✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pete's Oxfam Blog - the Winter UK tour leg

busybeeburns

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homecoming..

We made it. And it was great! The band finally made it back to the start.. (well close enough, just a few tube stops away from Brixton). It was the first of three sold-out shows at the O2 Arena in London. This morning, I stepped off the Jubilee Line, at Greenwich North Station, looked up, and saw huge cranes sticking out of a big, white, dome-shaped tent. It was the sight of the Millenium dome. I had only ever seen it on TV, or from a distance on my way around London.. but today, the big show was inside this thing. The first thing Oxfam’s rep did, was get completely lost by going in the ’staff entrance’, going up some stairs and finding myself in a restaurant warehouse, going through a door, past some bemused bar staff polishing glasses, down some steps, and finding myself by the main entrance.. Lot’s easier. I set up the Oxfam tables and got ready to meet the volunteers. Another great group tonight. Full of energy. Keen to get started.. Another massive crowd tonight. Waiting to applaud the band’s homecoming.

It’s been a long way around to get to where we are. Show # 73 was on the day sheet. Crikey. Oxfam has had an amazing time on the tour so far. Almost 70′000 people have taken action with us, or signed up. Incredible stuff.

You could see it on their faces up there on stage. Coldplay were happy to be home. Happy to play those songs, and say to a London crowd. “Hi, we’re called Coldplay, and we’re from London, England”. They were also joined on stage by Simon Pegg. Star of ’Spaced’. Hollywood star.. 5th band member of Coldplay (for one night only), and extraordinarily talented harmonica player. It was a great moment to see him up there, revoluntionary jacket an’ all.. on the C Stage.

The blog-off is on. Roadie #42 just pulled up a chair in Production, to ‘drop a quick blog’. It’s that post-non-load-out-show, quiet part of the day. Quiet descends as thousands of people leave and amps are turned off, leaving the background noise of tapping keyboards, the odd bleeping radio and humming radiators. The video director just walked in and told Roadie #42 that he had met some huge fans of his blog today.. I think I just lost the blog-off..

*At this point of the blog.. my laptop battery died (and I had left the charger in the hotel), so I’ll now pick up where I left off about 15 hours ago.

I’m back in production on the second show-day at the O2. Reflecting on last night, the faces that I saw wandering through the backstage halls, and most importantly, Oxfam’s awesome volunteers. More than 1000 more Coldplay fans pledged their support for Health and Education For All. Just a couple of hours until there will be 20 more volunteers waiting to sign-up the masses, and watch the show.

Just looking back over my shoulder at the Manchester shows. It was two great nights there. I thought I should also mention that the band once again took on the ‘mighty’ crew in football.. It was a similar outcome to what’s gone before, but a well contested game, all the same. I think the crew could hold their heads high afterwards. I met Jonny’s Dad yesterday and told him his son is a very talented footballer.. Better get ready for tonight’s show. There are a lot of people descending on Greenwich tonight. And they are not coming to see where time began..

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=130

The blog-off is on. Roadie #42 just pulled up a chair in Production, to ‘drop a quick blog’. It’s that post-non-load-out-show, quiet part of the day. Quiet descends as thousands of people leave and amps are turned off, leaving the background noise of tapping keyboards, the odd bleeping radio and humming radiators. The video director just walked in and told Roadie #42 that he had met some huge fans of his blog today.. I think I just lost the blog-off..

could he be talking about Chavi and Camille ?!?!?!?! :D camille made another sign

Lots of people at the O2.

December 15th, 2008 / No Comments » / by plusby

Just counting the pledges at the Oxfam tables by section 110 at London’s O2 Arena. The Oxfam volunteers have handed in their sheets, and gone in to take their seats. ‘Speed of Sound’ is ringing through the doors, each time someone swings it open, to run to the toilet, or grab some fish n’ chips.

The total so far tonight is 1188. All those names, showing their support, can make a real difference to people’s lives. One person can make a big difference. 1188 can make a huge difference. Imagine what 6 million could do.. Oxfam is asking 6 million people to make the Health and Education For All pledge, to represent the 6 million more well trained and accessible doctors, nurses and teachers that are needed. If Oxfam can put that sort of pressure on world leaders, they can’t ignore it.. especially if over 40′000 of them are noisy Coldplay fans!

I just popped my head through the door, to watch the noisyness, as the huge yellow balloons were released into the audience during ‘Yellow’. They are all now happily bobbing around off heads and raised arms.

Just came back and set up for tomorrow, and Coldplay are not even on for the encore yet. Now there’s efficiency and planning.. The masses are streaming out now, to cram waiting tube trains, buses and Thames clippers full of happy punters. It’s amazing how popular this band are. I always forget how many people are in these arenas, until they all leave at once, after Coldplay have left the stage. Thank you to the 1188 of them, who took the time to talk to an Oxfam campaigner and get involved with the campaign. Maybe some of those 1188 will be back as campaigners themselves someday, getting in free to the show, on the invitation of the band. Thanks also to our 17 great volunteers from today!

I’m off to bed as soon as I get to the hotel. It’s been another long day. I just realised that almost everyone has left the building.. or is relaxing in the bar. I’ll see you tomorrow. Pete

could he be talking about Chavi and Camille ?!?!?!?! :D camille made another sign

:wideeyed: :wideeyed: :dance: :dance:

no mention of me ?! Boo Pete !!

:P

An Old Trafford-full of Oxfam and Coldplay supporters.

The Coldplay tour, along with it’s Oxfam rep, has now travelled to Belfast City, and I have not even talked about the last show in London yet.. so, just to recap, here’s a note from London.. 1200 people made the Health and Education For All pledge tonight. That’s almost 4000 for the London shows, great stuff. The UK tour has seen an incredible number of people giving their support on this Oxfam campaign. It also saw Simon Pegg, join Coldplay on-stage for some memorable harmonica moments..

The third London show was the final concert in England & Scotland for 2008. Oxfam GB was there, with a group of volunteers at every show. A massive 18′350 Coldplay fans made the Health and Education For All pledge over the 12 shows! That’s the equivalent of a capacity crowd at the Birmingham NIA, plus the Liverpool Echo Arena, and all of their staff and security, standing up at once, and pledging their support. A truly incredible level of support, to add to the global movement of people speaking up about Health and Education For All.

A massive thank you to every Oxfam volunteer, who helped Oxfam to get an average of 1544 pledges per night! That’s more than 1 in 7 of all the people who went to see Coldplay on their UK tour.. and I know for a fact, there were a few who wen’t twice (you know who you are). It’s an awesome response. Coldplay have invited Oxfam on their tour, so that our volunteers can talk to their fans about current campaigns and Oxfam’s amazing work around the world. Each day, Oxfam’s coordinator arrives at the venue, with the rest of the 50 strong crew and set’s up for the show. That’s usually just a couple of tables, banners, t-shirts, petition sheets, leaflets and a few badges. From this small presence, Oxfam has seen a huge whirlwind of support. Thousands of people taking small actions together. That adds up to a lot of pressure on world leaders.

Oxfam has been at 72 of the 76 Coldplay shows, so far this year. Overall, a huge 73′186 Coldplay fans have stopped and signed up. Either signing to directly support Oxfam campaign work on Health and Education For All, Fair Trade, Agricultural policy in Germany, or to join an online active community of supporters spreading across USA. That number of people could almost fill Manchester United’s famous Old Trafford football stadium.. which is a lot of people.

It’s been an incredible journey that’s brought us here to Belfast, for tonight’s show, at the Odyssey Arena. Another 8000 Coldplay fans, will get their chance to see possibly this years most successful band. They will be joined by 20 volunteers from Oxfam Ireland. Before a chord has been struck by Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman, or a mic lifted by Chris Martin, or a drumstick picked up in anger by Will Champion.. Oxfam will have been working tirelessly to give people the chance to get involved in helping to overcome poverty. 4 more shows to go. 33′000 more fans. Let’s see if we can hit 80′000 sign-ups overall!

------

:D :D :D :D :D :D

edit : oops three posts in a row .. :P

Belfast - Odyssey arena #1.

Just went past the Odyssey (which will be the last stop of the tour). Heading for Dublin, the second last stop on the tour. The band are still on stage, entertaining the 8000 strong crowd. Foot-stomping and singing was in full force, as I packed up the Oxfam road case in the dressing room hall. The night is still young. The bus pulled out at 10:30pm “on-the-head” as the driver put it. This must be what it feels like to be in one of the vans that does a runner straight after the show. I’m off early, with the ‘Eat to the beat’ catering team, beating the traffic and heading for the hotel, in the hope of a ‘regular’ night sleep..

Belfast was a fun city. I’m glad we’re heading back before it‘s over. Oxfam volunteers were signing up the crowd to become campaigners. The sheet simply said. “Coldplay. Sign up to use your power”. In the new year, Oxfam Ireland will update them on the Climate Change campaign, which will be a massive part of Oxfam’s work in 2009. For now, they can just sit back and enjoy the show. Or.. Alternatively.. Stand up and stamp their feet and enjoy the show.. Why not eh? It’s Friday!

20 more brilliant volunteers. It’s got to be the best part of my job. Working with them everyday. Without their energy, Oxfam-on-tour would not be possible, and would not happen. It’s great to see them waiting there every day. Especially when they are waiting out in the furious Belfast wind and rain of an evening. That’s dedication for you.

The biggest cheer I heard before I left was after Chris Martin replaced the words at the end of ‘Violet Hill’ with “If your Irish.. Won’t you let me know”.. Dublin will have a hard act to follow.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=133

The tour comes to Dublin.

I’m sitting in the newly revamped O2 Arena, Dublin. Last Tuesday, this venue was re-opened. Coldplay is only the third show to pass through. 8′500 people will pack into the arena tonight, and again tomorrow. There is only three days to go on this tour. I thought I was going to escape the strange illness that has been doing the rounds in the crew. Unfortunately, it got me in the end. I’m on the kiwi fruits and orange juice today..

Yesterday, I visited the famous storehouse of Arthur Guinness. The cobbled streets and darkened passages around the old factory buildings was quite a sight. Real atmosphere. You could just imagine the barrels rolling down the streets and a huge workforce piling in and out. The black gates through the streets guarding the special secrets of this ancient brew.. As we pulled up on the open-top bus tour, it felt a bit like Charlie the Chocolate Factory for adults. Sadly.. I didn’t see any umpa-lumpas..

939 people signed up to be campaigners at the last show in Belfast. It was a good start for Oxfam Ireland. Lot’s of people making their mark and taking a moment to find out a bit more. That’s 74′125 people who have done just that on the tour so far. Countless more will have seen us there and hopefully gone in an Oxfam shop, bought someone a goat for christmas, or signed up online. Maybe even read this blog, to see what the tour part is all about. Oxfam’s work goes far beyond this paragraph I write every couple of days, from the road. It’s life-saving work, in the case of disasters. Working with local partners to help people out of poverty. Getting more children in school. Giving people the supplies they need, when they lose their homes. Campaigning to put pressure on governments to help people change their lives for the better. Those are the sorts of reasons that Coldplay supports Oxfam. Because Oxfam helps to give people in poverty a voice and a better chance. If you are coming to a Coldplay show, why not come and talk to one of Oxfam’s volunteers, to see how you can use your power? If you are not, then, why not click on one of the Oxfam links, over there on the right, and see what you can do there.. sign an online petition calling for action to combat climate change, give a different sort of gift, buy Fairtrade smellies, join an outreach group, make a donation. Whatever fits for you. There are plenty of ways to use your power.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=134

971 stand up to be counted.. and a few more.

It’s quite a spectacular sight to see 8′500 Coldplay fans on their feet in Dublin, singing the final few lines of ‘Yellow’. I came back here into the crew room to write, and heard a similar roar of noise at the end of ‘Fix you’. ‘Viva’ has just struck up as well, and I can already hear the chanting starting.

971 of those people, on 1942 feet, all signed up with Oxfam tonight. They all now have the chance to be active campaigners for Oxfam in the years to come. 2009 will be a huge year for Oxfam, and Coldplay as well. They will be back here for a massive outdoor show in September. Maybe some of those people who signed up, will be volunteering as campaigners themselves next year..?

There’s that chorus. I might have to nip out and see this… The seats are all banked up in front of the stage. Everyone is packed in together, all with a great view. Must be a fantastic view for the 4 in the band too. There is not a seat to be had out there. I’m sure the Oxfam team are enjoying their prize. Thank you to them for all their hard work. The completed sheets are all sitting safely here next to me. Enjoy the show!

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=135

The finishing straight.

We are nearly there. It’s a couple of days until Christmas. Time for the holidays and to welcome in a new year. Soon we will be travelling home. Getting over coughs, colds and extreme sleep deprivation weirdness. Just one more Coldplay show to do this year. The pillows are in sight.

I hadn’t seen much of the set for a while. Tonight, I stood, stage-left, with some of the Oxfam volunteers, to watch the amazing show. OK, so most of the songs may be the same, but I love seeing the crowds every time. People jumping around, singing the words, clapping at every opportunity, stamping their feet, holding their heads in disbelief, watching the show through a mobile phone - when the band are right there.. Stamping their feet - (whether they’re out of time or not.. Who really cares?) It’s great to see how captivated people are when seeing the show for the first time. It reminds me how great it is, that Oxfam is on the tour. How great it is that the volunteers get to see the show. How much people love this band. How awesome it is that the band want these people to be involved with Oxfam’s work. 1348 people joined Oxfam tonight. That’s 2319 people at the two Dublin shows. 1 in 7 people across the two nights. That’s a great response, and something for our volunteers to be proud of. There were a famous pair of sunglasses in the audience tonight too, which caught the eye of a few of our campaigners.. I saw you there Bono.. bobbing your head and singing along to ‘Viva’ at the Coldplay show.

The sprinter van that I’m in, is.. erm..sprinting along the motorway to Belfast. The driver isn’t even bothering to change lanes if there is nobody to overtake. He’s getting us there, and fast. It’s amazing to think that in about 28 hours, we will all be heading home. The band will be home. The 2008 Viva La Vida tour will be over. The curtain (or more appropriately, the giant ‘Viva’ banner on the stage), will have gone down, for the final time. I will miss it all when it’s gone. I’m sure I will also miss all the other roadies, when they are no longer around in the crew rooms and catering tables of various venues around the world. It will be good though, to unpack my bag, try on some clothes that aren’t stage black, catch up with people that I’ve lost touch with, buy some new socks, you know, that sort of thing.

It was the Christmas party last night. Personally, I think there may have been a tactic in there somewhere. Because today, it was another Band v Crew match. Goals were flying in from everywhere, as were injuries, and scuffed shots. It was a fun time. I’m sure the friendly rivalry will continue long into the future.

I’m not thinking too much about that for now though. Just enjoying the moment. On tour with a great bunch of people, with one of the best bands in the world. Thousands of people joining Oxfam’s amazing work. One more show to go.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=136

I'm afraid the bearer of bad news :cry:

I sent Pete a Christmas card from us all :D

http://www.123greetings.com/view/12524208004742357457

I received a thank you today, and he will no longer be with us in a Coldplay capacity.

It has been great to meet Coldplayers along the route of the tour. You have all been very kind. Unfortunately it seems that I will not be able to continue further on the tour into the new year. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed my blog though, and hopefully Coldplayers have taken something from it, and got involved with Oxfam too.

Gonna miss you Pete :(