✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Religion

hotdensestate

What's it good for? I mean, societally.

I've heard the argument that without religion, we would have no morals -- I think that's crap. The fact that so many different societies with different religious beliefs individually come up with the same basic set of morals (rape = bad, murder = bad, etc) shows, to me, that the basis for human morals are biological. I honestly can't think of a good societal reason for religion to still exist. But I'm sure somebody else can! Discuss?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some unfortunate people need to find relief. (No offense)

Religion is important, I'm an antireligion person myself, but I know it's quite important for mankind because as Doitoievsky would say: "If there's no god, everything's possible". It's quite important for the moral because it makes people fearful and respectful.

Because some unfortunate people need to find relief. (No offense)

Religion is important, I'm an antireligion person myself, but I know it's quite important for mankind because as Doitoievsky would say: "If there's no god, everything's possible". It's quite important for the moral because it makes people fearful and respectful.

Because it's an easy way to bring "answers" to the unknown, and I guess people need something to believe in.

This.

And it brings a certain comfort to people who are insecure and such. 'Oh I prayed to God that I will succeed at my exam tomorrow, then I will succeed for real!'.

I don't know how to respond to this.......excuse me while I consult my WWJD bracelet. *eyeroll*

In all seriousness though, I'm a Christian. For me, believing in God is about believing that there is a power out there that's bigger than me, bigger than any of you, and bigger than anything that could be imagined. It's about having faith in something bigger than yourself.

I don't begrudge anybody their athiest views or agnostic views and I don't try to convert anybody. I'm just not that hardcore, however, it's simple minded of those of you who say that people who believe in God only do it because they are "insecure" or they "want God to solve their problems." Sorry to burst your bubble, but it just doesn't work like that. At least...not for those who really know what God is about. I'll admit, there are overzealous people out there who are crazy, but just like any religion, there are always going to be fundamentalists who take their faith to a place no one should be meant to follow.

I don't know how to respond to this.......excuse me while I consult my WWJD bracelet. *eyeroll*

In all seriousness though, I'm a Christian. For me, believing in God is about believing that there is a power out there that's bigger than me, bigger than any of you, and bigger than anything that could be imagined. It's about having faith in something bigger than yourself.

I don't begrudge anybody their athiest views or agnostic views and I don't try to convert anybody. I'm just not that hardcore, however, it's simple minded of those of you who say that people who believe in God only do it because they are "insecure" or they "want God to solve their problems." Sorry to burst your bubble, but it just doesn't work like that. At least...not for those who really know what God is about. I'll admit, there are overzealous people out there who are crazy, but just like any religion, there are always going to be fundamentalists who take their faith to a place no one should be meant to follow.

What do you think God is about? I have a feeling we have a similar view, just mine is sans the supernatural powers.

Me asking that question was as about as pointless as starting this thread.

Its a very good book though. What do you think of it?

I like it but it's slightly overrated and I hate the people that are like, 1984 IS REAL, WE ARE LIVING IN A MODERN-DAY 1984!! etc.

I wasn't saying that it's just about that. I agree with you that we don't know how we got on this earth and bla bla, but I don't believe in a God who tells you what to do, how to do it, and that you're gonna get punished if you don't do it. If there's such a thing as an entity who really cares about us and such, it would let us do what we want, if it makes us happy. And there, I am not talking about rebelous things, but like being homosexual, or sex before the wedding, or in some other religions, what to eat or not.

I'm Christian, but that's because that's how I was brought up. I believe in a God, but I don't go all crazy with it or anything. And I have nothing against anyone with a different religion (or none at all).

Even if you don't actually believe in a God, it's an excellent way to teach children their own precepts. When they grow up, they should be educated in religion and make their own decisions.

I wasn't saying that it's just about that. I agree with you that we don't know how we got on this earth and bla bla, but I don't believe in a God who tells you what to do, how to do it, and that you're gonna get punished if you don't do it. If there's such a thing as an entity who really cares about us and such, it would let us do what we want, if it makes us happy. And there, I am not talking about rebelous things, but like being homosexual, or sex before the wedding, or in some other religions, what to eat or not.

I agree with that too.

Well then do you really believe in a god, per se, at all? Because if you're talking about a, I don't know, force or something, that does not interfere in our lives, then I don't think it qualifies as a god in and of itself. I believe that falls under the category of "spirituality" instead of "religion", or some other semantic issue.

:thumbsup:

Amen.

But is that GOOD? Praying to a god to fix your problems instead of actually fixing them yourself? It seems bad to me. Like... humanity are grownups now, they can fix their own problems. We have the power of science, technology, etc.

You need to get more into philosophy and psicology perhaps.

Well then do you really believe in a god, per se, at all? Because if you're talking about a, I don't know, force or something, that does not interfere in our lives, then I don't think it qualifies as a god in and of itself. I believe that falls under the category of "spirituality" instead of "religion", or some other semantic issue.

In my opinion (and I'm using her post as my view because I can't communicate myself well), the force she is referring to is god. Like the force as a person.

What do you think God is about? I have a feeling we have a similar view, just mine is sans the supernatural powers.

For me, believing in God is having faith in humanity, that something bigger than me exists and that my soul is what is really important...the body is just a vessel of that soul. I guess you could say that God is not only a reilgion (to me) but it's a state of mind.

It's interesting to me all the ways God can be portrayed to different people and religions. God; a wrathful God. God; a peaceful God. God; a loving God. God; the protector and provider.

Sure, when I was young I prayed to God to let me win the affection of a certain boy, or to help me "pass the test." All trivial and all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But, I'm older and wiser now. Now, God to me is the belief that something larger than I could imagine exists and when I feel like things are going to fall apart, I don't pray to God to "fix them." I pray for the strength to overcome. The belief in God brings out the good in me. It makes me a better person. I have a stronger moral compass, and to me, that's important. Especially in this world of today.