✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Closest To Gibson Blues King?

Hey All

I was looking at Chris's acoustics and they ROCK!!!!

I know they're gibson blues kings, but I was wondering where I could find a guitar of identical body shape and similar sound but which isn't £2,000 odd?

I know it'll be hard, but it doesn't have to be exactly like it, but, whatever's closest.

Oh, and I'd like to paint it (no, not just because Coldplay do it) but I had the idea a few years back, and my dad won't let me with the one I have now (since he bought me it).

So, thankyou a lot in advance!!

that's the best advice you can get, and the best you can do:

Try everything out before you buy it!

(Except if there is a full money refund for certain amount of days... my local music-stuff online seller (biggest in europe btw) offers a 30-days money back guarantee)

for acoustics:

Massive wood top is compulsory! never go with any else.

generally the wood should be massive! then feel the neck, how are the frets? does it feel right for you? if you have ANY doubts, DON'T buy! it must be absolutely suitable...

strum it very hard, check the tuning, does it stay in tune properly? how's the overall handling? if you like the sound and the rest is alright, then you've found yourself a guitar!

certainly, the less money you spend on a guitar (better save some money, pal!), the less you'll get, the more troubles and inconviniences you will have as well as less fun! be careful, there's cheap shit, expensive shit, too expensive good stuff and the good stuff with a very reasonable price! (see the Crafter guitars, good guitars for very fair prices!)

since you are planning to paint it, either take a relatively cheap guitar (then the epiphone could be the right thing, i guess) or you buy a real good guitar and paint your old one (if your dad lets you do it then...)

but i'm begging you PLEASE be careful with anything you do to your acoustic! i don't mind you scratching and ripping off the finish with a solidbody or generally e-guitar, but acoustics are more... "sensitive" when it comes to the finish and the sound...

see, the whole guitar resonates when you pick a string. everything vibrates, and the vibration of the air is the sound! if you put something on the top of the guitar, for instance the paint, then you change the vibrating behaviour of the guitar! it might sound quieter also...

everything on a guitar is meant to be perfect for resonance, so if you change anything, the components possibly don't match each other.

so be sure what you are doing and what paint you are taking (better talk to an expert first!).

whatever you change does not necessarily make it sound shit, but a) the sound will definitely be different b) it might be!

Yes indeed, and another think. don't just use 'just paint'.

Use coloured lacquer or how it's called in English.

It's bad for the wood and sound to use paint.

It depends on the colour but you also can use paint and on top transparant lacquer.

After the lacquer use oil, that's very important.

I didn't paint acoustic guitar, I did paint electrics, and did what I explained.

Yes indeed, and another think. don't just use 'just paint'.

Use coloured lacquer or how it's called in English.

It's bad for the wood and sound to use paint.

It depends on the colour but you also can use paint and on top transparant lacquer.

After the lacquer use oil, that's very important.

I didn't paint acoustic guitar, I did paint electrics, and did what I explained.

So, you are saying that i should use laquer instead of paint? If so, how much does it cost?

And when you say "use oil" do I go over the details or just cover the areas i painted with oil?

you know, the old finish has to be removed first, right ?!

otherwise, it really depends on what you are planning to do! upload a rough sketch here so we can help you further.

for some detailed pictures or something (like Guys Jaguar-Bass) i'd recommend some kind of special pens, they can be applied to the existing finish so you don't have to remove it.

ok, but then you might need another layer of clear finish. here, we have those also available as spray (normally for cars) from a brand called "Kwasny", you'll find something similar at your local hardware store.

So, you are saying that i should use laquer instead of paint? If so, how much does it cost?

And when you say "use oil" do I go over the details or just cover the areas i painted with oil?

How I did it: Remove all the old paint, doesnt need to be 100% but about 85% is enough.

Do a first paint layer, white; black or grey... depends on what you want later.

Let it dry, and add your first lacquer layer to it.

Let it dry for about one night and do another lacquer layer.

Let it dry again and use after that furniture oil.

I used for lacquer: Parquet lac.

For Oil: Furniture.

Can't remember the price tho, long time ago.

I didnt get exactly wat I want, but that's because of my own paint skills :lol:

See my result: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMQ3YkGfK4]YouTube- Coldplay - In My Place Bass cover fretless.[/ame]

nb: Don't blame me on my bad playing please.

And how it was before:

Afbeelding%28430%29.jpg

well staphan... ok?! :D

i took off ALL the paint of my telecaster, then i used... ermm, in english it's called either wood stain or mordant i guess... black (only for darkening the red), red and yellow. it's a dark red-red-orange-light orange-yellow (edge to middle) burst. awesome bitch now :D

then a few layers of 2cpu lacquer (2 components polyurethane) (sprayed with an airbrush).

see, you should do it properly and assiduously, otherwise you won't have fun with the result!

however, i have a question:

you obviously have just removed the frets, but is that relly working now as a fretless bass? does it sound well?

i'd be a little concerned because of the so called "break angle". if the strinbg "breaks" off too flat from the point where you depress it, it'll rattle or sound muted or dull

well staphan... ok?! :D

i took off ALL the paint of my telecaster, then i used... ermm, in english it's called either wood stain or mordant i guess... black (only for darkening the red), red and yellow. it's a dark red-red-orange-light orange-yellow (edge to middle) burst. awesome bitch now :D

then a few layers of 2cpu lacquer (2 components polyurethane) (sprayed with an airbrush).

see, you should do it properly and assiduously, otherwise you won't have fun with the result!

however, i have a question:

you obviously have just removed the frets, but is that relly working now as a fretless bass? does it sound well?

i'd be a little concerned because of the so called "break angle". if the strinbg "breaks" off too flat from the point where you depress it, it'll rattle or sound muted or dull

I will say, listen to the video!:D

I removed all of the frets and filled the spaces of the frets with pliable wood(if thats said right).

Playing without frets is very, very, very hard because you have to hit the very exact spot where the fret should be.

One milimeter from it will already sound out of tune.

i cannot hear anything! my pc's kinda f/ 'd up... got an mp3?

so, but do you have to fill the notches or is it just for... yeah, what did you fill them up for?

and what about slapping? are frets necessary?

+++

what bass was it actually? fender J ? (/ squier j ?)

i cannot hear anything! my pc's kinda f/ 'd up... got an mp3?

so, but do you have to fill the notches or is it just for... yeah, what did you fill them up for?

and what about slapping? are frets necessary?

+++

what bass was it actually? fender J ? (/ squier j ?)

I deleted all the video files, I only have the video, sorry!

I just filled the space up and after that lacquer and about 5 times oil.

They have to be filled up to keep the fretboard smooth like ice :P

Slapping is done above the very last fret, and works better on fretted basses, however it do sound good.

It used to be my very first bass, Richwood RB-62.

A very good bass, better than Squier Affinity, the worst Squier serie :lol:

But I think it's around the same as Squier standard, also same price class.

But now I play on Squier CV Precision, very close to the original Fenders... I had a Fender std. Precision.. it was pretty poor.. this one is a thousand times better...:stunned:

I also had a Squier VM Jazz.. but CV is better IMO.

yeah i liked your jazzbass (the natural one with black block inlys, right?)...

i got myself a Squier P-Bass Special, which has a P body, P and J pickups and a J neck.

in antique burst, beautiful thing, sounds good... i guess it's far better that the affinity series....

i wouldn't dare taking off the frets of this one :D (mainly because it's the only bass i own!!)

but did you have to set up the saddles higher than normal after removing the frets? (--> break angle)

yeah i liked your jazzbass (the natural one with black block inlys, right?)...

i got myself a Squier P-Bass Special, which has a P body, P and J pickups and a J neck.

in antique burst, beautiful thing, sounds good... i guess it's far better that the affinity series....

i wouldn't dare taking off the frets of this one :D (mainly because it's the only bass i own!!)

but did you have to set up the saddles higher than normal after removing the frets? (--> break angle)

Yes that bass indeed! :)

Cool, do you have recordings?:)

No I didnt need to, the action was pretty good.. I only had to change the intonation a little bit but not much tho.. :)

i think i will record something soon... not tomorrow (stupid school! leaving at 7:30(am), coming home 18:15 / 6:15pm on mondays...)

but keep in mind that i'm rather a guitarist than a bassist :D haven't played it for at least 2 months...

btw: i might have to change my potis, they crackle :(

hmm, i wonder what a fretless guitar would sound like.... damn hard to play i guess.... and chords are like impossible....