✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay months of 2009: AUGUST (5 Coldplaymembers huddling)

AnnaElisabeth

Ah, August.

Let’s start with a short video re-cap of the last shows on the Canada/US tour!

August 1st:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMEGz4u3Yzo]Osheaga Music and Arts Festival, Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal, Canada[/ame]

August 2nd:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcZeN1L-It8]All Points West Festival, Liberty State Park, New Jersey, NY[/ame]

(Features Chris’ piano tribute to Beastie Boys)

August 3rd:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72j8wPf_C_Y]Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA[/ame]

August 6th:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hx3IOtpdA]Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC[/ame]

August 7th:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGT36bIahYk&feature=related]Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC[/ame]

As the sweet summer month began (August 4th), Coldplay was honored with four nominations for Viva la Vida at the VMA’s; this included the nomination for Best Rock Video.

Stills from the Viva la Vida video by Hype William’s. (From coldplaying.com)

vivalavida00042.jpg

vivalavida00142.jpg

vivalavida02342.jpg

Four days later Coldplay were sorry to announce that they had to cancel the last show on their US tour due to illness. The fans in Tampa were of course devastated, and unfortunately the promised re-scheduling of the show has not yet happened.

Some comments to the Coldplay cancellation in Tampa, taken from Coldplaying.com.

i'm seriously still in disbelief. this was def. one of the highlights of my summer. my friend and i still want to drive down to the ampitheatre and make sure that it's all really real. i hope Chris gets better soon, and the show's rescheduled very soon. i think they're not meant to play on their original scheduled dates in Tampa, b/c isn't this the second time they've had to postpone and reschedule a show there? [thanks technicolor_love78]

Ok everyone, I just got to my friend's house in Atlanta. I got texts fron Kaleigh and Tracey as soon as I landed. I'm on page 69, and you guys are up to page 79, so I haven't yet read any commnents or anything. but I AM SO FREAKING BUMMED!!! We left for the airport at 5:15 this morning, so I didn't go online. I'll see what you all have been saying as I read the next few pages. I'm kinda waiting, for what, I don't know. But I guess I'll call Delta and see if I can just cancel the Atlanta-Tampa part of my ticket. On the way home, I was connecting through Atlanta again, so my flight was like 2 round trips. My friend here may be stuck with me until Monday night. And I have a non-refundable hotel room in Tampa, but really, do I want to hang out in Tampa for a day alone, just because I have a hotel room? But if by some miracle, they can do the show Monday, I'm so there...Thursday, I don't think I could do it - I can't really just hang out here for a week, and I"m sure flights are way too expensive to come back on such short notice plus I used miles to pay for this flight. I'm sorry Chris is sick and all, and I'll definitely try to come out again, and hopefully I can work it out with my kid's schedules if it's rescheduled in Sept sometime. [thanks lfdianne]

Right before the final U.S. show? OUCH. While that means they have over a week to rest before heading back to Europe, I feel absolutely awful for anyone who was planning on going, especially the few Coldplayers who were FLYING to see them in Tampa. The latter are the greater victims when it comes to money, so hopefully they can enjoy Florida for the heck of it, but considering how hyped this particular show was (more than the previous postponed show in NY), this is a real blow to excited fans. Keep your chins up, folks - maybe Wembley won't be the last show of the tour and you guys will be instead! [thanks Corkus]

Fortunately, for us European fans, Chris soon got better and the show went on…

On August 16th Coldplay began their European tour. It was stadium time, people!

First stop; Herning, Denmark. Here Will sang Til Kingdom Come, a brilliant performance, indeed!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dObd-ujN2Kw]Herning, Denmark. [/ame]

Thanks to juliejulle for the video!

This show also saw the light of the new stage…

herni1.jpg

After, as our dear Anchorman put it ‘cracking’ show, the boys continued, on a borrowed plane from U2, onwards to Bergen, Norway.

The show, after which Anchorman admitted that Norway was by far the blondest sea of heads he had ever seen, was the second on the European tour and the band was certainly starting to fill their big stadium shoes.

99blog01.jpg

Welcome to Stockholm Stadium, folks. On August 22nd Sweden welcomed Coldplay with open arms. (And apparently they liked our singing, Chris was stunned by the audience chorus on Yellow, and called us a gold-medal audience!) The show featured their regular set plus a special ad-libbed vocal from Amsterdam on Strawberry Swing (thanks to the fans in the front that held up signs for Chris, in case he forgot the words like he did the year before).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDwRfgAGL0]Chris forgetting the words to Amsterdam, in 2008[/ame].

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nYGFjLKII]Here is Strawberry Swing/Amsterdam.[/ame] Thanks to johkujii.

Next stop: Germany! In Hannover on the 25th the curtain literally fell on Chris, and the crowd was, according to Chris, singing like angels. (Not shown here :))

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mjAeY8U_Y]Opening to Hannover show[/ame]

August was drawing to an end and the 27th featured the first European photoblog. Live from Dusseldorf fans from around the world were able to follow the concert!

cduss1.jpg

cduss2.jpg

cduss3.jpg

farewellduss.jpg

Anchorman let the fans in on Chris’ thoughts about the show: “By the way, on the way home, Chris

was saying that it was one of his favourite Coldplay shows ever.”

Also, in Dusseldorf, one of us Coldplayers made a pretty sweet deal with a certain Chris Martin…

In Dusseldorf, Germany, one of us Coldplayers were rewarded with a very special gift…

Okay, here is a short review how I got Chris' shirt. Months ago I joked with TickingClock about a banner for my concerts.We had stupid ideas like "Chocolate or bondage?" and such things ...

Finally, I ordered a banner on the Internet with "Chris, please let's make a deal - you give me your shirt and I give you some chocolate?!"

I didn't really believe that he would give me his shirt, but I found the text well and "If you never try you'll never know"

Yesterday I managed to exist in the first row and stood next to Chris Piano.

And as he sat down and began to play"Clocks", I held up my banner. He saw it, stopped short, read it again, looked at me and nodded briefly.

I thought "Okay, he has seen it and now?"

At the end of the concert, when all four guys came forward, I held it up again. Chris looked at me again and nodded again.

The guys then came back to play the encore and I saw Chris was wearing no shirt under his jacket (the jacket was buttoned).

Chris sat down at the piano and told about LRLRL and suddenly I saw Phil running at me. He held something in his hand, remained in front of me and said, "That's from Chris for you" and gave me the shirt.

I must have looked stunned at the moment. I said to Phil "OMG, thank you and that's for Chris," and quickly gave him the chocolate.

I held the shirt pressed close to me. The band began to play, and Chris looked at me again to see if I got the shirt. I beamed at him and screamed as loud as I could, "Thank You!" He grinned at me and sorry, at least since the moment I was definitely dead...

20090827ani2.jpg

AniArt083.jpg

Thank you to aniskywalker for the amazing review from the Dusseldorf show.

(Also notice that she actually has the same shoes as Chris ;))

August 29th marked the birthday of Mr Sweetcheeks himself, Phil Harvey. Guitar tech Hoppy celebrated 10 years with the band and Roadie #42 posted his 100th blog. Coldplay themselves played an, as always, amazing show in Munich, Germany.

blog10002.jpg

blog10003.jpg

Udine, Italy! Balloons in the crowd celebrated the last concert/day of the month! (Picture from coldplaying.com)

20090831mrb25.jpg

That was August, folks! This month was very special to me, as it held my first Coldplay concert. It was also in August that I joined this splendid forum. Thank you for being the best people in the world!

Pictures, unless stated otherwise, are all taken, with love, from coldplay.com.

Great review, good work :thumbsup:

Hmm.. but as I in a failure posted in the July thread, I will now ask here.. :)

why not add the video about the Herning show posted

on Coldplay.com.. or my video with Will singing Till kingdom come

for the one and only time in Herning :D

I added it Julie! Of course it deserved to be in there :) Glad you appreciated it, folks :nice:

That's what I was about to say. I think it should definitely be there. Otherwise nice review. :)

Aww, Thank you very much for adding my vid Anna ;) :D

I too thought it deserved to be there.. such a good moment! :)

.. Glad you are thinking the same Julie. It is such a awesome video!

Once I told a person inhere that I come from Herning, Denmark...

and the person replyed by writing.. YOU COME FROM THE CITY WHERE

RODIE 42 MADE THAT BRILLIANT VIDEO!!!!! THAT IS SOO COOL! or something :laugh3:

Thank you ANNA for a wonderful review of August 2009.

I went to the Herning show on 16 August, and it was really amazing. The highlight of that concert was SPEED OF SOUND played while showing a VIDEO OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE.

I think that SPEED OF SOUND was only played in Herning - and with that amazing video played to it, I really felt like flying. It simply was so amazing.

.. Glad you are thinking the same Julie. It is such a awesome video!

Once I told a person inhere that I come from Herning, Denmark...

and the person replyed by writing.. YOU COME FROM THE CITY WHERE

RODIE 42 MADE THAT BRILLIANT VIDEO!!!!! THAT IS SOO COOL! or something :laugh3:

Cool! :D

I can be seen in that video :charming:

:blush: