✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

14-Sep-2009: Phoenix Park, Dublin - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

busybeeburns

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got no LRLRL either! another person at the gig who took a different exit got none aswell!

Ride On was merely a short snippet at the end of THP which as always lead into postcards..

major cheer when Magnificent was played after elbow!

great gig.. heres a few pics!

29964199.jpg

29965721-90804695bc71f6970bb170568ffd24cb.4aafd81c-scaled.jpg

29964433-0885a14201a108f3589c0f8ac62f2250.4aafd81d-scaled.jpg

29965894-047ead78feef508f430b57ed1040e197.4aafd87a-full.jpg

29965969-df64027bea555ad1505045134f810d76.4aafd879-scaled.jpg

29966162-610e76a82ccf8713702443c023102173.4aafd8a6-scaled.jpg

29966236-262aa6a53924a01b68f7945e1e3ba32b.4aafd8ca-scaled.jpg

29966327-f0eef897581980b82177685ca1f73b00.4aafd8d9-full.jpg

Just back in Belgium!

Verry Tired so I'll be short for today!

We woke up at 8am because we wanted to be front row! We were the VERY FIRST at gate 3 (Nobody at gate 1 and 2) Strange!

mini_090915102538679335.jpg

I thought there will be more people. We were alone till 11am when 2 Spanish boys came. At 12 am we were 20 2 belgian guys, 10 Spanish, 1 french and some Irish I Guess.

-I usually see Coldplay in french speaking countries, so I noticed He was more joking, speaking etc in Dublin. it's easier for him! T' was funny!

-I like this girl hanging a sign "Finger me like you finger your guitar"

-Funny the video at the end of Yellow.

-A girl stopped Chris at the begi of the Hardest part! He said "You shout like my mother when she's angry" or something like that.

-Chris "It's not false modesty but we didn't expected such a welcome"

-"It is said that modays night's audience is the worst, but Irish peolple show us it is terrible fucking false"

-"I'm not going to sing City of blinding lights tonight"

Here are some pics, more to follow tomorrow in best quality.

mini_090915101910490910.jpg

mini_09091510192570560.jpg

mini_090915101856763575.jpg

mini_090915101341244045.jpg

mini_090915104603364055.jpg

-"I'm not going to sing City of blinding lights tonight"

:laugh3:

Funny Chris.

Yes, he seems more chatty in English-spoken countries, too bad for the Frenchies like me...

I wish he'd talk like that in France too!

Thanks for your review and pictures! :)

Also at the start of Yellow most of the crowd were singing Olé Olé Olé Olé chant to which Chris was playing along on guitar which was nice :D

Just! it was sung several times by the crowd (in which lot of spanish front)

you'd never get back anywhere near the front if you went for drinks/toilet.

Yes, because I was front row I had to pee from 5pm to 11! Be carefull

I think I saw Chris nudging Will and pointing at it and laughing..but maybe im wrong!

That's right, but I thougt it was for the ("finger me...." I talked about before)

there were other signs

"I want your babies"

"Fix me"

"See you soon"

FINGER ME LIKE YOUR GUITAR/BASS

Hi! I'm one of the Spanish guys with the "finger me like your guitar/bass" poster that Francois told before! Yesterday it was my first coldplay gig ever and I'm still shocked! I can't believe I attended a coldplay concert and at the very first row!

We arrived at Phoenix Park near midday... and we got to the entrance by 1 pm. My two friends and I met other two Spanish guys there, and some others coming from Mexico. We were so surprised that there were only around 15 people there, and most of them speaking Spanish!

Once we got in, we started to talk to the security staff, and my friend had the idea of asking them for a piece of white box. So she wrote with a pilot pen the famous FINGER ME LIKE YOUR GUITAR/BASS. She got the attention of all the security guards, and even some kinda proposition, like "that guy wants to finger your G strings":D:D:D

When the Coldplay show started, I got frantic and I took the poster (I don't know the exact name in English, is that poster?) and waved it the highest I could. I'm about 1.85m so I got Chris to kinda read it by the first songs of the gig, but I think he couldn't manage to read the whole sentence (it wasn't easy, we used a pen :P). Then, we concentrated on the songs and we forgot about the poster.

By the end of the show, I took the poster again, I don't remember why and even I don't remember in which song (perhaps death and all his friends or life in technicolor II). That time, Chris saw it, and read it... and I'm sure he did because many gestures showed up in his face in only 3 seconds, I imagined his thoughts were like: "what's that? am I reading finger me...??:stunned: yeah! and who's holding it? A beautiful girl? OH NO! IT'S A GUY!:shocked2: hahaha, I don't know if u're serious but you've got my attention :wink3: that was funny!:smug:"

And I didn't see him nudging Will, but he nudged Guy for sure and seeked the poster, but HOLY CRAP! I wasn't waving it so Guy just took a glance and I couldn't get him to see the hole sentence.

That was our anecdote hahaha (in Spanish jajajaaj :P). I've got some great pics from the first row, I'll try to learn how to upload it here so as to show you.

I'm sorry about my English... it's nice to meet you!

Hi! I'm one of the Spanish guys with the "finger me like your guitar/bass" poster that Francois told before! Yesterday it was my first coldplay gig ever and I'm still shocked! I can't believe I attended a coldplay concert and at the very first row!

We arrived at Phoenix Park near midday... and we got to the entrance by 1 pm. My two friends and I met other two Spanish guys there, and some others coming from Mexico. We were so surprised that there were only around 15 people there, and most of them speaking Spanish!

Once we got in, we started to talk to the security staff, and my friend had the idea of asking them for a piece of white box. So she wrote with a pilot pen the famous FINGER ME LIKE YOUR GUITAR/BASS. She got the attention of all the security guards, and even some kinda proposition, like "that guy wants to finger your G strings":D:D:D

When the Coldplay show started, I got frantic and I took the poster (I don't know the exact name in English, is that poster?) and waved it the highest I could. I'm about 1.85m so I got Chris to kinda read it by the first songs of the gig, but I think he couldn't manage to read the whole sentence (it wasn't easy, we used a pen :P). Then, we concentrated on the songs and we forgot about the poster.

By the end of the show, I took the poster again, I don't remember why and even I don't remember in which song (perhaps death and all his friends or life in technicolor II). That time, Chris saw it, and read it... and I'm sure he did because many gestures showed up in his face in only 3 seconds, I imagined his thoughts were like: "what's that? am I reading finger me...??:stunned: yeah! and who's holding it? A beautiful girl? OH NO! IT'S A GUY!:shocked2: hahaha, I don't know if u're serious but you've got my attention :wink3: that was funny!:smug:"

And I didn't see him nudging Will, but he nudged Guy for sure and seeked the poster, but HOLY CRAP! I wasn't waving it so Guy just took a glance and I couldn't get him to see the hole sentence.

That was our anecdote hahaha (in Spanish jajajaaj :P). I've got some great pics from the first row, I'll try to learn how to upload it here so as to show you.

I'm sorry about my English... it's nice to meet you!

sounds good... !

Hi folks, here's my review:

First of all, English isn't my mother tongue, so, I'll try my best!

(does anyone can explain to me how to upload pics to the gallery?)

We decided to go to Dublin in January when the Stadium tour was announced. We've chosen Dublin to make a trip in this country we've never been to.

The show was the final point of a one week trip across Ireland. We haven't had any rain! Great when we know it was raining daily since 3 months!

We arrived in Dublin 2 days befor the show to visit.

img9807h.jpg

Even 2 days before, there were already signs, and the stage was already setled.

img9819g.jpg

On the 13st we went to the Fritzsimons bar inTemplebar. There was a gig. When the band began to sing "viva la vida" people went crazy! Dancing and singing everywhere! For Sure they were going to the phoenix park on Monday!!!

After a very short night, I can't sleep! We were the day D! My mobile had to ring at 8 am but I was awake since 6.30! At 8 am I went out of My bed, took My trouser, a suit, My ticket and go! Over excited! 8 hour could seem early but we ABSOLUTELY WANTED to be front row a this time!

We went to the supervalu to buy some food and drink because the day will be very long!

at 8.55 we took a bus aston quay. We got out at Parkgate street and we had to follow the signs till THE PLACE!

The Sky was gray. I really didn't want any kind of rain! finger crossed!

We walked a endless straight ahead road. There were signs every 10m saying "not parking allowed today" and big generators with light and police cameras for later.

After this endless walk, we saw the HUGE STAGE! great!

We went to the crew and VIP entrance to ask our way to a steward. there were already lot of tour busses, catering trucks, etc, etc...

At 10 am we were at one gate! The "gate 3" We were really, really surprised because there were NOBODY! Strange! I asked a steward if it was the good place. I told me it was ok and that there were other gates (the 1 & 2) but that he haven't seen anybody there yet! I reminded me The gates were only opening at 5pm. "I know" I answered.

So the endless wait could begin...

img9820.jpg

One Irish local stopped and chatted with us. Saying we were crazy and that i hoped for us there won't be raining!

at 11am the 3st and 4st people arrived! YEAHHHH! There were spanish! They couldn't get tickets for Barcelona (fortunately:rolleyes:)

at 12 am we were 20, us, a lot of Spanish, one french and some Irish I think.

Then a Steward came and he old us we can't wait there, that the queue wasn't allowed there and that we had to queue next to the crew entrance!

It was verry strange, other stewards said the opposite! We made 2 go and returns! Nobody was understanding what it was happening! And everybody didn't want to lose is front place!!!

Finally, we found THE RIGHT PLACE! In fact, steward were not allowed to block the gate 3 street before 16pm. So, they didn't want the crowd in the street before that hour!

There were already 15 people at this new queue. unfortunalely for them, I took my front place back;). i met 2 other bangian guys who are studying at the same university as I'm!

Here's what we were seeing from the queue:

img9825.jpg

Suddenly, stewards were excited, they stopped cars, a "Viva Crew with a talkie came"

Yes, THE BAND WAS ARRIVING!

It was 16 PM, 3 cars with Police.

img9826.jpg

at that time the crowd was (finally) there. A lot of people!

at 16.40pm we were allowed to move to the gate! I was ready for the faster run of my life! we were at 800m/1KM of the gate!!!

Stewards were verry scared! They absolutely didn't want the crowd to run! In fact they came with us, there were stewards everywhere shouting "WALK! DON'T RUN! "SLOWLY" "GET OUT OF THE GRASS" etc!

twas strange!

img9829.jpg

after that we were allowed to go to the access control. Still with stewards shouting and stopping anyboby who was running!

after the bags control, my god, I was in front of this fucking huge stage! WOW great!

But still 500m to the goal! I've never "walked" as faster! I couldn't feel my legs and my foots! my god!

img9830.jpg

In the last 50 m, Steward couldn't do anything! RUN RUN RUN! I think I was as faster as Ushain Bolt:cool:

and then:

OH MY GOD! WE ARE FRONT ROW! YEAHHHHHHHH:o:o

Everybody was shouting, and congratulating each other! great! People went crazy :D

We began to sing viva la vida "oh oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh"

and "olé olé olé"

or "coldplay, coldplay"

I had to pee but you can imagine I was going to wait for a moment ;-)

Later White lies began, Poeple were verry receptive and even singing some songs!

it was cool! They thanks Coldplay for inviting them.

img9848y.jpg

Then Elbow came. they were fucking good! people enjoyed!

Before to leave, they talke about coldplay, saying it will be our best night ever and that they were good!

img9870u.jpg

Then it was over! People began to shout COLDPLAYYYYYYYYYYY.

People was pushing to get nearer and nearer. Stewards were giving some water.

Good music before the show as crew was cleaning up the stage.

After that MAGNIFICENT! The countdown had started! YIHAAA

Jay Z, and the dancing roadie, people were laughing.

And then BLUE DANBE

Roadies came to show the coregraphy!

One just in front of me said "come on guys, you paid for this fucking shit:stunned:"

And then, lights off, and LIT

I was so excited, COLDPLAY CAME with their light stuffs in their hands. I was ready for one of my best nights ever!

It was the first time I saw them in an English country so I was happy to hear chris talking, joking etc! i had never heard him as much before!

I will not repeat all anecdotes/jokes we talked about before

(finger me ..., Girls crying during THP, X factor, city of bliding lights, ...)

When Chris explained LRLRL was given away, He had one in his hands; He throw them in the crowd but the cd crashed between the stage and us!!! A steward gave it to the girl next to me; Fuck! i wish I was a girl!

I think it was my best Colplay show ever! Chris was runing everywhere, jumping etc!

Politik rocked! I verry enjoyed it! With the light show to be blind for the rest of your life :o

At the end, they disapeared quickly to avoid the crowed I think. (the VIP out was full with thousands of peoples 30 min after! It was the only road to reach the Dublin center) Even Chris told Johnny to hurry!

As you can see here, Chris was fast!

img0057kr.jpg

After the show, I stay there for minutes thinking about what i've just seen... trying to get from the stewards a setlist (not succesful)

(and thinking, oh shit, Tomorrow I would be at University in Belgium:laugh3:)

Buses were crowded; we had 1 hour walk to reach the center and.. the burger king! (We only eat 1 packs of cookies between 8am and 3pm :\)

Streets were FULL of people back from the concert, singing "oh oh oho hohhhhhhhh"

Actually MY BEST COLDPLAY SHOW EVER! Really.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the mistakes and for my "french English"

see you folks!

VIVA LA VIDA!

Some PICS:

img0051cf.jpg

img9895.jpg

img9908j.jpg

img9996h.jpg

img0033sn.jpg

ALL MY PICS HERE:

Thanks for your review and pictures François!! You took plenty of them! :)

I like this one:

IMG_0034.JPG

They seem to have noticed or recognized something/someone...!

Hi! I'm one of the Spanish guys with the "finger me like your guitar/bass" poster that Francois told before!

I'm kinda shocked by your banner...

:stunned:

:confused:

Thanks for your review and pictures François!! You took plenty of them! :)

I like this one:

IMG_0034.JPG

I'm kinda shocked by your banner...

:stunned:

:confused:

I think they infact noticed the banner "Finger...."

I like this one:

yeahhhhhhhh, that was the exact moment when chris showed the guys our banner :)

thanks for the review and the pics francois, specially for that one!!

here are some of my pics too:

3927627102_8cc593963f_b.jpg

3927628694_838a4aabbc_b.jpg

3926849349_b58c1e44ca_b.jpg

3926845075_945a82733e_b.jpg

3926843483_fae2581339_b.jpg

3927622730_ecc776ef2e_b.jpg

3926840479_e8f40980ec_b.jpg

trying to read sth chris?? hahahaha, sorry about the quality :(

3926839027_b1543ea3e1_b.jpg

and here you can see the stweards having some fun with the banner!

3927605132_9868bcffff_b.jpg

Thanks for your amazing pictures luguy! :)

I'm really surprised that everyone is laughing about your banner...yeah, maybe it's a cultural thing! I can't imagine a banner like that in France, I think everyone would consider it rude...

Well, I don't really know...

But it's interesting!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

COLDPLAY: Just like you, I thought they were boring. Then I saw them live.

On Monday I started a new job. Twelve of us are doing a two week induction. When one of the guys mentioned that he’d be tired on Tuesday morning because he was going to the Coldplay concert that night, the trainer told him not to worry, as he would be able to get plenty of sleep during the concert!

The guy meekly replied, “They’re not that bad.”

He’d probably spent around 70 Euros for the ticket, but that was the best reply he could give. Despite being one of the biggest bands in the world and the lead singer married to a Hollywood star, people think Coldplay are dull.

No one shouts about being a Coldplay fan, but someone must have bought the albums, otherwise the band just wouldn’t be so big.

Coldplay have no street cred. To admit to being a Coldplay fan is open yourself up to the possibility of being perceived as being boring.

Anyway, when I got home from work on Monday, my housemate offered my girlfriend and I, two tickets to see Coldplay in concert at Phoenix Park! His mother had won them in a radio competition. He’d arranged to go with a friend but had been let down at the last moment.

I’d never got into Coldplay’s music, never been to Phoenix Park and the prospect of standing out in the open on a Monday night for a couple of hours, with the possibility of rain, wasn’t particularly appealing, but I was curious. What were they like in concert?

The answer is they were absolutely brilliant. Chris Martin, the lead singer, worked hard to build a rapport with the audience, thanking us for coming out on a Monday night and spending money to see Coldplay during a recession! The band’s boundless energy, humour and willingness to try and connect with audience was impressive, as to were the songs, musicianship, sound, stage and screens. Big yellow balloons, confetti and fireworks at the end, made it a great evening.

If Coldplay are boring, then every other band in the world is going to have to try much harder, because this band is fantastic where it matters – LIVE in concert.

http://dublinbabu.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/coldplay-just-like-you-i-thought-they-were-boring-then-i-saw-them-live/

Coldplay, Phoenix Park 2009, a pleasant evening of hygienic rock

Let me first freely admit that I’m not a huge Coldplay fan. I enjoyed A Rush of Blood to the Head when it was released in 2002 but never really continued listening after that. However a friend of mine was kind enough to offer me a free ticket to their Dublin concert, so along with a few folks, I headed off to the Phoenix park last Monday night.

The weather was perfect and the 30,000+ crowd were obviously in great form as the night got started, you could feel the energy in the air while Elbow provided warm up. Elbows’ music quite frankly bores me to tears, constantly swelling but going nowhere (seriously lads would it kill you to add a riff or melody?) but the band were so likeable and eager to entertain the crowd, that it’s hard to be critical of their performance.

And so on to Coldplay. Around 9 they hit the stage and from the offset it was obvious we were about to be bombarded by some serious soft rock. The lights dipped and the band skipped and frolicked on to stage, each member twirling a fizzing sparkler… I suddenly wondered if the term “fluffy rock” might be more appropriate. From the jaunty keyboard riffs to the just-adorable matching cavalry outfits, the impression was akin to watching an ageing but determined boyband take to stage.

But perhaps I’m being overly harsh. I have to admit the crowd went absolutely bananas during the opening five songs and Chris Martin’s energy in particular was mightily impressive, serving to remind me just how many old timers I’ve been going to see in concert recently. Coldplay put a serious amount of energy into their performance and the crowd reacted accordingly.

But the thing is, what stuck me the most about the band was their unbearably intense cleanliness. I wanted to run onto the stage and fling some mud at them, rip their clothes or get them blind stinking drunk, just to see some sort of grit or depth (I think they went to a more gutsy place when they wrote The Scientist but sadly decided once was enough). They are just so darned shiny, sweet and all round nice, that it’s an injustice to tag them as in any way, rock and roll.

Let me give you some contrast: Back in 2003 Ryan Adams released his album Rock n Roll and played the Olympia to promote it. I bought my ticket and went along expecting the usual new material and back catalogue selection. Ryan and the band played for 58 minutes, ripping through the Rock N Roll album like hell the musical, playing only one song that wasn’t from the album. Ryan sank a bottle of wine during the performance, argued with an eejit from the audience and fell about ripping chords from his guitar in a drug fuelled display of pure frustration, anger and belligerence. I left the concert furious that I’d spent my hard earned cash on 58 minutes of a concert but I have to admit, I absolutely buzzed with adrenaline from the pure anarchic rock and roll passion of it all. That was true rock. Of course it would be unreasonable to expect every musician to destroy themselves for their art but come on… sparklers?!

I would be doing Coldplay an injustice if I left this review at that though. Their dedication to entertaining their audience was nothing short of spectacular. We had dozens of massive bouncing balloons dropped on us, two explosions of fake autumn coloured leaves scattered across the crowd, impressive stage props, a free CD and a fireworks display – I’ve never seen a band put that much effort into entertaining a crowd, pretty impressive for a €76 ticket. Every person I looked at was enthralled, entertained and excited by the whole spectacle, so I will freely admit my less impressed response was in the minority. To sum up: An impressive evening of pop music, but next time I’ll pass the ticket on to a more deserving fan.

http://www.culch.ie/2009/09/17/coldplay-phoenix-park-2009-a-pleasant-evening-of-hygienic-rock/