✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead Week: In Rainbows

6a00d41435db1e3c7f00e398c46c4f0003-500pi

Hmm... where do I start? In Rainbows has been one of the most important albums to me, not to mentioned probably one of my top 3, if not most listened to album ever! I dunno what it is about it but I feel that it's just a great album as a whole and even after I've listened to it 200+ times within the past year an 1/2 I'm still not tired of it at all.

I would like to just talk what the experience was for me around this time, so lets go back in time to roughly September 30th, 2007.

At this time Radiohead were posting a bit more regularaly on DAS. We had gotten some worm buffet codes saying things like "Blink Your Eyes, One for Yes, Two For No", and more importantly "Yes we are still alive". Prior to this many fans had felt Radiohead had abandoned them. They hadn't posted much new stuff and it was extremely frustrating. So to have this post people felt that perhaps they were going to post the album soon.

We did however get a bit of the studio clips, which Nigel Posted

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_UUrnb49k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_UUrnb49k[/ame]

This was so exciting because after the 2006 tour had ended we had had months where we had no idea what was going on. Of course there were posts signaling songs, and pictures with song lyrics but nothing more. Nigel's post finally showed us the light at the end of the tunnel that perhaps things were coming along.

It was October 1st, 2007. I normally checked DAS daily and like usual things were all the same as usual. I don't remember what time it was but later that late-afternoon/evening i refreshed the DAS and saw a new post by Jonny announcing what all of us had hoped for, the announcement of a new Radiohead album. What was so exciting was that it was to be released in 10 days!

Going to the new Radiohead page we were now able to get the album, but what's this? "Pay what you like". What an interesting idea that would take the news by storm of this new style of releasing songs.

I ended up though paying, and getting the boxset. When I found that there was a 2nd cd that had songs like 4 Minute Warning and Down is the New Up, I just had to get it. Let's just say I was not disappointed.

Fastforward to October 10th, 2007. This was the day that I was going to get to listen to the album. I became a fan and hooked to the band after the 2006 tour, right around the end of 2006-beginning of 2007. I can honestly say that that morning I haven't been so excited some something since christmas morning when I was a child and honestly it felt like christmas to me. :P

I got the download onto my computer and so the album began. Unfortunately I was used to the live 2006 versions so listening to the album was not entirely new persay.

15 Step opened the album, a wise choice. Listening to it I was a bit disappointed, Thom's voice sounded very reserved compared to live versions, and there was no reverb on his voice... all raw. At first I didn't really like the children singing either, I felt it to be a bit cheesy.

Next was Bodysnatchers. It was pretty good but a bit too heavy I felt, compared to the 2006 live version.

Nude came next. I loved it automatically. With the strings it was just perfect, although I must admit I was hoping for the glockenspiel to show up.

Weird fishes/Arpeggi came next, and this one I was quite impressed with.

All I Need followed and I was so happy with the results. It turned out to be amazing and I remember this being my favorite song off the album initially.

Next followed Faust Arp. I was so intreguied by this song because I never heard it prior. It was a sweet song slightly reminiscent of the Beatles, and I really liked it a lot.

Next came Reckoner. When I read the tracklisting I thought this was going to be the rocker Reckoner (aka Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses), so at first I was expecting that. I got a different song instead and throughout I was thinking, so when is the reckoner riff going to come in. It never did and I was completely puzzeled. Still I loved the song and felt it was really great!

Next was House of Cards. This song I also enjoyed quite a bit because it sounded a lot like the live version and I felt the song was done justice to.

Next came Jigsaw Falling into Place. After hearing the 2006 version of (when it was known as Open Pick), I was extremely excited for this song. When I listened to it I was a bit let down (no pun intended), because I was expecting it to be this real rocking song like the live version and it didn't have the acoutstic guitar.

Lastly came Videotape, the epic song that I was really excited to hear. This was by far the most disappointing song on the album. Like many others I was expecting this epic sounding song, like a mix between Paranoid Android and Pyramid Song, but instead I got a song that to me at the time sounded like someone was playing piano while driving on the highway and hitting those bumps that sounded like the drums.

A first I was really disappointed by In Rainbows. I didn't really care for the album title (would've prefered Endless Suburbia or Down is the New Up). The songs to me were too different from the live renditions that I was really let down.

So I figured I'd give it another listen to, so I did. And then I gave it another listen, and another, and another. It took quite a few listens before I started to get into the album finally. I remember that the song that took me the longest to get into was Videotape.

Since then I have listened to this album over and over again, and I'd figured I'd be sick of it but I'm still not. I feel it's just a perfect album, and is probably my 2nd favorite album of all time (followed behind Abbey Road).

I feel it's left such an impact on me, because that was a changing time for me going from HS to college, and Radiohead was right there. When I really got into them i sort of became obsessed with the music and constantly kept listening to their music. By following their In Rainbows material pre-the album, I was so excited for it, and it brings back great memories. I wish that I could go back in time and relive the excitement all over again.

-----------------------

Here are some of my favorite video's

15 Step:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e59Z949Pq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e59Z949Pq4[/ame]

Bodysnatchers:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Nude:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Arpeggi:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

All I Need:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Faust Arp:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Reckoner:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVA7Ap1vkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVA7Ap1vkQ[/ame]

House of Cards:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIzFsyK1AU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIzFsyK1AU[/ame]

Jigsaw Falling into Place:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYrY4k-dFoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYrY4k-dFoY[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCAdshYVTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCAdshYVTA[/ame]

Videotape:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44enmXven0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44enmXven0[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQTsJG3CVnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQTsJG3CVnE[/ame]

---------

I might like to write more in depth on the songs. Also I would like to schedule a listening party, perhaps two (for people that come online later)

Favorite Song-Nude

Least Favorite Song-Faust Arp

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm)- Nude (122)

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm)- Faust Arp (35)

Favorite song musically-Arpeggi or All I Need

Favorite song lyrically-Arpeggi or Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Favorite line of the album-"You'll go to Hell for What your dirty mind is thinking", "Don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen", "You are my center when I spin away, out of control on videotape", "Before you comatose", "You used to be alright, what happened. etcetera, etecetera. Fads for whatever. 15 Steps, then a sheer drop, "Bittersweet Distractor"

Most overrated song-none

Most underrated song-Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Current Favorite-All I Need or Jigsaw

Favorite when you first listened to the album-Nude or All I Need

What song best exemplifies each of the members off the album

Thom-Videotape or Nude

Jonny-15 Step or Bodysnatchers

Ed-15 Step or Jigsaw

Phil-Reckoner or All I Need

Colin-Nude or Arpeggi

I was getting home from a night class on a monday night. Checked DAS. Saw that pic of the band. Saw the note from Jonny. Thought "is this a joke?" because of the title and stuff. Then got ridiculously excited.

Then went on a Radiohead fast for 10 days leading up to the album.

Woke up at 7am to download the album and get a listen in before going to class that morning. Didn't have time to put it on my mp3 player, so it was torture. I just remember being incredibly excited on the bus just thinking about the songs. Then all day at school being impatient waiting to get home.

Haha Briggins, I remember your Radiohead fast. I was going to do it with you but gave up after a few days.

I remember the night it was announced, I was about to go to bed after a particularly frustrating session of trying to decode that worm buffet stuff, and i accidentally refreshed DAS one last time to see that post.... and I just flipped out completely. I remember being the first to post in the Radiohead thread and everyone else didn't seem half as excited as I was...

I woke up super early to download it almost as soon as it was available, and you're right, it was 100x better than christmas morning! :P Videotape also took me longest to get into, after Reckoner which I couldn't understand the hype about. But I have to say the whole album is excellent live and the tour was just brilliant.

Favorite Song-Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Least Favorite Song-Videotape

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm)- Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm)- Videotape

Favorite song musically-15 Step/Weird Fishes/ All I Need

Favorite song lyrically- All I Need

Favorite line of the album-"I get eaten by the worms...and weird fishes!" "Its all wrong, its all wrong! its all wrong! its all ri-ight!!" "I don't wanna be your friend, I just wanna be your lover." "Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen."

Most overrated song- House of Cards

Most underrated song- Nude

Current Favorite- All I Need

Favorite when you first listened to the album- Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Thom-Bodysnatchers

Jonny- Faust Arp/Weird Fishes/Jigsaw

Ed-15 Step

Phil-Nude/Weird Fishes/Reckoner

Colin-Nude/ All I Need

Favorite Song-Weird Fishes Arpeggi

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm)

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm)-

Favorite song musically-Weird Fishes & All I Need

Favorite line of the album-"I get eaten by the worms...and weird fishes"

Current Favorite- Nude

Thom-Bodysnatchers

Jonny- Weird Fishes arpeggi

Ed-15 Step

Phil-Reckoner

Colin-Nude

Favorite Song-I don't know

Least Favorite Song-

Favorite song musically- wth I don't know

Favorite song lyrically- Videoteape & nude

Favorite line of the album- well, this is really hard, but you are my center when I spin away and today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen;You'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thinking; oh god there are so many good lines missing

Most underrated song- Faust Arp

Current Favorite- 15 step

Favorite when you first listened to the album- House of Cards :uhoh:

Thom-Videotape, Jigsaw falling into place

Jonny- 15 step

Ed-Bodysnatchers

Phil-Reckoner all i need 15 step weird fishes ...

Colin-Nude

Favorite Song-Weird Fishes Arpeggi

Favorite song musically-Weird Fishes & All I Need

Favorite line of the album-"I get eaten by the worms...and weird fishes"

Current Favorite- Nude

Thom-Bodysnatchers

Jonny- Weird Fishes arpeggi

Ed-15 Step

Phil-Reckoner

Colin-Nude

^ :stunned: Dude, We're like, almost identical!

Favorite Song.. tough.. 15 Step

Least Favorite Song ..don't have one!

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm) 15 Step

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm) Faust Arp

Favorite song musically Bodysnatchers

Favorite song lyrically Videotape

Favorite line of the album "How come I end up where I started? How come I end up where I went wrong?" "You are my center when I spin away, out of control on videotape."

Most overrated song Reckoner

Most underrated song Bodysnatchers

Current Favorite 15 step

Favorite when you first listened to the song 15 step

Thom- Videotape

Jonny- 15 Step

Ed- Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Phil- Reckoner

Colin- Nude

In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead album.

It's the first album from them that I listened to and it’s what got me into Radiohead.

Favorite song – Reckoner or Weird Fishes/Arpeggi or 15 Step

Least favorite song – Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Most listened to song (iTunes/last.fm) -

Least listened to song (iTunes/last.fm) -

Favorite song musically –Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Favorite song lyrically – All I Need

Favorite line of the album – ‘Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen’ and ‘I'm an animal trapped in your hot car’

Most overrated song –

Most underrated song – Faust Arp

Current favorite – Nude or Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Favorite when you first listened to the album - Reckoner

Thom - Nude

Jonny – Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Ed – 15 Step

Phil - Reckoner

Colin – Nude

That was tough...

Favorite Song-Nude or Reckoner

Least Favorite Song-Faust ArpYou'll go to Hell for What your dirty

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm)- All I Need

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm)- Faust Arp

Favorite song musically- Reckoner

Favorite song lyrically- Bodysnatchers

Favorite line of the album- ''Get yourself together Let the light pour in Pour yourself a hot bath, pour yourself a drink''

Most overrated song-0

Most underrated song-Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Current Favorite- Videotape

Favorite when you first listened to the album-Nude

Thom- Nude

Jonny-15 Step

Ed- Bodysnatchers

Phil-Reckoner

Colin-Nude

15 Step, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi and Reckoner. :wacky: Reckoner is also my 2nd favourite Radiohead song.

Favorite Song - Weird Fishes

Least Favorite Song - Bodysnatchers

Most Listened to Song (iTunes/Last.fm) - Reckoner (130)

Least Listened to song (itunes/last.fm) - MK2 / Bangers & Mash

Favorite song musically - Weird Fishes

Favorite song lyrically - Videotape

Favorite line of the album - too difficult to decide. Each song has great lyrics.

Most overrated song - none

Most underrated song - Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Current Favorite - 15 Step (the Grammys version)

Favorite when you first listened to the album - Weird Fishes

Thom - Nude

Jonny - Bodysnatchers

Ed - Weird Fishes

Phil - Weird Fishes

Colin - Nude

Its definitely the most soothing Radiohead album I think. I mean bodysnatchers is a bit manic but on the whole its a whole lot less dissonant and easier on the ears than any of their previous albums IMO, yet they still managed to be amazingly original and creative throughout.