✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you play an instrument?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I play the clarinet, the saxophone and the oboe ^w^ ive recently been taking bass lessons and im fairly good @ it :crown:. my main instrument is the clarinet but i play the sax in jazz gigs :cool:. (btw if you have any info on coldplay sheet music for the clarinet, pleez PM me, thnx!)

Piano, violin.

Violin for about 1 year in school orchestra.

Piano 3 months, but i'm progressing quite quickly =)

I'm just now practicing Chopin's Nocturne in C-Sharp Minor Op.Posthumous. It's the Nocturne from the film The Pianist if you've seen it. (The one he plays when the bombs hit the radio station and finishes years after when he's free)

Jsalyers/Joe, send me a profile message! I need your help!

Piano, violin.

Violin for about 1 year in school orchestra.

Piano 3 months, but i'm progressing quite quickly =)

I'm just now practicing Chopin's Nocturne in C-Sharp Minor Op.Posthumous. It's the Nocturne from the film The Pianist if you've seen it. (The one he plays when the bombs hit the radio station and finishes years after when he's free)

Jsalyers/Joe, send me a profile message! I need your help!

That Chopin piece is so great indeed! Also very hard to play.

I play piano for a good time now, but still can't play the whole piece. :shocked2:

(probably because I wan't to play alot of different pieces :laugh3:)

You should try Chopin's Raindrop!

Or an easier Chopin song: Valse in A minor(Op.Posth.) :)

I had a very short-lived piano lessons growing up, at one point my mom borrowed a cool computer/keyboard program for me to practice on, but I struggled with the dexterity in my left hand so I usually gave after beating "your land is my land". I also got a recorder for my birthday, but that proved impossible too. While I loved music, I figured I wasn't skilled enough to play it well myself.

But then when I got through the basics on guitar, the rest came pretty easy. I started recording my own simple songs. And as I got into coldplay I started learning chords and piano tabs for our ancient yamaha keyboard. It all seemed impossibly distant until I got through the first loop.

I've been playing the keyboard since I was a kid, but I never learned how to read notes... Then that keyboard died on me in 2004 when I was learning how to play The Scientist and I just bought a new one earlier this year...

I still don't know how to read notes so I play by ear, but I'm planning to learn how to read them once I graduate from uni!

Oh and when the keyboard broke in 2004, I started playing the guitar. :)

In primary school, I was in a steel band, and we performed at a bunch of gigs. Twas awesome.

heh...same like me! i play by ear too, cos i don't really know how to read notes. i know music theory's important, but i find it kinda boring. & i've kinda forgotten what little i know too.

i've taken piano classes before - only covered really basic stuff, & took guitar lessons too before my SPM. only thing is my teacher was a classical guitarist, so i didn't really get to learn any pop songs & i had to stop shortly before SPM to focus on that instead.

basically rely on borrowing someone's guitar to play...as i've yet to get my very own acoustic guitar. currently playing stuff on a cheapo no-brand guitar a friend loaned to me.

(oh...& like any other M'sian, i used to have to learn to play the recorder at music class...but i was incredibly horrible at it)

Lol! Oh yeah the recorder. Oh GOD. I was rubbish at that! I never played it before Standard 6 cuz I was in England so when I came back to Malaysia, they handed me a recorder and expected me to know how to play it. Never did learn how to properly, but I can play 'My Heart Will Go On' cuz I pretty much invented the notes myself. Lol.

How old are you now, Kimgan?

i'm 28 going on 29 now...tho i don't really act my age still. :P

haha...yeah. i've never actually understood the logic that everyone's supposed to magically just know how to play the recorder in M'sian schools. if i actually had had a choice of what instrument to learn then, the recorder would not have ever been my choice...i'd have gone with either drums or guitar. heh

• 2 weeks later...

I play the guitar (I have 3 guitars : classical, acoustic and electric) I like the sounds of Jon & the edge, I try to play the piano - I learn it when I hear Coldplay and learn with my sister ^^ - and I try to play the harmonica...country yeeeeeehaaaa !!!! :laugh3:

From my knowledge, a classical guitar uses nylon strings, whereas an acoustic can use nylon, but is usually steel string. They're generally lighter, and are constructed to suit classical music. An acoustic can be used for many types of music and vary in construction. The sound of an acoustic is usually brighter than a classical, but that can depend on strings. The classical tend to have flatter wider necks. The necks of acoustics are smaller and more curved. In my opinions acoustics are better, but y'know just my opinion... Hope this helps :)