✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pitchfork: Albums of the Year 2010

The Escapist

Shouldn't surprise you that people dislike it. Yes, it may have a huge fan base (the album) but it doesn't have to be absolute.

I wasn't kidding or being obnoxious with those bolded sentences. Everytime I say it's bad in my opinion, AF fans come right to me and tell me stuff like the stuff you said.

People say that stuff as if it was a sin to dislike it :/

I guess I should shut the fuck up from now on and never say I dislike any albums, it's easier, and I get less irritated.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you personally don't like an album doesn't make it overrated.

It's sort of like the Beatles for me, I don't care for them but I see their importance.

With Arcade Fire and Kanye West both of those albums were well accepted by virtually every major music media website/magazine/blogs etc. Sure you may not have liked the albums or like other ones better, that doesn't mean that the Suburbs and MBDTF were bad albums or overhyped. I think the year end lists are a pretty good general assessment of what alternative music listeners enjoyed this year. Just wait for our year end list here on Coldplaying and you'll see a lot of the same albums come up in our results as those from P4K, Rolling Stone, Stereogum, MOJO, Rolling Stone, etc. Writers generally don't go out and hype up shit music that nobody likes.

I guess I should shut the fuck up from now on and never say I dislike any albums, it's easier, and I get less irritated.

Or maybe stick to talking about what you do like. And when you don't like something justify your reasoning and don't keep saying you don't like the same albums over and over again.

Shouldn't surprise you that people dislike it. Yes, it may have a huge fan base (the album) but it doesn't have to be absolute.

I wasn't kidding or being obnoxious with those bolded sentences. Everytime I say it's bad in my opinion, AF fans come right to me and tell me stuff like the stuff you said.

People say that stuff as if it was a sin to dislike it :/

I didn't say it was absolute. I merely said that you're one of only a few people I know who dislike it. There's a difference.

Yes, I know what I said, but I didn't mean it in the way that you obviously interpreted it, nor was I trying to be rude to you by stating my opinion, which just so happened to be like almost everyone else's. I don't say things to come off as like, "Ahhh, yeah, ƒuck you," because frankly, that's just plain rude.

No, that's not the problem at all. I don't care if you think the album is the worst thing ever. It's just that to me, the way you reacted to what I said seemed rather...I don't know how to explain it, really. You could perhaps say I felt intimidated. I can't think of a word. It was just that based on what you had said in response to what I said, I felt the need to defend/explain myself, and yadda yadda yadda, we end up here. Look, I'm sorry. OK? Really. I wasn't purposefully trying to argue with you. I hate conflict. I just wanted you to understand me, and I guess I did a poor job of explaining myself. Can we forget it now?

CAT FIGHT!!! WOOOOO!

:blank:

It's sort of like the Beatles for me, I don't care for them but I see their importance.

With Arcade Fire and Kanye West both of those albums were well accepted by virtually every major music media website/magazine/blogs etc. Sure you may not have liked the albums or like other ones better, that doesn't mean that the Suburbs and MBDTF were bad albums or overhyped. I think the year end lists are a pretty good general assessment of what alternative music listeners enjoyed this year. Just wait for our year end list here on Coldplaying and you'll see a lot of the same albums come up in our results as those from P4K, Rolling Stone, Stereogum, MOJO, Rolling Stone, etc. Writers generally don't go out and hype up shit music that nobody likes.

Thank you!

I never said that me disliking it makes it overrated. I was clear dammit, people made it look bigger than it is. It's not in my opionion. I read/heard everywhere "It's amazing, best album of the year" and I listened to something not worthy of it.

I never said that me disliking it makes it overrated. I was clear dammit, people made it look bigger than it is. It's not in my opionion. I read/heard everywhere "It's amazing, best album of the year" and I listened to something not worthy of it.

It didn't even make Pitchfork's top 10.....

But you are saying its overrated and you dislike it aren't you?

alright I've read this and I think that people of course are entitled to their opinions and that there can be no real winner when it comes to these topics that are subjective.

but.... I would though have to agree with what Alexa is saying though. From my point of view she was trying to say how albums like Arcade Fire and Kanye were very overhyped before they were released and after which I guess I have to agree with. Regardless of what many of you may think a band like Arcade Fire are not an indie band and have not been an indie band since after Funeral was released and became such a big and popular album. So with bands being so popular naturally they are going to have a lot of hype. I feel that Arcade Fire did have a lot of hype with the new album. I mean I remember even before the album was released people saying how awesome it was going to be and even I was hyping it up, since I remember before it came out I was saying that it's going to automatically be in my favorite albums of the year. When I think about it that's an outrageous statement to make having not listened to any of the album.

With any big band or artist there is going to be so much hype before they release an album. And also I think due to those artists being so popular that a lot of people are going to have high hopes initially regardless of how good an album actually is.

In terms of the coldplay'd it I also have to agree because although you mentioned that P4K did not give it critical acclaim it still was an album that was way overhyped up to and after it was released. Because they have the name Coldplay there is going to be hype.

I think that for really popular artists there is going to be a lot of pre and post album hype regardless of if the album is good. I mean to ask some of you when albums came out like The Resistance, or VLV, or No Line on the Horizon I'm sure there was a lot of prehype and when the albums were released so many people raved about the album, but now I'm sure a lot of people might change their minds and say it's not their favorites of a given year.

This post is too long....

In that case any mainstream band is going to be Coldplayd' which is in fact nothing unique to Coldplay.

true... but with this being a coldplay forum, and with so many fanboys/girls that will love anything that they release I think that she was trying to make a similar point in that many fans will rave about a song or album regardless if it was good or not (which of course is subjective).

it's also a lot like technology too... i mean when the ipad was released people thought it was going to be amazing or so cool... but looking at it now is it not really such a big thing, as say an ipod or the iphone.

It's also similar on the topic of apple because you are going to always have those people that will love apple products regardless of how useful they actually are. Like for me I think that the ipad could've been really cool, but it's just like a large ipod touch.

With Viva it was only really greatly liked and hyped by its fanbase.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has drawn in lots of listeners that typically do not listen to hip hop or any of that genre of music. Just look at this forum as proof of that. Kanye is essentially the only hip hop artist that has been discussed here all year.

With Viva it was only really greatly liked and hyped by its fanbase.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has drawn in lots of listeners that typically do not listen to hip hop or any of that genre of music. Just look at this forum as proof of that. Kanye is essentially the only hip hop artist that has been discussed here all year.

I don't know about coldplay. I found that a lot of people had talked alot of the new album and hyped it up prior to the release either online or on the radio. Maybe for your area it wasn't so hyped.

That is true in that Kanye's new album has drawn a lot of new listeners, but at the same time I think one of the reasons why it is so talked about is that I find it to be a very accessible album. Yeah it's hip hop, but it has a lot of pop, electronic, rockish elements to it. So there's something for everyone. And I feel that an album like that also opens peoples minds to new music. For example... I used to really hate rap, but after listening to Beck and his other songs I found that I was more open to it. I think it does have to do with the accessibility of the album, because if it wasn't then why haven't most coldplayers raved about say the new Eminem album (which has gotten a lot of acclaim and has been nominated for many grammys?)

Personally... I didn't really see Kanye as being really hyped up here to much prior to the release of the album. Honestly I didn't even know he was releasing an album until he did. I find that though this album wasn't so hyped up prior to the release, that afterwards it was. Also I feel that Kanye is such a big artist that there is going to be hype with him... though usually that hype is started by his big ego :P

also I must add that I feel that this wouldn't be as big of a heated debate if it didn't have to deal with bands that are popular on the forum or favorite bands of others.

Overall I think regardless of who's side you are on that both people should respect the others opinions. So i think that briggs should respect that alexa thinks that the albums were overhyped/overrated, and that alexa should respect briggins strong opinion on the topic or relation to the bands.

If anything you guys should just agree to disagree.