your age, why not take some motivation from it to achieve whatever your goal is? Just be the best you can be. Money does not necessarily bring happiness. Perhaps you should concentrate on what makes you happy and if it's money, maybe you need to find something more worthwhile to focus on.

Only you can make your life significant so don't waste it - go out and do amazing things. Every small thing you do can be significant. You can make changes and make it count but please try not to get fixated on the transience of fame and its trappings. There is more to life than celebrity. Find what makes you happy and let go of the comparisons.

Over to you.

Yes.. I thought of it and felt it too sometimes. Like why other people my age are seems to be more successful than me. Like.. why are they like this and why I'm not like that. But even though they seem to be more successful (like Lorde or Harry Styles) than I am. I don't feel less significant or awesome. Why? Because I have with me the people that makes me feel significant and awesome. The people who you love and loves you back. It doesn't mean that you cant do awesome stuff because your not famous. You just have to work hard for it to achieve it you know.. Like what other always say "Work hard, Play harder". You're 18, you're still young and probably studying. You can still be able to get the cool things if you focus on setting your goals. You can have the success in life if you have goals. and I think it'll be best if you don't compare yourself to other people's achievements because we all have the ability to do what they can do. You just have to have your dreams faith eagerness to achieve that.

Hope this answer you question. Wish you the best! Love, Shaine from Philippines.

Yes Gabby everyone has thought of fame at least once in their lifetime. Some have thought of it for the fun, some for the money, others just for pure curiosity. I have gone through that phase, but coming to think of it, fame isn't all about people loving you and tonnes of cash, fame has a dark, dark side to it. When one is at this stage in life (teenage phase) and becomes famous, they tend to become frustrated and act somewhat unlike themselves, due to this phase being the most delicate and sensitive phase in one's life. Yes you can use fame in good ways (such as the charitable Coldplay) but that's not how most teenagers think. I would love to be famous, as I am very much inspired by Coldplay. I know it's hard and that it comes with so many cons, but being able to do what I love and at the same time help people means the entire world to me. Solaf.

Anyone who pays attention to the history of music or show business in general knows that fame doesn't guarantee happiness or fulfilment. Look at how many artists have become addicts or killed themselves despite their success.

Instead of seeking fame, seek a path that will fulfil you. Ask yourself, what makes me delighted? What fascinates me so much that time disappears when I'm engaged in that activity? What do you like to share with people you care about?

Fame is a by-product of being fabulous at what you do (hopefully) and not a goal. Find your own happiness and follow it, if fame follows, you'll need to deal with a laundry list of other issues. If it doesn't, maybe you'll just be really happy. Jamie.

I understand what you're talking about. I'm 24 and I've read about the campaign Emma Watson is supporting. So here I have a huge example of success. But the point is not feeling sad because you don't have what others have. Every one on their fields have achieved their goals; it doesn't matter how much impact it has in the society. I believe every single human being has given a mission or a talent (either you believe in God or the universe, etc). We're here for a reason, it could be to become a singer, an actor, a teacher or it could be to make people happy, to give advice (thanks Oracle), to support everyone in the hardest times. Sometimes all we have to do is to follow our hearts. If you think you can become a famous singer or actress look for it. Nothing comes for itself. We have to work hard to make our dreams come true. And remember this envy is one of the most horrible feelings. Happiness could be find in the simplest things, but if you start to wish what other people have you won't see it. All you need to make cool things is to enjoy what you have because even those who have suffered have found the way to live and enjoy life. Never give up, Isabel.

I've felt this way before. In fact, I've gone into some deep-ish depression because of that among other things. You gotta keep in mind that everything you do, good or bad, big or small, affects others. For instance, one of my sister's old friends, who I haven't seen or talked to in a long time, has a little brother. His family went to one of my ice hockey games (when I still played hockey). He soon started to play it and became very good. Recently, I went on Twitter and stumbled upon my sister's friend's account. She had posted something about her little brother winning a hockey tournament, and I thought to myself, "I had a major part in this role." I might not have known it, but something I did, not even directly, played a big role in his life. Taylor.

Well-known feeling here, too.

But think about this: they pay a price for being famous.

They have less private life than "normal " persons. Who does really know if they are REALLY happy when they are out of the spotlights ?

I guess everyone in the world has his own part in the world and a life-task and you have to find it..maybe you will search all your life for it.

But I don't think that your life will be less significant. You can have fun with your family & friends and for someone you love and who loves you back you will always be ( one of ) the most important person (s). Success has many faces .

Search for little luck instead of waiting for big luck, my Grandma always told me.

All the best. Maren.

First of all what I wanna say to you is be your self and try to get things out of your life for the best. You are already amazing without being famous, and being jealous is the worst thing. It looks like you aren't happy with your self. Try to find your own luck, you can do it.

I think it's not everything to being famous it's really hard work. Got one more thing to say, live your own life, take it with your both hands because there's only one you! Take care and good luck! Greetzz Marianne.

First of all, you don't sound weird or dumb Gabby no worries. I think almost everyone has a period in their lives where they wish they were famous. Keep in mind though that fame doesn't necessarily equal happiness. On TV and in front of the cameras Lorde and Harry Styles may seem very happy and awesome, but that doesn't mean everything is always going well for them. Take Robin Williams for example. On TV he was always funny and seemed to be doing great, but in real life he was depressed and not happy with his life at all. Maybe you can't do the exact same things they do, but that doesn't mean your life can't be significant or awesome. Life is what you make of it. We can't all be famous, but we can definitely all be awesome and enjoy what we do have! Good luck! Amanda.

Ps: It's never to late to have a go at stardom if you really want to.

6 October 2014 / submitted by Georgie, United Kingdom

Q. Recently I bought a Yellow EP, with a cardboard case, with the words 'your skin and bones turn into something beautiful' on the inside front cover. However other people seem to have a plastic case version of the same EP? Why was there two different versions?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

If it is indeed an official item, I would imagine you have a promo single, not an E.P, though I have never seen one fitting that description. I've seen a promo in a yellow card sleeve but nothing gatefold, that opened up.

6 October 2014 / submitted by Isabelle, Netherlands

Q. Dear Oracle,

I think everyone who bought Ghost Stories can agree with the following: Midnight is a very unique song. I didn't knew any other artists who made music in Midnight's style. A few days ago I noticed that Jon Hopkins' music does sound a bit like Midnight. So, was Midnight inspired by Jon Hopkins, or did Coldplay really create a new 'style' on its own?

Isabelle, Netherlands

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's not a new style; Jon nor the band invented it but the ambient Midnight was based upon a previously unreleased song - Amphora - and another track both written by Jon. He's a highly talented fella & we love him.

ctober 2014 / submitted by Ethan, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle!

I hope that you have been doing well lately!

I was listening to the song Low and during I believe before the 2nd verse there appears to be a metallic sound in the background. Can you tell me more about that sound?

Thanks so much, I really enjoy looking at your responses everyday!

Ethan:)THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's not metallic; it's actually crystal wine glasses.

7 October 2014 / submitted by Yannick , Mexico

Q. Dear Oracle, in the Parachutes era had be attemped to change the name of Coldplay to another one?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No, in 1998 the band changed their name from Starfish to The Coldplay. By the end of the year, they had dropped "The" and Coldplay was their name. There were no further discussions to change it after that.

7 October 2014 / submitted by Peter, United Kingdom

Q. Hello Oracle,

Is the lyric "Living in Perfect Symmetry" from Low a nod to the Keane album?

Thanks, Peter.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. That would be impossible unless Coldplay had a crystal ball*. Perfect Symmetry by Keane came out THREE years after X&Y.

It's not a unique phrase.

*Crystal Ball was 1 year later than X&Y but couldn't resist.

7 October 2014 / submitted by Diego, Spain

Q. Hi Oracle! I have finally completed my Coldplay CD collection, but somehow I feel like it's not enough. I know you have been asked a lot about this kind of songs, but could you please write a list with all the B-sides and unreleased songs ever recorded by the band? Thanks a lot, and please continue supporting us "best fans in the world" with your awesome help for a looong long time!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

B sides are listed with the singles in our Recordings section along with all other official releases. There are a few EPs that may be hard to come by these days (due to being limited in number) but I'm afraid your coveted collection may always remain incomplete. Unreleased tracks aren't supposed to be available which is why I won't list them. There are LOTS but I've seen a pretty comprehensive list online elsewhere so you'll be able to find out what they are even if you won't be able to get hold of a copy.

October 2014 / submitted by Anthony, United States of America

Q. Why does Chris have a piece of tape covering the Air Jordan logo on his sneakers while performing? THE ORACLE REPLIES >

That must have been for a TV performance. Some channels have stringent advertising policies and won't show labels or logos in case it's seen as promotion. Not that Chris is endorsing a brand but as some companies pay for such exposure, it's not wise for the TV stations to have product placement.

8 October 2014 / submitted by Lauren, United States of America

Q. Helloooo Dearest Oracle,

Next year as you know is the 15th Birthday of Parachutes. Any chance of a greatest hits tour? 15 years of Coldplay. Is this something the band has even talked about or considered? Would be a grand idea in my opinion.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Fifteen years, blimey! I always think that Greatest Hits feels like a finale. It's not really the band's style to do a tour just of greatest hits; there'll be new music to play when they next hit the road, with some hits thrown in.

8 October 2014 / submitted by Chris, United Kingdom

Q. During the X & Y era, Penny Howle (tour photographer?) took photos of Coldplay. I have recently obtained one of these photos which is signed by all of the Coldplay members. Apparently Coldplay sent these to fan's upon request, some of which are even personalised. Can you confirm this is true? It would help all of us budding collectors out there! Thanks Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Penny was the tour photographer and I know the photo - I have it right here. There were signed photos but very few would have been personalized. Even back in 2005, the demand for photos was high and it wasn't possible to dedicate them individually. There are some forgeries out there but hopefully yours is genuine.

9 October 2014 / submitted by Lea, Germany

Q. Hello lovely Oracle,

I have a question to an unreleased song called Wedding Bells Chris played on an Apple Event once. Some people in the internet say that it became UFO, some others say it became Christmas Lights. What is true?

Thanks for your help, greetings from Germany! :)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I don't really hear any resemblance between Wedding Bells (2009) and UFO (2011) but I can certainly hear similarities to Christmas Lights (2010). Before the Apple event in 2010, a clip of Wedding Bells appeared in 2009 on The South Bank Show.

It's not that Wedding Bells "became" another song but it was a work in progress and elements lyrically & sonically ended up being incorporated into Christmas Lights.

9 October 2014 / submitted by Andreia, Brazil

Q. Have Coldplay ever been hypnotized before recording a song? I've heard about that before but I'm not sure if it's true.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's true but it wasn't before one particular song; it was during the Viva recording sessions.

Here's what Jonny & Chris said about it.

JB: "Brian Eno knew a hypnotist and we thought it might get some interesting results. We all went upstairs, sat down, and he walked around us. He got us into some strange kind of trance, and we came down and played some more."

CM: "Quite a long time, I think. It did work, actually. We came up with a lot of interesting noises, which we used. I think the whole process of getting our own place and working with Brian has been really liberating for us. Because it was starting to become a little difficult to be in Coldplay - there's so much opinion, expectation, and criticism. We wanted to be free from that for a bit, to try things and just be a little group, which Brian really spearheaded. So things like the hypnotism, all these little crazy experiments that he tried with us was just an effort to say, 'It's OK. Not everybody hates you because you're in Coldplay. Just play some music and don't worry about it.'"

Chinese Sleep Chant has been mentioned as a song written after the experience but I can't confirm that.

10 October 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 16 October.

In the last months my life seems to be a bit flat. I often feel sad, weak, empty. It's like something's missing, maybe happiness.

I really need to change the situation because I don't think I would stand it any longer. What can I do?

Ivana, Italy.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

10 October 2014 / submitted by Teresa, India

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #188

Do you have a favourite line of lyrics from any of the Ghost Stories songs? And from any of the other era songs? Is there any particular line that always gets to you?

Thanks in advance if you answer this! Love from India.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

This was such a popular question, Teresa.

It's so hard to look back over 16 years and choose one (as you will see below) so I'll go with the most recent.

The first lyric that popped into my head anyway was "Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie, oh lie to me". The first time I heard that, it punched me in an animated Batman KAPOW painful way (True Love from Ghost Stories).

I've mentioned before that I have always loved, "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop" from Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (MX). It stood out immediately and I can relate to that.

Even though I've had a week to think about it, I'm sure I'll kick myself later when another one comes to mind!

Over to you.

p.s. Teresa herself replied - see further down.

My favourite Lyrics from the GS-Era is from the track Ghost Story, and my favourite line in that song: 'What's the point of feeling love for you when you don't believe I'm here?' Impossible love, a well-known problem.

I think the way Coldplay connects a Ghost to people who are invisible to the person they love, is very cool.

It is my favourite lyrics of all eras, though I also love Viva la Vida's lyrics. It's a lyric about the French Revolution (I think), which is one of my favourite aspects in history. In the French Revolution, the King was dethroned and killed, as well as all the nobility. Most of the stories tell that was good, but Coldplay lyrics shows the 'other side' of the story, in a beautiful way (with some awesome music).

Isabelle, the Netherlands.

Oh dear! Once I laid eyes on this question I couldn't help but think of -not one- but three of the most beautiful Coldplay lines that always get me shivering. One is "I wouldn't change a single thing" in Til Kingdom Come. It reminds me of how I strongly feel about Coldplay. The second line holds a very special place in my heart, since it saved my life from being taken away by myself. This is "I'll start before I can stop, or before I see things the right way up." in Speed of Sound. It made me realise that I hadn't even started living life and already wanted to end it, therefore changing my whole outlook on life. The third and final one, is the short and sweet lyrics to O part 2. "Oh, don't ever let go" I think of it whatever I am stressed or angry and it hits me so hard and makes me feel much stronger. I have so many more tales I can tell, due to Coldplay speaking in such metaphors that explain everything I go through in the journey of life. Due to bounds being put, I can only tell those. Stay lovely! Solaf.

On Ghost Stories, I have so many favourite lines I couldn't possibly list them all. But a few include, Ink, "Just want a way of keeping you inside;" True Love, "Remember once upon a time/ When I was yours and you were blind/ A fire would sparkle in your eyes/ And mine;" A Sky Full of Stars, "I don't care, go on and tear me apart;" and the entire song of Always in my Head.

Sorry I couldn't be more accurate, but it's just that I love Coldplay and every song line that comes with them. Victoria.

Last year was my first year away from home at college, and I was feeling really torn up and homesick about it when I heard Midnight for the first time. 'Millions of miles from home' really summed up how I felt then, but it made me feel so comforted and secure to hear 'Leave a light on' because I know I'll always have a loving home to go back to. Emily.

My favorite line is the one out of Magic. "Call it magic, call it true, when I'm next to you." This is the way I feel when our son Jazz was born. It felt like magic!

Love from the Netherlands, Samantha.

Yes I actually do have a favorite line from Ghost Stories Album. It's "I still believe in Magic, Yes I do, of course I do." Because I do believe that anything is possible and everything can happen if you have Determination and Positivity and all that. But the lyric that always gets to me is from "EVERY TEARDROP IS A WATERFALL" still from Coldplay, and it goes like this. "I feel my heart stop beating to my favorite song". I think you already know the answer why this is my lyric feels. Since I'm a huge fan of Coldplay and a music enthusiast every time I hear them (Coldplay or to "my other" favorite Bands e.g. Coldplay) on radio or see them on MTV or other music channels. I always feel like my heart skips a beat or (exaggerated may it seem) will pop out over my chest. So yep, I hope this answers your question. Wish you the best! :) Love, Shaine from Philippines! x

'Tell me you love me; if you don't, then lie.'

This reminds me of my first relationship and my current one.

I can't begin to describe what emotions are evoked when I listen to True Love: joy, pain, paranoia combined. Orlagh.

The first time I heard Always in my Head, the last lyric stood out to me and made me tear up a little: "This, I guess, is to tell you you're chosen out from the rest." I really love it because I want someone to love me and always think of me like the song says. It just hit close to my heart when I hear it and think that I don't have someone to love me like that yet. But my all-time favorite lyric is from Lovers in Japan because it has been my saving grace on moments where I've felt like there was no hope or happiness: "Dreaming of the Osaka sun... dreaming of when the morning comes." It always reminds me that I have to keep on trying because it will get better.

Love, Jo from the U.S.

Death And All His Friends is the song that pulled me to love Coldplay, and I love the line "no I don't want to battle from beginning to end no I don't want to cycle or recycle revenge no I don't want to follow death and all of his friends"

From Ghost Stories my favorite lyric is "tell me you love me. If you don't then lie. Lie to me" because it has so much emotion. Brooklynn.

My favorite line of lyric of all time has to be "Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart" from The Scientist. It hits home every time I hear it and is the reason that is my absolute favorite song. Sha.

My favorite lyric from Ghost Stories is probably the chorus (I think) from Fly On (O).

'Fly on, ride through, maybe one day, I can fly with you...'

Overall though, I'd have to say Parachutes is my favorite lyric-wise.

'In the haze, in the stormy haze, I'll be 'round, I'll be loving you always, always...' Taylor.

From Ghost Stories my favourite lines are "My body moves, goes where I will / But though i try, my heart stays still" and "Fly on, ride through / Maybe one day I'll fly next to you". There's just something so simple about the lyrics from Ghost Stories that really gets me.

Other than that, I think X&Y is the best album lyrically - I especially love the lyrics from Square One ("Under the surface trying to break through / Deciphering the codes in you"), White Shadows ("You're part of the human race / All of the stars in the outer space"), Fix You ("When you lose something you can't replace"), and Swallowed In The Sea ("And I could write a song / A hundred miles long"). Rhys.

Where do I begin??? One lyric that spoke to me many years ago and was a catalyst for a huge life change, was a line from Fix You, "If you never try, you'll never know just what you're worth". Those lyrics spoke to me and caused me to embark on a path that led to me finding my wonderful husband.

I could go on for an hour about how lyrics have touched me. Every era had lyrics I have loved but more recently ASFOS really came at an opportune time. I had been going through a depression and it honestly felt like a warm blanket around my troubled soul, even now as I face more challenges the line "cause you get lighter the more it gets dark" and "I think I see you" speak to me in dark moments.

It is wonderful to feel connected to such lovely music. I hope it never ends. Laurie.

Speaking about Coldplay lyrics, I want to name Green Eyes song. It is written purely about my feelings to one wonderful girl. In my time of difficulty she became a light I fell in love in, with her beautiful green eyes. No more words, just that I love her. "The green eyes, you're the one I always wanted to find".

Andy, Odessa.

I have so many favourite lyrics lines from every Coldplay Album, it's very hard to choose.

Entire lyrics of Fix You.

"I know that everything's not lost" - Everything's Not Lost.

"Nobody said it was easy" - The Scientist.

"Do you feel like a puzzle?

You can't find your missing piece" - Talk.

"Just because I'm losing

Doesn't mean I'm lost" - Lost!

"When she was just a girl,

She expected the world,

But it flew away from her reach,

So she ran away in her sleep." - Paradise.

"I'd rather be a comma than a full stop " - ETIAW.

"A simple plot but I know one day

Good things are coming our way " - Up with the birds.

"And I call it magic

And I call it true" - Magic.

"Every time I try to walk through walls

More walls appear

What's the point of feeling love for you

When you don't believe I'm here?

What's the point of trying to raise your voice

If no one ever hears?

Every time I try to pull you close

You disappear" - Ghost Story.

"You want to stop before you begin

You want to sink when you know you could swim

You want to stop just before you begin

Never give in; never give in" - Crests of Waves.

"So fly on, ride through,

maybe one day I'll fly next to you" - O.

But one line means soo much to me from Ghost Stories hidden track... DON'T EVER LET GO. When I listened to Chris during Zane Lowe interview, it was very clear to me.

I got a tattoo of these lyrics. Maren, Germany.

I really like the way the line, "Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie" was delivered in True Love, both for what it says and the melody with which it is sung. It really does sting you when you hear that, doesn't it?

My favourite line from all the albums so far though, would definitely have to be:

"Bullets fly, split the sky. But that's alright, sometimes sunlight comes streaming through the holes."

I've easily listened to this song at least 70 times and it still gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to that part. What an incredible line!

Having said that, I think X & Y and Viva la Vida were the two albums where I saw Coldplay's lyrical best. Suhit.

"Every one of is scared, everyone of us is hurt. Everyone of us has hope, for you."

For You, Parachutes era.

"Here I am and I'll wait in line, always..."

Parachutes, Parachutes era.

"So I crawl back into your open arms."

Warning Sign, A Rush of Blood to the Head era.

"Give me strength; reserve control..."

Politik, A Rush of Blood to the Head era.

"I tried to sing but I couldn't think of anything."

The Hardest Part, X&Y era. Haya.

"Tell me you love me, come back and hunt me" always gets me because it's so deep and beautiful, and I love it

Bye, Rui.

I threw this question up because one of the big reasons I've always loved Coldplay is their lyrics. Chris consistently manages to come up with the most beautiful metaphors and imagery that somehow describe exactly what someone is going through. You can't help but be moved when the words are so powerful and heartfelt.

Parachutes holds a special place in my heart for the simple and strong message it carries. I also turn to Coldplay's music whenever I want to feel uplifted, or to be filled with hope, and the lyrics do just that: "...I came here with a load, and it feels so much lighter now I met you..." from Green Eyes, and this line from Amsterdam: "...stood on the edge, tied to the noose, you came along and you cut me loose..." That one is like a gut-punch every time I hear it.

My all-time favourite lyrics, however, are from Moving to Mars. It's just one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

"Somewhere up above the stars

The wreckage of a universe floats past

Somewhere up above my heart

A tiny little seed is sown, a government is overthrown,

Who knows when we'll be coming home at last..."

Thanks to everyone who shared their favourite lyrics!

Love from India, Teresa.

My most favourite line of lyrics from a Coldplay song are the last lines from Amsterdam:

"Stood on the edge, tied to the noose.

You came along, and you cut me loose."

Two years ago I felt really depressed, I lost my mom due to cancer, and I just didn't know what to do with myself.

Until I met the love of my life, my girlfriend. She managed to pull me through it, and I think this song really describe that

feeling that I felt. And she's from Amsterdam so that's really cool!

I want to thank Saja, my girlfriend, for being there for me, and Coldplay, for making such beautiful music!

Greetings from the Netherlands! Bram.

That's a great question you asked, it's interesting to see what words move several people living in separate places. But it's hard to choose though.

I can't have a favourite Coldplay song or line because they all have a special meaning to me, but here are three that always make me stop and (re)think:

"Lovers keep on the road you're on, runners until the race is run" - Lovers in Japan.

"All you ever wanted was love but you never looked hard enough"- Low.

"Still I always look up to the sky, pray before the dawn" - O.

Although they come from different eras they can kinda be connected through the same idea (at least for me):

If you want to achieve something, never lose trust or faith, and keep in mind that everything worth having requires time and work, nothing is free and God-given. Sometimes you can be sad and lost, and you may think that everyone is against you, but it's you who's creating your life and your path. And if you choose a path, if you have a dream, then stick to it and do anything to make it possible ("until the race is run") because there is no greater feeling than accomplishing something you've worked on hard and creating something that didn't exist before. The line from O is to wrap it all up with freedom-live and let live, let go, have hope and remember: "Suffering teaches sweet understanding".

Sajra, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Oh absolutely there are so many Coldplay lyrics that hold special meaning to me. Here are just a few...

Ink's "Just wanted a way of keeping you inside."

Speed of Sound's "How long do I have to climb up on the side of this mountain of mine."

White Shadow's "Maybe you get what you wanted. Maybe you'll stumble upon it. Everything you've ever wanted in a permanent state. Maybe you'll know it when you see it. Maybe if you say it you'll mean it and when you find it, you'll keep it in a permanent state."

Gravity's "And then I looked up at the sun and I could see, oh the way that gravity pulls on you and me. And then I looked up at the sky and saw the sun, and the way that gravity pushes on everyone... on everyone."

Shiver's "I know you don't listen to me cause you say you see straight through me, don't you?"

Hurts Like Heaven's "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven."

Clock's "Confusion that never stops. The closing walls and the ticking clocks are gonna come back and take you home and I couldn't stop that and you now know.."

Much love, Miranda.

My all time favourite lyrics are "Is there anybody out there who is lost and hurt and lonely too, are they bleeding all your colours into one?"

When I'm feeling wrecked and useless and unwanted they remind me that I'm not alone in how I feel and that there are always people out there who understand, I just need to reach out to the right people. Sam.

Always In My Head's first few lines somehow seemed to work with how I was feeling when I first heard it...

"I think of you, I haven't slept, I think I do but, I don't forget".

Thanks, Marcus.

My favourite still is and always will be: "If you never try, you'll never know just what you're worth" from Fix You(X&Y). It reminds me that sometimes you have to dare to take risks in order to grow or move forward in your life. It's a bit similar to "start as you mean to go on" from A Rush of Blood to the Head, which reminds me that if I want to achieve a certain goal, I'll succeed if I put all my effort in it and try my very best from the beginning. I know that doesn't always make sense, cause some goals you do achieve and others you don't, but I like to think positive everytime I start something new. There are a lot of great quotes in Coldplay songs, my favourite from Ghost Stories is probably: "In the darkness before the dawn, leave a light on" from Midnight. Amanda.

One song that has always struck a chord with me is "In My Place," as it perfectly describes a time in my life where things were not going okay. Basically, I was in a job situation where I was treated unfairly and somewhat persecuted for reasons that I still am not sure about. Then, in my desperation I found that I was indeed "scared, tired and under prepared," and indeed, "lost." I was trying to hold onto something that was slipping out of my hands. Eventually, despite harassment complaint and having a lot of colleagues speak on my behalf I was released. I exited with grace but I was lost for a long time. I went for a walk one day when I first discovered Coldplay and "In My Place," came on and it really resonated with me. That was me and how I felt. The words fit the situation perfectly for me and the way the music intertwined with my emotions was amazing. I used to listen to the song and walk on shores of Lake Superior and it was then I felt like I was able to identify my feelings, my situation and the song provided me with reassurance. This is why I still to this day love and listen to Coldplay. There are many other songs by Coldplay that hit me the same way. But there will always be a "place" for me in that song, even though I have moved on. By Marcia in Duluth, MN.

I'll choose two lines of lyrics one from Ghost Stories and the other from Mylo Xyloto. The first one is taken from O. 'Don't ever let go' is the kind of message everyone should take into account in their lives. It reminds me I have to work hard to make my wishes come true because it doesn't matter how difficult it seems as long as I fight for it I'll get what I want. The second one is from Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. The first two songs I listen to by Coldplay being aware of who they are, were Paradise and ETIAW. There were other songs I listened to but I wasn't that real music fan who paid attention to radio songs and their singers as I'm now. So when I listened to ETIAW it made me think about what I wanted to achieve in my life. Specially, the line 'I rather be a comma than a full stop' had a big impact in the way I was setting my goals. It seems we're leaving in a world where power, money and intolerance are the most important things to succeed. That's something I don't want around me; I believe love and happiness will be near as long as you give it without asking for it. I'm not sure about the meaning of the lyrics as I'm not an English speaker but every time I listen to it I know I want to be more than a girl who wants to succeed. I want to be someone who shows that happiness can be found in the simplest things and that brings hope and peace for everything we do.

Be a comma and don't ever let go, Isabel.

"I'd rather be a comma than a full stop" - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall / Mylo Xyloto. Ozlem.

Always In My Head feels so personal, like Chris sings it right to me and no one else. "This, I guess, is to tell you you're chosen out from the rest..."

Lyrics from O makes me think of my father. He died in a drowning accident in 1996. I miss him very much but I am sure that we will meet again when it is time for me to say good bye to this world.

"So fly on

Ride through

Maybe one day I'll fly next to you

Fly on, ride through

Maybe one day I can fly with you"

Paradise reminds me of my childhood when I used to fly away in my thoughts and dreams.

"When she was just a girl

She expected the world

But it flew away from her reach

So she ran away in her sleep

Dreamed of para- para- paradise

Every time she closed her eyes"

Talk has followed me a long time. Especially when I was younger and felt insecure.

"Are you lost or incomplete?

Do you feel like a puzzle, you can't find your missing piece?

Tell me how do you feel?

Well, I feel like they're talking in a language I don't speak

And they're talking it to me"

And finally, the brilliant lyrics from Fix You's 1st verse & chorus.

Love, Ann-Sofie, Sweden.

All of Viva La Vida. #inspired

Branwen.

I have a special feeling for Amsterdam because the melody is so beautiful and mean a lot to me. The line "Come on, oh my star is fading and I swerve out of control" reminds me when I was about 11 years old and those years I had so many family problems including my parents yelling to each other every single day and then getting separated (they got together again later) and as a child I always felt so lonely and helpless. I don't remember how many times I lock myself in the bathroom to cry and the only thing that made me feel better was listening to this song. The piano and Chris voice was so relaxing that somehow it's like the song was telling me "calm down, it's going to be okay". I love it so much, it really means everything to me and I hope one day I could see them live playing it. This is why I love this band so much! Please tell them to never stop doing such beautiful songs as Amsterdam. Daniela, Chile.

13 October 2014 / submitted by Christien , United States of America

Q. During the small Ghost Stories tour, Coldplay had their old keyboard standing in the middle of their sets. Is there a reason they do that? Thanks again.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There's nothing on stage that they don't use - except when the set list is changed last minute. For example, when the band played the Enmore Theatre in Australia, the Reactable etc. were set up but they didn't have time to perform Midnight - in lieu of the Kylie duets - so the equipment wasn't used.

13 October 2014 / submitted by Pablo, United States of America

Q. Hi dear Oracle!

Does Ode to Deodorant count as an official Coldplay recording? Because in the recording section of the webpage I couldn't find it.

Thank You!!

Pablo.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. The Recordings section of the site only includes official full releases of singles, E.Ps and albums. Demo recordings don't count - apart from Safety as this was still seen as a professional release despite it being a self-financed / self-released without a label.

13 October 2014 / submitted by Taylor, United States of America

Q. Hey Oracle!

Two questions (the latter formed whilst thinking of the first). One, would you happen to have one of the 500* (I think) copies of the Safety EP? I only ask because of your more than likely closer ties to the band than most people or fans. Two, would you consider Safety EP the hardest Coldplay paraphernalia to get?

*I'd suppose, because it's from their early days when they weren't well known, that some might have not thought it up to par and trashed it (this is a scary thought).

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

One - yes, I do. It's named as a separate item on my home insurance as possibly the single highest value item I own.

Two - Yes, absolutely, due to its limited number. There was only one pressing - unlike the Fierce Panda Brothers & Sisters EP that a had a re-run.

As Coldplay were unknown it may have been "lost" in the great number of demos that DJs, press, label personnel receive but I doubt any would have been thrown away once heard - even by those who didn't love it, including the A&R man who eventually signed them.

Family & friends also got copies but I suspect quite a few went stray one way or another so doubt there are even 500 copies out there.

14 October 2014 / submitted by Millie, United Kingdom

Q. Hey Oracle, I heard that the song The Goldrush all members sing a verse each. Is this true? If so, who sings which verse?

Thank you!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I don't think that's correct. Will sings the first verse, Chris sings the second and Guy & Jonny are singing backing vocals throughout.

I've spoken about The Goldrush before, if you check using the search field on the right.

14 October 2014 / submitted by Andrea, Peru

Q. So I was searching on wikipedia and I take a look of all songs written by Chris... and no! There are a few of Coldplay songs, did Chris writes all the songs or what?

Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I think I understand your question.

Chris wrote all Coldplay songs bar one - Sweet Marianne*, written by Will - though the band all have song writing credits.

15 October 2014 / submitted by Oscar, Mexico

Q. Hello dear Oracle

My question is: is considered Rainy Day a part of Viva La Vida due to the similarity of sound?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Rainy Day was recorded during the Viva la Vida sessions but didn't make it on to the album. Along with other tracks that didn't - but almost did - it featured on the Prospekt's March EP. The EP is like an extension of Viva and the Deluxe Edition actually included Prospekt's March.

15 October 2014 / submitted by Shady, Egypt

Q. Hello Oracle!

I know it may be a bit old, but would the band ever consider recording Sweet Marianne?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I wouldn't think that songs from the past will ever be recorded if they haven't been already. As Sweet Marianne wasn't ever released, it probably won't see the light of day (again).

15 October 2014 / submitted by Michael , United States of America

Q. Hey O. I was curious about what songs the guys have and haven't played live. My question is, what songs haven't the guys played live, ever?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

In a way, it's a lot easier to just tell you what they have played. Here's a comprehensive list and anything not on it, they didn't play ;-)

16 October 2014 / submitted by Patricia, United States of America

Q. Hey Oracle! My burning question is one that involves a boy. I have been dating a boy for about 3 months now, and everything was going along perfectly smoothly. That is until I found out he is still texting with his ex-girlfriend. I am trying to understand, I mean they did date for about 5 years. I don't want to break up with him, but I don't like that he texts her. I asked him to stop and he said that it is part of who he is, he can't just abandon people from his past. What should I do? Thanks for any help! Much love from Texas!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

He's with you, not her, they are ex for a reason. I'm sorry to put this bluntly, you can't expect him to stop doing something because of your insecurities and he's right to refuse. It's your problem, not his. However, if you've explained how you feel, at least he's aware and may be respectful of that because of course, it IS important how you feel.

At least he's not sneaking around behind your back. He's being open about someone he considers a friend. If you can't handle it, you may have to let him go. I'm afraid if you don't find a way to be ok with it, you will drive him away.

Two other things....

I have friends I don't see now because of their partner not allowing it and that's not because of any relationship history. It's very sad but I respect their decision even though I disagree.

One of my friends always remained close with her ex after they split up. They realized they made better friends than partners so much so, she invited him to her wedding!

It can work, just try and find out how it can for you.

16 October 2014 / submitted by Marion, France

Q. Hi Oracle! I would like to ask you a question I hope you can answer. I wanted to know if the guys get their friends and families to listen to their new records before their official release, or if they make them wait like everybody else, maybe to keep some surprise ;)

Thanks a lot!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's not about keeping it as a surprise; it's about sharing and asking for feedback. Family & friends - not a great number of people - are asked for their opinion but the band still don't often invite people to the studio while they are recording. Most songs are fully formed and finished when played to anyone.

16 October 2014 / submitted by Marion, France

Q. Hi Oracle! I would like to ask you a question I hope you can answer. I wanted to know if the guys get their friends and families to listen to their new records before their official release, or if they make them wait like everybody else, maybe to keep some surprise ;)

Thanks a lot!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's not about keeping it as a surprise; it's about sharing and asking for feedback. Family & friends - not a great number of people - are asked for their opinion but the band still don't often invite people to the studio while they are recording. Most songs are fully formed and finished when played to

October 2014 / submitted by Paddy, Ireland

Q. Coldplay how are you? Hope all's well. Quick question, I play a lot of trad folk music. When I listen to you guys especially when you strip the songs down in an acoustic style I get a sense of an Irish folk sound at times. Are you guys influenced by trad? Multiple guitar tunings are used in trad to get that droning sound. Also who is the Christy Moore fan and what is Coldplay's favourite Christy Moore song? Ps loving the new songs! THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I'd say the band are influenced by all genres of music not traditional folk specifically but it's Will who is the biggest Christy Moore fan - always has been.

I'm afraid I don't know which is his / their favourite track but they chose to perform Ride On (written by Jimmy McCarthy) with Christy at Oxegen festival back in 2011.

17 October 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 23 October.

Well, from all this year I have feel so alone, like literally alone because maybe don't like me or because I am different but I really don't know a main reason of why people around me treat me so in this bad way, including my family.

I feel like the the stupid girl everyone knows and ignores and they make joke on me and insult me and if I do something like for defending myself they over attack and shout at me and make me feel so sad. I have to hold all these feeling until I arrive home and lock on my bathroom and cry, because if I cry in my room my grandma and sister will see me and will make fun of it. Sometimes I talk about that with my grandma who I have live with her since I moved to Ecuador (I born in Brooklyn NY but all my family are from Ecuatorians) and tell her that please don't act that way that she is like a mom but the only thing she reply me is "I am not your mom, your mom is dead, if you don't like it here, the door are all the time open for you to leave." And it is horrible because she was my mom's mom and that is really horrible.

I don't have a close friend to talk about this because every person I have met on school had treat me bad and ignores me and I am always trying to be kind at them. I feel hated and I don't know why.

Thanks God this is my last year of High School and I am going to try to walk away from people who are like that to me but I can't go away from my house and go to another country because I am scared to death that while the time I am in another country my grandma die and I won't be able to be with her. This can be strange because of the way she is to me but anyway I love her and I would consider myself a monster if I am not with her until her last days.

So, I know this is really confusing but I really feel lost. Moving with my dad to NY would be worse. I feel that no one understands me. The only person I kinda trust is my sister but like I said before, she later makes fun of me and that makes me feel so miserable with life.

Karolyn, Ecuador.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

17 October 2014 / submitted by Ivana, Italy

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #189

In the last months my life seems to be a bit flat. I often feel sad, weak, empty. It's like something's missing, maybe happiness.

I really need to change the situation because I don't think I would stand it any longer. What can I do?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I don't want to diagnose you because I haven't got enough information to go off and I'm not qualified to. It sounds like you're going through a slump but perhaps you should speak to your doctor in case there are underlying health causes (a blood test could eliminate certain things for example) or maybe you're suffering with depression.

As I'm sure I have said before, sometimes when there are few things going wrong in life, it is quite easy to then add other things to that list so it appears everything is in a negative state. Try to look at individual parts of your life and find the positives.

If you have a job you hate - change it. If you have friends who bring you down - change them. If you're in a relationship you're not happy in - get out of it.

What I'm trying to say is you can change some things. You may not know how to change things but if you know what needs changing, that's a start.

If you think you do know deep down what the problem is but don't know how to fix it, try talking to someone. I always find speaking out loud - even to myself - helps work out any issues.

If you can book an appointment with a counsellor.

Surround yourself with people you like and do things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied. Read, write, listen to music and get in touch with your inner thoughts & emotions.

Keep hydrated, eat well and take regular exercise to keep your body healthy and active. Exercise will also help produce endorphins that are known to promote positive feelings.

You could also try something new, start a challenge, get involved in a project, support a cause close to your heart. They could all be great ways to inspire and motivate you.

I hope that helps.

Over to you.

I used to feel the same way in the summer of 2012 after the Olympics ended. I felt that there is nothing to enjoy at all so I started picking up an instrument and play. Point I'm trying to make is that if you feel quite free or vacant you may pick up something to learn, for instance an instrument or learn languages or a sport and try to kill the barriers if you're shy. Try to get out in the open to a place you frequently go to and make friendships. It helped me so much.

Best of luck. Erin.

Ivana, you should listen to Charlie Brown an be a cartoon heart! Heidi.

It's hard to find something to say because I don't know what's your specific problem. It depends on your age. If you're a teenager I probably know how you feel, I'm 20 and I finished school two years ago but while I was a student I always felt like that, especially my last two years in school, that's when you feel the pressure of everyone around you trying to you to make the right decision and you don't know what to do with your life. My advice to every teenager out there feeling like this, is to take a year after school to have some extra time to just being with yourself, to find a small job (to know how is it to have real responsibilities and to learn how to save money). After that year I promise, you will know what you really want to do because you won't feel the pressure everyone on school was putting on you. If you're an adult, I encourage you to talk to someone close about it, and maybe make some little changes on your life, changing your everyday-routine, going for a walk, adopt a pet, meet new people, read books of your interest, maybe find a new job, maybe you work too hard that it is taking your free time away (and your happiness). You will see how things get better. Daniela, Chile

I can relate to that in a very strong manner. About two months ago and every now and then I feel this way. Sometimes it's just stress. If so I just try to distance myself as much as possible from all potential stress and soon it vanishes. But sometimes it really isn't that simple. I then find myself on a quest for happiness, looking at the glass half full even when there isn't one, trying to imagine all the positive things about life in the worst situations and trying to understand confusing realities. Sometimes it helps to let all my feelings go, either by drawing or singing along with my favourite Coldplay songs, whatever makes me happy. Look at life in a beautiful manner, try to shred whatever makes you sad and let the ribbons drift for all to see. Think about everything as a reason to smile and let those negative feelings go, they won't help you at all. I hope you are able to see life the way everyone should see it, in beautiful colour. Solaf.

It's hard to answer this without knowing more about you, Ivana, but you just have to follow your passion! Chase whatever it is that ignites that little spark in you. And if you're like me and don't know exactly what that is yet, go out and find it! Try new things, go to new places, meet new people, eventually we'll stumble upon something great! Sam.

Sometimes, all we need is just to release what's on our mind. Just do your best, and never expect for the best result. When there's no hope, there's no disappointment. So then you're on your way to become a free soul. Sarah.

It seems to me that you may feel as though your life is missing meaning. Don't worry, dearest, everyone goes through that feeling at least once in their life. Sometimes it feels as though you're trapped on the forest floor even though you want to be soaring high above the trees. Sometimes in life we forget to see the beauty and wonder that lies on the forest floor.

Even in the quiet, still moments, life can still hold meaning, we just may have to search harder to find it. If it's happiness you're after, seek happiness in the little things as well as the big ones. Life gives us little gifts to get us through the day, but we have to choose to receive them. If you find that you no longer have any happiness around you, look harder. Maybe it's in your favorite outfit, a little mug of tea, a favorite place to go, or a special movie that you love. Rather than saying, "There is nothing around me that makes me happy," find those things that do make you happy and focus all of your energy on them.

Sometimes we also get stuck in a rut of feeling like we aren't doing anything meaningful with our lives. If you feel that way, reevaluate your life. Are you doing what you love? Is it fulfilling to you? If the answer is no, then seek something that does feel meaningful. That could change your entire life.

Live well, Ivana. Brooke.

Do you have a roof over your head? Food? Water? Good. This should make you happy instantly.

For being sad, weak and empty and missing something I can only tell, now that we know and you know, you can't unknow it!

Be present to life, what it offers you. It is the little things. Often we have too much, think too much, do too much. Let go. Do what you like. Smile. Laugh. Love. Sing. Dance.

Life is endless. Live it now! Take care. Be well! Tanja.

You say that you need to change a situation. It's good that you ask for advice and that is one important step. But first of all, you have to WANT to change a situation. That desire and decision you need to put into yourself. When you decide to work for it, things will going to change. Maybe you should start with some steps: - write on a paper WHAT is really missing? (health, job, friendship, love relationship, courage, marks at school/university, self-confidence, communication with parents ect.)

When you define things, here comes the next step: WHEN did it start?

WHY it is happening to you; try to find some reason for missing a thing or having a problem.

Then try to write POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS for your problem: who can you talk to (family, friends, professional help) and what you can do by yourself.

Without defining a problem it is difficult to change it. Always believe it is possible to change and have a beautiful life filled with joy and happiness. "Don't panic, everything's not lost."

Wishing you all the best, Kamili from Croatia.

I can relate to your feelings, cause I am going through hard time last months too. I often think I couldn't stand it any longer. What helps me is listening a lot to Coldplay . Searching happiness in simple things of life like sitting / walking in the sun, swimming, meeting & talking friends, laughing whenever I can. I tell myself sun will shine again some day. You only can get stronger going through this hard time.

It's often beyond your power to change a difficult situation, you only can try to do the best of the situation. Step by step.

Good luck !! Love from Germany, Maren.

First of all you should try and find out what changed. Why does your life feel flat now and why do you feel sad now? You say you've been experiencing these feelings for a few months, which means you haven't always had them. What did you do before that made you feel happy about your life, that you've now lost? A lot of people feel the way you do because they're 'stuck'. They've been doing the same things/routines for years and are not really living the life they'd hoped for. If that's the case, the best thing to do is break the routine. Find something you like and are passionate about. Have you always wanted to learn how to play the guitar? Get guitar lessons. Join a sports club, try to meet some new people. There's got to be something you'd really love to do, no matter how silly or impossible it may seem, don't ignore your feelings. Doing something you actually like will bring you happiness and before you know it those sad and empty feelings will go bye bye. Good luck! Amanda

The first thing you need to do is get reflective on recent events in your life and define how you feel about them. Have recent events been pleasant or did something happen that set you back? Also determine your overall level of satisfaction in your personal life and your work life. Do you spend time with friends? If so, do you feel included, valued and genuinely cared for? Also, if you are in a relationship, are you happy with them? Do you find more positives than negatives? Also, regarding you work life do you feel like someone at your job cares about you? Do you feel that you receive adequate recognition for doing your job? After you have done this, you will have identified some aspects of your life that that may be bringing you down. Then it is time to take action. If your friends are bringing you down either tell them or forget about them. If your relationship is more like a life sentence than sharing a life. Move on. If your work and work place don't make you happy or feel important. Make a move or take action. Feedback to others is key. Openness and candor are important. If thoughts, feelings and opinions are not shared...then nobody knows what you need, feel or want. Quite honestly, if you don't put anything out there you will not get anything back. That in itself can make you feel blah. If you think that you may be depressed... talk to your doctor. The strongest people are the ones who actually ask for help... you posted to us now "post" to yourself and those with whom you care to inform. Take care. Marcia.

20 October 2014 / submitted by Tricia, United Kingdom

Q. Mabuhay from Philippines, O!

I hope you're grand. :) Anyway, I have a question. I've been playing the QuizUp app and took the Coldplay quiz. There's this one question that says "which among these is Coldplay's music album?" I didn't get it right because I am not sure if Coldplay has released a Christmas album, all I know is that they released Christmas Lights and it was only available through digital download. Is there anything I'm missing?

Tricia.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There has never been a Christmas album; only a single - Christmas Lights.

I don't follow any Coldplay quizzes so without seeing the exact question / possible answers myself, I can't be more specific.

If you check the Recordings section, you can see all the official releases.

20 October 2014 / submitted by Natalia, Mexico

Q. Hello Oracle!

First of all, thank you for existing. My question is, How can I get over my computer obsession? I spent like 5 or 6 hours just sitting in front of my laptop and I do have things to do but I get easily distracted and is ruining my school life. Thank you :)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's increasingly difficult to put technology down these days. Many of us have smartphones, tablets, laptops that we're practically permanently attached to. Whether we're messaging, surfing, playing games, emailing or watching / listening to media it's a very technology driven world.

The only suggestion I have is to practice the discipline of switching off & concentrating on the task at hand.

Timetable your day and incorporate laptop free time. I also find it hard to not check my phone when I get a new notification or I want to check something that crops up in conversation etc. but it's habit. I have started to get into a new habit of putting my phone into airplane mode, or mobile calls only or switching to silent, especially when I'm with friends. It can be really anti-social when someone is fiddling on their device while you're trying to have a real life moment. I find it incredibly rude.

If you need your laptop for schoolwork, try to wean off the distractions. Like any addiction, you will probably find it too hard to stop immediately.

Maybe you can set an alarm so that every hour or two, you can have 10 minutes of surfing the web within your work session. Use it as a reward system. Once your schoolwork is done, your treat is surfing time.

If there are things you have to do that are away from home, try to sometimes leave your laptop / technology at home. If not, turn the power off and put it out of sight.

The more you do something, the easier it becomes.

20 October 2014 / submitted by Juan, Argentina

Q. Hi there Oracle! First of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write back to us every day, I really enjoy reading this section. So here is my question: who plays the instruments that the guys don't play on the live performances? Or do they have a pre-recorded track for those instruments? Thank you! I hope you come to Argentina soon!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They're pre-recorded with the exception of Matt McGinn playing guitar from off stage on occasion. Notably during Yellow on a tour that Chris put his guitar down in favour of hands-free.