✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Community Center near Ground Zero becoming political football

mksh24

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100815/pl_afp/uspoliticsreligionattacks_20100815184754#mwpphu-container

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Republicans pounced on US President Barack Obama's comments supporting the right to build a mosque near Ground Zero Sunday, painting him as out of touch less than three months before key mid-term elections.

Democrats and Republicans squared off on Sunday talk shows to hammer home their positions on the Islamic center which includes a mosque, and argue whether it was appropriate for Obama to wade into the fray.

"This is not about freedom of religion, because we all respect the right of anyone to worship according to the dictates of their conscience," US Senator John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, said on Fox News Sunday.

"But I do think it's unwise... to build a mosque at the site where 3,000 Americans lost their lives as a result of a terrorist attack. And I think to me it demonstrates that Washington, the White House, the administration, the president himself seems to be disconnected from the mainstream of America."

The hot-button issue has stirred raw emotions in the United States, which marks the ninth anniversary of the September 11 attacks next month, and Cornyn said he believes it might resonate with voters at the polls.

"I think this is sort of the dichotomy that people sense, that they're being lectured to, not listened to, and I think that's the reason why a lot of people are very upset with Washington," he said.

Polls show a majority of Americans oppose building the mosque near Ground Zero, but they also show that a majority support the right of Muslims to build it.

Senator Jack Reed, a Democrat, did not answer directly if he thought the mosque should be built, but said he supported its designed intention to provide interfaith communication and dialogue.

"But it can't be there, and I don't think it should be allowed to be there, if it's going to be some type of way to undercut the truth, the reality, of 9/11... which was an attack by fanatical Muslims against the United States," he told the program.

Republican Representative Peter King of New York acknowledged the right to build the mosque but challenged Islamic leaders to "listen to the deep wounds and anguish that this is causing to so many good people" and consider moving the center to a site further away.

"This is such a raw wound and they are just pouring salt into it," King told CNN's "State of the Union" program.

Democrat Jerrold Nadler, also a New York congressman, said it was not up to politicians to decide.

"As to whether the imam wants to have the mosque somewhere else, that's up to them, and government should not pressure them one way or the other."

Obama on Friday said Muslims "have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country."

But the next day Obama clarified that he was not commenting "on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there."

Several Republicans have seized on Obama's comments, including Sarah Palin, who appeared to mock him on her Twitter feed by saying that taking a stance on the mosque "is not above your pay grade."

This whole thing is just blown out proportion, and the comments on Yahoo leave me sick.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandma is going crazy. (She lives on Staten Island and is unfortunately a bit anti-Muslim :disappointed:) She's convinced they only reason they're building that mosque is to make bombs. And she won't believe me when I tell her that over 99.9% of Muslims are law abiding Americans. :shrug: It's become very frustrating.

Whether or not anyone likes it, they have every right to build the mosque wherever they want.

My grandma is going crazy. (She lives on Staten Island and is unfortunately a bit anti-Muslim :disappointed:) She's convinced they only reason they're building that mosque is to make bombs. And she won't believe me when I tell her that over 99.9% of Muslims are law abiding Americans. :shrug: It's become very frustrating.

Whether or not anyone likes it, they have every right to build the mosque wherever they want.

Yep exactly. My family is the same way. They take Al-Qaeda and generalize them with all Muslims. Pretty dumb logic. And conservatives are always throwing around the constitution with every argument, so why don't they recognize the 1st amendment in this issue?

I would have to disagree with you all.

I do understand and feel that people should have the right to practice relgion or whatever else they want to and have many freedoms.

At the same time I find it sort of wrong to put a mosque so close to the WTC site. I mean is it really so difficult to move it to a different site?

It would sort of be like putting some sort of Japanese Shinto or something near Pearl Harbor.

Regardless that the majority of muslims are peaceful people, I feel that it's something that isn't right to do.

I see your side as well. I do think it's like what the guy said in the article about it being salt in the wound. However, they can't exactly tell them that they can't build a mosque as that would be going against our constitution. The Muslims building the mosque could have also been a bit more considerate while planning where to build it. They should have realized that they would get an angry reaction, even if it's not their fault that 9/11 happened.

They'll end up building it, I bet.

I see your side as well. I do think it's like what the guy said in the article about it being salt in the wound. However, they can't exactly tell them that they can't build a mosque as that would be going against our constitution. The Muslims building the mosque could have also been a bit more considerate while planning where to build it. They should have realized that they would get an angry reaction, even if it's not their fault that 9/11 happened.

They'll end up building it, I bet.

I agree that of course they have every right in the world to build a mosque there. At the same time I don't think that it's a very thoughtful choice in doing so. I understand as well as you that most muslims are peaceful and mean no harm, but it is poor choice/taste to have a mosque built in all places near where the WTC was.

Also I'm sure that if/when they build it there will be a lot of angry people going there to protest it.

I feel that they should just move it to a different place to avoid conflict.

I do understand and feel that people should have the right to practice relgion or whatever else they want to and have many freedoms.

At the same time I find it sort of wrong to put a mosque so close to the WTC site. I mean is it really so difficult to move it to a different site?

It would sort of be like putting some sort of Japanese Shinto or something near Pearl Harbor.

Regardless that the majority of muslims are peaceful people, I feel that it's something that isn't right to do.

I agree that of course they have every right in the world to build a mosque there. At the same time I don't think that it's a very thoughtful choice in doing so. I understand as well as you that most muslims are peaceful and mean no harm, but it is poor choice/taste to have a mosque built in all places near where the WTC was.

Also I'm sure that if/when they build it there will be a lot of angry people going there to protest it.

I feel that they should just move it to a different place to avoid conflict.

Very well said. I think you've summed it all up pretty well.;)

It should be obvious it would clearly be inappropriate in this case, and therefore should be avoided as it doesn't need to be built at that particular location.

It isn't a question of right or wrong, just common sense.

Exactly.

I also think of it as irrelevant that the 9/11 attackers were Muslim, because that sort of violence is not part of the Muslim religion. They were psycho extremists.

^agreed... its not right to be prejudice against an entire religion because of a few knuckleheads who decided to terrorize...

I believe in their RIGHT to build and practice anywhere they want.... its their RIGHT. Now, is it necessarily the BEST idea... not really. But I do support their right, so if I had to choose, I would say build it. Its like saying, all Catholic churches should be closed because ALL priests are molesters. Right? Not cool, man.

Yeah I agree it's not in the best taste to build it where it will be built, but like showbiz said it would be going against the constitution

to idiots who seem to think that all Muslims are terrorists, the Constitution means nothing when its not in their favor... thats why they're idiots.. LOL :)

Absolutely Disgraceful!

I'm taking into count that the VAST, VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are law abiding citizens bla..bla..bla and they should be allowed mosques but there are tons of places they can have mosques.

9/11 was a terrible disaster, and I'm sure many people are suffering from the affects of it all and I think this is very dis tasteful!

And Barack Obama should be caring about the needs of all of his country, not just the bloody muslims (I'm not being racist, I'm just getting out my anger!)

I hate to admit that my family are pretty racist...and I hate it, I'm very different and believe no one should receive abuse purely on the colour of their skin.

Sure...have mosques. But there are tons of other places than on/near Ground Zero!

Key point: the mosque won't actually be built ON Ground Zero. It will simply be NEAR it. How close, Iunno, because people are too busy flapping about how it shouldn't be built near the WTC site without actually saying how "near" it will be.

Well keep in mind this is New York so it probably would be hard to move to a different site. Also I know what you mean with your comparison there but wtf, Shintoism is not connected with Pearl Harbor at all.

Also, the planned mosque construction site is a few blocks away from Ground Zero; the media is making it out to be right on top of it or something; it's really not.

Key point: the mosque won't actually be built ON Ground Zero. It will simply be NEAR it. How close, Iunno, because people are too busy flapping about how it shouldn't be built near the WTC site without actually saying how "near" it will be.

Exactly. It's several blocks away. Nobody mentions this, ever.

It's terribly ironic in my opinion that conservatives are supposed to support the original Bill of Rights, personal freedom, limited government, inability of the government to regulate religious affairs, etc, (well, most conservatives couldn't give two shits about separation of church and state, but that particular issue goes hand-in-hand with the ideals mentioned above) and all they want to do is make their government prevent this from happening. Such lulz! It takes a liberal government that wants to socialize the nation's healthcare (just as an example) to make the conservatives back off here.

Just goes to show, I guess, how meaningless political labels really are. They change every few years.

The Mosque would be located 2 blocks away.

Within the same neighbourhood, a Mosque has co-existed peacefully already for over 40 years- both pre-and post 11th September.

So is "two blocks away" considered to be enough for it not to be an issue? If that's the case I don't know what all the fuss is about.:confused:

Well keep in mind this is New York so it probably would be hard to move to a different site. Also I know what you mean with your comparison there but wtf, Shintoism is not connected with Pearl Harbor at all.

Also, the planned mosque construction site is a few blocks away from Ground Zero; the media is making it out to be right on top of it or something; it's really not.

Exactly. It's several blocks away. Nobody mentions this, ever.

approx. 2 blocks away.....

I seriously don't understand the anger about it... unless idiots feel that Muslims and Islam are responsible for the tragic events of 9/11.... last time I checked it was Al-Queda who caused that.... not Muslims.

Very well said. I think you've summed it all up pretty well.;)

It should be obvious it would clearly be inappropriate in this case, and therefore should be avoided as it doesn't need to be built at that particular location.

It isn't a question of right or wrong, just common sense.

It is a question of right or wrong when the Constitution is involved. Religious freedom is one of the main reasons our country started to be colonized.

Exactly. And 2 blocks away is not that close.

It is the families of the 11th September victim's who rightly made the fuss, followed by US citizens. Point still being- just because they have the right to locate there, does not make it right. I say prove your compassion for the victims and families and situation in whole,and show that being a peaceful and respectful lot is the way to win over those who hate/have concern or fear.

Why pour salt into a still gaping wound.