✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you play an instrument?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my knowledge, a classical guitar uses nylon strings, whereas an acoustic can use nylon, but is usually steel string. They're generally lighter, and are constructed to suit classical music. An acoustic can be used for many types of music and vary in construction. The sound of an acoustic is usually brighter than a classical, but that can depend on strings. The classical tend to have flatter wider necks. The necks of acoustics are smaller and more curved. In my opinions acoustics are better, but y'know just my opinion... Hope this helps :)

---> exactly BAM_87 !! ^^ I couldn't say better :D and my acoustic guitar have a micro I can plug it :wink3:

i played violin for like, a year in grade school.

guitarists represent!! !

yeah exactly Guitarists represent !!!

What's the difference, really, between a classical and an acoustic? I have a classical... and I just realised that the fretboard is way too big for my fingers... :(

you probably have the same tiny petite Asian girl hands as me. that's why you find the classical guitar fretboard/neck too big. still playable, but takes quite a bit of stretching around. :(

on a non-technical level, i personally like the sound of the acoustic guitar's steel strings over the classical guitar's nylon strings. & i think the acoustic guitar is a better match sound-wise for pop music. but steel strings hurt the fingers more when you don't have the calluses yet...from a newbie's POV.

Thanks BAM_87!

Yeah, I had a hunch about not buying a classical... I wouldn't say my fingers are tiny petite, Kimgan... More like my fingers are short and stubby! I do think it has something to do with being Asian tho! :laugh3:

I tried playing a steel-string acoustic the other day at my friends house and it felt so much more easier to play, and my friend was all like, 'what? the classical is easier to play!' :dozey:

And now that I've had a taste of the acoustic, the sound of the classical doesn't satisfy me anymore... I know. I'm ungrateful. I can't wait to get a real job so I can get enough money to buy my dream guitar! :)

Thanks BAM_87!

Yeah, I had a hunch about not buying a classical... I wouldn't say my fingers are tiny petite, Kimgan... More like my fingers are short and stubby! I do think it has something to do with being Asian tho! :laugh3:

I tried playing a steel-string acoustic the other day at my friends house and it felt so much more easier to play, and my friend was all like, 'what? the classical is easier to play!' :dozey:

And now that I've had a taste of the acoustic, the sound of the classical doesn't satisfy me anymore... I know. I'm ungrateful. I can't wait to get a real job so I can get enough money to buy my dream guitar! :)

"tiny petite" sounds better than "short & stubby fingers"...haha ;)

i think ppl generally say the classical's easier to play cos of the nylon strings being less painful to hold down. but that's just my opinion, of course. it's probably an individual thing anyway.

I play the piano. I struggle at the guitar, both classical and electric :P

awww...i think you've nothing to worry about with Jonny as your guitar hero. :D

"tiny petite" sounds better than "short & stubby fingers"...haha ;)

i think ppl generally say the classical's easier to play cos of the nylon strings being less painful to hold down. but that's just my opinion, of course. it's probably an individual thing anyway.

I'm used to the steel strings on the electric, I guess it wouldn't really bother me on an acoustic? I've never played an acoustic before :inquisitive:

I have the same problem with the classical, the spaces between the frets are sometimes too wide for my fingers :\

awww...i think you've nothing to worry about with Jonny as your guitar hero. :D

:lol:

my calluses had to be re-developed...cos i stopped for a long time. so when i first tried playing a guitar again & it was a steel stringed acoustic, my fingers were sore after a few minutes. then after a while when the calluses formed back, i can play for longer....just not better. :p

Twizted Logik: Is the version of Street Spirit you know the alternate picking of mainly Am, Em and C?

My only problem with guitar is playing barre chords. My fingers are still too weak to be able to make a clear sound for a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully as I keep playing and get older i'll be able to. But I once played my friend's electric (actually it was right-handed and I turned it upside down :P since I can only play lefty) and I could barre it way easier.

I graduated with a Bachelors in Music Education, so technically, I can play all instruments (or enough to teach them to beginners) but my principal instruments are Horn, Trumpet, Flute, Piano, and Voice.

Right now, I teach private horn lessons and play in various brass groups/orchestras.

I play the piano. I struggle at the guitar, both classical and electric :P

The other way 'round and you have me. :D

I'll learn playing the piano in a few weeks.

I've had lessons in playing classical & eguitar. :D

At the moment I would struggle, but if you gave me 1 week,

I could play a few things again. :D