✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who is your favourite British Curling Olympian in 2010 and why?

MrMagpie

Mark why do you love athletes failing so much? You were going on about Canada's skiers earlier and now you are attacking our curlers. The women were just inconsistent, Eve is clearly extremely talented, it's just a case of the rest of the team having off days and then her ultimately falling to the pressure (she's only 19 so you can hardly blame her for being nervous)

I dunno if it gives you pleasure to see people fail or what, but it's hilarious actually.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark why do you love athletes failing so much? You were going on about Canada's skiers earlier and now you are attacking our curlers. The women were just inconsistent, Eve is clearly extremely talented, it's just a case of the rest of the team having off days and then her ultimately falling to the pressure (she's only 19 so you can hardly blame her for being nervous)

I know you're just being pathetic as usual, but if athletes suck, they suck, as the female curlers did. That's just how it is, and there's no point in trying to hide that fact.

Similarly, when someone strikes gold, as Amy Williams did, that's cause for celebration.

You have to take the rough with the smooth.

I dunno if it gives you pleasure to see people fail or what, but it's hilarious actually.

Nah, what's really hilarious (not) is how you troll around the board picking holes in everything I say just for the sake of it. I'm sure Briggins will even have noticed that.;)

Also on the topic of athletes failing etc.

First of all getting to the Olympics is a huge honour. For the British curlers to even get to the Olympics they had to do lots of work, win lots of tournaments, etc.

Sure there are going to be disappointments. But I don't think it is fair all the pressure that is put on them to perform. People should be proud of their athletes, supportive no matter what the outcomes, and be excited for the chance for people to represent their respective countries on the world stage.

I feel really bad for somebody like Mellissa Hollingswroth, the Canadian slider who was expected to win a medal in skeleton. She made on minor mistake in her 4th run and she ended up finishing in 5th place. Afterwards she gave a very emotional interview where she was so crushed, tears, apologizes, just so much pressure put on her. Which really is not fair. And I think she is starting to put things in perspective and see how much she really means to Canadians, what a role-model she is, and how really we are proud of her here in Canada even if she doesn't finish the games with a medal around her neck.

I feel so bad for people who fail, they work so so hard to get their and it's literally everything they've worked for their whole life happening, for them then to fail it must be absolutely heartbreaking. Then you have morons like Mark going "well they are shit anyway so they deserve to be mocked"

Mark I don't give a shit about you, I might have in the past, but right now I just think it's funny how easy it is to point out how stupid you are.

Also on the topic of athletes failing etc.

First of all getting to the Olympics is a huge honour. For the British curlers to even get to the Olympics they had to do lots of work, win lots of tournaments, etc.

Sure there are going to be disappointments. But I don't think it is fair all the pressure that is put on them to perform. People should be proud of their athletes, supportive no matter what the outcomes, and be excited for the chance for people to represent their respective countries on the world stage.

I feel really bad for somebody like Mellissa Hollingswroth, the Canadian slider who was expected to win a medal in skeleton. She made on minor mistake in her 4th run and she ended up finishing in 5th place. Afterwards she gave a very emotional interview where she was so crushed, tears, apologizes, just so much pressure put on her. Which really is not fair. And I think she is starting to put things in perspective and see how much she really means to Canadians, what a role-model she is, and how really we are proud of her here in Canada even if she doesn't finish the games with a medal around her neck.

Finishing in fifth place is no disgrace at all, but the British women curlers definitely under-achieved big-time, as have the Canadian alpine skiers, who haven't even been in contention as far as I've seen.;)

I feel so bad for people who fail, they work so so hard to get their and it's literally everything they've worked for their whole life happening, for them then to fail it must be absolutely heartbreaking. Then you have morons like Mark going "well they are shit anyway so they deserve to be mocked"

As I've said before, even if I thought you were being serious and not just doing your usual pathetic "attacking" for the sake of it, you're still incapable of putting your point across without being insulting, which totally devalues anything you say.

That's the big difference between you and Briggins, and why I have respect for him and not you.;)

Mark I don't give a shit about you, I might have in the past, but right now I just think it's funny how easy it is to point out how stupid you are.

And there you go again. Really, really pathetic.:rolleyes:

So being in the top 20 in the world is something to be ashamed of?

In their case (based on their rankings and given "home" advantage) many of them have failed dismally, unlike the U.S. skiers, who have performed superbly.

I would have loved to have seen them do well, but they didn't, and that's a fact.

In their case (based on their rankings and given "home" advantage) many of them have failed dismally, unlike the U.S. skiers, who have performed superbly.

I would have loved to have seen them do well, but they didn't, and that's a fact.

Mark I really can't stand this attitude, why are you so hateful towards people who try hard but something goes wrong and they don't win? It's pathetic, I'm sorry for "insulting" you, but it is. I don't get why you have this ridiculous attitude.

Also it's hilarious how you don't realise how much Briggins mocks you to your face, I'm just more blunt about it most of the time because I don't feel like you deserve any subtlety

Mark I really can't stand this attitude, why are you so hateful towards people who try hard but something goes wrong and they don't win? It's pathetic, I'm sorry for "insulting" you, but it is. I don't get why you have this ridiculous attitude.

Why are you so hateful and insulting in virtually every thread you post in? I don't get why you have this ridiculous attitude.:rolleyes:

Also it's hilarious how you don't realise how much Briggins mocks you to your face,

As I've said before, that's merely your opinion. I disagree. Briggins is never obnoxiously rude, like you.;)

In fact, until you stuck your oar in, Briggs and I were having a perfectly civilised discussion.

I'm just more blunt about it most of the time because I don't feel like you deserve any subtlety

Which is why you don't deserve any respect.:smug:

Why are you so hateful and insulting in virtually every thread you post in? I don't get why you have this ridiculous attitude.:rolleyes:

Yknow asking a new question doesn't mean the question he asked just goes away. The rest was childish.

I'm not surprised by your attitude on this, you love, absolutely love people's misery generally, so why should sport be any different?

My attitude is irrelevant, I asked you a question and you are avoiding answering based on some ridiculous, but skewed, form of logic you have in your brain.

It's not my opinion, Briggins mocks you to your face. I know he's not obnoxiously rude, I explained that in my post if you'd bothered to read it.

I don't respect you, which is why I act that way, so I don't really want you to respect me in all honesty.

Back to the issue at hand though, is it some kind of inferiority complex? You feel the need to attack people who are better at something than you when they don't win?

His attitude in general is childish, so he's reaping what he sows.:smug:

Thing is though, my exterior attitude may seem childish on this forum, but with you it's your actually attitude and values that are childish. It's a sad state of affairs when people half your age are more mature than you are.

My attitude is irrelevant, I asked you a question and you are avoiding answering based on some ridiculous, but skewed, form of logic you have in your brain.

No it isn't. Your attitude is EXTREMELY relevant, and has been all along.;)

It's not my opinion, Briggins mocks you to your face. I know he's not obnoxiously rude, I explained that in my post if you'd bothered to read it.

As I said, I don't value your opinion, so I couldn't care less.

I don't respect you, which is why I act that way, so I don't really want you to respect me in all honesty.

The feeling is entirely mutual.:smug:

Thing is though, my exterior attitude may seem childish on this forum, but with you it's your actually attitude and values that are childish. It's a sad state of affairs when people half your age are more mature than you are.

As I've said, merely your opinion, and therefore doesn't mean a thing to me, based on what I said previously.:smug:

WINTER OLYMPICS 2010: Great Britain men beat Germany to stay on course for curling medal but women lose again

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:41 AM on 23rd February 2010

David Murdoch steered Great Britain's curling men towards a semi-finals spot while Eve Muirhead blamed herself for leaving the women's team on the brink of elimination on Day 11 of the Vancouver Olympics.

While Murdoch, Ewan MacDonald, Pete Smith and Euan Byers continued their improving form with an 8-2 win over Germany, 19-year-old women's skip Muirhead

was left frustrated by mistakes that gifted Denmark a 9-8 win.

Britain's men now face already qualified Norway on Tuesday and a win should see them into the semi-finals.

article-0-086C94F0000005DC-380_306x451.jpg We're nearly there: Great Britain's David Murdoch celebrates after defeating Germany

'That was a really solid performance, the type of form that we expect from ourselves,' said Murdoch.

'We're glad to see it's happening, that's been three solid games and the team usually does that by the time it gets to the end of the week in major championships.

'I think there's still a little to go, I don't think we're maxed out yet but we're certainly coming into the type of form we're looking for.

'You don't want to peak at the start of the week. This is the business end of the week we're getting into and it's good to see that every one of us is playing great shots.'

Meanwhile Muirhead was ruing a couple of costly slack shots in a 9-8 defeat against Denmark.

She broke her curling broom by banging it on the ice in sheer frustration after her misjudged final stone in the ninth gifted the Danes two vital points.

And despite a gallant attempt to retrieve the situation on the final end Britain went down to a fourth straight defeat that leaves their chances of finishing in the top four hanging by the slenderest of threads.

Britain face round robin table toppers Canada on Tuesday knowing that only a surprise win over the hosts and a combination of other favourable results can keep their Olympic dream alive.

'There were a couple of slack shots in the second half, definitely by myself in the ninth end, which cost us a two,' said Muirhead.

The British quartet of Muirhead, Jackie Lockhart, Kelly Wood and Lorna Vevers led 6-4 after the sixth end but Muirhead's first wayward moment saw Denmark take the initiative. Her final stone was too light and Danish fourth Madeleine Dupont's hammer helped give them three points.

article-0-086C8D24000005DC-817_468x597.jpg That's where I want it: David Murdoch tells his curlers where he wants it

article-0-086C1C50000005DC-169_306x413.jpg The dream is fading: Great Britain's Eve Muirhead looks on against Denmark

Britain levelled at 7-7 after eight ends but a Muirhead miss with her final stone in the ninth opened the door for two more Danish points.

Trailing 9-7 on the final end Muirhead had to take out three Danish stones and stay in order to bring a second scoring stone.

She took out two but the third stayed and one point was not enough to take the game into an extra end.

'We were so close on the last shot,' said Muirhead, 'a foot away from making a three for the win in the last end.

'It's frustrating and it's going to be hard to put that behind us but it's going to have to be done and we'll move on.'

After the match Great Britain curling coach Nancy Murdoch swiftly ruled out any

possibility of an appeal after a Danish player accidentally caught a Danish stone with her foot on the final end.

tough luck, I was pulling for the scots,as they're clearly a way better team than sweden outside this game.

I think Chris is being serious since he is a curler himself.

And I have been talking with Nathan quite a bit about curling the past few days so I know that most people are actually serious and are actually following it.

lol, I've been so nerdily focused on the actual curling matches that I completely missed the argument with mark that's taken up most of this thread.

I'm not entirely sure why, but for a game that so many consider boring, curling becomes the most controversial sport in the winter olympics. If I do so much as watch it in the lobby of my dorm, every idiot who walks through feels obligated to make some derisive comment about it...like the fact that such a sport exists is somehow an offense to them. I used to get annoyed, but now it doesn't phase me at all, as I no longer care enough to try explaining stuff like what the brooms are for.

While this thread is partly amusing and partly serious, I can't help but take it as a place for sincere curling discussion, as there's pretty much no one else at my university who has more than bemused, sarcastic interest in it. As shitty as the U.S. did this olympics, apparently people are taking interest, as over 150 new people showed up at my club's last open house to learn how to play this past week. I'm hoping over time its popularity in the U.S. gets at least to the point that people see it as just another game that people play, instead of some threatening foreign entity.