✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Biffy Clyro VS. The X Factor

iPsy

Sellouts?

For those who don't know. Matt Cardle, the winner of this years X Factor has released Biffy Clyro's track 'Many Of Horror' with the name of 'When We Collide'...many people are angered at the name change, the fact that Biffy Clyro seem to be sellouts to the machine that is the X Factor, etc.

What is your take?

Personally, I love the track (Biffy Clyro are on of my favourite bands) and whether you like the X Factor or not, you have to admit that Matt Cardle is a brilliant singer and I think his cover is not bad, well not as bad as people are making it out to be...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this isn't discuss in the Biffy thread?! :thinking: We're already cursing X-factor there...XD

I don't think Biffy are sell-outs...I don't think they even know the show was covering their song...

and I'm with Paula on that one: MON THE BIFFY!!!

Let's Get Biffy Clyro's 'Many of Horror' to Number One for Christmas 2010[/url]

MON THE BIFFY!!!

156656_10150338757780475_554120474_16500362_1861900_n.jpg

:P

It's not about pop vs. real music, it's about the fact that Biffy have no place on the bleedin' xfactor. We'd be just as pissed if Glee did a Biffy episode (oh god, heaven forbid) ;)

Oh and I bought Many of Horror again (twice, actually, just for the fun of it) :lol:

:smug::smug::smug::smug:

Why do Biffy have no place on X Factor?

Have you heard the contestants?? Sure they can sing but with no passion, it's souless.... :confused: Biffy's all about passion and 'fusion' with the music...Where is all that in this pale cover???! With a good singger in their hands they manage to transform a 'fire' song into a dull one. And that's not 'good' in my book.

Why do Biffy have no place on X Factor?

Ok I should have said in my humble opinion Biffy have no place on x factor, tho if Biffy themselves don't mind it, then who are we to complain? It's just that (imo) Biffy represent something that's the complete and utter opposite of shows like that, where all someone has to do is look a bit pretty, have a good singing voice and wait in line for an audition and then keep coming back. I'm not knocking what the contestants have to go thru, I know I couldn't do it, but on the other end of the scale you have bands like Biffy Clyro who have worked their arses off for several years, writing albums, playing gig after gig after gig and slowly building a following and they've done it whilst maintaining their originality and uniqueness and not selling out to the man.

As I read in an article recently, the mainstream came to Biffy, not the other way round, and I applaud them for that. I just think this is a little too much mainstream :sick:

Ok I should have said in my humble opinion Biffy have no place on x factor, tho if Biffy themselves don't mind it, then who are we to complain? It's just that (imo) Biffy represent something that's the complete and utter opposite of shows like that, where all someone has to do is look a bit pretty, have a good singing voice and wait in line for an audition and then keep coming back. I'm not knocking what the contestants have to go thru, I know I couldn't do it, but on the other end of the scale you have bands like Biffy Clyro who have worked their arses off for several years, writing albums, playing gig after gig after gig and slowly building a following and they've done it whilst maintaining their originality and uniqueness and not selling out to the man.

As I read in an article recently, the mainstream came to Biffy, not the other way round, and I applaud them for that. I just think this is a little too much mainstream :sick:

Couldn't have said it much better Paula :clap::clap:

@Aurélie Ta :D

This makes interesting reading - a long-term Biffy fan's take on the situation.

The track, initially named Many Of Horror (When We Collide), has even been renamed When We Collide, after X Factor executives claimed the initial title wasn’t ‘Christmassy’ enough

There ya go, not Christassy enough :shrug: Jeeez...

Anyway I think it's sad that some fans are calling them sellouts, especially considering that it was essentially out of their hands. But on the other hand it probably will help them achieve a wider audience. Hopefully some of the more intelligent x factor fans will go seek out the original and buy OR :thumbsup:

I'm no X-factor fan but Matt Cardle's an incredible singer (when he's not sick) with a lot of passion.

He's been in a band for years and years, I believe they have two or three albums you can buy, but they couldn't get a record deal so he tried the X-factor instead (?) so in that sense I guess you'd say he's 'sold out'.

Many of Horror was already subtitled 'When We Collide' by Biffy on some listings wasn't it? So it's not a huge name change. 'Many of Horror' doesn't make sense, and of course you can't use that title for a song hoping to be Christmas number one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Many-Horror-When-We-Collide/dp/B0032YXPXA]Many Of Horror [When We Collide]: Biffy Clyro: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads[/ame]

And they have no say whatsoever in it being released afaik, as long as they're paid royalties, so I have no idea why people say they're selling out - it's out of their hands.

Who gives a shit who writes the music. If I hear a good song and I like it, I don't find out whether or not the singer wrote it themselves, and then suddenly despise the song if I find out they didn't write out. The Beatles first album was a covers album! Not everyone who can write a song wants to or is able to perform, just like not everyone who can sing or perform can write a song.

I think you misunderstanding me, I didn't say all artists who don't write their own music don't deserve a place in the music industry, I was just highlighting that these two things are at opposite ends of the scale, and that bringing the two together isn't always such a good thing. Persoanlly, I don't have that big an issue with the x factor or pop music in general, I'd rather the x factor winners were given an original song to sing as their first single, why can't the powers that be commision a good, home-grown, pop songwriter to write the winning song especially for the winner, rather than churn out mediocre covers. I felt the same way about the Hallelujah song a few years back, covering these things in the show itself is one thing, but for the winning single (which will sell well anyway) why not pick something new?

And it's jus tmy opinion and all this has made an interesting debate, there's no need to be insulting.

Oh and lots of people give a shit about bands that write their own music, it's not absolutely necessary to a good song, I agree, but it does mean that a song means something really deep and personal to the band that play it, and that's important to lots of people, which is why guitar bands do so well.

I agree with you Paula, if he has been in a band surely he has a bit of understanding about music writing and if he can't there are plenty of writer out there I'm sure who could write one especially for the show. It just sometimes feels that the first artist to make the song doesn't get enough recognition for it because it's remembered for the cover