✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bands that are better live than on CD

bjaiken

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
He asked for a band,not some unknown gender .

Muse is easily the best live band ever

Muse exploit themselves brilliantly live but their overall catalogue doesn't justify them being the best live band ever. U2 are still lightyears ahead of Muse and besides - half of Muse's set sounds the same. I mean Muse can't do a transition from out and out rocker like Until The End Of The World to the atmospheric anthemic New Years Day, changing the mood instantly. Muse cannot change the mood in an arena like U2 can do. U2 - are the Gods live and even thinking rationally and not biased - I honestly feel they are the greatest ever band live.

Muse exploit themselves brilliantly live but their overall catalogue doesn't justify them being the best live band ever. U2 are still lightyears ahead of Muse and besides - half of Muse's set sounds the same. I mean Muse can't do a transition from out and out rocker like Until The End Of The World to the atmospheric anthemic New Years Day, changing the mood instantly. Muse cannot change the mood in an arena like U2 can do. U2 - are the Gods live and even thinking rationally and not biased - I honestly feel they are the greatest ever band live.

I can see what you mean, however Muse do change their show's atmosphere very well- they just haven't been changing up the setlist too much so you can't tell recently.

But this is the actual order on their live dvd:

Very rocking:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

to mellow:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

to interesting and intricate:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

back to crazy rocking:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Although I've never really watched U2 live, so I can't really compare them.

^

I highly recommend watching one of the Elevation era live DVDs (so boston or slane castle) and you'll see what he means. As great at Muse is live, there is this certain emotional level that U2 gets to that I have yet to see in any other band live.

Arcade Fire come close to channeling that live presence actually. Which isn't surprising since they are U2 fans, at least Win is.

^

I highly recommend watching one of the Elevation era live DVDs (so boston or slane castle) and you'll see what he means. As great at Muse is live, there is this certain emotional level that U2 gets to that I have yet to see in any other band live.

Arcade Fire come close to channeling that live presence actually. Which isn't surprising since they are U2 fans, at least Win is.

I could never get into U2, it was something about Bono's voice. :bigcry:

Guest howyousawtheworld
^

Slane Castle is a phenomenal dvd. I love the warmth the band gets from playing in their home country which just inspires them brilliantly! But Zoo TV Live from Sydney is just so awe inspiring and is for me their best performance comfortably. I never get tired of this section of it. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up especially the interlude into Where The Streets Have No Name from 4.17 onwards. I want every U2 doubter to view that concert!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatIg7Pokyk]YouTube - U2 - Running To Stand Still & Where The Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Live From Sydney)[/ame]

That wasn't too bad actually. :thinking: Running to Stand Still sounded better than When the Streets Have No Name imo. Bono's voice, which is the only part of U2 I don't like, actually sounded pretty good. Until he got to those hallelujas, that is.

He sounde better there than in No Line on the Horizon, which, no offense, I thought was pretty bad.

theres a scene in the recent rockumentary It Might Get Loud where they show The Edge playing an original demo of Where the Streets on his ancient 4 track, it then gradually it makes a transition into the band playing the song in front of 80 000 fans at Slane. i wish i could find a clip of it online cos it is goosebump worthy.

my favourite live U2 video would have to be Live in Paris 1987 aka the Tear Gas Show.

The thing I don't like about U2 is the bono's 'rock god' kind of thing. I am a big U2 fan and I love their music, but I can never understand bono. haha.

I am a little disappointed I'm not going to their show here in a few months...it's just too expensive to fly up and buy tickets. I'm trying to fund my own musical career, not theirs :P

I would have loved to see them during the Joshua Tree tour. This song is epic!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkWPbarTgs0]YouTube - U2 Exit[/ame]

^ Wow! That's so odd that you included the clip of "Exit." When I was talking about U2 during the Joshua Tree era, I was thinking about adding that exact same clip to this thread. It is a perfect example of the old U2. Very epic.

Bono is cool by me. His "arrogance" doesn't bother me for a number of reasons: 1) He is always joking about his messianic complex, which means he knows that he, as a rock star, has a big ego and 2) I don't know that I really want him to be a humble rock star. Part of U2's driving force is their level of ambition, which is matched by no band that I can think of. You don't go out on a tour that costs a million dollars a day (operating or not) and hope it turns out well. You must have an unwavering level of confidence in yourself and your band to pull off a stage show of that size. This band sells out multiple nights in outdoor stadiums approaching 100,000 people. You have to be confident. Of course, whenever someone is super confident the label "arrogant" is always going to be thrown around. I don't see how you avoid that.

Anyhow, those of you not familiar with the sound of live U2 in the old days should soak up this clip of "Exit." Enjoy.

I'd love to see them do another arena tour with a more simple stage (like the Elevation tour) but I'm not too sure how likely that is...

I'd say it's likely. In North America, both the Elevation and Vertigo tours were arena shows. I know they were outdoor and bigger in other places in the world.

I'd love to see them do another arena tour with a more simple stage (like the Elevation tour) but I'm not too sure how likely that is...

My friend who is a mega U2 fan and usually is right about stuff (he runs u2wanderer.org and u2tours.com) said that they are probably going to go back to a really basic stage setup and stripped back show for the post-360 tour.

My guess is they right now are just having so much fun with the claw and want to get their moneys worth out of it hehe.

My friend who is a mega U2 fan and usually is right about stuff (he runs u2wanderer.org and u2tours.com) said that they are probably going to go back to a really basic stage setup and stripped back show for the post-360 tour.

My guess is they right now are just having so much fun with the claw and want to get their moneys worth out of it hehe.

Yeah, "The Claw" X 3 is no cheap investment. They definitely need to get their moneys worth out of it.

It's funny with U2 - anything smaller than an arena is too small. I don't prefer the stadiums, but this is a band built for large crowds.

I'm not saying their albums sound bad. Cause they DEFINITELY are amazing. But I just had the pleasure of seeing Stars live and my gosh they are phenomenal!!!!

Plus I had no where else to post this since I can't find their topic on here in the index.

WOOO. Five Ghosts is a great album!