✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4-Mar-2009: Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome :d thanks for the setlist, reviews & pics guys.

Have just hit Twitter, and these are your tweets for now:

snarkle: Home from an awesome Coldplay gig and have spent the last two hours editing my photos. Check them out here http://snurl.com/d2va1 (expand)

about 1 hour ago from twhirl

jamietrinh: coldplay was great, entertaining. still, it didn't hold a candle to MUSE's gig!

about 2 hours ago from web

toolgasm: @coldplay were pretty awesome tonight. Lots of balloons, confetti and shiny things.

about 2 hours ago from web

shaun888: Chris Martin of Coldplay "f$&ks up" the hardest part in Melbourne tonight. Must be a tough gig out there! Rock on people!

about 2 hours ago from twitterrific

Acid_Monkey: Saw Coldplay perform @ Rod Laver Arena last night. They were great. I've added them to my Top 10 All Time Favourite Concerts list.

about 3 hours ago from web

jonola: fuck coldplay was awesome!

emmalmsa: i could not have been more excited. AND THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT. coldplay are fucking sensations

chloe_e: wow the coldplay concert was unbelievable (L) love chris martin

AndrewXX: Here is how HOT these Coldplay seats were sitting near Shane Warne was interesting! http://twitpic.com/1u73q

about 3 hours ago from TwitterFon

hwakelam: just back from coldplay. Gotta admire the energy..

about 4 hours ago from mobile web

nettsu: I'm happy coldplay did clocks :) still prefer the deep dish remix though http://twitpic.com/1u6ob

about 4 hours ago from TwitterFon

scottkilmartin: Coldplay ... Great show. Weird outfits: Adam Ant meets Sgt Peppers

about 5 hours ago from twitterrific

ajdisse: While butchering the 'hardest part' Chris Martin asked the audience to forget the u2 comment #coldplay

about 5 hours ago from txt

ajdisse: Chris Martin to audience 'sing this with me we'll release it as a single and finally be bigger then U2' #coldplay

about 6 hours ago from txt

I went to the Melbourne concert tonight (well last night now - 4/3/9), and my seats were right next to the mini stage they used when they performed in the audience. AMAZING. So close! It was a brilliant show. Loved it.

FRIGGIN AMAZING!!!

waited in the cold/rain for 3 hrs then another hr inside then 2 more hrs watching the support bands (first one good instrumentals second one ...well they'rs on something lol)

i got RIGHT to the barrier !!!! wooh. some people fainted but coldplay were so damn good. will is such a good singer (not that i doubted him) and it was good how they performered everywhere not just in front of us.

love the butterflies they were soooo COOL! and i loved how they did the hardest part and other piano bits. and the guard gave me a popped balloon full of butterflys after :D

i have practly no photos but ALOT of amazing video of songs/comments etc i'll post after school!!AHHHHH

wasn’t going to the second Melbourne Coldplay concert expecting to worship at the altar. In fact it’s probably fair to say that at best I was hoping to get through the experience without getting too bored and restless and dampening the enthusiasm of my lovely companion. I can be noble like that.

See, I have a confession to make – I don’t own a Coldplay album. Obviously I’ve heard their big songs on the radio and I’ve liked them enough not to change the station. But for some reason my feelings have never gone beyond ‘respectful’ and ‘mildly entertained’. It’s like I knew I ‘should’ like them more but something was getting in the way. It was probably the fact that most of their albums came out in the last decade when I struggled to like any new music.

I say this, not because you should care less (both of you reading this) but in order to provide some context for the next statement.

What a bloody great concert!

Coldplay have pretty much mastered the arena show. They provide a visual feast that allows them to far exceed the inherent performance qualities of the songs. The attention to detail is astounding. They come on stage in costumes that look like Ragamuffin Pirates blended with Sgt Peppers, blended with Revolutionary Civil War Soldiers. The overall effect is like Dexys Midnight Runner’s at a formal dinner. And it works – we feel like there is a show being presented.

Their instruments, from Will Champions drums to Johnny Buckland’s guitars to Chris Martin’s keyboards and even microphone are all customised with slashes of colour. It’s a small thing but it makes a big statement about their intentions.

Their use of the big screens is the best I’ve seen – the higher resolution picture quality available these days is used to full effect so that the screens become a device of intimacy and not apology.

Then there’s the props – huge yellow balls bounce around the arena for Yellow, autumn leaves/butterfly shaped confetti drops en masse later in the show and they make use of two runways and three stages – one being located in the heart of the audience (about 5 metres from our seats as luck would have it – see Amy’s photo for proof!)

Give the Production Designer a good seat on the tour bus!

For a more casual acquaintance of their music like me the show started off with a run of hits that left me wondering what I would do with myself for the next hour. Clocks, In My Place and Yellow all featured in the first few songs. The latter found Chris Martin asking the audience to sing along in the (tongue in cheek) hope that they would release the version as a single and be “bigger than U2”. This reference to the recent war of words in the British press with Bono was genuinely funny and delivered with a big smile. Martin asked the journalists in the audience not to report that comment but fortunately I’m no longer a journalist, just another wanker with a website!

The audiences finest moment vocally though was in Fix You when their massed vocal sounded great – again proving the theory that audience sing-a-longs sound much better when there is a majority of female voices in the audience.

Chris Martin isn’t the greatest singer in rock music, but he works with what he’s got cleverly. He actually has some jazz stylings in his vocals that work really well, although one doubts he would have married a film star had he been a jazz singer. That’s a cross he seems able to bear.

He is a great performer though – he’s a frontman for a band, but he’s still very much a band member and team player. When the band adjourned to the “audience stage” for an acoustic set including Speed Of Sound and Green Eyes as well as Death Will Never Conquer sung by Will) they looks like they are playing on a tiny corner stage at a little London pub. Somehow 16000 Aussies managed to get in. And he’s not afraid to have a laugh at his own expense which surely endears him to Australian audiences.

Other highlights of the set included the title track of Viva La Vida and the encore song The Scientist which even I have to admit is a superbly crafted combination of words and music.

Coldplay’s performance certainly won me over in a big way. I still wont be playing their albums as frequently as I play my old World Party records (while wistfully wondering how big they would have been if Karl Wallinger had been handed the performance charisma bestowed on Chris Martin), but Coldplay have certainly leapt up my personal rankings many places.

They hardly need another fan but, like it or not, they have one!

http://www.heyheymymy.com.au/2009/03/05/coldplay-concert-review/

I went last night, and it was amazing as you'd expect. I was lower seating so it was nice to sit back and take it all when as tonight I am Gen Admin. I was stoked with the inclusion of GoW, though the highlight for me is GPASUYF moving to Talk.

What time should you get there for a spot near the front? I was thinking of getting near the front by the side stage where they played the GPASUYF, Talk, The Hardest Part, etc, but not sure yet.

Great night.

The audiences finest moment vocally though was in Fix You when their massed vocal sounded great – again proving the theory that audience sing-a-longs sound much better when there is a majority of female voices in the audience.

After watching the video of Fix You that was posted in the other Melbourne concert thread, have to agree with that sing-alongs sound much better when there is a majority of female voices in the audience. :lol: