✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tesco shopper, 24, forced to show ID... because she was 'too young to buy slice of QUICHE'

mc_squared

Tesco shopper, 24, forced to show ID... because she was 'too young to buy slice of QUICHE'

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 3:51 PM on 02nd February 2010

In what must rank as one of the most bizarre ID requests ever, an office worker claims she had to prove she was over 21 to buy a slice of quiche.

Christine Cuddihy, 24, was handed the cheese and onion tart - costing 51p - at the deli counter of the Tesco in Coventry and then took it to the till.

She says the cashier then refused to sell it to her because she 'looked under 21'.

Proof of age schemes exist in supermarkets to stop youngsters buying alcohol and cigarettes. There have been incidents where these rules were applied in an overzealous manner when it comes alcohol - but never over a slice of quiche.

Despite her protestations the till girl refused to back down and a humiliated Christine was forced to produce her driving licence in order to buy the slice.

She said: 'The girl told me: "You don't look over 21. I need to see some proof of age."

'I told her I was certain the proof of age laws do not apply to quiche but she just said: "We have to be really strict now and this applies to quiche bought over the counter."

article-1247925-081FD9D2000005DC-574_468x308.jpg Daft: Christine Cuddihy, 24, holds up a cheese and onion quiche. She was asked to provide ID to prove she was old enough to buy a 51p slice from a Tesco supermarket

CAN I SEE SOME ID? OTHER BARMY REQUESTS

• Tony Ralls, 72, asked if old enough to buy bottle of wine in Morrisons in Liverpool
  • Ellie Hargreaves, 28, asked for ID to buy child's Ben 10 advent calender in Debenhams, Blackburn
  • Grandmother Tina MacNaughton-Jones, 47, refused a bottle of wine in a Waitrose supermarket in Worthing, West Sussex - because she could not prove she was over 18. Her 22-year-old daughter then produced a driver's licence to buy the bottle but she, too, was turned down over fears that she would pass the alcohol on to her mother

'At first I thought she was joking but her face was deadly serious. I didn't quite know what to say. It was very embarrassing, what on earth is dangerous about a slice of quiche?

'There was nothing suspicious about me and it's not even like I was buying a whole quiche to binge on.

'It was rush-hour and the shop was really busy. I was so insulted that they thought I couldn't be trusted with a harmless snack.'

The incident happened at the Tesco store in Cannons Park, Coventry, West Mids., on January 21.

Christine, from nearby Leamington Spa, was on her way home from her office job when she popped in to buy the slice of quiche, her only purchase, for her tea.

She said: 'I was really embarrassed and just wanted to get out of the shop. There was a queue forming behind me so I just showed her my driving licence and rushed out.'

Quite how it happened Tesco themselves have been unable to explain.

One theory is that the cashier mistook a bleep, as the quiche passed over the scanner, for an age prompt such as exists for tobacco and alcohol.

article-0-081FDDE1000005DC-343_468x313.jpg The Tesco store in Coventry where Christine was asked for ID. The company is at a loss to explain why this happened

Another possibility was that because the quiche was handed over at the deli counter and not picked up by Christine herself that, too, required an age check.

A Tesco spokesman said: 'We're at a loss to say what happened here. We couldn't find the staff member who asked for the ID.

'Age-related prompts at till are set centrally and there obviously isn't one on quiche.'

The company has apologised and said there was no reason why Christine was asked to prove her age when buying quiche either over the deli counter or the pre-boxed variety.

Christine said: 'The irony of the whole thing is that I've bought alcohol from there dozens of times without being asked for ID.

'I've racked my brains to come up with an explanation but I can't find one. The whole thing is ridiculous.'

'There was nothing suspicious about me and it's not even like I was buying a whole quiche to binge on.

'It was rush-hour and the shop was really busy. I was so insulted that they thought I couldn't be trusted with a harmless snack.'

Hahaha