11. Megalomania

Singles:

Plug in Baby

New Born

Bliss

Hyper Music

Feeling Good

Your crash course on OOS:

It's Muse's second studio album and was released on July 17 2001 by Mushroom Records. (Hah, that makes me laugh because they did mushrooms while recording this, anyway...) It reached #3 in the UK and was certified platinum. They experiment throughout the album with the drums, different vocals, and the pipe organ used on Megalomania. It's a little darker than Showbiz. They recorded some of it while touring their first album which influences the work. The album features the popular cover "Feeling Good" which was originally written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse.

Fun facts:

Bliss reminds Matt of a nintendo game he played when he was young.

Nestle used "Feeling Good" in a commercial without the band's permission, so they used and donated the money to charity.

Personal opinion:

This is my favorite Muse album, and hands down one of my favorite albums in general. I love it from beginning to end. All aspects of this album amaze me: from Dom's drums to the guitar riffs to the basslines to Matt's vocals and his lyrics. Originally I didn't like a few of the songs as much, but after listening to them more and watching live videos I fell in love. Some of the guitar parts on this album are insane, like in New Born. You can always listen to this album because there are so many emotions on it. I think it's a very powerful album. I never get tired of listening to it.

It's definitely a must listen for everybody.

I tried to go track by track describing each song, but I couldn't do it. I can't put my thoughts into words and sentences, I fail and I'm sorry. I really love each and every song though, I can't stress that enough. Some of Matt's greatest guitar skill is shown on this album, especially on New Born and Plug in Baby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_F5A8vX2Y]YouTube - Muse - Hyper Music (Live)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_wEbe9S4gU]YouTube - Muse Hullabaloo - Bliss [High Quality][/ame]

Side note: I'm posting this now because I don't think I'll be home until around 7 pm tomorrow. And I'm sorry my descriptions suck, I'm not good at that kind of thing. I'm dying to know how you guys feel though! :dance:

Discuss.

Well, it's Tuesday in the UK, and that's where Muse are from, so this is perfectly acceptable. :smug2:

Anyway, here's what I think of it.

OoS is a huge step up from "Showbiz." Seriously. They've allowed themselves to experiment so much more. The layering on this album is terrific. It's too bad that these songs had to be simplified when played live. This problem actually led to part of the concept of "Absolution," but I'll save that discussion tomorrow when I post about that album. :tongue:

As far as songs go, it's really hard to rank them, since they're all so equally good in my mind. I think my top three consist of "Citizen Erased," "Space Dementia," and "Megalomania." I'm not really sure. I can tell you that "Megalomania" is arguably the most epic album closer ever. Who doesn't love huge organ to end the epicness that is Muse?

I'm pretty sure my least favorite is "Hyper Music." I actually prefer "Hyper Chondriac Music" from Hullabaloo to the OoS album version of the song by quite a bit. That's just me, though. :shrug:

Great post! :)

This is definitely my favorite Muse album. All the songs work really well together. I love the rawness of it, the guitar riffs, and how you can hear the classical influences beginning to seep in (e.g., Space Dementia).

My top three would be Bliss, Plug In Baby, and Darkshines (I'm kind of in love with Chris' bass on this song :awesome:).

Bliss is my favorite Muse song. Period. The fact that is has an awesome video to accompany it (one of Muse's best, actually) sweetens the deal. It's a real drag that it gets played so infrequently, which is part of the reason I bawled when I saw them play it last month (the other part being, well, that it's ****ing Bliss). The song is really something special.

Not that it's the only song worth noting, of course. While I prefer Absolution, OoS is a treasure. Plug In Baby and New Born helped to put Muse on the map, while Space Dementia and especially Citizen Erased remain two of the most popular Muse songs among the hardcore fanbase. Perhaps the most underrated song is Darkshines, which is Muse being raw at their best.

If I had to pick out a song on here I'm not a huge fan of, it would be Screenager. But everything else on the album is a home run, and that includes their cover of Feeling Good, which when you think about it, only gets flack from fans because it takes the slot of superior piano songs during live shows.

Apparently New Born has been rotated out of a couple recent shows, which is pretty sad. It's not as famous as Plug In Baby, but it's still one of Muse's best rockers and envisioning an LP6 tour without New Born is a horrifying thought. (Heck, Matt hasn't even been on piano for it during this current tour.)

All in all, Origin is a classic and sets a good example of what I'd like to see Muse come back to for LP6.

OoS is plain awesome, one of my most favorite albums of all time. My favorite songs off this album are New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Plug in Baby, Citizen Erased ( I do prefer Hullabaloo version, it's so much better :wacky:), Dark Shines, Feeling Good. :nice:

Also I love Bliss video so much, I love Chris wtf face when Matt is falling into the bottomless hole :P :lol:

Anyway, here's what I think of it.

OoS is a huge step up from "Showbiz." Seriously. They've allowed themselves to experiment so much more.

They experiment so much more in this album that some songs are just too hard for me to like(Screenage and Micro Cuts) Its really hard for me to compare OoS, Showbiz and Absolution...Each one of them have something unique. I guess i prefer Showbiz because it was the first album, and the reason that made me enjoy Muse so much. But if you compare my 'grades' with the Showbiz post from yesterday, ill rate OoS much better.

My 'ratings' and little comments on the songs:

1. New Born => For me its the most Muselike song, and live its just fucking Awesome, and the bassline rocks. 10/10

2. Bliss => My ringtone, and its definitely in my top 5 Muse song's.Its amazing when played live(like all Muse songs). 10/10

Fun fact:

Its identical the Top Gear's song:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtOyNPRnO2o&feature=fvst[/ame]

3. Space Dementia => One of the most 'darkest' songs of Muse, and the piano intro is really something...But for me, the meaning is a little too hard to understand, but i guess its all about the feeling you get when your hear it.Still it's not one of my favorites... 9/10

4. Hyper Music => I just love the bassline in this song, and the first line is wonderfull...so much emotion on it. 9,5/10

5. Plug in Baby => I didn't like it at first, but then i had an epiphany on the meaning of it, and i made a comparison with something that happened to me and when i realized it was one of my favorite songs. The lyric is amazing, one of the bests.10/10

6. Citizen Erased => At first a didn't liked it, but now i really really really enjoy this song...its like wine, the older the better :lol: [2] Its on my top 5 Muse now easilly 10/10

I just love this version:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4R84e1HqvU[/ame]

OBS: 3:37, the look on Matt's face...:laugh3:

7. Micro Cuts => I don't like the voice of Matt in this song, i can't hear it...and the live versions are kind annoying for me to listen. That's just my opinion tough, i know a lot people really like this song. I love the intro tough. 6/10

8. Screenager => The same thing with Screenager, i can't hear it... 6/10

9. Dark Shines => My favorite song on this album, definitely in my top 5 Muse songs(I know, my top 5 has like thirty songs :laugh3:) The last chorus is one of the most epic lines i've ever heard i just love it, its has so much passion...And to me it has a meaning that is really hard for me to accept, its something that is happening to me actually. Darkshines, imo, means that little sparkle of hope in the middle of a relationship, or something, that you know its already over but as you're blinded you insist on the mistake and of course, you are going down. 'Dark shines, bringing me down...Making my heart feel sore. Because it's good :cry:' Its freaking epic, perhaps my favorite of all Muse songs. 10000/10

OBS: In one of the Chorus Matt actually sings: You are darkshines. That's one of the reasons i believe it has something to do with a relationship.

OBS2: An early live version had the following different second verse:

I don't know what ?

It all seems so meaningless

I hope you know it

So be mine and your innocence

I will consume

Favorite version(i actually prefer the album version tough):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCv6zC4jtQ]YouTube - Muse - Darkshines (Live)[/ame]

10. Feeling Good => after darkshines this here is so peacefull and easy to hear :laugh3: i love it, even tough its a cover. 9/10

11. Megalomania => I can't really get the meaning of it...But the chorus is really something, but its the only part that really makes me feel something. I love to hear it before sleep. :lol: 8,5/10

Im sorry for the bad english :embarrassed:

:dance: Muse is making my day more interesting.

EDIT: And one of my coworkers came in and yelled at me because I was playing the Muse too loud. :wacko:

:awesome:

BAHAHAHA. If your coworker tried to enjoy it, maybe (s)he wouldn't be such an angry person. :tongue:

Origin of Symmetry is a close second for being my favourite Muse album. I love it. :heart: My top 5 songs are Bliss, Citizen Erased, Megalomania, Space Dementia and New Born.

Megalomania is such a powerful closer. :awesome:

High-five to you, good woman. :awesome:

:awesome:

BAHAHAHA. If your coworker tried to enjoy it, maybe (s)he wouldn't be such an angry person. :tongue:

Exactly. So I only turned it town a smudge. Technically I have more power than she does even though I'm not her boss, so there's not really anything she can do about it. Muse has been echoing through the halls all morning. :P Maybe it'll do her crappy attitude some good!

I :heart: OoS. :wacky:

The singles are really incredible. :freak: Try to listen to Plug In Baby and not be blown away, it's impossible. :P

The only songs I don't really like too much are Screenager and Megalomania, I don't know why but I just can't get into them like I can with Hyper Music or Plug in Baby. :thinking:

Oh no you d'nt! :snobby:

:lips:

I just never really liked Megalomania. :disappointed:

i like Megalomania but fell in love with it when i heard these versions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoeFxa10MZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoeFxa10MZ8[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUroKagUGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUroKagUGI[/ame]

and i don't like two of the most popular songs in fans "hyper music"and "deadstar":facepalm:

and i love this album:dance: