✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Religion

hotdensestate

yes, but do you believe they have had past lives? you said god knows what they have done in their past lives.

i don't care if you do believe that, means nothing to me, just trying to understand you better

Look man... they don't seem they have done penance for their sins (i mean those badass priests). They sometimes act like they are mafiosi LOL. They take part in fights and other stuff.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One new year I was stood with my grandad outside staring at the moon and the fireworks in the night sky, It made me think of life and how I Would remember this once he was gone. a year and 5 days later, my grandad died. I Can remember staring out of the window after his funeral and seeing the stars and a full moon it took me right back. Apparently stars and the moon represent New Life and a new beginning and that's what made me belive in Reincarnation, might sound crazy but I hink everything has a Cycle.

w/ everything bad going on in the world; greedy bastards who seem to have all the luck, innocent children that are sick & die, famine, war; the way i was taught is that everything bad in your life is a test, as is everything good. if you can react in a good way; giving charity if you are blessed w/ wealth; you will be rewarded. those that suffer now will be given a reward later, and if they don't live to see it, it will be given to them in the hereafter. a reward so incredibly amazing that we can't even begin to imagine it. at the same time, those who do bad & harm ppl will receive a horrible punishment, a punishment so torturous we cannot even begin to imagine it. i do believe that God is just & fair. i don't believe in seeking revenge on ppl b/c i know God will take care of them, but most importantly take care of me. most ppl say religion is just for those who are "weak & can't solve their own problems." but what kind of a world would this be if goodness isn't rewarded & evil isn't punished, & innocent ppl just suffer for no reason?

thank God, i do very well in school. i'm in the top 3% of my class & i got a 32 on the ACT. i say thank God b/c i know i could not have done this on my own. every accomplishment i attribute to God. this doesn't mean i'm lazy. i study my ass off to get to where i'm at, to get the leads in my school plays, to make the sports teams. but i know that w/o God & His will nothing good like this would've ever happened to me. i can solve my own problems, b/c God gave me the gift of a clear mind & the ability to think logically. i can't fully prove God's existence, or how i know that any of this is true, but i just know it 100%. He is there. look around us! how could the earth be so beautiful - how is it that it's a sphere, yet none of us fall off? where did gravity come from? how is it that when we sleep we still remember to breathe? the scientific explanations are valid, & i do believe in evolution & all, but even w/ those explanations, where did the first monkey come from?

those that suffer now will be given a reward later, and if they don't live to see it, it will be given to them in the hereafter. a reward so incredibly amazing that we can't even begin to imagine it. at the same time, those who do bad & harm ppl will receive a horrible punishment, a punishment so torturous we cannot even begin to imagine it.

I'm sorry, but that's like really naïve. Like really...

Cause that's the same stuff, they've been telling us for the last 2000 years... the same things with which some have tried to control other people over centuries... The same fool consolation for the very unhappy people. You have just been lucky for growing up in America with so many conforts. At your disposal you have great ammounts of food and potable water, you can access to a good education. Many people around the globe don't have that. Why don't use those great things you have to help the others to make a future for themselves, rather than hoping they'll have an after life reward? Life's really though. And it might be hard to accept, but some things are really unfair in this life.

I think... Inventing a divine justice is kind a way to justify the unfairness among humans (yeah, whatever... Those who suffer might have a reward later)... Rather than really trying to change things.

Wow, a 32 on the ACT. That's brilliant. Congratulations. :D

thank you, darling ;)

I'm sorry, but that's like really naïve. Like really...

Cause that's the same stuff, they've been telling us for the last 2000 years... the same things with which some have tried to control other people over centuries... The same fool consolation for the very unhappy people. You have just been lucky for growing up in America with so many conforts. At your disposal you have great ammounts of food and potable water, you can access to a good education. Many people around the globe don't have that. Why don't use those great things you have to help the others to make a future for themselves, rather than hoping they'll have an after life reward? Life's really though. And it might be hard to accept, but some things are really unfair in this life.

I think... Inventing a divine justice is kind a way to justify the unfairness among humans (yeah, whatever... Those who suffer might have a reward later)... Rather than really trying to change things.

i'll have you know that i help organize food drives & raise money for doctors w/o borders w/ my school & mosque. when i grow up i hope to be a doctor one day & work for doctors w/o borders to help others around the world. you can't just pray for world peace or good things to happen, you have to work for them. you're right, i am very blessed that i grew up in america & have access to food, water, & everything i need, & b/c of this i feel it is my duty to help those who are in need, but my belief is that i can't do this alone. i need God to guide me & help me accomplish my goals. the point is that even though there is suffering that i might not be able to alleviate, God will take care of it

i'll have you know that i help organize food drives & raise money for doctors w/o borders w/ my school & mosque. when i grow up i hope to be a doctor one day & work for doctors w/o borders to help others around the world. you can't just pray for world peace or good things to happen, you have to work for them. you're right, i am very blessed that i grew up in america & have access to food, water, & everything i need, & b/c of this i feel it is my duty to help those who are in need, but my belief is that i can't do this alone. i need God to guide me & help me accomplish my goals. the point is that even though there is suffering that i might not be able to alleviate, God will take care of it

Well I'm glad you do such things. I'd wish I could help much as well. Because I'm also lucky...

But I just don't think that the idea of a divine justice might help the world... it kind of minizes the importance of this existence, the importance of what might be the unique oportunity to live, learn and exist in an unique and wonderful way.

Also, people should not be raised (helped) with the promisse of a better after-life, cause they might become lazy... Nietzsche did extend much on such idea. I do not agree with all of his philosophy, but I agree on that.

i remember watching a re-make of the 10 commandments, & i just love this story from it:

so moses was teaching everyone how to fight, so that if they were ever attacked then they would be able to defend themselves. one person was like why should we learn God will protect us. moses told him this story:

there was a town where everyone was told that there was going to be a flood. a man told himself "i don't need to take any caution, God will save me." his neighbor asked him if he would like to come w/ him on his rowboat. the man said no thanks, God will save me. later, he sees a camel. he decides not to ride the camel out of town b/c he in convinced that God will save him. later, he dies from the flood. when he encounters God he is so angry & he asks why He didn't save him. God replies, "i sent you the warning of the flood, the man on the rowboat, & the camel. how much more help did you need?!"

the moral is that you can't just sit around and say "God will help" or "since i'm a good person i don't have to do anything now i'm going to heaven." you still have to work for everything you have & want

yes, but won't you accept that the solely idea of an eternal afterlife takes out importance to this very life and moment? When I was younger I inquired myself a lot about that... Does religion, somehow encourage people to be better in this life, learn the most they can... Other than just be a submissive sheep that obey God in everything?

And I know this is not only myself. Actually history proves that religion stopped scientific advance and develpment of the human kind for more than 1500 years...

Even, the bible itself, has several parables that agree with my statement:

If you are ambitious and try to reach higher position than your boss, you're condemned... just as God did to Lucifer.

If you want to know about nature and what really happens around you (the essence of Science) you can bite an apple, but then you might be expelled from paradise and meet suffering. Like what happened with Adam and Eve.

If you are curious you might look to what happens at your back, but careful! you might become a statue of salt! Like what happened to the wife of Lot.

:wtf:

And I know this is not only myself. Actually history proves that religion stopped scientific advance and develpment of the human kind for more than 1500 years...

How?

Some of the greatest scientists believed in God (Isaac Newton, Galileo, Copernicus).

Also, in the Old Testament there are several scientific things mentioned that scientists didn't even realize were true until not that long ago (such as washing hands after handling dead bodies, that there are mountains and springs under the sea, that the earth is a sphere, that the universe is expanding, just to name a few).

in islam we are taught to "seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave," "by knowledge you are saved; by ignorance, lost," and "choose the best part of each science, as the bee sips the most delicate part of the flower." knowledge & scientific discovery is encouraged, not just b/c this helps you truly understand the magnitude of God's power, but b/c the more knowledgeable & less ignorant you are the better you will treat your fellow man

I don't know how to respond to this.......excuse me while I consult my WWJD bracelet. *eyeroll*

In all seriousness though, I'm a Christian. For me, believing in God is about believing that there is a power out there that's bigger than me, bigger than any of you, and bigger than anything that could be imagined. It's about having faith in something bigger than yourself.

I don't begrudge anybody their athiest views or agnostic views and I don't try to convert anybody. I'm just not that hardcore, however, it's simple minded of those of you who say that people who believe in God only do it because they are "insecure" or they "want God to solve their problems." Sorry to burst your bubble, but it just doesn't work like that. At least...not for those who really know what God is about. I'll admit, there are overzealous people out there who are crazy, but just like any religion, there are always going to be fundamentalists who take their faith to a place no one should be meant to follow.

Excellent post.

I, too, am a Christian. Believing in God makes you different, but for the better. It gives you a special relationship with Him, something that feels so extraordinary. I hate cramming religion down peoples' throats *, and to be quite honest, we can't change how one chooses to believe.

Just like you said, there are extremists in every religion, and I'm afraid the religiousness some Christians are developing is what is causing so many to turn away from God.

Even, the bible itself, has several parables that agree with my statement:

If you are ambitious and try to reach higher position than your boss, you're condemned... just as God did to Lucifer.

If you want to know about nature and what really happens around you (the essence of Science) you can bite an apple, but then you might be expelled from paradise and meet suffering. Like what happened with Adam and Eve.

If you are curious you might look to what happens at your back, but careful! you might become a statue of salt! Like what happened to the wife of Lot.

:wtf:

The level of your misinterpretations of the meaning of all three of those is quite laughable.

in islam we are taught to "seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave," "by knowledge you are saved; by ignorance, lost," and "choose the best part of each science, as the bee sips the most delicate part of the flower." knowledge & scientific discovery is encouraged, not just b/c this helps you truly understand the magnitude of God's power, but b/c the more knowledgeable & less ignorant you are the better you will treat your fellow man

:clap: +1