✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Community Center near Ground Zero becoming political football

mksh24

Ground Zero mosque site already open for prayers... despite derelict building having holes in the floor

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 1:54 PM on 22nd September 2010

The site of the proposed Ground Zero mosque is already open for prayer, despite officials describing conditions as 'immediately hazardous'.

Several hundred worshippers are currently using the building, which is in Lower Manhattan, for services once a week.

The building currently has holes in the floor and no proper automatic sprinkler system.

article-1314263-0B3C5740000005DC-947_468x311.jpg Controversial: Sharif el-Gamal, the developer behind the Ground Zero mosque project, visits the site, where worshipers are already praying in spite of safety violations

article-1314263-0B27008B000005DC-788_468x338.jpg Protests: Those who opposed the Ground Zero mosque came out in force on September 11 this year as relations were strained

City inspectors have handed out warnings about the state of the property on August 1 and September 3.

In spite of the violations the owners of the 152-year-old building were handed a temporary permits from the city to use it.

'The two violations will not impact the current temporary place-of-assembly permit, which allows the space to be occupied', said Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani..

This news will anger those who were opposed to the building of the Islamic centre - especially with it coming so soon after the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Earlier this week the maverick preacher Terry Jones who sparked an international crisis over plans to burn the Koran on September 11 was hit with a £100,000 bill to cover the cost of police security for the stunt.

More than 200 police, including members of a SWAT team, were on duty outside the church in Florida where Jones planned his mass burning of the Holy Book, heightening tensions between the West and Islam states.

article-1314263-0B212271000005DC-399_468x498.jpg Epicentre: Pastor Terry Jones, who has refused to pay a security bill from police for the job of protecting his church after he vowed to burn the Koran on 9/11

article-1314263-0B3B9A56000005DC-954_468x313.jpg Fiery: Rev Jones's options on the Koran inflamed relations between the Western and Muslim world

Also last week a protester who burned pages of the Koran outside the site of the planned mosque near Ground Zero has been sacked from his job as a train conductor.

Derek Fenton, 39, of Bloomingdale, New Jersey, was photographed ripping up pages from the Muslim holy book and setting them alight on September 11.

He was removed from outside Park51, the site where the controversial mosque could be built, by police but was later released without charge.

After the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the imam at the centre of the row over building the mosque near Ground Zero has suggested a compromise on its site could be reached, however.

Feisal Abdul Raif said he would listen to suggestions the Islamic centre be built slightly further away from the current planned position, just two blocks from where the Twin Towers stood.

Speaking at the Council on Foreign Relations in Manhattan, New York, he said: 'Everything is on the table. We really are focused on solving it, and solving it in a way that will create the best possible outcome for all.

'I give you my pledge.'

However, the imam, who came under intense scrutiny in the days before the 9/11 anniversary on Saturday, said the site of planned mosque should not be considered 'hallowed ground'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314263/Ground-Zero-mosque-site-open-prayers--despite-derelict-building-having-holes-floor.html#ixzz10H7e0StZ

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so if it was a Catholic community center you wouldn't have a problem? :nice:

I don't have a problem with it. People who were directly affected by 9/11 do (it appears).

However, I don't suppose they would have a problem if it was a Catholic community centre, no, as it would be insignificant.;)

I don't have a problem with it. People who were directly affected by 9/11 do (it appears).

However, I don't suppose they would have a problem if it was a Catholic community centre, no, as it would be insignificant.;)

There are plenty of people who lost relatives, friends, etc. in 9/11 who support it being built.

Who says?

The articles I've read about this. In them they have people interviewed who have lost loved ones in 9/11 and they still support the community center being built. Also I've seen people on the news who lost loved ones saying they support it. It seems that the media will not play these people's opinions as much because the media has such a biased point of view on this subject and have such a way of misconstruing the story (case in point by calling it the "ground-zero mosque").

People need to realize that it wasn't the Islamic people that caused 9/11, it was a group of psycho anti-American terroristic extremists that uses their religion as an excuse for what they do.

Who says?

The articles I've read about this. In them they have people interviewed who have lost loved ones in 9/11 and they still support the community center being built. Also I've seen people on the news who lost loved ones saying they support it. It seems that the media will not play these people's opinions as much because the media has such a biased point of view on this subject and have such a way of misconstruing the story (case in point by calling it the "ground-zero mosque").

I think there's enough evidence to suggest at least some of the next-of-kin are against it, and even if it's just a handful, that should be enough for the people behind the "community centre" to show some sensitivity and relocate it.