✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Biffy Clyro VS. The X Factor

iPsy

Oh and lots of people give a shit about bands that write their own music, it's not absolutely necessary to a good song, I agree, but it does mean that a song means something really deep and personal to the band that play it, and that's important to lots of people, which is why guitar bands do so well.

Just cos you don't write the song, it doesn't mean it can't mean something really deep and personal to you. You ever heard a song and felt like it was written just for you? Heard a song that's made you cry? Well imagine if a songwriter had written it for you to sing and release. You'd still sing it with the exact same feeling and passion. I doubt Chris Martin has ever heard Roman cavalry choirs singing in Jerusalem, but he still wrote a song about it. It doesn't make it any more 'important' than Ellie Goulding's cover of Your Song.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biffy Clyro is awesome.

Matt is great.

The cover is good.

S'all good in my opinion.

Seconded.

It's different enough version not to be a pale imitation.

And, in all honesty, if this gets Biffy recognised by a wider audience range-- then I can't argue with that. They kind of deserve this sort of recognition/payoff after all the hard graft they've been putting in over the years.

Just cos you don't write the song, it doesn't mean it can't mean something really deep and personal to you. You ever heard a song and felt like it was written just for you? Heard a song that's made you cry? Well imagine if a songwriter had written it for you to sing and release. You'd still sing it with the exact same feeling and passion. I doubt Chris Martin has ever heard Roman cavalry choirs singing in Jerusalem, but he still wrote a song about it. It doesn't make it any more 'important' than Ellie Goulding's cover of Your Song.

Oh I absolutely agree in some cases, yes, a singer could get just as emotionally involved in music/lyrics written by someone else.

But the importance thing, well, that's all objective, isn't it? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, or rather in the ear, in this case. Song A is only more important than song B, to a person if that person feels the passion and the emotion in that song more than the other one, regardless of the genre or the crediblity of the song.

Doubtless, people are moved by Britney Spears songs, personally I can't understand why but that's just me, but to say her songs (for example) are 'less important' than someone else's, I dunno, I guess that seems a bit harsh but for me it does feel as though her songs would be lacking in credibility or feeling or truth. But then I would say 95% of the music I listen to & enjoy is written by the band/artist themselves, so I'm probs not very objective on that.

Anyway, going waaay off topic here, so yeah MON THE BIFF! :cool:

How was this whole situation out of Biffy's hands? I'm honestly just curious, I mean they have to have rights to that song somehow. 'Cus I know there have been musicians who have flat out said they would never allow x factor to use their songs.

Their current record co is part owned by Cowell, and I believe it was the rec comp's decision to allow the cover. Bastards. (j/k)

Guest howyousawtheworld

Biffy Clyro? I would rather not. They've pulled off the Kings of Leon stunt - sell yourself out like crap and people will buy into it. Now they sound like some sort of cheap Snow Patrol piss take - and that's not good.

Unlike KoL before their sell out moment, Biffy Clyro were never good!

Biffy Clyro? I would rather not. They've pulled off the Kings of Leon stunt - sell yourself out like crap and people will buy into it. Now they sound like some sort of cheap Snow Patrol piss take - and that's not good.

Biffy were alright after their first album, a nice little band, I'll never understand why they exploded on the Indie scene.

First, no one insult the Patrol here :whip: :D You don't like them fine, but that's a band that deserve more respect than other for so many reason, I'm not even going to start. They're a lot like Biffy btw (music aside).

Second, I don"t understand WHY people say they have sell out...I think you mistake 'commercial' (aka Britney) for 'POPULAR'. You can be popular without compromising yourself or your music, that's what Biffy does. As for the evolution of their music, you change during the course of life, it's normal for a band to explore different directions. Doesn't mean they have 'sell out' (implying they did it for the money)...this kind of reasonning is just reductiv. Plus, the point in doing music is for your work to be heard by the most people....So why should a band stay in the shadows to be good?!! That's ridiculous.

I'm sure Biffy are very grateful to Simon Cowell and Matt Cardle for the royalties.

They don't care about cash. They've been in the shadows for 10 years and were just fine with it. As Simon once said: 'I prefer mean truly something for 100 fans than a little 'yeah, good' for a million'.

lol. Completely disagree. You got Kings of Leon and Biffy very confused there.

Biffy's first three albums are absolutely brilliant, mind-bending masterful pieces of work. I can't say I begrudge them of their success since Puzzle, but from a selfish, music fan point-of-view, I can't say I find Many of Horror anywhere near good.

Kings of Leon are and always have been shite.

How was this whole situation out of Biffy's hands? I'm honestly just curious, I mean they have to have rights to that song somehow. 'Cus I know there have been musicians who have flat out said they would never allow x factor to use their songs.

Quote by Simon ages ago:

People: once a band releases a song, is within the public domain. Any fucker can cover it WITHOUT the permission of the original songwriter. Different in America, but a cover is a cover in the UK... Syco can do what they want to a song that has already been released.

So there you go.

Biffy Clyro are/were good... But KoL have and always be in a different league and are always going to be bigger and better (even if you think they've sold out. CAS is a brilliant album and I don't think as commercially viable as OBTN was)