✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bands that are better live than on CD

bjaiken

Who are they? I'm not talking about greatest live bands (although many will fall into this category). I'm more interested in bands whose CD, as good as it might be, doesn't quite do them justice.

This could be from experience, watching a live DVD, listening to bootleg tapes, etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the idea of this thread.

Honestly though I think its tough to pick though. I personally find so many bands produce great studio albums that although live is great sometimes it's not as good.

either way I think that these are bands that I would consider to be really great live or possibly better live than studio:

Pink Floyd

Phish

Radiohead

Led Zeppelin

The Album Leaf

Broken Social Scene

Wilco. I struggle to listen to some of their earlier albums. even Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...

and in my opinion, they're one of the best live bands ever!

I totally agree with this Eddie. I think a big part of this really comes down to how great a frontman Jeff Tweedy really is. I find their albums can have some pretty dull moments, but live it is pretty awesome the whole way.

I don't know, I've only been to an MGMT concert because I'm a child.

Anyways, well I do like them more on the album, for me it's like them.. but live, so his voice fucks up every once in a while, and it doesn't sound the same with all of their computah noises.

My list:

Rich Aucoin

Hey Rosetta!

Joel Plaskett

Wintersleep

Okay so I basically listed all East Coast bands that I've seen who have absolutely killer live shows and I try to see them as much as possible. Some artists like Joel Plaskett I find his albums are kind of surfable (i.e. can jump around song to song) but live his shows are amazingly well put together and he has such a great stage presence.

With Hey Rosetta! their album is great, but it isn't until you see the passion of them playing their instruments as well as things like the violin and cello live where their strengths really bleed through.

Snow Patrol

+1000000000000 I was a 'casual' fan of them before seing them live and it change drasticly to 'hardcore' :lol: after seing them. Never seen a band so bloody happy to be there for you and so eager to share a special moment with you, to make you participate....You really feel that you're not just 'another gig' on their list. The songs takes another dimensions and thanks to Gary's funny banters, you also have a comical act :laugh3:

I'll add Florence+The Machine on that list, you can really 'understand' her music after seeing her live. AMAZING!

There are some bands that I found amazing in concert but never managed to hear a whole album. Something missing on CD, energy, ambiance ...

Archive

[...]

Oh, I only have their "Controlling crowds" album and love it.

I bet they're great live!

+1000000000000 I was a 'casual' fan of them before seing them live and it change drasticly to 'hardcore' :lol: after seing them. Never seen a band so bloody happy to be there for you and so eager to share a special moment with you, to make you participate....You really feel that you're not just 'another gig' on their list. The songs takes another dimensions and thanks to Gary's funny banters, you also have a comical act :laugh3:

[...]

Yes, that as well!

But to be honest - I never really listen to their albums.

The songs sound so much better live.

While they make me sleepy on the albums (I'm exaggerating :kiss:) there's a whole different energy in the songs when they perform them live. :heart: