✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Beatles Challenge

Hey All.

Here's a challenge for you.

1. Give me 1 band that is better than The Beatles (apart from Coldplay) with 3 good reasons

2. Tell me 5 bad songs they have done.

My reason?

Well, on Facebook i'm talking to this girl who 1. hates the fab 4 and thinks they suck (she listens to that justin beiber lady gaga stuff), 2. doesn't know who john lennon was/is.

This disgraced me, so tell me forum....who killed the cat?

I'm not really a Beatles fan but I like some of their songs; there work is still listened to 50 years on which is quite an achievement. I am sick of all the pop songs around at the moment, artists who are only in it for the money and really don't put much effort and yet they get all the attention on the radio and on the TV. *Cough-Bieber-Gaga-etc*

It really does make me sick; fair enough Beiber is only a little 8 year old girl with little experience so what would you expect from her.

Radiohead

1. Each album is different from the next

2. They have very layered/complex music

3. They are always changing their style/sound all the time, they are experimental

Pink Floyd:

1. Very layered sound

2. Experimental band

3. Unique sound w/ songwriting and background sounds that has been imitated by other bands

5 least liked (I don't like the word bad and Beatles to be in the same sentance :P) Beatles songs: Yellow Submarine, What Goes On, Love You To, Blue Jay Way

I love the Beatles... honestly their my favorite band or at least tied w/ Radiohead.

Also Maxwell Silver Hammer is a great song!

Radiohead

1. Each album is different from the next

2. They have very layered/complex music

3. They are always changing their style/sound all the time, they are experimental

Pink Floyd:

1. Very layered sound

2. Experimental band

3. Unique sound w/ songwriting and background sounds that has been imitated by other bands

5 least liked (I don't like the word bad and Beatles to be in the same sentance :P) Beatles songs: Yellow Submarine, What Goes On, Love You To, Blue Jay Way

I love the Beatles... honestly their my favorite band or at least tied w/ Radiohead.

Also Maxwell Silver Hammer is a great song!

hahah, very well explained, I have to say, radiohead are my second favourite band, and i think their music is astounding and close to genius, but personally, I think they're not as good as the beatles, in terms of success and sheer musicianship

^I'd have to somewhat disagree.

I do think of course The Beatles are more successful. The only artist that you can say is more successful would be Michael Jackson.

In terms of musicianship I dunno. Clearly McCartney was the best member in terms of playing talent. But besides that neither band has someone that is really incredible. Yes Greenwood, Harrison, Selway and Lennon are very good at their instruments, but I dunno.

Pink Floyd:

1. Very layered sound

2. Experimental band

I love Pink Floyd and Blue Jay Way :heart:

To answer your question, I don't think any band really compares to the Beatles.

People are probably going to gut me for saying this, but I think The Beatles are overrated. It's not that I don't like their music, because I do. ("The Long and Winding Road" is a particular favorite of mine.) I just never understood why they were viewed as so fantastic.

:escaping:

Yay, Briggs. :nice:

Whaaat? I wasn't gonna lie and be like, "ZOMG TEH BEATLEZ, DEY ARR TEH BESTEZT EVAAAR." Their early stuff ('60s) sounds like a lot of the music from that period. What makes them that much better? :shrug:

The Beatles are good and incredibly influential, and in a good way. Overrated, though, yes, I would say so.

I like to watch the way they evolved from an above-average pop band into a genuinely groundbreaking band, too. Their later stuff is just so much father up on the scale of musicianship, innovation, etc. Very impressive stuff.

You didn't read my first post very clearly. I didn't say I didn't like them. They actually make up a part of my own musical growing, because until I started taking piano lessons in the 4th grade, all I listened to was oldies, and The Beatles were a big part of that. I'll always have my tracks of theirs that I'll love. (Like "Lady Madonna." I'm rather attached to that one.) All I said was that in my opinion, they are an overrated band. I'm sorry that you disagree, and I'm sorry you feel like I was offending you because I wasn't completely positive with what I said about one of your favorite bands. I'm not doing it to make people angry. Jesus Christ.

/rant.

i'm not mad or annoyed or anything about it. unfortunately emotions don't translate well online. so sorry if i seemed annoyed or whatever, it was supposed to be a joking manner.

I mean people can like or dislike whatever bands they like, it's no big deal.

I just have a very strong connection to the band and they mean the world to me. I mean without them I probably wouldn't be on this form or love music as much as I do.

i'm not mad or annoyed or anything about it. unfortunately emotions don't translate well online. so sorry if i seemed annoyed or whatever, it was supposed to be a joking manner.

Oh. Was it?

Well, I feel like an absolute douche now. I totally thought you were taking a shot at me. I'm so sorry. :embarrassed:

Lol Violet's rants are so chill-outy. You do realize you're the most chillaxed person ever when arguing, right?

It only looks that way when I type. In the real world, it's a totally different story.

Oh. Was it?

Well, I feel like an absolute douche now. I totally thought you were taking a shot at me. I'm so sorry. :embarrassed:

It only looks that way when I type. In the real world, it's a totally different story.

don't worry about it!

that what sort of sucks about online chats is that you can't judge sarcasm or anger or any kind of emotion.

no biggie! :)

ah, Violet, "the Long and Winding Road" is actually one of my least favorite songs. I do like Lady Madonna, though. ;)

I personally don't feel that the Beatles are over-rated. I agree with Mike completely... they were really groundbreaking and their influence is seen all over popular culture- not just in music. Not to mention the fact that they wrote some fantastically amazing songs- from very simple pieces like Here Comes the Sun to much more elaborate songs like A Day in The Life. Love, love, love them.