✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

14-Sep-2009: Phoenix Park, Dublin - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

busybeeburns

Coldplay light up Phoenix Park as season ends on a high note

1224254556262_1.jpg

THE SIGHT of grass bleached by the dry weather of recent days made it feel like a late summer’s evening in the heart of the countryside and not in the biggest urban park in Europe.

Coldplay might be as fashionable as Formica in certain circles but there are few acts that could draw a crowd of more than 30,000 people to the Phoenix Park on a Monday night in September.

The band with the biggest selling album of the last two years – Viva La Vida has sold eight million copies to date – brought their stage show to Dublin at the end of a marathon 15-month tour.

It was gig number 156 of a 159-date odyssey which began in June 2008 and will end in London on Saturday night for a group that lead singer Chris Martin described as the “world’s biggest soft rock band”.

“Thanks for missing your homework or whatever else you do on a Monday night,” he said.

He told the multitudes singing along to Yellow that they blew every other audience away.

Last night’s audience was predominantly female but there were plenty of twenty- and thirty-something couples. It was eminently civilised, as one would expect from a Coldplay concert.

Even the weather matched the lyrics of Coldplay’s latest single Strawberry Swing : “It is such a perfect day”.

It was dry and even the cloud cover made it balmy for the time of year.

The band opened up with two songs from Viva La Vida , an instrumental version of Life in Technicolor , followed by Violet Hill.

But the biggest reactions were to songs such as Yellow, which produced a cascade of yellow balloons, In My Place and Fix You , which encouraged the production of lighters and mobile phones. In an unaccompanied section, Martin played snatches of Jimmy McCarthy’s Ride On for the home-town audience.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0915/1224254556262.html

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as Manchester except a small cover of an Irish song called "Ride On" (best known for being performed by Christy Moore) at the end of The Hardest Part. Also the first time in Cemeteries of London when it came to that part he changed it to Dublin. Other than that I'd imagine everything was the same as Manchester!
Thanks! Did Ride On replace Postcards?

Just on a bit of a side note I don't know if it was done at the other previous shows but they played some hip hop song not long before they came on stage was just wondering if anybody knew what it was??

Thanks!

It's a song by Jay-Z, they play it before every show :)

This might be a stupid question, but do you know why he's been wearing a sort of scarf recently? Is it that cold or is it just a fashion thing? Or is he in some strange way trying to protect his throat so he doesn't get sick?? hmmm.... that Mr. Martin...he is a tricky one to figure out, isn't he? ;)

I am pretty sure he caught a cold and he wants to finish the tour badly so he wears a scarf to protect his voice/throat as best as he can.

Back from Coldplay. Absolutely amazing I'm too excited to sleep but also sad that the concert is over. Got really close to the stage Chris Martin is really really gorgeous.

Oh yes! :P

Too amazing to put into words right now! Best gig I've ever been at!

Also someone near the front had a funny banner. It said, "Chris I wanna have your Apples!" lol

:inquisitive:

In reference to his daugher?

I don't find that very appropriate...

How did he react?

Same as Manchester except a small cover of an Irish song called "Ride On" (best known for being performed by Christy Moore) at the end of The Hardest Part. Also the first time in Cemeteries of London when it came to that part he changed it to Dublin. Other than that I'd imagine everything was the same as Manchester!

Great! A new song! :dance:

Did anyone take a video of it? We'd love to hear it :)

Okay folks, logging in from my hotel in Glasgow! :)

Yesterday's show has been bloody amazing, everything around was more than perfect and Chris fucked up the beginning of THP as someone (a girl/woman) in the crowd yelled his name and he was really thrown off track by it and he was then joking that only his mum yelled at him like that ... everyone was laughing and cheering.

He was in an absolutely chirpy mood despite his cold/throat problems.

His singing voice was still great though but you could hear it when he was talking (which he did a lot).

C-Stage was wonderful with Trouble and everyone singing along :)

So when Billie Jean was on Chris changed a line and instead of singing 'She thinks that I am the one ...' he sang 'She thinks that Will is the one ...' which got everyone laughing.

Loads of Chris/Will action to be seen on the huge screen ... a sight for sore eyes :)

I was standing miles away from the stage and therefore hardly took any decent pics but I am going to upload some later on nevertheless.

Oh and I kind of pumped into Phil and he remembered me from Nijmegen (and that I told him which concerts I was going to see) and he gave me a signed LRLRL CD :)

When going out, I didn't get one and I just saw a few people having one CD so I don't know where they handed them out ... :confused:

Hi,

For those lucky to attend can you tell me if there was an Inner Circle bit at the front? or Golden circle or whatever you want to call it? Basically, somewhere that you can get access to if you're in early? If so can you also get in and out to get drinks, toilets ..etc via a hand stamp or bracelet or similar?

Many Thanks :laugh3:

Thanks! Did Ride On replace Postcards?

No Chris still played Postcards. It was just one or 2 lines that he added onto the end of The Hardest Part! Also at the start of Yellow most of the crowd were singing Olé Olé Olé Olé chant to which Chris was playing along on guitar which was nice :D

Hi,

For those lucky to attend can you tell me if there was an Inner Circle bit at the front? or Golden circle or whatever you want to call it? Basically, somewhere that you can get access to if you're in early? If so can you also get in and out to get drinks, toilets ..etc via a hand stamp or bracelet or similar?

Many Thanks :laugh3:

There was no Inner/Golden Circle yesterday. Just a race to the front! For the support acts some people were able to go the toilet/get drinks but as it got later and more people came in you'd never get back anywhere near the front if you went for drinks/toilet.

Oh yes! :P

:inquisitive:

In reference to his daugher?

I don't find that very appropriate...

How did he react?

Great! A new song! :dance:

Did anyone take a video of it? We'd love to hear it :)

No no it was just a joke! Meaning the person wanted to have babies for Chris haha

I'm sure that videos will appear on youtube but it wasn't a full cover just 2 or 3 lines added onto the end of The Hardest Part :)

Yesterday's show has been bloody amazing, everything around was more than perfect and Chris fucked up the beginning of THP as someone (a girl/woman) in the crowd yelled his name and he was really thrown off track by it and he was then joking that only his mum yelled at him like that ... everyone was laughing and cheering.

:laugh3: !!!

His singing voice was still great though but you could hear it when he was talking (which he did a lot).

So when Billie Jean was on Chris changed a line and instead of singing 'She thinks that I am the one ...' he sang 'She thinks that Will is the one ...' which got everyone laughing.

Loads of Chris/Will action to be seen on the huge screen ... a sight for sore eyes :)

I was standing miles away from the stage and therefore hardly took any decent pics but I am going to upload some later on nevertheless.

Oh and I kind of pumped into Phil and he remembered me from Nijmegen (and that I told him which concerts I was going to see) and he gave me a signed LRLRL CD :)

When going out, I didn't get one and I just saw a few people having one CD so I don't know where they handed them out ... :confused:

Awesome that you got a CD!!! :stunned: :dance:

I found a video of THP!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2W4-oeQX2U]YouTube - Coldplay The Hardest Part Phoenix Park Dublin 14th September 2009[/ame]

Thanks for your review! :)

Chris really seemed chatty!

And when he stops because someone screams his name, it's really too funny. :lol:

You bumped into Phil? :stunned:

And talked to him, again?

And he gave you a signed CD?

:shocked2:

Lucky you!!!!

:)

I couldn't find anyone giving out LRLRL either! Lucky I got two in Manchester, my friend asked someone where they got them but they said it was a long way back and they had an extra one so they gave it to my friend. I saw the poster of : Chris I want your Apples too! I think I saw Chris nudging Will and pointing at it and laughing..but maybe im wrong!

I was there last night and just happened to spot what I thought was gonna be the c-stage so promptly positioned myself right beside it! Sure enough, I was right!! Brilliant stuff! So close to the action....got great pics too (including Chris's sweaty backs of his knees!!) Another triumphant gig by our boys....certainly giving our very own Bono a major run for his money ;-) Anyone let me know how to upload photos please???

Ok, here are my photos and video. I have more photos and some videos but the sound on the videos came out really badly.. otherwise enjoy.

dscf4376.jpg

dscf4348o.jpg

dscf4336y.jpg

dscf4273p.jpg

dscf4275b.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPScqe-Q_Jo]YouTube - Chris Martin Screws Up The Hardest Part Live in Dublin[/ame]