✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Turkish girl, 16, 'buried alive by her father because she had friendships with boys'

mc_squared

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case, I would say your points are totally irrelevant to the topic.:smug:

^What's really amusing is your ridiculous (and futile) attempt to start an argument out of nothing.

Therefore, unless you have something to say that's on-topic, there is nothing further to discuss.

It's always been clear that if you are completely lost in a debate you will resort to the old "You're being off-topic :smug:" chestnut.

It is, but I don't have a problem with it when it's benign.;)

But when you aren't being made to look clueless and it's off-topic, that becomes 'benign' which is OK of course.

When you said she was trying to start an argument was the funniest bit.

It's always been clear that if you are completely lost in a debate you will resort to the old "You're being off-topic :smug:" chestnut.

No, it's always been clear that you just spout nonsense for the sake of it just to cause havoc. As I said, unless you have something to say about the topic itself, there's nothing to debate.:smug:

But when you aren't being made to look clueless and it's off-topic, that becomes 'benign' which is OK of course.

When you said she was trying to start an argument was the funniest bit.

Case in point. Simple shit-stirring for the sake of it.:rolleyes:

okay mc_squared, your opinions are your own, not gonna argue anything on that point, but your arguments?

please

Personally I don't see a problem about posting this. I think he has some point when he says that people need to know what's going on. And just because Reilly reads the paper every now and then doesn't mean everyone does. Actually, hasn't there been plenty of people commenting on this post, seeing this story for the first time?

This IS the News & Sport forum, and this is news.

Personally I don't see a problem about posting this. I think he has some point when he says that people need to know what's going on. And just because Reilly reads the paper every now and then doesn't mean everyone does. Actually, hasn't there been plenty of people commenting on this post, seeing this story for the first time?

Exactly. Whether people want to discuss the topic or not is up to them, but all the other whinging and abusive comments are completely out-of-order and inappropriate.

This is a legitimate news story, and it has been posted in the correct forum.

Abusive? Really, abusive...

I would like to see these abusive comments :wink: and also claims that this is an illegitimate news story.

I can't be bothered to trawl through all the comments, but there have definitely been some (and not just in this thread).

That wasn't my point (That everyone already knew about this item) it's that we're supposed to be discussing news items on this forum and there's nothing to discuss here except go "Wow that's sick". It is just a sick news item and shouldn't be posted, along with a few other topics that have been made. I was criticising Mark for being the person he is and posting it. I never said it shouldn't be reported in a newspaper, but I wanted to know, why would anyone consistently post stories like this on a forum?

Mark it's actually getting really difficult to keep up with how wrong you are:

Exactly. Whether people want to discuss the topic or not is up to them, but all the other whinging and abusive comments are completely out-of-order and inappropriate.

This is a legitimate news story, and it has been posted in the correct forum.

I don't know where to start with this.

-His point was that he feels there's nothing wrong with posting this thread, nothing to do with whinging or abusive comments- as they were completely irrelevant to what he said, but you've decided to include that as a part of his argument?

-You've said in this topic that we should stick to talking about the story, the attitude wasn't "its up to them" when you're directly questioned about this story's worth.

-There weren't many posts of abusive or whingey comments, but if you consider cobalt's constructive and straightforward questions as 'an argument' then clearly it would seem there's been a lot more.

-Again (As I've said this plenty of times), nobody questioned how legitimate this topic is, and certainly not whether it was posted in the correct forum (That's just bizarre).

That wasn't my point (That everyone already knew about this item) it's that we're supposed to be discussing news items on this forum and there's nothing to discuss here except go "Wow that's sick". It is just a sick news item and shouldn't be posted,

That's where you're totally wrong, as it isn't for you to decide what should, or shouldn't be posted, and there are no rules stating which news items are valid and which not.

As I said, if you don't like the topic, or have nothing to contribute to it, you are more than welcome to post elsewhere.:rolleyes:

along with a few other topics that have been made. I was criticising Mark for being the person he is and posting it.

Which is pretty much all you seem to do, hence my point.;)

I never said it shouldn't be reported in a newspaper, but I wanted to know, why would anyone consistently post stories like this on a forum?

And once again, nobody is answerable to you, so just give it up. As usual, you're just starting a pointless argument for the sake of it.

-There weren't many posts of abusive or whingey comments,

But enough, and from the same characters as usual, unsurprisingly.:dozey:

That's where you're totally wrong, as it isn't for you to decide what should, or shouldn't be posted, and there are no rules stating which news items are valid and which not.

As I said, if you don't like the topic, or have nothing to contribute to it, you are more than welcome to post elsewhere.:rolleyes:

I know it's not convenient for you, but this is my contribution to this topic, acknowledging that it's pointless finger pointing. There has been no discussion, just a bunch of people naturally replying with "Those sick freaks" and that's all it was ever going to be, pretending it's part of a crusade to make everyone more aware of the world's problems isn't right.

And once again, nobody is answerable to you, so just give it up. As usual, you're just starting a pointless argument for the sake of it.

What does that mean? Nobody is answerable to me? I know what it means but what does it have to with anything?

You also used this 'starting an argument' stance with Cobalt when she clearly wasn't just looking to argue. I have been debating my stance, and with comments like this, eventually you do get personal.

I know it's not convenient for you, but this is my contribution to this topic, acknowledging that it's pointless finger pointing. There has been no discussion, just a bunch of people naturally replying with "Those sick freaks" and that's all it was ever going to be, pretending it's part of a crusade to make everyone more aware of the world's problems isn't right.

Fair enough, if that's your opinion, just move along. I don't give a monkey's.;)

The rest of what you said is a load of codswallop.:rolleyes:

Fair enough, if that's your opinion, just move along. I don't give a monkey's.;)

Is that why this post is now 7 pages long?

And Reilly, I see your point now in what you said about not seeing this as some "crusade", you have me convinced.

Good, but I don't remember explaining myself well about one point you brought up as well- how I might have seen this story and others haven't. It's just that, people who read the papers will know about this, and for those who don't know about this news item, it's just really horrible, and that's all anyone can say, it doesn't provide any discussion or thought. The only people who are going to make any sort of difference will already know about honour killing, Turkey's religion, attitude and culture, nobodies going to be inspired by reading one story on the topic and feeling a little bit ill about the rest of the world and a little bit better about themselves.

That's a bit clearer.

No but at the same time, for the people who read these news in the paper or watch it on the tv, the reaction is pretty much the same? I mean, a newspaper doesn't provide any real discussion either?

These days, the best place for that is on an online forum I think. Maybe not the Coldplay forums though

Yes but people who do that, do it everyday or most days, they go to the website or buy the paper and know what to expect, and have a better idea of the background that honour killings happen. When talking about 'real discussion', there hasn't been any in this entire topic (About the news story) because everyone's so shocked that all they can say is that it's awful, and then for Mark to come back in and agree, again and again.

For Mark, it seems less about caring for the poor child, the background of honour killings and the future of situations like this occuring again, and a lot more about having someone to point at and call a piece of shit.

true that...

so to actually add something to the discussion, what do you think should be done to prevent these killings?

personally I believe this is something that will take a long time to change, and it's not really up to us outsiders to be the one telling them that they have to change their ways. It's good that these stories are covered in the media, because it helps us to understand their culture better, and that's essential to improve our relations with them.

But it's only them who can make things better, and I think that will happen eventually. I mean, from what I read these days it seems to be better than before; there are more people in the countries who object to this.

true that...

so to actually add something to the discussion, what do you think should be done to prevent these killings?

personally I believe this is something that will take a long time to change, and it's not really up to us outsiders to be the one telling them that they have to change their ways. It's good that these stories are covered in the media, because it helps us to understand their culture better, and that's essential to improve our relations with them.

But it's only them who can make things better, and I think that will happen eventually. I mean, from what I read these days it seems to be better than before; there are more people in the countries who object to this.

The trouble is, progress (if indeed there's been any) appears to be at a snail's pace, especially when you bear in mind this is the 21st century, not the Dark Ages, with which this kind of behaviour is generally associated.

IMO, it beggars belief that this kind of thing is still happening, and I would suggest the more it's "exposed", the better.

The level of anachronism is on a par with witch and "heretic" burning, which thankfully died out hundreds of years ago, as the practice reported here should have.

How any human being, irrespective of religious beliefs, could even contemplate doing, or condoning such an action, should be beyond anyone's comprehension.:(

The only way these sorts of killings are going to stop is if the governments and/or religious leaders concerned condemn such behaviour point-blank, and people are no longer brainwashed into believing it's "justified".

personally I believe this is something that will take a long time to change, and it's not really up to us outsiders to be the one telling them that they have to change their ways.

That's why it's hard to have a discussion about it without sounding vague and clueless;

The only way these sorts of killings are going to stop is if the governments and/or religious leaders concerned condemn such behaviour point-blank, and people are no longer brainwashed into believing it's "justified".

I also disagree with the Turkish government's "Crown's for Honour Killing's" scheme.