✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

3 July 2014 / submitted by Abe, United Kingdom

Q. Hi,

What was the set list for the two Albert Hall shows?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The set list was the same for both shows:

Always in My Head

Charlie Brown

Paradise

Magic

Clocks

The Scientist

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Til Kingdom Come

Don't Panic

Everything's Not Lost

Ink

True Love

Viva La Vida

Midnight

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

Encore:

Oceans

A Sky Full of Stars

Fix You

3 July 2014 / submitted by J, Brazil

Q. Dear O,

Now that the scheduled gigs are over, can we say that the Ghost Stories Era is over? Should we wait for the next one or there are still things coming from GS?

Thank You!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Let's not be too hasty, the ASFOS E.P was only out on Sunday! The tour may be over but the era isn't.

3 July 2014 / submitted by Paige, Australia

Q. Dear Oracle,

I was just reading through your latest questions when I noticed one remarking on how Jonny had sung Don't Panic.

I'm not quite sure where this person seen it but I was wondering if you know where I could see it?

It's really cool to see some of the other band-members take lead once in a while!

Thankyou Oracle

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I think you have misunderstood. Jonny didn't sing the whole song, he sang the part he always does (second verse).

The question yesterday was about the first night at the Royal Albert Hall (1 July). They didn't see it; they heard it on the radio. The show was broadcast live as both myself & Anchorman posted.

4 July 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 10 July.

I've been having a problem lately saying what I have been wanting to say for a very long time. I will get close to saying what I need to say to certain people in my life (friends, family, past flames, etc.) but at the last moment my mind stops me, like it's the wrong thing to do. I've been wanting to spill all of my thoughts into the open about how I have been miserable without certain people there as friends in my life and how maybe I need more help with sorting out my feelings, but when I get close to writing it all down or leaving messages on their phones, I see how happy they are without me in their lives and I just, I don't want to feel like I am ruining that. What do I do? Do I spill the beans to stop being miserable or do I let them be happy and go on with their lives? I wish I could let all of this go but it's just a difficult concept. Thank-you for taking the time to read this because I really appreciate it. Tyler.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Please email your replies to [email protected]

Including your twitter address may result in a follow back.

4 July 2014 / submitted by Laine, United States of America

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #175

I've gotta admit I am kind of depressed right now. You see, I have a huge crush on this guy, and well, he is soooo out of my league. He plays tons of sports. And here I am. I have cerebral palsy. It isn't severe, but it's enough to make me different. Noticeably different. And I feel like nobody is ever going to love or want me because nobody wants someone with a disability. How do I move on? I just feel ugly and unwanted.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I don't really subscribe to the theory of someone being out of your league. Anyone who thinks they're "punching above their weight" or "did well" is usually referring to aesthetics and attraction isn't always just about the physical.

I also think that - thankfully - there are people in this world who see inner beauty rather than the facade.

The world is full of people and of course not everyone we fall for is going to feel the same. Love isn't always reciprocal but it's worth finding out.

Personally, I don't believe in "the one". There's someone for everyone. I actually think it's possible to have more than one someone for everyone. Whether it's Ms./Mr. Right or Ms./Mr. Right Now, it's a journey so enjoy the ride.

If you like this guy, make friends with him (if you're not already), get to know him, be yourself and try to put your differences out of your mind.

We're all unique regardless of how that manifests itself. Embrace your differences. Work on your self-esteem and what you feel you have to offer. Focus on the positive because one thing I can almost guarantee, negativity isn't attractive to anyone - hot sporty boy or not.

Once you feel good about who you are, anyone will be lucky to be with you. Good luck, Laine.

Over to you.

I understand how crushing on someone feels. You want to be everything he/she wants. And more than often , you're not exactly. It is both a gift and a curse to develop feelings for someone. A gift because it gives us a sense of being alive and humane , someone to look forward to seeing everyday, and a curse because it hurts not having your feelings returned. I'm deeply sorry about your condition ,but I'm not sorry about the way you feel about yourself, because it's plain wrong to think of yourself that way. What you need now , than more negativity , is a positive outlook in life , and confidence. I believe if you're a genuinely nice person , you can melt even the toughest hearts, no matter your disabilities. Be patient , and also know that there is always good in the bad. Thomas.

A handicap/disorder does limit you in some situations, that's correct, but it doesn't limit you in love at all. Myself, for example, I have autism. Though I have friends and an almost-relationship (long story).

What I'm trying to say is that a handicap/disorder has nothing to do with true love (wow, Coldplay again). If you really love him, you must go for it.

Goodluck,

Isabelle

I'm not gonna tell you I'm sorry or things like that, even though I really am, but I'm sure you've heard it thousand times in your life and it didn't help you at all. The only thing I'd like to tell you is that simply everything in your life is up to you, no matter what. I understand that life is not fair, we haven't been given the same chances, appearance or personalities, literally every one of us is different. And from my point of view, this is the way we should live our lives, we should use what we've been given, live according to our own rules. There is no point in comparing yourself to others, because you simply cannot be like them and if you stop for a second and think about it, you'll notice that maybe you don't even want to. We all have our own different problems which I think nobody else but us can handle. Make the most of what you've been given, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, it's only up to us what we're gonna let the world see. I think you feel depressed, ugly and unwanted mostly because you see yourself this way. The tricky thing about love is that you always need to love yourself before entering anybody's heart and mind. Discover the strengths you're hiding from the world to be able to fight your daemons. And to that sportsman... maybe he's not only keen on sports. Aneta.

Laine, please, let me tell you one honest thing: that guy is no more than a miserable narcissus. He won't be able to love someone, because he is concentrated on himself. And you put yourself down setting this man like an icon, an idol. The pure natural beauty is designed inside the soul, not in the outer look. But nevertheless, I imagine you like a beautiful girl with warm heart. You deserve someone who can carry you through the long-long life. Only real love is a reason for us to help with the hardest problem ever to the person you shared your heart with. You should wait. Somewhere in the world there is a soul which is your nearest and dearest person. All the Nature's laws pronounce that two souls existing for each other finally come together. When someone will fall in love with you as deeply as Space is, he will accept everything. And what will be your cerebral palsy? Nothing. When you love someone, everything bad fades away. And the world around freezes. Only you both breathe and keep moving. And your hearts are beating like one. That's what is waiting for you right now. Believe me and be strong, little Laine. With huge hugs and many tons of support, Andy. Odessa, Ukraine.

Love has nothing to see with sharing sports and physical attraction... Love is something that belong to our soul.

You are right to be depressed as what you see around you is only exteriority, I am depressed too about it.But there is a positive point about your disability, this will make you to attract only people who care about your interiority and it will avoid you loosing time to misinterpreting love, as happen to the others.

Sure that one day you will find your half soul in the right person, no matter who he is and what he does because he will accept, without any trouble, how special you are and together you will share the real love. Unknown.

PS: I love a man who is not physically here anymore, but this has not changed our love.

I think you are in very bad trouble but, you shouldn't worry. I was in same things with you. I understand your feelings. You have 2 ways for the future.

First Way; "Show Him How Much You Love Him"

Look for chance how can you show him because, Everybody loves interest and love so, if you love him your league and beauty isn't important. You are equal with him. Don't think he is better than you OK?Â

Second Way; "Love Other Guy"

Find your equivalent boy and deal so much to love him. Dream so many good moments with him, you will be lover. This way is easy and you will feel least hurts.

If you ask "Which way did you do?". Before I tried First Way but I failed :-). After I tried Second Way and I succeeded. I have new now and I am very happy.

I hope you will succeed with First Way. If you fail and looking for last hope, listen Death and All His Friends and find that. Bigo.

You are just as beautiful and important in this world as everyone else. Go ahead and talk to this boy! Get to know him, find some mutual interests, and become his friend. You never know what could happen from there unless you try. You may either discover that you have chemistry together or realize he is not as awesome of a guy as you thought he was. Do not get too down if it doesn't work out. It definitely doesn't mean you will never find someone. There are lots of guys out there who would feel lucky to love you. Your disability doesn't define you. You are a person, just like everyone else, made up of many different flaws and strengths that all together create something beautiful. Any good person knows that and will appreciate you for who you really are. Also, if you haven't already, I recommend you read the popular poem Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. Wishing you all the best! Alex, Canada.

Sorry to hear that you are not in a good frame of mind.Â

It seems that you are challenged with a disease that you don't have any control over. That being said, aren't you judging others before they even meet you or get to know you better?

I am sure that you have incredible talents, strengths and interests. What are they? What do you do that is amazing? Share these with people. You want strangers to find a common thread in you, share it. I know it's hard when you are self conscious. Try to be brave and take a baby step. You don't know much about the "crush" guy and you might be surprised to find that he's not as superficial as you might think him to be. Take a leap of faith, you never know till you try.

Do something that surprises yourself. Do something that scares you just a bit.

You might be really surprised at the result. You will find someone who will love you with an open heart and will notice your heart, your mind, your personality not your disabilities.

Don't give up hope, channel your energies. Maybe drop "crush" guy, a card with a note in the mail.

As for your broken heart right now, seek out some unconditional love.

If you have a pet, they'll heal part of your heart and spirit.

You are not alone. Everyone has challenges, some you can easily see, and some you can't.

Wishing you all the best. Be brave. Find hope. Be well. Julie.

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. However, I think you should understand that if someone doesn't love you for who you are, including your disability, then they don't deserve love you at all. I'm sorry that you might not have a chance with this guy, but I promise that there is someone who will love you for who you are. They will love you for yourself, even if it's not this guy. If you want to get over this guy, just stop thinking about him, and it will get easier. Love, Claire, USA.

You are not disabled. You are differently abled. There is a huge difference.

We put people into "leagues". You have to realize that people see us much differently than we see ourselves.

We are our own worst enemies when it comes to seeing our own value and worth.

You have strengths and weaknesses. So does he.

Instead of looking to what you may not be able to do, you need to focus on what you can do and do that.

Love is accepting. If it's not this guy, it will be another. You need to FLY. (First love yourself). Surround yourself with your friends and family. Join teams or groups doing the things that you love. Feel good about the abilities you do have and once you are feeling good, you will trip right over love.

Best regards, Tan.

Nobody perfect in this world. Even me or The Oracle who knows everything (I think I'm wrong, might be). So, let me tell you something about your problem. Well, I felt that everyday with my crush. And I always tell to myself HE NEVER LIKE YOU, FORGET ABOUT HIM' . One day I watched a movie from Thailand. Which the story is kinda same with my story. A girl who looks disability love a boy who plays soccers who is very handsome. The girl always tried to make a boy loves her until the girl want to tell the about her feeling but he already belongs to someone else. But we can see in the end of story that the truth is the boy is already in love with the girl before she make impress him. So, maybe it's gonna be your story. Don't ever stop to love him and be who you are and don't be afraid. Because I know even I can't see you right now I know that you are beautiful and everybody want to be around with a beautiful girl like you.

Love, Dahlia.

Your situation, Laine, is so sad to read, mainly because you feel "ugly and unwanted" due to circumstances beyond your control. I'm sure dealing with any kind of physical condition such as yours will be a lifelong struggle, but the first thing you should recognize is that your impairment doesn't - and shouldn't - define YOU as a person. Don't assume anything, about anyone else, either. Allow the young man to get to know you and take it from there. Unfortunately, you will meet some people who find it hard to deal with your condition, but until you allow them to get to know you, there will never be a chance for anyone to like you - or even love you - for yourself. Aren't we all different in one way or another?

I'm hoping you will speak to the people who monitor your physical disabilities, be it your family, close friends, physicians. If not themselves, they can surely guide you to a professional who can address your emotional troubles. Everyone has an inner beauty - allow it to shine through! You are not ugly - just lacking in confidence and the needed ability to handle social encounters. I know your beauty is just waiting to shine through, so give it a chance.

Blessings, Sandy

Look, to tell you the truth, it doesn't matter if you're noticeably different. Every girl has felt ugly and unwanted at least once in her life. If you weren't as you are, you'd probably have issues with the way you look, or things you say, or anything else !

About this guy - how well do you know him ? You know, a guy is human after all - he will fall in love with a girl he feels good around etc. Keep in mind that relationships never rely on appearances, but on personality! In other words, my advice to you is : keep your faith. You will find somebody worthy of your love, who will love your "differences" and everything else about you. But what's really important is that you find the strength to love yourself, because if you don't, how do you expect someone else to ?

Hope you'll find your prince charming.

Valentine, France.

Lovely One.... 'It's not what you are that holds you back; it's what you think you're not'. D. Waitley. I do not know a Soul that hasn't felt the heart break of a crush. The search for love is timeless; just look at the amount of dating sites and people trying to find that special someone. The secret is... to first find yourself. Loving yourself and getting to know who you are; your talents, gifts, and what you have to bring to this world is the best place to start. As your self-confidence grows your sparkle and beauty will radiate out and that will attract the right person for you.

I work with a man that has cerebral palsy, it is severe. I watch him walk a long hallway to get to his office and see him some times have to use his hands to push on the back of his legs to get his stride going. He is different - he is astounding! I tell you this not as some kind of dramatic comparison - I tell you this because he has a beautiful wife, adorable kids, and humble yet confident aura about him. It is who you are, not how you walk or talk, that is important. Do not settle or put restriction on what is possible for your life. There is someone out there that is meant just for you. There is someone that will look at you and see A Sky Full of Stars.

Be Well-Be Blessed-Be Yourself (everyone else is already taken). Cheers to you, Dani USA.

The first thing that jumped out at me while reading your post was the term "he's so out of my league". While this guy may be active in sports that you are not, this does not put him in a place above you. Dear Laine, though we have never met, I know there is more to you than your disability! What is in your mind and heart is what matters. Now I know our society puts great value in our looks (I get this, I am a middle aged woman!), but I would like you to focus on all the things that you love about yourself, and your uniqueness, and your special qualities that make you you. Remember, there is only one Laine in the world! Don't be hard on yourself. I know the feeling of waking up some days and feeling ugly and insecure. We all have those days. But what gets me through is knowing there is no one out there exactly like me, so I'm going to be the best version of myself that I can be. Best of luck to you Laine. I am rooting for you!

Christine from Tracy, California.

I realize that your situation maybe a little bit different, but I am going to give you the same advice that I give anyone who feels alone or unloved.

Many of us have at one time or another felt unloved, alone or loved another that does not love us. So many times we are told that we will find someone, and just to be patient and wait for it. But maybe we need to re-program how we think about romantic love.

Don't wait for someone to love you. Learn to love yourself. Fill your life with family, friends and things that you love to do and are passionate about. Then, if someone does come along and you fall in love... they will become a part of your happy life and not your whole life that your happiness is dependent upon.

I did a little research and found an article that I think that you would give you some hope. Here is the link. I really like the part called "star-crossed lovers".

Have hope, Dawn.

Thanks to all those who replied to this week's question. Remember, Team Oracle is open to anyone so if you fancy replying, click to read this week's, and send us your answer.

Guest LiquidSky

7 July 2014 / submitted by Tshepo, South Africa

Q. Hello Oracle

On what song does Chris's guitar fly?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Anchorman has been referring to Chris' flying guitar at recent shows and you may have seen the photo I took of it in Paris.

This happens at the climax of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. Chris did this on the MX tour too.

It was quite incredible watching him do it at these more intimate Ghost Stories shows and hoping it landed right on the smaller (than usual stadium) stages.

7 July 2014 / submitted by Maria, Venezuela

Q. Hi Oracle! Just a question: Is there an alternative video for A Sky Full Of Stars?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No, there isn't an "alternative" video - though another video exists. In the case of Violet Hill & Viva la Vida, two videos were shot with the intention of both were released. The ASFOS video shot in Australia is the only one that we'll see.

7 July 2014 / submitted by Andy, United Kingdom

Q. Saw the show at the Albert Hall last night absolutely amazing! Is there anywhere online to buy tour t shirts as we saw fans wearing them but because of catching the train home, we had no time to visit merchandising. Thank you.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I didn't get a chance to check out any of the merchandise. All I can do is direct you to the shop where you can buy official merch.

9 July 2014 / submitted by Danny, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle,

I have just seen your question regarding the fan upgrades at the RAH, luckily me and my friends were lucky enough to have been picked by Dick on the first night, could you please tell him a HUGE thanks from us! Moving onto the question what do these incredible people such as Dick and all of the crew/production team do when the band aren't doing any shows/tours, do they have any influence in the studio?

Thanks!!

Danny! :)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I'm not sure it was Dick that upgraded you on the first night (he may have) as Dan was there. It was most likely one of them.

Neither are studio personnel, no. Dan is the band's trainer and Dick is married to the band's wonderful production assistant. I asked to do it at the Emirates but realized it's only possible at seated venues.

Some crew work with the band in the studio, some go on tour with other bands and some take time off. It depends.

I'll be honest, none of the crew have any real influence in the studio - that's down to the band & Phil. Apart from the time Matt McGinn gave some input to Square One.

8 July 2014 / submitted by Cambell, Costa Rica

Q. Hi. I just love the album art for Ghost Stories created by Mila Furstova. I believe that it really compliments the album and is inspirational. I have read that this website offers a larger digital version of the artwork with the ability of magnify the contents more thoroughly. But I have not been able to find it so I would really appreciate if team oracle could help me. Thanks

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Team Oracle is a separate thing. There is one Oracle - me & the Team Oracle refers to any contributors on a Friday.

Anyway, when the new look website was revealed, we had the album's artwork on the landing page. You can find the hi-res image here where you can indeed zoom in to magnify.

8 July 2014 / submitted by Lestyn, United Kingdom

Q. Hey Oracle!

I was at the the RAH on the 2nd of July, me and my friend sat in our circle seats when a mysterious man came out of nowhere and told us that the band had bought a load of front row tickets and were giving them to hardcore fans. Me and my friend were almost in tears so my question is: who is this man and how can I contact him and thank him?

Thank You!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

As you are (now) aware, the band buy up tickets for the first couple of rows - it's been happening for years. Before the show, a member of the crew or touring party (trainer Dan, family/friends) hunt down die-hard fans and "upgrade" their nosebleed seats to front rows.

At the RAH, the man in question is called Dick and he is a lovely Irish gent.

I shall pass on your thanks to him.

8 July 2014 / submitted by Quinn, Australia

Q. Do you think we could hear Wish I Was Here with the original vocals from Chris. It's an amazing song.

Thanks.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

If such a version exists, it will only be in demo form. This is a collaboration so it was never a Coldplay song before it became what it is. As far as I know, the only song that ever started being performed and heard as a Coldplay song before being recorded and released by anyone else was Gravity (Embrace).

Even when Chris has written or given tracks to other people, I have never heard a version with Chris singing. Lukas (recorded by Natalie Imbruglia) for example, was intended for Viva but I never heard it.

Guest LiquidSky

9 July 2014 / submitted by Liva, Denmark

Q. Dear Oracle!

I saw that The Rolling Stones posted a video on their Instagram account, with Chris who talk about a winner song. The Rolling stones Performed on the Danish festival Roskilde festivalen but was Chris there too?

Thank you for helping me!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The Rolling Stones allowed fans to vote for songs to perform each night on their current tour. Chris announced the winning song for Roskilde Festival and yes, was in attendance to watch the band the day after Coldplay's last RAH show.

9 July 2014 / submitted by Margaret, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle! There was a question answered on July 8th, talking about those upgrades to hardcore fans. How do you identify hardcore fans - lots of Coldplay apparel or what? Thanks for your time.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's not just the clothes but can be - many people wear homemade creations. It's hard to pinpoint but you can always spot the die-hard fans. There's a sense of anticipation and excitement that is palpable.

• 4 weeks later...

10 July 2014 / submitted by Henry , United Kingdom

Q. Hello Oracle

I'm very interested in how many times the band have played Yellow live seeing that's their most played song (probably). How do they play their songs so many times and show so much passion ?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I know it may seem strange to play the same set live every night with the same enthusiasm but the energy from the audience helps. Every night is unique because of that. Plus the band love what they do & rarely play songs they don't like (apart from the when they were split on their love for The Hardest Part).

It would appear Yellow has now been played around 825 times live.

Ooh, happy 14th birthday to Parachutes!

10 July 2014 / submitted by Isaac, United Kingdom

Q. Hey Oracle!

In Us Against the World, who sings backup? He has a really beatiful voice, and should do backup more often.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Will and he does sing a LOT of backing vocals. He sings most of them in fact.

10 July 2014 / submitted by Pedro, Peru

Q. Hi Oracle!

When was the first time that Coldplay performed in Glastonbury? Who was more excited about it?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The band's debut Glastonbury appearance was first on, Sunday 27 June on the John Peel Stage. They were all nervous and excited even though they had a panic situation before they performed.

Jonny: "Our tour manager, Jeff Dray, dropped us off at the wrong site entrance 10 minutes before we were due on stage.

Although the 2 mile run banished our first Glastonbury nerves, I did get a cramp halfway through the set."

Here's the hand-written proposed set list.

It was sunny and therefore Only Superstition was the closer.

The following year, the band played the Other Stage on Saturday 24 June after Toploader and before David Gray. Two years later, they headlined the Pyramid Stage on the Friday night.

11 July 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply. I will be on holiday next week and so you have an extra week to get your replies in.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight (GMT) Thursday 24 July.

I would like to share a problem I have with myself. Right now I'm a school drop out, but I'm going back to school in January and after that I will go to law school. Despite that, I feel quite lost. I don't feel I'm good at something, I don't think I have a talent. I have nobody to talk about this and I was wondering if you can help me with this. Maybe some wise words or a pious lie to make me feel better. Thank you in advance. Danna. U.K.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle.

1 July 2014 / submitted by Tyler, United States of America

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #176

I've been having a problem lately saying what I have been wanting to say for a very long time. I will get close to saying what I need to say to certain people in my life (friends, family, past flames, etc.) but at the last moment my mind stops me, like it's the wrong thing to do. I've been wanting to spill all of my thoughts into the open about how I have been miserable without certain people there as friends in my life and how maybe I need more help with sorting out my feelings, but when I get close to writing it all down or leaving messages on their phones, I see how happy they are without me in their lives and I just, I don't want to feel like I am ruining that. What do I do? Do I spill the beans to stop being miserable or do I let them be happy and go on with their lives? I wish I could let all of this go but it's just a difficult concept. Thank-you for taking the time to read this because I really appreciate it.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Let me start by wishing you a very happy birthday, Tyler! I happen to know it's your birthday so let's hope the advice below will help get the next year off to a good start.

I feel as individuals we have the right to voice our feelings and opinions without retribution. There are sayings such as 'honesty is the best policy' that I do subscribe to. Mind you, they also say 'ignorance is bliss'. The people around you don't know how you feel & it sounds like you don't want to ruin their bliss. It's not healthy to harbour these feelings inside. You need to get them out. I think the key to expressing yourself freely might be to consider the effect your words may have on someone and deliver them accordingly.

Your negative feelings may evoke another's negatives feelings and perhaps that's why you have steered clear of showing them but there are ways of saying things that could avoid any unpleasantries.

It may sound like I am contradicting myself here but what someone else thinks or feels about what you say, is their issue to deal with (and vice versa of course). The most important thing is that you put your point across and are heard.

I think you should unburden yourself but tread gently. Letters can be re-read and taken in uninterrupted but the written word can easily be misinterpreted. I suggest you talk to people face to face. It won't be easy but hopefully you will feel a huge weight has been lifted and continue to speak freely in the future.

Plan what you're going to say (write notes if it helps). Explain that you have something important to convey and if you feel it necessary, warn them that may not like what they hear. Speak slowly and make sure people let you finish before they reply. Listen to their reply and respect their response.

You can't do anything about how your words are taken or how they will answer but the main thing is to be true to yourself.

Over to you.

'If you listen to fear, then you cannot hear your heart'.

On the other side of your fear is everything you want. You just have to listen only to your heart.

We live in a crazy world and the only thing you truly have is your own heart, mind and soul.

If your heart is telling you to contact these people then please listen - this is your duty.

Whilst you may think that your strong desire to make contact is merely for your own benefit, perhaps you also need to consider the greater mystery?

It is a very sad and scary fact - but we never truly know what is happening to someone 'behind closed doors'. Whilst you think that this person seems wonderfully 'content and happy' perhaps they are being forced to hide their suffering and are in fact crying out for your help? Hence, your strong desire to contact them? Â I think we have all experienced those instances when we have done something thoughtful for another person and they say "You have no idea how much I needed that today?".

The wonderful thing is that not only could you potentially help another person but you will also warm your own heart by finally being close to the person (people).

So please get writing, phoning - running! Please listen to your heart - they truly are wise and beautiful gifts.

Much love and light and blessings. Penelope.

Tyler, I can relate to you because I have felt the same way also. But let me assure you that there's nothing wrong to let your feelings float because I'm sure it has been painful to hold on things that you really want to say. Just tell your friends, family, etc what you want to say and that you need them in your life back and as human I'm sure it's such a nice feeling to be important to someone so I suggest you to open up to them. About them being happy, who knows if they actually miss you and need you also? I mean some people don't really express the way they feel out loud and you might get a mutual feeling. Plus it will be such a huge relief to let out the things that burden you. So yeah spill the beans, Tyler and good luck! Natasha.

I think I can give you a help because I can somehow identify myself with you, I got amazed.

The problem can be in yourself or in others, you can have difficult in expressing your feelings or something it's putting you uncomfortable and having difficult in expressing feelings it doesn't always mean you are a shy person, you just need a "push".

I admired the fact that you really want to get close to your friends, you should do it because you love people. People can love you if you are yourself, don't worry about it!

I can give you my example: I play guitar and would like to sing too but i'm shy enough to don't sing, I don't let that ruin my life, I can improve a little bit my skills in the guitar and show it to people and thrill with them and who knows I get inspired. Catarina.

I think I can give you a help because I can somehow identify myself with Here's a secret about people: they want to feel good about themselves. They want to be appreciated, known, and cared for by others.

With that said, if you ever ask for help from your friends, family, or anyone, that gives them a confidence boost that they're reliable, that they're trustworthy, that they're someone to go to during help. (That's why teachers are there during schools: they're there to not only teach you about subjects, but to help you in understanding them. And if you ask questions to them because you're lost, it's not because you're bothering them, but because you're looking up to them as a source for help.)

When you ask questions, you are never bothering anyone. You are showing, unconditionally, that you look up to them, that you're asking THEM for help (and that you were thinking about them)!

Let me tell you: asking for help takes a lot of courage. I believe that you are strong to ask for help, that you're grand to show that certain friends are special to you. I KNOW that you can do this, Tyler, and I KNOW that people will feel appreciated to know that you care about them.

Not a lot of people express their love to others enough. But I know that you can change that, Tyler. It took guts to ask for help, and we're here to support you every step of the way!

Do your greatest, Tyler! #YouCanDoIt! Lawrence.

It's time to speak up and be honest with your friends and family. Past flames are just that, part of your past unless you still have some current interaction with them. The sad thing is you can't be saying things are always "fine" when they're not.

All these feelings and words unsaid are being buried inside of you. One day they will all manifest in ways like stress, that affects your physical and emotional health. Worry about you first, not about what people think of you. I know peer pressure and family pressures can be very challenging and difficult. You need to take care of you and your own happiness.

Don't get me wrong, you need to find those who are closest to you. The ones who have seen you at your best and those who still stand beside you at your worst. Those are the ones who will keep your confidence and keep you honest. Ask them one day if you can be honest with them about some things that are weighing you down. If they say yes, they have given you their permission to share what ever it is you need to tell. Once you've told it, give those stories and feelings an ending, and let them go. If they still linger, then write those stories down on a piece of paper, and burn it. Once those ashes are gone, let go of the painful past, and move on.

It's hard to be in the present. You have to make a conscious effort to learn from the past and let it go. Live in the present, and welcome the future with open arms. Good things happen when you least expect them to. And usually history doesn't repeat itself.

We're given a gift of a new day with each morning. How we decide to write in our diaries each day is up to you!

Be brave. Be happy and be well. Julie.

I understand how difficult it is to tell your friends personal things, especially the first time. But non-solved problems are always getting worse, believe me. So sit down one time, take a deep breath and tell the problem in one breath. With going around the subject (as we call it in the Netherlands) makes it harder to come at the point.

You also said you don't want to ruin your friends lives. Maybe you should see it this way: When your friends see there is something and you don't tell it, they might feel very uncomfortable. Being straight forward, for now, is my advice.

Good luck, Isabelle.

You have to do things in life that make you happy. Never feel bad about wanting to express your true feelings or emotions to anyone. Keeping things bottled inside isn't helping you, it's just making you feel more stress and anxious.You need to trust in yourself, and sit the people down that you want to open up to, and then do so. You aren't ruining anyone's life by making sure the way YOU feel is known, and if anyone makes you feel that way, then wouldn't it feel good to know that, so you can continue your life journey without that baggage of the unknown? Free yourself, its okay to make anything you feel known, honest. And yeah, it's really hard to come clean about things when you've been keeping them so close to your heart, but start with one person you trust and love the most, and then tell them whats been going on and have them just listen to you. Trust me, the burden will be lifted off you, and you'll gain the confidence to make sure everyone knows your true self and feelings and you will stop hiding behind your fear. Melissa.

Write it all down, your feelings, wishes, and regrets. Get it all on paper so you can see it in black and white. You say you have been holding back for a long time, you may not even realize exactly what you want, you just know you do not want to feel the way you do right now. If apologies are in order or forgiveness is due- then give them freely without any expectations. If you walked away from relationships and now think you made a mistake, go tell them how you feel, again without expectations.

It is not other people's job to love or fix you. It is yours. Do not misunderstand me, there is NO judgment here. Feelings are not right or wrong they just are. However; how we allow those feelings to become actions or reactions is our responsibility solely. Our ego strives to make us feel okay and avoid discomfort, but sometimes a little miserable is our Soul trying to nudge us in the right direction. Speak your truth, but speak it to yourself first. Trying to recapture the past is not the way to move forward to your path. There is one day you can do nothing about, and that day is yesterday. You only have control over yourself this moment, right now, this minute. You are strong , but you cannot possibly gather all the new gifts for your life with your hands full of the past.

Be Well-Be Blessed-Be Yourself (everyone else is already taken) Dani USA.

You are right about how hard it is to be open and honest sometimes. The reason for this could be that you are fearing what kind of reaction you will get. You also mention that you feel you should' let them be happy without you in your lives'. This makes me wonder if something has happened in the past. What ever it is, ask yourself which is easier to live with; the angst you feel now, or the consequences of speaking up. This is something only you can answer, knowing the people in question, and how they will likely react. Could a greater problem result?? Or could it lead to a healing for you? Perhaps an impartial friend familiar with this could serve to give you a heads up in terms of what to expect. Good luck with it, take care, Laurie.

Tyler, the most important thing is to be true to yourself. Keeping things bottled up inside creates so much toxicity. "Do I spill the beans to stop being miserable or do I let them be happy and go on with their lives?" Perhaps there's a way for both of these outcomes to happen. Are you absolutely sure that sharing what is in your heart will be received with negativity? Are you sure that what you have to express would actually cause their happiness to decrease? So often, the mind can get going on an endless loop, escalating a situation that is really only in our thoughts. I have a feeling that if you shared with total honesty, from a place of love (without expecting something in return), you would be surprised by what may happen. Write your feelings out and then decide whether or not to share them. Sometimes just writing without filters releases the grip the unexpressed feelings have. Release it so you can move on and create the life you are meant to live. You deserve happiness, too. With love, Alia.

It makes me sad that you don't feel well. In life you share happiness and sorrow with your friends and family, that is what friends and family are for. I am sure that you will feel much better if you share your thoughts with them and I am sure that some of them will listen. If not, you will know that it's not a real friend. You write that you don't want to ruin their happy life. Things are sometimes not what it appears to be. A person who looks happy on the outside might not be happy in the inside. Life is also like a rollercoaster, it goes up and down. Maybe next time it's your turn to listen to them. I wish you the best and hope that you will feel much better when you have shared your thoughts and feelings with friends and family. Love, Ann-Sofie, Sweden.

I wonder why you feel that you would ruin their happiness by opening up to them. You've completely ruled out the possibility that you could make them happy, or at least not make them happy or sad.To me, that seems just as unrealistic as expecting to be the center of all their lives. You should remember that, yes, time has passed and people grow apart, but people can also grow closer with time and effort. So if they really do mean a lot to you, just ask yourself if they're worth the effort and the risk of putting yourself out there for a brief moment of your life. As for handling your emotions, not asking for help from friends or family will only make you feel isolated. I don't know your age but If you're old enough you could see a therapist on your own and It could be private. Trying to ignore the way you feel or assuming your feelings don't affect people around you will only lead to more complicated and negative emotions. It just doesn't work if you're trying to live a happy life. Opening up and confronting yourself will be a step forward. Hope this helps. Love, Darem.

Thanks to all those who replied to this week's question. Remember, Team Oracle is open to anyone so if you fancy replying, click to read this week's, and send us your answer.

14 July 2014 / submitted by Ann Sofie, Sweden

Q. Hi Oracle, I have a question to you: which is your best Coldplay memory/moment?

Ann-Sofie.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Wow, there are SO many. It would be too hard to pick just one so in no particular order:

The first time I saw them live, Parachutes going to #1, winning their first Brit and headlining Glastonbury for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
11 August 2014 / submitted by PrincessOfChina, United Kingdom

Q. Hello to Coldplay and all the Coldplayers of the world!

Ok, I have many friends who are fans of Coldplay, one of my dearest friends asked me, "Wouldn't it be great if Coldplay wished every Coldplayer a happy birthday".

Well, my question is:

Would it be possible for Coldplay to send us Coldplayers a HAPPY BIRTHDAY greeting by email when our b-day comes around?

Thank much! Kisses.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Well although it's a nice idea; it's not very practical. To give you an idea why that's not possible I shall illustrate with a statistic.

Imagine... if the band tried to wish everyone who liked the band on facebook a Happy Birthday, we would have to send 36,598,704 salutations out. There's no way they could be individual personal emails. It could only ever be a generic mail and therefore not that special.

That said, "Happy birthday!" everyone.

Yeah, and, well, you know, they might have, maybe, MAYBE, more interesting shit to care about. (Maybe.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha this question though :laugh3:

20 August 2014 / submitted by Jacob, Canada

Q. I watched the A Sky Full of Stars video, and I'm pretty sure I saw Chris Martin in it. Am I right?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Ha ha ha! This made me laugh. I don't know if it's sarcasm or just a joke but it's very funny. We are done with the ASFOS spotting now.

Hellooooooooooo Coldplayers! I have noticed this thread has been sort of left behind and really is in need of some attention. I will do my best to keep it updated daily but if you see that I have not I would love if anyone would like to help and post (if you can copy and paste)

I really enjoy reading all the questions and answers that the Oracle takes so much time to answer about Coldplay. Let's give the Mighty Oracle some love shall we? We are so lucky to have all this info at our fingertips.

So without further ado (is that a real word?):

22 August 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 28 August.

What would you do if someone cheated on you? On one hand I think it would be

childish to take revenge, but on the other it would be impossible not to want to.

Einstein said that the intelligent people are the ones who ignore, but how could you ignore that? Thanks for reading. Maria, Venezuela.

Look forward to reading your replies.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Please email your replies with TEAM ORACLE in the subject line to [email protected]

22 August 2014 / submitted by Miranda, Australia

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #181

Currently in tears, I came out of a 9 year relationship a year ago where the other person thought it was good to purposely hurt me for their own gratification.

It took over a year to get over this.

I have since met someone who is really nice and an inspiration. We are in a no commitment relationship, but when he says that he is going to come over he does not.

Should I continue with this?

I have known him for over 2 years and liked him from the first time I met him. If you say you're going to come over then do so. I am a pretty simple easy going person and my mum calls me a big softy cause all I do is help people. Should I continue with this no commitment relationship, even though I have deep feelings for this person now, or should I just push everything down toughen up and get on with life?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It does take time to get over hurt and that can be detrimental to new relationships moving forward if you haven't dealt with it.

I don't think it's a case of toughening up, more of working out what you want from a relationship.

You may be scared to commit hence getting into a noncommittal situation with this guy. However, you can't have it both ways. If there's no commitment, him not turning up is, well, not committing - as arranged.

Maybe that's just the way he is with every aspect of his life or maybe this is just showing you that he's not committed.

That said, it drives me mad when people don't do what they say and it's reasonable to let someone know that it's not cool. Tell him that if he's not going to make it over, to let you know. If he continues to let you down, decide what's acceptable and stick to it otherwise he will continue to do what he wants with little regard for what you want.

Now, I'm going to hazard a guess that what you'd really like is to be in a committed relationship with him with a cast iron guarantee that he will never hurt you. That is never going to happen.

If you're playing at being cool with this arrangement it's time for you to stop pretending and face up to what's really happening.

I hate to say it but I fear the chances are you could get hurt again because of your deep feelings for him.

You need to be honest. If you want more, talk to him. See what he thinks. If he has feelings for you too, maybe it's time to give it a go and try to have a committed relationship. You may find he doesn't feel the same but don't be surprised if he's happy with the way things are.

If you're not, you need to put an end to the arrangement.

A year isn't all that long to heal. Don't push anything down as that is not healthy. Please consider you may still have work to do to on the aftermath of your 9-year relationship.

Whatever you decide, you need to do what's best for you right now.

Over to you.

If you don't like that he doesn't come around when he says he will, why are you in a non-committed relationship at all? Be on your own until you find a decent guy who treats you with respect! Ann.

You deserve to be happy and healthy in everything including your relationships. Right now is when you need to step back and look at your current relationship objectively. Does he care about you as much as you care about him? Do you feel safe and happy around him? Does he treat you well? You should then dive deep within yourself and ask if this relationship is really a good one for you or not. All relationships have issues, but there is a line, and perhaps he is crossing it. If the only problem you have with him is that he doesn't come over when he says he will but he's there for you when you need him, has a good connection with you, treats you well, etc., then talk to him and find out why he doesn't come. His answer could determine if you should really stay with him or not.

Another thing to think about is if he is constantly making you upset or giving you that horrible pit in your stomach. If so, then you probably shouldn't continue the relationship because it's not a good one for you. If you ask me, ALL relationships have some level of commitment or they sink. If your relationship is one-ended and you're the only one trying, then it may be time to move on. You deserve nothing less than someone who has feelings as strongly for you as you do for him. Brooke.

9 years is a LONG time to be in a relationship so I honestly don't think you're ready to be in another one yet. I'd be kicking this guy to the kerb and having fun. This doesn't sound like fun when he lets you down. Be happy! Kev.UK.

He sounds like a douche! How would he like it if you didn't do what you said you were going to do when you said you were? Maybe you should try and see? If he doesn't care, there's your answer. Men don't like to be nagged and I;d bet money that he says you're nagging him if you approach him about it. Again, that will be your answer. Move on, Miranda. Betsy, Chicago.

Your last relationship ended badly after a very long time. If he didn't treat you well, I;d say the next man you spend time should be treating you like a princess! They are out there. You don't need to get too serious too soon but I don't think a no strings attached (that's what this sounds like) is rig for you - not after what you've been through. Good luck. Bonnie.

You sound like a lovely person. It sounds as if you want to please people so much that you are not taking care of you. You need to take care of you. Don't let people use you and walk all over you. Your own self esteem and self respect matter.

As for your past with a 9 yr relationship, why would you let someone "abuse" you and disrespect you?

You need to love yourself first.

You need to respect yourself first.

You need to ask for what you need, and don't settle for less.

You need to talk about your feelings and be able to have some hard conversations.

Sometimes being too kind is how you get hurt. Sadly, not everyone has your heart and your desire to help others.

You will find a "healthy" relationship where someone thinks so much of you and wants to take care of you. Someone who understands you.

Please don't settle. You are worth so much more than these 2 relationships so far.

Listen to your heart and soul.

Wishing you the best. Be brave. Take care of you. Julie.

Never make anyone to your priority when YOU are only a option to them.

You say you like to help people. This a wonderful character trait, But you should look for yourself anyway. YOU are someone, too. And you don't deserve such a "care". Put all your self-esteem and pride together and move on. Although there are deep feelings for that person. You need someone who respects you for what you are and keep their promises. You are not a toy to play with. Wish you all the best . Maren.

Hmm, what do you think a non-committed relationship is? It's what it says on the tin - exactly what this man is doing. If you don't like it, you are obviously looking for commitment so this isn't fair on either of you. Maybe you should just be friends. I hope you learn to trust again but I don't think it's going to be with this person - not unless you tell him you want to move the goalposts. Harriet, Leeds.

If a man says something like he will come over and he does not follow through, it means he does not think it is that important. If he has better things to do, well then, so should you. In my opinion, you should get out of the relationship now. Honor and respect yourself enough to know that you have a great capacity for love, and that you deserve the same kind of love in return. It will hurt to say goodbye, but you will be better off moving on now. Never waste your time and energy on people who do not treat you with respect. They are unlikely to change.

Also, try to let yourself grieve over the loss of the relationship by crying, writing in a journal, or talking to close friends or a therapist. Pushing down the pain will cause more harm to you than processing through the emotions you feel in hard times like these. You'll get over the pain more quickly and feel better about yourself. Sorry this one did not work out, but there is a wonderful, respectful and loving man out there for you somewhere. Try to be patient and wait for the man you deserve. (Actually, I'm doing the same right now.) Best of luck! Tracey.

25 August 2014 / submitted by Faheem, United Kingdom

Q. How did Coldplay play two New Years Eve shows on the same night one in Abu Dhabi and one in Austin TX?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They didn't - well, not really. The band only physically appeared live in one place on Dec 31 2011 - Volvo Ocean Race Destination Village, Abu Dhabi.

They pre-recorded a concert on Septemeber 16 2001 in Austin for Austin City Limits that was broadcast on New Year's Eve.

25 August 2014 / submitted by Faye, Australia

Q. Hi friend,

I just saw Chris do the ice bucket challenge, who's he with? She said she's a fashion designer.

By the way, it was my favourite ice bucket challenge! (I'm not bias at all ;-) )

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

He did the ice bucket challenge with Stella McCartney - hence them nominating her father, Sir Paul McCartney.

5 August 2014 / submitted by Catherine, United States of America

Q. Who were the ballet dancers in the True Love video? I am a ballet dancer myself so am very curious and envious! Thank you Oracle!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They were from the Luminario Ballet company, who have also recently featured in a few other contemporary music videos including Taylor Swift & Iggy Azalea.

26 August 2014 / submitted by Stephanie , Canada

Q. Hello Oracle,

I stumbled upon a Life In Technicolor ii 7 inch vinyl and was wondering if it was an official release or if it must be a bootleg copy?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Life in Technicolor ii was an official single and was released on 7 inch vinyl as well as a digital bundle.

26 August 2014 / submitted by Valentine, France

Q. Hello Oracle !

I have watched the music video for A Sky Full Of Stars and let me just say - it is amazing! I love how humble and simple it is, and I also love Chris' smile through the whole thing :)

My question is, though, I noticed he had an iPad attached to his leg, was that any use at all ?

Thanks for answering !

Valou.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It was actually Roadie #42's personal iPad. It had a video of the piano keys playing themselves on it and the music they were busking along to. It was connected to a speaker on Chris's back.

27 August 2014 / submitted by Arthur, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle! I am not sure if you already have answered this question but it would be heavily appreciated! Thanks.

On a occasion has Chris or any band member in that case have had to miss or cancel a show because they were too sick?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Yes, there have been shows cancelled due to illness but I haven't got a definitive list of who, when or where. The band do what they can to avoid getting sick on tour but occasionally it does happen.

27 August 2014 / submitted by Noely, Argentina

Q. Hi Oracle!

When True Love will be released as single? Or it was released on August 18?

Thanks.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's already out, Noely. Wikipedia has 14 August as the release date but Anchorman announced here on 4 August that True Love was available to download.

27 August 2014 / submitted by Joelle, Syria

Q. Hey Oracle so I just watched True Love's music video and I want to know the name of the girl.

Thanks xx

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The actor - I believe that's what we call male and female thespians these days - in the True Love video is Jessica Lucas.

I'm not familiar with any of her work but methinks she fits the video well.

28 August 2014 / submitted by Mary , United States of America

Q. Hi O,

Is Roadie#42 going to follow me tonight? I hope so!

S,D.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Roadie #42 doesn't have a twitter account so no, I wouldn't think it's possible.

Any tweets purporting to be by Roadie #42 aren't official ones nor is it an official account.

28 August 2014 / submitted by Kira, Australia

Q. Is it wrong to lead a boy on if you don't feel any sparks there, to spare hurting his feelings?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Yes, I think it's wrong! To anyone doing that I challenge you to question if you are really doing it to spare the person's feelings or feeding your own ego. Whatever the reason, stop!

28 August 2014 / submitted by Sandy, United Kingdom

Q. Where was the True Love video filmed?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The video was shot at Venice Beach, Los Angeles (California).

28 August 2014 / submitted by Lucas, France

Q. Hi

Before the True Love video got released, there was a rumor that the famous choregrapher Blanca Li was going to be involved. Was that indeed the case? Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I think that may be a typo, but Bianca Li was indeed involved and choreographed the Luminario Ballet dancers.

29 August 2014 / submitted by Heather, United Kingdom

Q. Hello wise Oracle! So there is this guy (please don't scoff). I was really really really close with this guy at some point. Everyday I would unwind by telling him my feelings and secrets and just everything. Mind you that I am a deeply unhappy person. This person abandoned me and stopped talking to me. I confronted him and asked why and he said he didn't know. Sometimes I feel like it was my fault because I was always talking about negative stuff instead of positive stuff. I've always been a serious person. I was in so much pain when he stopped talking to me. (EDITED) My heart aches everyday and I just don't know what to do. I want to move on but I can't. Please help.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Heather, the email address you gave me isn't working. Please send it again here, as I have written a very lengthy response that I'd like to email to you.

29 August 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

This week I have chosen a question referring to the True Love video's postscript.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 4 September.

Is anything possible?

Tatiana, Indonesia.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Please email your replies with TEAM ORACLE in the subject line to [email protected]

29 August 2014 / submitted by Maria, Venezuela

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #182

What would you do if someone cheated on you? On one hand I think it would be

childish to take revenge, but on the other it would be impossible not to want to.

Einstein said that the intelligent people are the ones who ignore, but how could you ignore that

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

This is an interesting question even if hypothetical to (hopefully) many. Revenge isn't an accepting or forgiving action. If you intend to stay with the person it's obviously not a good idea to plot or exact revenge.

Once trust has been betrayed it's hard to get it back. That will take time and there are bound to be frustrations. I would struggle to give someone a second chance but if I did, three strikes and you're out for sure. Once I could maybe forgive but if with a serial cheater, I would respect myself more than they did by cutting loose.

Personally - and I'm pretty sure this has happened to me, despite denials - I prefer to keep revenge fantasies in my head and that's probably the best place for them!

It's like you say, it's justifiable to want to and yes, hard to ignore but that doesn't mean it's the best response.

In fact, revenge isn't healthy. You may believe it's deserved and your right to or that it will make you feel better but is it really worth it?

Yes, it will make you look childish and bitter. Surely it's better to look mature and resigned?

There may be screaming, tears, questions and all manner of unpleasantries but all that's exhausting and can't be good for you internally.

Obviously all that's easier said than done; adignified response is always best if at all possible.

Hold your head high with decorum in the knowledge that you are the bigger person.

In private you can fall apart for a while and by all means have those little daydreams about what you'd like to do.

The best revenge is to move on and have a wonderful life. Who needs cheats and liars?

Over to you.

I personally think revenge is no good. Believe me, cheaters already suffer. They let down people who really care about them and don't consider that we love them. I don't know if you're talking about cheating in love or in friendship. I experienced the second one. An old friend had told our best friend that he was in love with her. I had no idea for over a year and he acted just fine with me. After I discovered that, I decided to let go the two of them. And it was the best decision really. A year later, he told me that he regrets everything he has done and that I'm the best friend he could ever have... Anyway, of course I couldn't forgive him but at least, I feel I dealt with it wisely and that a revenge would have made things worse.

So, whether it's love or friendship, you just have to remember that you're awesome and he/she is not. And that's enough.

One last thing, whenever I feel this rage inside me I would just listen to AROBTTH and it calms me down.

Saad, Morocco.

If someone cheated on me, I'd confront the person and ask to know why they did it. Yes, revenge will most likely be on my mind, but i do not believe that revenge is the best way to handle the situation. I say forget those who forget you. In the moment, your significant other failed to remember you. I would get rid of everything in my life that reminded me of them. Start fresh. I'd hang out with family and friends to help keep them off my mind. Don't let that person wiggle their way into your life, because if they cheated on you once, they'll do it again. Don't let someone negatively affect your life because of a mistake they made. You don't need anyone who doesn't need you. Erika.

I believe that the best reaction to someone who has cheated is to move on (I think this term is more suitable than "ignore" - you just can't ignore situations like these). I believe that revenge is never the right answer, because, obviously, you would do as wrong as the other person - if your moral codes tell you that cheating is wrong, why would you do the same? Besides, revenge wouldn't take you anywhere: you'd be "even", for sure, but would it fix your heart? Would you be happy again? Absolutely not; in fact, that would only extend your grief. So, in my opinion, if the relationship can no longer be saved (which happens the most), all you can do is move on, and set yourself free from what is causing you pain. Not only you may teach a lesson to the cheater, but you will also learn from it, and apply that lesson on further relationships. Then, you may even forgive that person, depending, of course, on the circumstances, but that's up to you. Always follow your heart, no matter what. Good luck. Love, Ana.

If you're in a relationship it should be based on trust. If someone cheats on you, well, you shouldn't just ignore it, because this solves nothing. Neither does revenge, even though you might want to take one. But think about it, it could cause more problems between you and your partner. I think the best solution is to talk to that person, because no revenge could do what words can. If it hurt you, say it, if you're mad, let them know. Don't let any of it be unspoken. Ask them to tell you the truth and discuss it together. You deserve to be respected and to be able to trust the person you're in a relationship with. Quince, Croatia.

If someone cheated on me I wouldn't get revenge, it's unnecessary. karma will get them, they'll be with someone they really think they love and they'll be left broken-hearted when they find out they'd been cheated on. So why waste your time and possible embarrass yourself for just a little bit of revenge? Just try to forget and move on with your life and be happy once again, you'll find somebody else that you can be with forever and it will be worth not getting revenge. Treating people kindly and respectively is the way to live and if they don't follow that then that's their problem and they will pay soon enough. Jordan.

I think when you loved and trust(ed) someone that cheated on you, you can't just ignore it.

I do think you can learn from these colorful things that life throws at you.

I can't decide on what you should do, but i do advice to not ignore it.

Maybe listen, singalong, grunge or playback to music.

Or talk about it with friends or family.

I do think that could help.

Greetings, Luc.

I know that it's very difficult. I have been married for almost 15 years. 5 years ago my husband had cheated on me. He was extremely close to leaving me for another woman. We seemed to work though it but let me tell you. It's NOT easy. I never sought revenge, that wouldn't make anything better. Would only make it worse.

I think it depends on how much you're willing to work on things to move past what had happened. I'm in a sticky situation myself.

Wishing you the best of luck.

xoxo Rosalie.

Maybe, Einstein was right. why would waste your time to a person like that? I mean if I were you I'll just probably wish him the best and worst in the world! Well.. mostly worst because of what he did. But then, instead focus on yourself more. maybe treat yourself a reward to a salon because finally you two are no longer together and you are now free from stress! Or try focusing on brand new things like adventure or yoga or stuff that will make you feel good. But the most important thing is that your family and friends are there in your rough times, maybe this is the time that you need to hang with them more often. Remember there's so many fish in the sea. And maybe the person that cheats on you is not the person who is destined for you. But you know someday you will find a person who will love you more, more than you! You just have to believe in Magic. :)

Hope this helps! Love lots, Shaine from Manila, Philippines. xxo

Maria, I think the way people treat you badly says a lot about themselves and nothing about you !!

You should not give back what you were given.

Just smile and walk away. Sounds impossible, but please try. You will feel better.

This may be the biggest pain you can give to those kind of people.

Maren.

I don't believe Einstein meant to ignore the emotion, but to look at it from another perspective.

If you did truly bond with another human being who betrayed you, you are now forced to rethink your position in the relationship. Is it worth investing more time and effort?

You must definitely look inward, and assess why this happened. If you believe it may have been your fault, an alternative response would have been to communicate honestly and openly with your partner. Giving someone their own bitter medicine is not a whole or healthy response. It doesn't serve the greater good, but just perpetuates the pain. For every unkindness we experience from someone else, you can be sure that the universe will correct it. "The universe lets no debt go unpaid."

Therefore, concentrate on healing from this pain, and do your best not to put yourself in that type of a position again. Find where the source of the problem may lie, and turn up the volume so that you can hear or see it clearly. Then, sit with the pain till you resolve it, so that you never have to experience it again. When we identify our pain at the source, we become aware and conscious, and can then heal.

You are meant to give love, be love and receive love. That is the true purpose of humankind's journey. And perhaps this was a lesson to store in your memory for your future relationships, and to be grateful when the next partner is loyal. Frances.

You're angry, hurt and wanting to make the other person feel badly. Don't do it. Dig deep and believe it not, forgive them for their shortcomings and move on. It may take a while for you to heal and that's okay. The person who cheated on you and disrespected you? They're not worth the time in your thoughts or your energies. You're a better person and you deserve someone who will cherish you. Take the time, enjoy your life, and mend your broken heart. There's someone out there just waiting for you to walk into their lives.

Be well. Best to you, Julie.

You can't ignore when someone cheats on you. It's a disrespectful attitude from the person you are with and it hurts a LOT. But I don't think taking revenge would be a good thing for you to do.

First of all, you should clarify the situation. Did your partner cheat only once or it was something common for them to do? Why did they do it: because you two were having trouble in your relationship and they made a stupid mistake, or because they wanted to have fun with someone else and didn't care about you at all?

If it was the first case, maybe you two could work things out after a while (if both of you are willing to give the relationship a second chance and work hard to do that). But if it was the second case, don't waste your time and move on.

When someone hurts you like that, wanting to take revenge is a completely natural reaction. But you would be doing something reprehensible too and would be wasting your time and mental energy on something that WON'T BRING YOU PEACE. Taking revenge will only expose you to situations that will hurt you more.

The only thing you can do to feel better, if you decide to break up or already did, is giving yourself as much time as you need to heal (and your family and friends will support you along the way).

Love from Argentina. Noelia.

To quote Confucius "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves". Revenge is never the answer. I'm not saying you should ignore what happened but you definitely shouldn't lower yourself to the level of the person who cheated on you. Personally I'd have a good talk with this person and immediately end my relationship with him. I know its tough when someone cheats on you, but try to remember that this person isn't worth your time and affection if he finds it necessary to see someone else behind your back! Good luck. Amanda

1 September 2014 / submitted by Joao , Canada

Q. Just wondering what string gauge/tuning is used for Charlie Brown. It sounds very jangly. I like it!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

You will soon discover there is a theme with this week's questions.

It seems you guys want to know a lot about Jonny so I enlisted Matt McGinn to answer a few specialist questions.

Over to Matt:

Jangly eh? Tuning is D#ADGA#D Gauges top to bottom:

.013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056

1 September 2014 / submitted by Joao Vitor Felicio, Canada

Q. Hey oracle, just wondering if Johnny ever uses a Fender Twin Reverb, or is it safe to say he sticks to his Devilles?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt: He uses all sorts, including Twins, but we always come back to the DeVilles. We swap out the Fender speakers for Celestion Vintage drivers, by the way. A bit chunkier sounding and less harsh.

1 September 2014 / submitted by Newman, Canada

Q. Hey Oracle,

Just wondering if you could fill me in on Jonny's amp settings. He's the best. And so are you!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Thank you. Here's Matt:

Always changing... we just started using Kempers in the signal chain as well, which adds a whole new dimension...usually we run amps pretty loud with a fair amount of bass and a bit of natural distortion, then pour all the effects into the front end.

2 September 2014 / submitted by Angus, Australia

Q. Hi, Oracle!

I'm trying to emulate the overdrive that Jonny used on X&Y. Could you point me in the right direction in terms of pedals and presets?

Hope you're well!

Angus

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

(I already have the answers from Matt McGinn for the Jonny Buckland questions I chose, so anyone that has sent a new one overnight - and there are a few of you - I'm afraid you will have a wait as I am not adding any further Qs to what we have for this week).

Back to the Q in hand & Matt:

You mean the song or the whole album? We used the Vintage Rat a lot on that stuff, as I recall...though it's ten years ago now, man. Lotta beer under the bridge since!

2 September 2014 / submitted by Benny, United States of America

Q. O knowledgable Oracle,

What kind of guitar did Johnny use during the MX tour, and I mean the one that had the graffiti like the other instruments. I felt like it was a stratocaster but I wasn't sure what kind. And also, who did the atwork for the bands instruments?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I've actually discussed the artwork many times but here's Matt:

Same guy that did everything else, a graffiti artist named Paris. There were Strats and Teles, mostly painted by him.

2 September 2014 / submitted by Lea, Germany

Q. Hey all-knowing Oracle!

Once you said that Jonny's favourite guitar is named Sunny. I heard that one of his favourite ones is a Fender Telecaster Thinline, so I was wondering if Sunny is a Fender Telecaster Thinline?

Thanks, Lea :)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt: Yep, that's the one! It was the main guitar in the Ghost Stories DVD* if you have a look - it's got a sunburst finish, hence the name.

*Matt is referring to the TV special that we told you about the broadcast of back in May.

3 September 2014 / submitted by Jorge, Australia

Q. Oh wise Oracle, could you please ask Matt McGinn what is Jonny Buckland's favourite guitar effect?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I asked, this is what Matt said:

Oh help...that is tough...er, echoey loud ones! So many options...but that's about the size of it...

3 September 2014 / submitted by Steven, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

Is the grey Fender Stratocaster Mr. Buckland has been playing for GS a new guitar or and old one he had lying around and has decided to use for this album's shows? (It looks rather worn). Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt says:

It's new, a Strat built for the tour by Bill Nash, made to seem old. Does it look grey? It's meant to be black...ah well.

3 September 2014 / submitted by Sam, Australia

Q. Hi Oracle,

I've been loving Coldplay's performances of the new songs from Ghost Stories, but I wanted to know what guitars and amps Jonny is using, as they look really different to what he used for the last few albums.

Thanks

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Sunny and the Strat mentioned previously, mainly. Amps-wise it's been the Kemper profilers plus an old Silvertone or two.

4 September 2014 / submitted by Jeroen, Belgium

Q. How did Jonny get his hands on his Boss DD-5 Digital Delay pedals? Because apparently you can't buy them anymore?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt's back: We got his when they were still making them, I think. You'll probably need to go on eBay* now, I'm afraid.

*Other auction sites - or similar - are available.

4 September 2014 / submitted by Steven, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

I'm curious if J orders his guitars custom, buys them in random shops, or perhaps a mixture of both?

Thanks!

PS - Love the video for magic.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Matt: Yeah, a big mixture. You said it!

Q. Dear Oracle,

I got a copy of Roadie's book a couple of days ago at last! :-) I was looking forward to see some photos Guy had taken. There are some people who contributed to the photo section in the book in addition to Guy and I don't know which photos he took. Could you please give me a clue?

I think I may have seen photos he took but just don't know they were taken by him. I am trying hard to imagine how he would capture what he sees through the lense if I were him. THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I felt it only right that Matt McGinn's last question to conclude the week of answering Qs about Jonny should be about his Roadie book.

Matt:

Cheers for getting the book. Hope you like it. Well, basically, if the rest of the band are in a photo but Guy isn't (like maybe the helicopter one) there's a good chance it was him that took it. I honestly don't remember though, and that's the truth. Other people, like Roadie 42, Penny Howle and others, kindly let me use their stuff too. The cover shot is by Carrie Levy.

5 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 11 September.

How can I help my older brother stop smoking? He has been smoking for about 3 years and does it moderately at home. I've told my parents and they have tried to make him stop but since he is in his twenties they can't make him do anything. I find lighters and stuff when I go into his room, but I'm too scared to do anything or confront him about it. And whenever I see those commercials with lung cancer patients... I just want to help him. Thanks. Benny, USA.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

5 September 2014 / submitted by Tatiana, Indonesia

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #183

Is anything possible?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There are things in life that are out of my hands but I can honestly say that I live with a positive mental attitude that subscribes to believing that yes, anything is possible.

I tend to only set myself achievable goals. I don't set them too high. To others, they may seem out of reach - it's all relative.

I might want to have a book published, run a 3-minute mile, invent something, learn how to play guitar, run a marathon, travel the world. All currently possible (not at the same time).

However, it is possible that I could go to the moon but realistically it isn't going to happen. It's also possible I could win the lottery but I can't make that happen.

I am realistic in my capabilities and expectations.

Whatever I set out to do, I don't do it with a negative, pessimistic approach - that wouldn't get me anywhere. If I want something I go in with determination and work towards it.

Is anything possible? In theory yes, but in practice it doesn't seem to work out like that. I think we should all believe it is and strive towards making it so.

Over to you.

You aren't alone in wondering this. I often ask myself the same thing.

I know I have a dream in life, but how do I reach it? Here I am sitting outside a classroom before lecture, wondering why I'm here. Is this really what I want? Am I doing what it takes to achieve my dreams? Maybe or maybe not.

We often get caught up in the logistics of life and miss out. The world may tell you that your dream is too crazy or impossible. You can't be something without doing this or doing that. However, even though it may sound cheesy, all you have to do is believe.

The most powerful tool you have in living your dreams, is believing that you can. With enough motivation and drive, anything is possible. Sometimes you may feel like the whole world is against you and you're taking a leap of faith into a bottomless chasm, but trust me when I say that you can do it. Jeremy.

Is Anything Possible ?

I think...YES.

You might say everyone has different opportunities because of where you come from, how much money you have etc.

But I think if you really believe in yourself and if you have sth. you believe in, a dream, a goal. I think you can reach it, no matter what.

Think positive, be patient, work hard. Let time work.

I think then you are on your way that anything is possible, even if you reach your goal crabwise and yes, it

will be hard sometimes.

You have to follow what you believe in (Chris said it once). Maren.

I think mostly anything you desire in your heart is possible, but things related to science and logic, somethings cannot be possible there.

For example with a desire in your heart, I love someone in the UK who is about 4 years older than I am and is raised upon a different religion than I am (I don't believe in the religion my family has tried to raise me upon). He doesn't realise I love him, but I do. It's possible to feel a connection of love online, yes. When it comes to dreams, goals, and love anything is possible.

Now for when we talk about science and logic, somethings are not possible. Such as trying to create a flying pig, or trying to breed a cat and a plant together. It just cannot happen like that.

When I first saw the True Love video, I cried at the end. I realised the message of the video and it was very touching. When most people see the quote "Anything Is Possible" they think about goals and dreams, they don't think about science and logic. Kara.

The old jokes goes "anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door," but I think that, truly, there is more to it. Many feats thought to be impossible in the past have been proven to be possible as the people who worked long and hard broke records. A four minute mile was thought to be an impossible running time, but Roger Bannister did it in 1954. People speculated that it was impossible for man-made objects to go faster than the speed sound, but Charles Yeager shattered that barrier in 1947. Each limitation we put on ourselves may someday be laughed at as technology improves and humans rethink any task and push for it harder. Certain things are theoretically impossible, such as going faster than the speed of light, but there are conflicting theories, and who can say which is right until each is proven or disproven? Even "crazy" ideas may be proven possible some day, that the things we took for fact were misunderstood. Eric.

Perhaps.

If you want to know if you can fly or live to a million years or count all the stars in the universe then no. However, I would not count these things as the true things of worth in this world and so I believe that anything worth anything is possible.

It is possible to love, possible to feel gratitude, possible to smile and make others smile, possible to understand and learn and see and dream and possible to be happy.

Possibilities in this universe are endless, and so, if you have faith and a hint of creativity - anything is indeed, possible.

However, I deem it unhealthy to ponder these things. Instead, you should aim for what you wish to achieve and not think to much about it. The world is an amazing place and there is so much out there.

Don't be afraid to dream or reach for things once deemed too high.

Just don't forget to smile.

Paige, Australia.

Of course! Anything is possible if you just believe in it. The very example is Coldplay themselves. I mean, look at them now. I know that, including them even before, they are just these normal dudes who wish to share their music in the world. And now they did. Because I know they believed that everything is possible! Now. People look up to them and to their music. But of course not just only them. Most all people though. Including most famous ones like. Nelson Mandela or MLK they just believed in their virtues and now they made history. I mean, all I really want to say is. Nothing is really impossible in this world. Not if you have a positive outlook in life and I believed that's the secret to success! You know, it's just like when you are taking a board exams or applying for your dream job or an aspiring musician model actor etc. If you will just persevere on something or anything that you wish you want. Then anything is possible! It's just Easy to Please. Love, Shaine from Philippines. xxo

My thoughts on if anything is possible is yes. If we put our minds to it anything is possible. We sometimes forget that we live in a magical place. Anything is possible.

Love to everyone! Rosalie.

Of course anything is possible! Well, as long as you don't wait for it to come alone. If you work hard to achieve your goals you will get them. All you need to do is to trust in your strengths and recognize your weaknesses. Those are your guides to complete your plans. Moreover, your dreams should have positive feelings. The one that has more significance in my life is optimism. It keeps me looking for what I wish even in the most difficult moments. When there is optimism and hope around me anything is possible! Life is not that easy, nor that difficult. The True Love video clearly shows that. Just try your best and you'll succeed. There is a Mexican astronaut who wanted to work in the NASA and after his 12th attempt to apply for the job he was accepted. So, after this story, don't you believe anything is possible? Because I do! Best wishes, Isabel, Mexico.

I could tell you tales of wonderful things or worrying woes. I wish life to be fantastic even when it is mind numbingly normal. Even when I doubt, I must believe that anything is possible. Because if nothing was, there would be nothing. And yet, there is so much everything, we don't even know what everything is. I cannot limit my life to my self doubt and lack of understanding, or it will have been the most boring life to have lived of all. Hope is the color of life. I think it is the need for hope that makes us really ask if anything is indeed possible.

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Roald Dahl.

The answer is yes!

Branwen.

Yes, I think it is. If you really believe in something, want it so much, think of it every day and write it down, then some day it will be true. Maybe in ways you not have thought of or can't imagine. Just be honest and be yourself. Positive feelings/thoughts will make your dream/dreams come true. Be brave and go outside your comfort zone, remember you only live once. The sky is the limit.

Love, Ann-Sofie.

Yes anything is possible, as long as you keep the faith in it, don't listen to People Who don't believe in you but listen to your own heart and if it don't works the first time try it again. Got a broken time in my past, the most People don't believe in me when I was a little kid and what Hurts me the most was that my father don't got the faith in me (I was 6 years old) my mom she always believe in me and thanks to her I believe that anything is possible! Greetzz, Marianne.

Everything is possible, and not all of it may happen with you.

You can wish anything to be possible, dream it, or work towards it. Your possibilities can be endless. The law of attraction says that every positive and negative events in your life are attracted by you. Your own perspective on life and your own view of the world will bring attract similar people and life events.

If you are a realist, anything is possible, yet everything is not in your control.

If you are an optimist, anything is possible.

How do you view your world, your heart and yourself?

Everyday is filled with endless possibilities. Everyday is a new book to be written.

Best to you, Julie.

Well, I'll say yes. I'll say it because I think that believing it alone can open a world of opportunities and experiences that are hard to even dream of. Of course there are some things out of your control, and its important to accept those for what they are. But those things can be both good and bad. So why go through life without hope? Especially when what happens is tragedy. You want to put your best foot forward. So even when you do come across things that are out of your control, you know you did your part by keeping your heart open. It's the only way to heal and the only way to grow. Love, Darem.

"Anything is possible". When I first saw this, it got me thinking. Is this true ? Well, I believe it is. One should just be optimistic and do whatever it takes to achieve a dream. With great efforts and hard work, everything can be doable. I'm myself from a country where science and research are not really developed. I kept working, never gave up and now I'm doing a master of science in one of France's greatest colleges. "Nobody said it was easy", but don't surrender, don't give up on your dreams and only then, even if you don't reach your goal, you'll be glad of what you did. Of course I have other dreams, "questions of science do not speak as loud as my heart": I'm 22 and have no experience at all but I have faith in true love and Thanks to the True Love video, I'm sure that someday I'll find this one person with whom I can share my life and Coldplay's love.

It's really crazy how a band can change your life, take off all your negative thoughts and replace them with high hopes instead.

Saad, Morocco.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Millie, United Kingdom

Q. Hey Oracle,

I was just curious on who decides what songs are to be released as singles?

Thanks!

:)

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

It's usually pretty clear which songs are going to be singles when an album is delivered. The first and second singles especially. The 3rd (and beyond if there are to be more) is discussed between band, management and record label. It's not a decision that's taken lightly but sometimes, as I say, it's obvious.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Heather, United Kingdom

Q. Hello Oracle! Nowadays everybody seems to have a smart phone. People seem attached at the hip to technology. Do you think that it is tragic that humans are now watching concerts through their cellphones and should be living in the moment, or do you think capturing the moment is special? Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I wouldn't use the word tragic but I hate standing with my view blocked by someone waving their phone - or worse - an iPad in my eyeline.

It's a double-edged sword because there are some great clips of gigs that I wasn't at but can watch or relive if I was there. The same goes for photos. However, it's all about balance and moderation.

I subscribe to the school of Prince, Kate Bush et al. who ask people to refrain from using their phones as cameras and indeed have security patrolling to put a stop to anyone that does. It's disrespectful to breach those wishes but I can totally understand why many want to take photos/videos.

Let's face it, most people aren't watching the gigs with their eyes, but watching with their screens. They are fewer great footage clips than the plethora of absolutely diabolical quality ones that nobody will want to watch.

I totally want to enjoy the show and experience it for real. Technology is a sign of the times and a memento of a gig is great but I think it's down to the artist's wishes and the audience's judgement.

8 September 2014 / submitted by Ryan, United Kingdom

Q. Almighty Oracle !

I was looking to get into playing bass & was wondering what is Guy's preferred bass ? I was sifting through posts but couldn't find anything so help would be appreciated greatly.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I'm not au fait with Guy's current bass preferences but if you're just starting out, this may help. His first proper bass when the band were signed was a Rickenbacker 4001. You can see it in the Shiver video and it was used throughout the early touring days.

Another early one was a Fender Squier Precision bass (with sunburst finish) and he also had Guild SG-style that you can see in the In My Place video. It was never used during touring though.

During the Viva La Vida recording sessions he played a Jag bass.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Katherine , United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle,

This is the first time I am writing to you but I am so awaiting your response. I am studying music and I always look'' beyond'' songs, videos meaning ''how it is made''. I have question regarding video A Sky Full of Stars that I love btw. In the minute 1:13 Chris is joining the rest of the band, then they play together, after that he walks away and the rest of the band left behind turns their left, then in the minute 2:40 they meet again but Jonny, Guy and Will come from Chris'... RIGHT. In my opinion this is the mistake in video making. You may hate me for that but although I love the video that outside scenery does not match studio recording that can he hear in the song but car's honks and people screaming gives us great impression that the music is actually played! My love to all the band! Ps. I regret I did not manage to purchase ticket for Royal Albert Hall as the photos are marvelous.

Regards

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Firstly, bands do not play live in their music videos; they play along to the backing track. Music videos do not have to match the studio recording and the atmosphere would have been lost if they'd have edited out the street sounds.

Secondly, not that it's a video that relies on its continuity to tell a story, I'm not sure I can agree with your theory. We can't see where the rest of the band go after they first play together. They may be out of shot but I assume they are walking down the same road as Chris in the same direction but reach their destination quicker and wait for Chris. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Carlos, Ecuador

Q. Coldplay has a song to tell someone that you miss her and his name?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Warning Sign was the first song that came to mind - it includes the line: 'When the truth is, I miss you'. You can find it on A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Always In My Head from Ghost Stories is another. I'm sure there are more that even if not specifically written about missing someone, certainly fit lyrically.

9 September 2014 / submitted by Agnes, Australia

Q. Hi there! Where can I but the B-Sides to all of Coldplay's albums? I've heard quite a few of them and I think some of them are even better than their singles etc... PLEASE TELL ME!!

Agnes xxx

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I can't give you a definitive list of where to buy them (it may vary) but I can point you to the Recordings where you can see the band's discography. The B-sides are listed with the singles, you can then go forth and find them online.

10 September 2014 / submitted by Harry, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle,

Do the band ever play songs differently than on the record when on tour? For example would Chris or Jonny ever revise chords or a riff to make them simpler/easier to play in front of such big audiences? Or are they always played the exact record way? I'm very keen to know.

Diolch! Harry

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There would be no need to change any song to make them easier to play. The level of difficulty doesn't have any bearing on whether it's played live.

Midnight was one of the most difficult songs to work out how to play live, but the band did work it out and played it rather than not. It would be more likely that a song isn't played because of the vocal register (this is the main reason Yes was dropped from the setlist - it was too low).

The band do play some songs differently on tour e.g., Yellow & God Put A Smile Upon Your Face to keep the gig fresh & interesting for band and fans alike.

A little Coldplaying.com Shout out from the Mighty O!:

10 September 2014 / submitted by Maedeh, Iran

Q. You said Roadie #42 is in ASFOS video but I've never seen him so I can't recognize him. Would you help me find him in the video?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

The first sighting is 31 seconds in. You can see him over Chris' left shoulder (looking at the screen, on the right under the traffic lights) behind the man with shades. He is wearing spectacles and carrying a bag over his shoulder & overtakes them.

That should be enough but if you still can't spot him, coldplaying.com have a photo.

10 September 2014 / submitted by Jordan, United States of America

Q. Was that Chris in the green shirt sitting next to Apple Designer Jony Ive at the Apple Watch Event?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Chris was in Cupertino for the event but I haven't checked where he sat or what he was wearing. I got my information from Stephen Fry via Anchorman.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Liam, Canada

Q. Hey Mr. Oracle, I was just wondering. Due to his heavy involvement (6 of 10 tracks on VLV, 10 of 14 tracks on MX, and 1 track on GS) on the more recent LPs, would I be correct in saying Davide Rossi is an unofficial member of the band?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No you would not be correct because a collaborator, producer, additional musician etc. doesn't automatically become a member of a band no matter what their involvement. Davide is the band's violin, electric violin & string arranger but he actually has his own band - Black Submarine.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Hans, Germany

Q. Is there a friendship between the Coldplay boys and the band members from Keane?

I read that Chris was a roomate of a Keane member in the college.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

There have been quite a few questions already answered about the band's relationship with Keane. If you type Keane into the search field, it's probably easier if you read through the results.

11 September 2014 / submitted by Isabelle, Netherlands

Q. Hello Oracle,

I just found this video of a concert in Australia. What does Chris say at 40:18? I'd love to know that.

Isabelle, Netherlands.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Just before they play ASFOS he says, "If you are wearing a tie, now might be the time to take it off".

12 September 2014 / submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE? As you may know, we have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday we open questions of a personal nature to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply. ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 18 September.

I have been through a lot of depressing stuff lately, a lot has been going wrong in my life. I don't know who I am anymore, and my personality has changed for the worse. I've been really depressed. My school life is terrible, my grades are going downhill rapidly, and I don't get on with my family, I'm the odd one out. All my friends have said they hate me now, after a false rumor was spread about me. I only ever let my feelings out in my writing and drawing, as well as when I play my guitar. I love all of Coldplay's songs, they really express how I feel a lot of the time. You see, I had a boyfriend, secretly, but my parents found out about it and are preventing me from seeing him again. I didn't get to say goodbye, or even explain why I'm not talking to him, it was all so sudden. I'm scared of what he thinks of me, but I couldn't help it. I miss him a lot in my life, he was the only person who understood me. Do you have any encouraging thoughts for me? Thank you.

Aubrey, Australia.

The Oracle.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

12 September 2014 / submitted by Benny, United States of America

Q. How can I help my older brother stop smoking? He has been smoking for about 3 years and does it moderately at home. I've told my parents and they have tried to make him stop but since he is in his twenties they can't make him do anything. I find lighters and stuff when I go into his room, but I'm too scared to do anything or confront him about it. And whenever I see those commercials with lung cancer patients...

I just want to help him.

Thanks.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #184

It's a simple answer, you can't. I'm afraid that as an adult he can make his choices - good or bad for his health, notwithstanding what his family think.

As he still lives at home with your parents, I do think that what they say should count as house rules, but he could still smoke outside so it won't solve your problem.

Don't be scared to confront your brother because it's great that you care so much. Be gentle with your approach because he could likely tell you to mind your own business and be defensive about the concern mistaking it for intrusion.

I don't see anything wrong with explaining what you're worried about but don't expect any changes. Maybe in time you brother will cone to his own conclusion that smoking is bad for your health - as well as your wallet. As an ex smoker, I'm amazed anyone can afford to smoke! Finances aside, I can also tell you that like most addictions, smoking is a hard habit to break.

If he wanted to stop my answer would be very different. I truly believe the key to stopping is wanting to stop. It has to come from your brother, as I doubt he'd stop just because someone asked / told him to but hey, you never know. Better to try to talk to him and fail than not try at all.

Over to you.

I also have my experiences with smokers. Smokers smoke because of stress or because they're addicted to it (or both). There is 1 thing you can take away: the stress. When you talk to him, stay calm. This will make it easier for both of you.

The first time you talk to him he'll probably refuse to stop. You have to accept that. Wait a while, and then confront him again. You can repeat this, but not too much. If he simply can't stop, help him search to an alternative. There are lot's of things to help people quit or to replace smoking. Cigarettes on electricity, for example, or chewing gum. Both of them are free of poison, CO, etc.

I hope this answer will hep your brother to quit.

Isabelle.

My daughter smoked so I know how you feel. I also smoked until I found ecigs. I stopped smoking cigarettes completely and since then have been dropping the nicotine level in my eliquid. I am now down to almost zero. I've introduced my daughter to ecigs and she has also stopped cigarettes. I mix my own liquids so I have complete control over the nicotine level, I mix for her too and she doesn't know yet I've been dropping her levels, she hasn't noticed the difference! My advice to you would be to maybe buy your brother one as a present and see what he thinks. He has to be ready to change though, so don't be too disappointed if he doesn't show much interest to start with, just planting the idea in his head may have to be sufficient for now. Don't pressure him, that will just annoy him, tell him how much less ecigs cost too, that might help... Good luck

Tanya UK.

First thing, can I just say you're such a loving and very sweet kind of sibling to your brother. I know you're really concern about your brother but I think cigarettes is one of the bad habits that adults/young adults that can't be avoided at this moment. Well... I think the best thing you can do is you yourself tell your brother how you feel every time you see him smoke, (since you said that he won't listen to your parents) maybe this is now the right time for you to have courage to say that you are really concern for him smoking. Maybe this time to you as a younger bro. he'll listen. You could ask him out for a brother-to-brother bonding and little by little you can open up to him that you really are concern and scared for his health and tell him how much you love him and you don't want him to lose early that's why you want him to quit from smoking. Or you could just tell him every day the bad effects of cigarettes in the body even if he gets mad for convincing him real hard. Until he finally decides to give it up. I'm pretty sure your brother will soon understand and will stop from smoking. Hope this helps! Best of Luck! Love, Shaine from Philippines.

I understand you care about your brother and want the best for him, but, as you already know, he is an adult: he's old enough to make his own decisions. Even though sometimes they might not be the best ones - from your point of view - that's up to him.

But the most important thing here is that you're worrying too much about a remote possibility. You said it yourself: your brother smokes moderately. Although it may be harmful, smoking doesn't necessarily imply developing cancer. There are a lot of people who smoke for years and, though their physical condition may not be the best, they are fine. My mum is an example of that: she was a smoker for 20 years. She really used to smoke A LOT and she's just fine.

The only thing you can ask your brother is not to smoke indoors or while you are nearby. Cigarette smoke is annoying, not to mention the smell that sticks to your hair and clothes. I'm sure he will respect that request. Don't worry about him smoking a lot outside your home. People who smoke a lot, smoke a lot everywhere. They are never moderate.

Love from Argentina. Noelia.

Have a peaceful and loving attitude, tell him how you feel and how it is hurting not only him but the loved ones around him. tell him how there are so many better things in life and help him to find something he enjoys more than smoking. Malachi.

Here's the thing you can't make him stop.

He is the one that has to make the decision.

The only thing you can do is to say that your really worried about him.

And that you want to help him. Don't be scared to tell him how you feel when you see those commercials.

Maybe even show him that you made this email to The Oracle. Because you just want to help him.

I don't think he will ignore you, at certain points he will think about what you said.

And he might realise how unhealthy it is and you are worried about him.

Greetings, Luc.

So, your brother can't stop smoking and you're troubled in looking for a way out? If it comes about cigarettes, then progress is the answer.

People mostly chose to smoke with a reason. It's not about that he's in his 20s or anything, there is a high probability that he's having a major problem and he decided to keep it. Try to talk more with him, share stories and thoughts about it. Then, ask him to stop. This can be the hardest part but like I said above, progress is the main solution here. Slowly but surely I'm very certain that he'll stop smoking!

Now, regarding your brother's age, the longer your brother stays with his habit the aftermath will be even more painful in the future.

Wish everything the best for you, your family, and especially your brother!

Cheers, Josh.

I happen to have a friend who smokes. I talked to him about it and asked him what made him start, and tried to understand what makes him so attached to it. Some people are attached to cigarettes because of the physical moves they make when smoking, (i.e, holding the cigarette, blowing out the smoke, etc.), for others it's, of course, the nicotine. Try to talk to him and don't be afraid, fear is 50% of failure all the time. Approach him gently and in a friendly manner. Sit him down and talk about it as much as he likes. Don't lead the conversation, make him do that. Just try to understand what it is that's making him this way. You also have to get the help of someone he is really close to, like his girlfriend or best friend. Make them also talk to him. I'm sure with all your effort you will get him to at least cut down. Remember, its a journey of patience and support. You're an amazing sibling. Solaf.

As a previous smoker myself, I recently quit a year ago, it makes it MUCH harder when you have family harassing you about quitting. My mom harassed me every time she saw me. I know that family only does it because they care, but from personal experience, it only makes it worse for the person who is smoking. The best thing that a family member can do is bet there to support them. The only time that quitting smoking will be successful is if the person really wants to quit. This is my FOURTH attempt to quit, and the longest time I have gone without going back to it. I smoked from the time I was 15 to 32. It's not easy so when that day comes that your brother does want to quit smoking he will need lots of support and understanding, especially if he has a bump and goes back to smoking. It may not happen the first time or the second. What people don't get is that it's not as easy as you think it is. Just please try to support your brother as much as you can. Rosalie.

First off, I think it's nice that you want to help your brother out and I understand you want him to do the healthy thing and stop smoking. But in the end it's his own decision. As you said he's in his twenties, so you can't make him stop or help him stop if he doesn't want to. My dad used to smoke a lot too, until we took him to the 'Body Worlds Exhibition' one day. Where, amongst other things, they show you the difference between a smokers and non-smokers lung. It scared the living daylights out of him and he stopped smoking the next day. Maybe you could take your brother there sometime? Good luck! Amanda.

Funny how the original idea of the Oracle:

"Ask me anything about Coldplay (please) and I'll give you answers about your favourite band! :cheesy:"

turned into

"hI Oracle LoL my boob z are liek 2 small N now ma boyfriend dont Like hav XXX w/ me anmore but I'mma preggo plz help lolthxxx bayyy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!1"

:|

Funny how the original idea of the Oracle:

"Ask me anything about Coldplay (please) and I'll give you answers about your favourite band! :cheesy:"

turned into

"hI Oracle LoL my boob z are liek 2 small N now ma boyfriend dont Like hav XXX w/ me anmore but I'mma preggo plz help lolthxxx bayyy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!1"

:|

HAHAHHA who wrote that sh*t? :lol: :laugh3:

15 September 2014 / submitted by Jonny, Germany

Q. Hey there!

Are there other band members than Chris in the True Love Video?

Thanks!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No, just Chris.

15 September 2014 / submitted by Kira, Australia

Q. Do any of the guys have social media?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

No. The only social media they have is as a collective / the band.

Anyone claiming otherwise is an imposter.

15 September 2014 / submitted by Ellie, United Kingdom

Q. I was wondering what your favourite Coldplay video is?

And whether there's a video in particular the band enjoyed filming the most?

X

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

They all said they really loved filming the A Sky Full Of Stars video in Australia

I think you can tell when you watch it. There's a real happy vibe to it.

Paradise & Magic stand out too.