✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What's your favorite Beatles song?

About A Girl

Yes you need.

Because as much as I hate the guy, Paul McCartney was undoubtedly the best songwriter of the group. He basically made the entire White Album by himself (With 5 or 6 songs mainly done by Harrison or Lennon).

McCartney and Lennon were the two songwriters, Harrison was the guy who could experiment and lets face it, his songs were never as instantly catchy (Apart from Something and a few others). Theres too many brilliant McCartney songs (And I'd say about 60-70% of Beatles songs were written by him or had main contribution by him).

But thats my opinion. Lovely Rita is a great song. Maxwells Silver Hammer was McCartney and Lennon, I think its quite a nice song.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong - while McCartney is my least favourite songwriter in the Beatles, there are a lot of his songs I love. Songs like 'Hello Goodbye', 'Blackbird', 'Hey Jude', and 'Sgt. Pepper' are some of my favourite Beatles tracks.

I just don't like that poppy, happy, bouncy, sing-along sound that many of his songs had. Songs like 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' (which I'm certain was written by him, at least the bulk of it was I'm sure) 'Carry That Weight', 'Fixing A Hole' and 'Get Back' are songs which I certainly wouldn't have missed. 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' is one of the worst songs I have ever heard in my life.

Just pick some of your favourites or your favourite today like Im doing!

I dont know too much about Maxwells Silver Hammer but all I do know is the credits read both of them. I like the verses and the chorus is interesting, but if you dont like that bouncy pop, then yeah you may not like a lot of Pauls songs.

But I still feel he was the guy who kept them going as strong as they did. Do you like Ob La Di Ob La Da?

I dont know too much about Maxwells Silver Hammer but all I do know is the credits read both of them. I like the verses and the chorus is interesting, but if you dont like that bouncy pop, then yeah you may not like a lot of Pauls songs.

But I still feel he was the guy who kept them going as strong as they did. Do you like Ob La Di Ob La Da?

All of their songs said 'Lennon/McCartney' on them regardless of whichever had written them, because it was in their contract. In reality, the only songs they wrote together properly were the very early ones like 'She Loves You' and 'Ticket To Ride'. Then their songwriting partnership started drifting apart, and eventually they were writing almost independently.

Apparently, Paul was the only one in the band who liked 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'. I couldn't really see John wanting anything to do with it, so it wouldn't surprise me if Paul wrote that by himself.

Anyway - I don't think 'Ob La Di Ob La Da' is as bad as most people would tell you. But it's another one I wouldn't have missed if it hadn't been written.

Woah, thanks for the educating.

Although I cant be bothered looking for it, I was sure there was a couple songs on some of their later albums that were just McCartney or just Lennon. Meh I just remember seeing it. I'll look tomorow.

I absolutely adore Ob La Di Ob La Da, its possibily my favourite Beatles song. But meh.

I think there could be some on The White Album or something which are labelled just 'Lennon' or 'McCartney', but I'm not sure.

If you go here:

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1038.html

There's a list of all their songs and descriptions for the vast majority of them, which tells you everything you need to know about each one (exactly who wrote it, what it's about etc.)