✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Religion

hotdensestate

@hotdensestate. Sometimes believing in God requires a little irrational thinking. It's like that age old question: How do we know wind eixsts when we can't see it? Answer: Because you see how it affects things around it when it blows. Same thing with God, I guess. I was always taught that God lives in us. So, if God lives in us than really you are judging yourself.

I do also think that there is a balance for everything. Unlike my parents, who are total old school in their relationship with God, I think it's healthy to have a balance of Christians and athiests and science and different religions that are polytheistic.

I will say this, though...I was never into cultivating any type of relationship with God. However, when I gave birth to my daughter, things changed for me in a big way.

Yeah, just, I think I place too high a value on facts to believe in something we can't prove, just... it seems like a waste of time to me. If there is a god(s), you can't really know it/them, in my opinion... just... you can try to live the best life you can and that's honestly it.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was brought up as a Jehova's witness :blush:

Needless to say, I've never had a real christmas, my life is interesting.

But then again, why should I celebrate christmas if i sorta maybe don't believe in god and Christmas is suppose to be all religous and stuff

But yeah, me = secular

I feel like these arguments never solve anything, but I'll just say what i feel.

I consider myself a Christian, and as a kid, religion was never forced on me by my parents, they let me decide for myself.

I found God when I was 14.

Nobody tried to convert me or force it on me.

I just experienced something real that I can't explain in words.

I felt something of a greater power, and It brought me peace.

I know that there is a God because I have had too many experiences in my life that have really proved it to me.

I have never been the type of person to judge anyone because of their beliefs.

One of my best friends is an atheist and I love him to death.

It really saddens me when I hear about all the stories of people who have had friends or family try to force beliefs on them.

That is one thing I definitely do not like about many religions.

They make themselves seem greater than those who don't believe in anything.

I disagree with that.

I'm really glad to see us all discussing this in an intelligent and non-combative manner. Usually, when I participate in discussions like this, it turns out to be a huge mess. This thread makes me happy. :)

I'm really glad to see us all discussing this in an intelligent and non-combative manner. Usually, when I participate in discussions like this, it turns out to be a huge mess. This thread makes me happy. :)

detonates dawkins-william lane craig bomb on thread.

I still celebrate Christmas every year because I'm accustomed to it. That, and I love how it brings my family together, and that is extremely important to me.

Yah, same. Both my parents were brought up in religious households, and they always celebrated Christmas so they were accustomed to it. So my family has always celebrated it, but not at all in a religious way, just in a way to have good family time and celebrate the idea of "Santa Claus" and holiday spirit.

I feel like these arguments never solve anything, but I'll just say what i feel.

I consider myself a Christian, and as a kid, religion was never forced on me by my parents, they let me decide for myself.

I found God when I was 14.

Nobody tried to convert me or force it on me.

I just experienced something real that I can't explain in words.

I felt something of a greater power, and It brought me peace.

I know that there is a God because I have had too many experiences in my life that have really proved it to me.

I have never been the type of person to judge anyone because of their beliefs.

One of my best friends is an atheist and I love him to death.

It really saddens me when I hear about all the stories of people who have had friends or family try to force beliefs on them.

That is one thing I definitely do not like about many religions.

They make themselves seem greater than those who don't believe in anything.

I disagree with that.

See, I've almost had something analogous to that, like, a religious experience, myself, but it doesn't involve a god at all, it was more of, kind of recently I guessed, I don't know how to put this but I realized how amazing and beautiful the world really is (and it really is) and got a desire to understand it as well and as fully as I could... it's the same way, I think, that people treat the concept of "God," and it gets a little fuzzy there, because some people want to understand morality as well as they can, and some people want to understand math as well as they can, and some want to understand poetry, or science, or even history, or whatever, and some people consider these things to all be aspects of a "god" -- I mean the definitions start getting incredibly fuzzy, because I think theists and non-theists alike basically think the same way, only theists apply a concept of "god" to their thoughts, and atheists just leave it at nature, or math, or history, or whatever. You know what I mean? I mean I think it's kind of the same experience, with a different name, and some people just think it's supernatural, and some people don't.

Not sure if I'm making sense haha.

^^ You would. :P

^ So, are neither of your parents religious now?

No. My dad is a raging liberal which contributed to his belief in science. And he also gets extremely angry at religious people in politics cause he feels like they use their religion too much in their political beliefs and decisions. My mom decided not to be religious anymore when she went to college cause she disagrees with a lot of Christianity's traits. And in college I think she also came to believe in science.

Nah, I'm secretly Richard Dawkins, if you're a theist, you can just FUCK OFF! :angry:

Dawkins is actually cool but I think he needs anger meds sometimes haha.

No. My dad is a raging liberal which contributed to his belief in science. And he also gets extremely angry at religious people in politics cause he feels like they use their religion too much in their political beliefs and decisions. My mom decided not to be religious anymore when she went to college cause she disagrees with a lot of Christianity's traits. And in college I think she also came to believe in science.

the ubiquitous worship religion/worship science dichotomy makes me lol.

No. My dad is a raging liberal which contributed to his belief in science. And he also gets extremely angry at religious people in politics cause he feels like they use their religion too much in their political beliefs and decisions.

Same with my dad! We have a lot of friction actually, he can be a little too cynical sometimes when it comes to religion (although his cynicism is based off of good reasons to be totally honest) and he gets angry at theist politicians, and theists in general, I mean I believe in seperation of church and state really strongly but he takes it to the next level XD

the ubiquitous worship religion/worship science dichotomy makes me lol.

Ugh, you don't actually believe in "worshiping science" right? I mean a lot of people are passionate about the strengths of the scientific method but even the biggest ones don't seriously come at all close to worship it, or I have yet to see anything like that.

He probably never would've become popular if he didn't fit the blunt, frank, sarcastic brit stereotype. He doesn't really contribute anything original to atheism imo.

Nah, not really, he's a pretty sub-par scientist imo, all he does is go around promoting atheism and pissing theists off and talking about evolution, it's cool that you think evolution is beautiful but he should do, like, research, imo.

I never said anything about worshiping science. LOLOL.

but you mentioned 'belief in science' like its a type of alternative faith. In any case, I wasn't really referring to you in particular so much as the general opinions that a lot of people seem to have.

Ugh, you don't actually believe in "worshiping science" right? I mean a lot of people are passionate about the strengths of the scientific method but even the biggest ones don't seriously come at all close to worship it, or I have yet to see anything like that.

I'm not implying anything like the south park wii episode, though some people do tend to deify science as way of liberating mankind (take the renaming of buildings after the french revolution for example). But that wasn't my point, I was just chuckling at the idea of the dichotomy itself.

but you mentioned 'belief in science' like its a type of alternative religion. In any case, I wasn't really referring to you in particular so much as the general opinions that a lot of people seem to have.

I'm not implying anything like the south park wii episode, though some people do tend to deify science as way of liberating mankind (take the renaming of buildings after the french revolution for example). But that wasn't my point, I was just chuckling at the idea of the dichotomy itself.

Oh, yeah, okay. Good, haha. :nice:

I don't think those people "deify" science, though, I just think they're really passionate about the intrinsic power of knowledge of something like the scientific method. In my opinion things like scientific endeavors are what separate people from the rest of existence, as Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" -- pretty fucking powerful thing, dat. But I never saw that as "deifying" -- just... idk, not deifying, I guess. I don't think people really worship science and technology, even in a totally nonreligious sense.

Nah, not really, he's a pretty sub-par scientist imo, all he does is go around promoting atheism and pissing theists off and talking about evolution, it's cool that you think evolution is beautiful but he should do, like, research, imo.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_ZF8r5e7w]YouTube- Ben Stein vs Richard Dawkins[/ame]

(I think this is the video I'm looking for, I can't turn up the volume from here)

YouTube- Ben Stein vs Richard Dawkins[/url]

(I think this is the video I'm looking for, I can't turn up the volume from here)

LOL Ben Stein, I used to not mind Stein but he's genuinely a misguided fucktard, sorry. Statements like "I think religion and knowledge of God is a good thing and leads us to brotherhood and trust, while scinece leads us to killing people" just make me want to cry. And he's terribly misinformed. I have no respect for people who pretend to know lots about a subject who are as misinformed as Stein is.

Same with my dad! We have a lot of friction actually, he can be a little too cynical sometimes when it comes to religion (although his cynicism is based off of good reasons to be totally honest) and he gets angry at theist politicians, and theists in general, I mean I believe in seperation of church and state really strongly but he takes it to the next level XD

Same! I get annoyed cause my dad is so harsh towards them sometimes, and lets his views of fundamentalists and hypocritical religious people affect his views of religious people who aren't trying to impose their beliefs on everyone and everything. It makes me angry a lot.

but you mentioned 'belief in science' like its a type of alternative faith. In any case, I wasn't really referring to you in particular so much as the general opinions that a lot of people seem to have.

Belief in it as in, believe that it's correct. That's what I mean.

Not worshiping science.